IGNORED

Official TIDAL HIFI Streaming Issues Thread

If TIDAL sounds bad, double check you have it set in HIFI mode, also I've found a lot of pop music sounds bad because it's poorly recorded....

I'm definitely playing HIFI mode. I agree lots of pop music is poorly recorded, compressed and so on ... but I'm comparing TIDAL to my own rips which sound so much better.

Pareto Audio AMD 7700 Server --> Berkeley Alpha USB --> Jeff Rowland Aeris --> Jeff Rowland 625 S2 --> Focal Utopia 3 Diablos with 2 x Focal Electra SW 1000 BE subs

i7-6700K/Windows 10  --> EVGA Nu Audio Card --> Focal CMS50's 

I'm definitely playing HIFI mode. I agree lots of pop music is poorly recorded, compressed and so on ... but I'm comparing TIDAL to my own rips which sound so much better.

The other thing you could try is a different player, as the Apple products I've tried with TIDAL don't sound great, as Apple is a competitor to TIDAL this isn't surprising. Did the Auralic Aries, you mentioned earlier in the thread, sound any better than your MBP?

The other thing you could try is a different player, as the Apple products I've tried with TIDAL don't sound great, as Apple is a competitor to TIDAL this isn't surprising. Did the Auralic Aries, you mentioned earlier in the thread, sound any better than your MBP?

Sigh- there are no Apple products that are Tidal players. There are Tidal players that run on MacOS. Right now, I think they are the only Atidal apps that run period, the Windows ones being broken.

But yes, I expect thst finally, at last, we will here about some New Apple products at WDC. Second of June.

-Paul

Anyone who considers protocol unimportant has never dealt with a cat DAC.

Robert A. Heinlein

Sigh- there are no Apple products that are Tidal players. There are Tidal players that run on MacOS. Right now, I think they are the only Atidal apps that run period, the Windows ones being broken.

But yes, I expect thst finally, at last, we will here about some New Apple products at WDC. Second of June.

-Paul

Sigh- it's quite obvious what I meant and for your information the TIDAL app runs fine on Android & iOS, they haven't developed an app for Windows mobile devices yet but you can use their webplayer with google chrome browser.

Sigh- it's quite obvious what I meant and for your information the TIDAL app runs fine on Android & iOS, they haven't developed an app for Windows mobile devices yet but you can use their webplayer with google chrome browser.

No, the thinly vieled hostility towards Apple is very un-amusing, as well as the non-working Windows desktop App, and the insinuation that Apple is competing with Tidal. Based on numbers and sales, it is very much the other way around. Which is normally unimportant.

Honestly, I do not see anything innovative about Tidal, while I do see a lot of behavior that makes me unconfortable, overpricing, and a few other things, like some folks having less than reliable service experiences. To be fair, when people like Chris praise it, that also tells me there is a lot good about it.

And then, I do not use streaming as a primary music source. I use it mostly to check out new music I want to buy.

Anyone who considers protocol unimportant has never dealt with a cat DAC.

Robert A. Heinlein

What I really want to do is to use TIDAL with an external player on either Mac or PC. I've been following Geoffrey Armstrong's TIDAL add-on for Kodi, which people are successfully using with HQPlayer. Unfortunately my current player A+ does not support FLAC streaming yet.

Those who use JRMC, have a look at this. Kind of surprising that TIDAL and JRMC aren't getting along.

No Tidal Music Service in MC

It sure seems that TIDAL isn't focused on partnering with existing external players on audio optimized Mac and PC platforms. This makes no sense, because a lot of audiophiles want to do exactly that.

I haven't directly compared TIDAL on my rMBP to TIDAL on the Aries. What I can tell you is that TIDAL on the Aries is disappointing compared to the same rips played from a CAPS-like server to the Aries. So the solution isn't just replacing my rMBP with an Aries.

Prior to the recent changes to TIDAL's content distribution network, it was very reliable. Now I get frequent dropouts during the day on the east coast USA. It works fine later at night.

