IGNORED

Uptone Audio Regen

Well we thought about using ferrets, but they are illegal here in California. ;)

[ATTACH=CONFIG]19355[/ATTACH]

That reminds me of (rumours) of another movie star ... maybe I am getting the vermin mixed up.

Anyway, mid September, that is about 12 weeks ... 84 sleeps until the announcement ... not that I am curious about it or anything :)

Speaker : iPhone 6S Plus > UpTone Audio USB Regen (x2) > Benchmark DAC1 Pre > Pass Labs INT-30A > Focal Micro Utopia BE

Headphone : Auralic Aries > Auralic Gemini 2000 > Audeze LCD-X

Power & Tweaks : Heaps of Balanced & Isolation Power supplies, Dedicated Line, Vinnie Rossi MINI PURE-DC-4EVR, HD-Plex LPSU, iFi Audio DC iPurifiers, DIY Resonance/Vibration platforms using Townshend Audio Seismic Isolation Pods

Can someone remind me again of when batch #2 of the $45 Ambers head out? No, not getting toey. Nope, definitely not.

macmini M1>ethernet / elgar iso tran(2.5kVa, .0005pfd)>consonance pw-3 boards>ghent ethernet(et linkway cat8 jssg360)>etherRegen(js-2)>ghent ethernet(et linkway cat8 jssg360) >ultraRendu (clones lpsu>lps1.2)>curious regen link>rme adi-2 dac(js-2)>cawsey cables>naquadria sp2 passive pre> 1.naquadria lucien mkII.5 power>elac fs249be + elac 4pi plus.2> 2.perreaux9000b(mods)>2x naquadria 12” passive subs.

Can someone remind me again of when batch #2 of the $45 Ambers head out? No, not getting toey. Nope, definitely not.

Post #1657 ... from Superdad on 20th June

"Hi Mike:

Only 30 amber upgrade kits went out this week. I have 300 boards coming in over the next 10 days, and when the first 100 or so arrive about the 26th, we will immediately test and send out kits to the remaining 63 people who ordered one. Thanks for your patience.

--Alex C."

So hopefully it is real soon now (unless I missed some other update posted by Alex C.).

John

Speaker : iPhone 6S Plus > UpTone Audio USB Regen (x2) > Benchmark DAC1 Pre > Pass Labs INT-30A > Focal Micro Utopia BE

Power & Tweaks : Heaps of Balanced & Isolation Power supplies, Dedicated Line, Vinnie Rossi MINI PURE-DC-4EVR, HD-Plex LPSU, iFi Audio DC iPurifiers, DIY Resonance/Vibration platforms using Townshend Audio Seismic Isolation Pods

Haha, thanks for reminding me Al Jones! I've had one for years, just got it out of the closet and connected it to the Regen! :)

[ATTACH=CONFIG]19351[/ATTACH]

PS: No this no CGI but a real photo of my BOTWS linear PSU (with integrated SBooster module) and a Regen!

Devs,

I look forward to hearing your impressions.

Please note that your BOTWS (Best of Two Worlds Solutions) was replaced a while back by the even more clumsily named BOTW P&P ECO (P&P apparently stands for Power & Precision) on their website.

Al J.

Modem/router + Keces DC-116 12V LPS - SGC Sonic Transporter + Sonore 12V LPS/Edwards Audio ISO-1 mains isolation transformer - Meicord Opal LAN cables - Aqvox Switch + Sbooster 9V LPS/Uptone LPS-1 - Etalon Isolator - Sonore Signature Rendu Special Edition + Mad Scientist Heretical USB data-only cable - Sonore Ultradigital + Uptone LPS-1 - PS Audio I2S-12 cable - HQ Player - Holo Spring Level 3 DAC -  iPeng on iPad 2 - MK Sound 300 monitors - Mad Audio Scientist Tungsten Carbide footers - Niels Larsen NLE speaker cables - Walker Audio Reference Plus HIGH Definition Links - 2 MK Sound MX350 subs - Shakti Stones - Herbie's Super Sonic Stabilizers - Herbie's Tenderfeet - Stillpoints ERS EMI/RFI sheets - Gutwire Ultimate Ground + Entreq Minimus + Silver Minimus grounding boxes - Symposium Rollerblocks - Symposium Ultra platform - Akiko Tuning Sticks

Hi Al Jones, thanks, yes I am aware they've upgraded their line. I used to use the BotWS (yes, clumsily and even 'silly' named devices! :D) to power my DSpeaker Anti-Mode Dual Core 2.0 active DSP that sits between my Devialet 250 and JL Audio F112 sub but to reduce' clutter' I stopped using it when I received a HDPlex LPSU which had both a 12V and 19V rail.