Pareto Audio AMD 7700 Server --> Berkeley Alpha USB --> Jeff Rowland Aeris --> Jeff Rowland 625 S2 --> Focal Utopia 3 Diablos with 2 x Focal Electra SW 1000 BE subs

What I really want to do is to use TIDAL with an external player on either Mac or PC. I've been following Geoffrey Armstrong's TIDAL add-on for Kodi, which people are successfully using with HQPlayer. Unfortunately my current player A+ does not support FLAC streaming yet.

Those who use JRMC, have a look at this. Kind of surprising that TIDAL and JRMC aren't getting along.

No Tidal Music Service in MC

It sure seems that TIDAL isn't focused on partnering with existing external players on audio optimized Mac and PC platforms. This makes no sense, because a lot of audiophiles want to do exactly that.

I haven't directly compared TIDAL on my rMBP to TIDAL on the Aries. What I can tell you is that TIDAL on the Aries is disappointing compared to the same rips played from a CAPS-like server to the Aries. So the solution isn't just replacing my rMBP with an Aries.

Prior to the recent changes to TIDAL's content distribution network, it was very reliable. Now I get frequent dropouts during the day on the east coast USA. It works fine later at night.

Thanks, good to know. I'm still searching for the best device for TIDAL, so far the Oppo N3 phone sounds best to me. I plan to try the Sony Z phones/DAP next as mobile devices seem to work well. This is the best sound I've heard from digital playback since the CD was launched and as enjoyable as my vinyl rig (assuming a good digital transfer/recording).

Jimmy - I highly recommend you quit subscribing to TIDAL. This will save you massive amounts of time because you will no longer have to comment in every thread multiple times about your issues. Over the course of a year this could save you a lot of time :~)

I don't agree either Chris. I have been using Spotify on my Mac Mini connected to my Cyrus Lyric 09 via USB B with no issues whatsoever. I live in Hong Kong and have 1 GB Fibre Optic cable and get an average of 600MB as my Mac Mini is connected via ethernet cable. I have started using Tidal via the web player using Chrome and it seems to buffer after 30 mins causing me to have to shut down Chrome and restart. I have tested using lower stream rates and I still have the same issue. I know it's not my internet - it absolutely must be something on Tidal's end. Whilst I want to have Hi-Fi streaming - unless they sort this out quickly I will not continue to subscribe.

Because of the frequent dropouts with the Mac-App and the Chrome-Browser-App (would you buy a CD with dropouts?) i tried to use the iOS-App with my iPad.

That works well (without dropouts) in offline mode.

BUT:

Random albums are not playable in "HiFi" on the iOS device where the same albums play in "HiFi" in the Mac-App and Chrome. You can't predict which albums these are when you compile a playlist on the Mac. Compiling a playlist on an iOS device is pure horror.

One example of many: Acoustic Jazz Quartet (Artist and Album).

Plays in "HiFi" in the Mac-App but not in the iOS-App.

Because of the frequent dropouts with the Mac-App and the Chrome-Browser-App (would you buy a CD with dropouts?) i tried to use the iOS-App with my iPad.

That works well (without dropouts) in offline mode.

BUT:

Random albums are not playable in "HiFi" on the iOS device where the same albums play in "HiFi" in the Mac-App and Chrome. You can't predict which albums these are when you compile a playlist on the Mac. Compiling a playlist on an iOS device is pure horror.

One example of many: Acoustic Jazz Quartet (Artist and Album).

Plays in "HiFi" in the Mac-App but not in the iOS-App.

Yes, I found the Mac App to be the best source of "HIFI". I'm not sure why the inconsistencies between apps exist. It sure would be nice if a representative of Tidal would chime in.

"The function of music is to release us from the tyranny of conscious thought", Sir Thomas Beecham. 

Hey,

This is my first post to Computer Audiophile. I needed to find others who had been experiencing the same issues with Tidal so I did a Google search and found this forum.

I subscribed to Tidal about two months ago, use the Mac desktop app and have been pleased - until recently - with the quality of audio. There are some issues: it can be a disappointment when a desired artist or album isn't available; but there's been more than enough variety on the service to keep my speakers warm. Though it can be startling how the very first fraction of a second of music at beginning of songs get clipped sometimes. It met my expectations.