I'm changing too much at once at the moment (JPlay 6.1 upgrade, Devialet 8.1 firmware upgrade, switch from copper ethernet to fiber optics ethernet and the Regen) so I'm taking a bit more time evaluating everything but will eventually form a more definitive opinion.

Right now I am not fully convinced the Regen will stay, it does things very well but there's also things I don't like about it. So I am hoping a LPSU or the upcoming Uptone PSU add-on will improve things. FYI posted more details about that here: http://www.computeraudiophile.com/f6-dac-digital-analog-conversion/uptone-audio-regen-listening-impressions-24078/index23.html#post439112 (there's too many Regen topics! ;))

I really do not want to fuel speculation about the crazy thing John and I are working on, but let's just say it will be a forth way, different from any of the above-named three.

Ciao,

--Alex C.

Do you mind answering this. For those of us with a JS-2 will this new device be of any advantage?

W10 NUC i7 (Gen 10) > Roon (Audiolense FIR) > Motu UltraLite mk5 > (4) Hypex NCore NC502MP > JBL M2 Master Reference +4 subs

Watch my Podcast https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCXMw_bZWBMtRWNJQfTJ38kA/videos

Well we thought about using ferrets, but they are illegal here in California. ;)

[ATTACH=CONFIG]19355[/ATTACH]

lethal weapons

Everyone *must* read this:

The King of the Ferret Leggers | Outside Online

One never knows, do one? - Fats Waller

The fairest thing we can experience is the mysterious. It is the fundamental emotion which stands at the cradle of true art and true science. - Einstein

Computer, Audirvana -> optical Ethernet to Fitlet3 -> Fibbr Alpha Optical USB -> iFi NEO iDSD DAC -> Apollon Audio 1ET400A Mini (Purifi based) -> Vandersteen 3A Signature.

That can not be real, can it?

Why would a man risk himself like that?

I was both laughing and crying reading it.

That can not be real, can it?

Why would a man risk himself like that?

I was both laughing and crying reading it.

It is indeed real. It was written in 1983 (despite the 2012 date on the web page), and sadly, since then, Mr. Mellor has shuffled off this mortal coil. However, his memory assuredly lives on.

The fairest thing we can experience is the mysterious. It is the fundamental emotion which stands at the cradle of true art and true science. - Einstein

Computer, Audirvana -> optical Ethernet to Fitlet3 -> Fibbr Alpha Optical USB -> iFi NEO iDSD DAC -> Apollon Audio 1ET400A Mini (Purifi based) -> Vandersteen 3A Signature.

It is indeed real. It was written in 1983 (despite the 2012 date on the web page), and sadly, since then, Mr. Mellor has shuffled off this mortal coil. However, his memory assuredly lives on.

Thanks for confirming.

Sad to hear he has passed away ... he certainly was courageous & brave.

Certainly makes being an Audiophile look like a much saner hobby

A tip for anyone connecting for the first time with USB cables over 1 metre:

Connect to your PC with the short USB cable provided first!!!

The reason for this tip is as follows, I reset my main Audio PC back to GUI mode based on advice here for Server 2012 R2 and when I connected using my 1.2 metres PPA Red USB cable I got the following:

Unknown USB Device (device descriptor request failed) with the usual window error symbol on the USB device list.

I then booted up my Win 8.1 laptop and tried it using an Ultraviolet 1.5 metre cable and the same problem occurred!!

I could not find any guidance on what to do here or on the Uptone site so after all kinds of reboots and uninstalls and attempts at generic driver installs I tried the short USB cable that came with the Regen and straight away I could see in Device Manager it picked up the device fine.

The tried the long Ultraviolet cable again and all OK.

Back to my main Audio PC with Server 2012 R2 and same procedure got the device recognised straight away.

Hope this helps, need to get back to Core mode again now and start listening to some music.

Cheers, Pearse.

Audio PC - Gigabyte H97M-D3H, i7 at 800Mhz, RAM at 800Mhz & PPA OCXO Mobo, Teradak ATX Linear for 20 pin ATX on Mobo, Paul Hynes SR7EHD 12v, 5v & 5v supply on Mobo, Stammheim 12x LT3045's for 1.3v to RAM direct supply, JCat V2 USB Card, WTFPlay Linux Audiophile Player control by MELE F10, Startech LEX to REX on 12v Paul Hynes with 2x SLC cards and out by POE to ISO/Regen, PPA Red USB Cable, Lampizator Big7, Nige design Lifepo4 powered amp, Raidho C1s.

A tip for anyone connecting for the first time with USB cables over 1 metre:

Connect to your PC with the short USB cable provided first!!!

The reason for this tip is as follows, I reset my main Audio PC back to GUI mode based on advice here for Server 2012 R2 and when I connected using my 1.2 metres PPA Red USB cable I got the following:

Unknown USB Device (device descriptor request failed) with the usual window error symbol on the USB device list.

I then booted up my Win 8.1 laptop and tried it using an Ultraviolet 1.5 metre cable and the same problem occurred!!

I could not find any guidance on what to do here or on the Uptone site so after all kinds of reboots and uninstalls and attempts at generic driver installs I tried the short USB cable that came with the Regen and straight away I could see in Device Manager it picked up the device fine.

The tried the long Ultraviolet cable again and all OK.

Back to my main Audio PC with Server 2012 R2 and same procedure got the device recognised straight away.

Hope this helps, need to get back to Core mode again now and start listening to some music.

Cheers, Pearse.

Thanks very much for the tip Pearse! Although the REGEN is functions just like a USB hub (only MUCH better sounding due to purpose-built design details), there are indeed a world of possible little quirks in getting the DAC recognized through it for the first time--mostly with Windows. But once you s/w learns its path, it generally remembers. Not sure why some USB cables add to the confusion sometimes, but that does seem to be a pattern.

Anyway, glad you got it going. Enjoy!

--Alex C.

Hang on gentlemen:

Some explanation is in order. And I would not want to see an earnest engineer from another small firm bashed about in this or any REGEN thread.

Mr. Draaijer of SBooster did telephone me a couple of weeks ago. I believe he will be sending us two versions of his devices to try. And he was/is interested in our potentially endorsing them for use with the REGEN. I was polite and interested in learning more about what he is doing, and while I may have mentioned to him that we have our own plans for a PS add on, I did not go into any details (and what we are doing is ENTIRELY different anyway).

From what I understand of the SBooster/BoTW approach, he takes, in the case of the inexpensive in-line products, an SMPS and tames it with filters. Every SMPS has its own characteristic high frequency noise signature depending upon is design, and his approach is to design filters appropriate to each. He told me that he tested a Mean Well (either the exact one I supply or from a similar Mean Well series), and designed a couple of versions of filters for it specifically (though I do not believe he has a REGEN itself).

<SNIP>

Another data point...

Soundcheck (of Touch Toolbox fame) also mentioned the SBooster filters and supplies favorably in his blog post on hardware & network optimizations for a Squeezebox environment here:

soundcheck's - audio@vise: Touch Toolbox 3.0 - HW and Network

I have no experience with them, just thought people would want to know about this 2nd data point.

OTOH, I am VERY interested in the above-mentioned PS JS & Alex are working up in their diabolical lab! Nope, I don't have a Regen and am doing my best to avoid needing one (no USB in my computer/digital music playback systems, either current, planned, or envisioned). AND my experience is that JS's work tends to have potential for positive impacts in other applications.

Greg in Mississippi

Everything Matters!

2 systems... Well-Tempered Refs->ET-2.5->DIY or Lounge LCR MkII phono stages

Standalone digital Sony HAP Z1-ES or SDTrans384/Soekris DAM DAC

Networked digital Zotac PI320-W2 LMS Server -> EtherRegen -> USBBridge Sig -> Katana / Ian GB / Soerkis / Buffalo-IIIPro DACs

Passive S&B TX102 TVC or ladder attenuators -> BHK-250 -> Eminent Tech LFT-VIII / IV / VI

ALL gear modified / DIY'd; cables MIT;  all supplies DIY’d or LPS-1.2s w/HUGE Ultracaps; Audio gear on DIY AC filters + PS Aud P15s; misc gear on separate AC w/filters

Man, I'm eager for those additional boards to arrive and the remainder of the Amber replacement boards to be mailed--I've been pretty much thrilled with the sound of my Regen green, so the talk about significant improvement has me excited about updating to the Amber!!

Randy

Thanks very much for the tip Pearse! Although the REGEN is functions just like a USB hub (only MUCH better sounding due to purpose-built design details), there are indeed a world of possible little quirks in getting the DAC recognized through it for the first time--mostly with Windows. But once you s/w learns its path, it generally remembers. Not sure why some USB cables add to the confusion sometimes, but that does seem to be a pattern.

--Alex C.

They could as well expact to an audiophile special "switch", with good power, input ethernet, output usb & SPDIF.

The problems are more a less the same for the ethernet transmition; how to block noise, and how to deliver timelt (low jitter).

Can someone explain the "phsysics" behind so many USB Regen users reporting improved bass performance?

In my handicapped understanding of John Swenson's posts explaining how the USB Regen works, I'm left thinking that its beneficial effects would not be frequency-dependent, that the USB Regen would bring improvements that are more or less uniform across the audible spectrum.

Mike

--Alex C.

Offered to support the contrast frame for comparison to other members' experience with their equipment, OS, USB cables, converters etc: My system recognized the Regen Amber immediately, when installed alone, using the solid adapter and powered by the Mean Well SMPS. I checked AMS, and saw my W4S Dac2 DSDse which is tethered to my Mac Mini mid 2011 Thunderbolt Edition by a LightHarmonic LightSpeed (0.8M, standard, the red one). I am employing OSX 10.10.3.

After installing the MMK and connecting all the UpTone Audio components/cabling to the JS-2 including removing the Mean Well SMPS and connecting the Regen Amber to DC Outlet 1 set at 7V, Mac Mini to Outlet 2 set at 12V, and connecting the sensor cable from JS-2 sensor port to the port on the MMK for regulating the Fan Controller in the Mac Mini, the same outcome, to wit: All equipment was recognized immediately by OSX and AMS without any hitches.

Best,

Richard

PS

I did not notice improved bass performance which from my system "as was" was fabulous before the Regen Amber was introduced. So was the soundstage and location of instruments. What I noticed was that the voicing of the instruments took on a clarity and smoothness and additional dimensionality (what the words mean and what the sound sounds like are subject to interpretation). There wasn't more bass there was more pronouncement, brushes on snare, cymbals, sibilance, tonality, timbre, as if a 3D screen was upgraded to 5K (mixing metaphors of sound and vision).

PPS

I wanted to turn the volume down and did so without any loss in detailing.

Can someone explain the "phsysics" behind so many USB Regen users reporting improved bass performance?

In my handicapped understanding of John Swenson's posts explaining how the USB Regen works, I'm left thinking that its beneficial effects would not be frequency-dependent, that the USB Regen would bring improvements that are more or less uniform across the audible spectrum.

Mike

My $.02, and I don't have a Regen yet: bass performance (including gain, a reduction of one-note bloat and better weight) is the easiest to quickly discern, especially in a system that may not be especially balanced to begin with. Akin to weight loss being determined by belt size (all the while a tightening up of all areas, and a feeling of ease and strength while doing daily routines are as significant).

Mike

I'm totally with you on this question. I can fully see how the reduction in noise can produce the benefits of blacker background, ease and relaxed sound, better sound stage, etc however you want to describe the benefits of the Regen, but don't comprehend how it can produce that bass. I would love an explanation too.

Bob

Mac Mini M1 12 volt dc > Roon > HQ Player to DSD 256 > Fibre to EtherRegen w/LPS1.2 and BG7TBL OCXO > Sonore microRendu v1.3 > IsoRegen > Denafrips Iris > i2s  > Denafrips Pontus II > Schiit Freya+ w/ Linlai E-6SN7's >  Nord One Up NCore 500 monoblocks REV D w/SI990Enh op amps > Martin Logan Impression 11A w/ dual Rythmik E15HP2 subs. Supra Cat8, JPS Labs Superconductor+ cables

I'm totally with you on this question. I can fully see how the reduction in noise can produce the benefits of blacker background, ease and relaxed sound, better sound stage, etc however you want to describe the benefits of the Regen, but don't comprehend how it can produce that bass. I would love an explanation too.

Maybe I'm oversimplifying (and I only have the original Regen, not the Amber), but given the frequencies involved, it makes sense to me that noise more easily obscures bass frequencies than higher frequencies....thus with less noise as the result of the Regen, I hear what I would describe as tighter bass, not necessarily more bass...

Randy

As mentioned in a couple of prior notes, I actually thought the music in general was louder with the Regen. Though I measured and found it wasn't the case, it sounded louder, perhaps due to less obscuring noise. Couple that with a sense of greater detail throughout the audible range (not artificial, "zippy" detail, but the idea that even small things are comfortably audible), plus improved soundstage and imaging for easier localization and following of instrumental lines, and the impression of more audible (though tighter) bass pretty well falls out naturally from that, I think.

Finally I get my Blue USB Regen. No problem with customs here, but with the rivers and dangerous jungle to reach his destination.

Thanks Alex & John for the pure silver DC cable.

I have not had time to listen but I guess that far surpass the green and amber I already had.

Blue USB Regen.jpg

Roch

My $.02, and I don't have a Regen yet: bass performance (including gain, a reduction of one-note bloat and better weight) is the easiest to quickly discern, especially in a system that may not be especially balanced to begin with. Akin to weight loss being determined by belt size (all the while a tightening up of all areas, and a feeling of ease and strength while doing daily routines are as significant).

Or... more accurate timing like in DSD...! :)

Roch