Like others, I have been having trouble over the last week with Tidal dropping out, pausing, and locking up on me. Prior to this, I had been able to multitask on the same computer running Tidal in HIFI mode with no problems. Even running the app or web player standalone and using a different computer to work, the pauses, interruptions and lockups continue. I know the issue isn't local to my network or ISP. I cut the cable cord and now I stream everything (in HD) and rarely have buffering pauses. (Love me my Sling, HBO Now, etc.)

Several weeks ago, just prior to the big sale announcement, Tidal was having issues with the desktop player app. I switched to using Chrome (can't use Safari and get HIFI quality) and the service streamed well. They had posted instructions to do this at the FAQ section of the tidal.com website. They don't have any info posted there regarding issues. I have submitted a ticket.

So I'm hoping these pauses, glitches, lockups are just growing pains for Tidal. I don't think $20/month is too much for access to a CD library that large. The iOS app works great and I love being able to download content for offline use. It's nice listening to rented CD quality music in the car. Just don't let your device go to sleep during the offline download. It pauses the download.

I will try to keep this issue updated. Thanks for sharing your wisdom and insights.

I have another kind of severe dropouts:

Entire albums that i compiled into my playlists have vanished. They aren't in Tidal's music catalog any more but have been a while ago when i made the playlists.

Very frustrating!

Yes. I noticed this also.

The stream drop-outs, pauses, interruptions don't happen as much if I lower the rate from HIFI to High quality. Hmmmm.

T.

I remember trying to sign up a few years back, before it was offered in the US.

Thanks. I will give it a try.

(I am unable to tell the difference - in a blind test - between a 320kbps and a 16/44.1 FLAC version of the same track.) (Yet.)

T.

I remember trying to sign up a few years back, before it was offered in the US.

Thanks. I will give it a try.

(I am unable to tell the difference - in a blind test - between a 320kbps and a 16/44.1 FLAC version of the same track.) (Yet.)

T.

TIDAL sound quality is very dependent on the device used, I've found the Sony ZX1 & ZX2 DAPS work well. As you have an account you can try it out at a Sony store. I'm sure you will hear the clear difference between 320kbps and 16/44.1.

TIDAL must be continuing to refine it's content delivery network. Lately I've found the first track I select to play starts playing almost immediately, probably before the entire track has been transferred. This never happened before.

Unfortunately, I still occasionally find a track starts to play and then suddenly stops. If I reselect that track, sometimes the same thing happens again and sometimes it plays all the way through. I can always select a different track and it plays fine. It's mystifying.

I'm still using the original OS X desktop client, so there hasn't been any change in logic from an application point of view.

I always use HiFi (redbook quality) streaming. If the track I select isn't available in HiFi I'm not interested. It sure would be nice if TIDAL gave some indication of whether tracks are available in HiFi prior to playing them. I have to see whether the HiFi indicator is white or greyed out once the track starts playing to determine whether it's redbook quality. Usually when I think something sounds bad I discover that the HiFi indicator is greyed out.

The iOS app is much improved. I'm now able to stream at HIFI resolution on my company's wifi network. Previously I had to reduce it to High to allow smooth playback.

Digital:  Sonore opticalModule > Uptone EtherRegen > Shunyata Sigma Ethernet > Antipodes K30 > Shunyata Omega USB > Gustard X26pro DAC < Mutec REF10 SE120

Amp & Speakers:  Spectral DMA-150mk2 > Aerial 10T

Foundation: Stillpoints Ultra, Shunyata Denali v1 and Typhon x1 power conditioners, Shunyata Delta v2 and QSA Lanedri Gamma Revelation and Infinity power cords, QSA Lanedri Gamma Revelation XLR interconnect, Shunyata Sigma Ethernet, MIT Matrix HD 60 speaker cables, GIK bass traps, ASC Isothermal tube traps, Stillpoints Aperture panels, Quadraspire SVT rack, PGGB 256

I canceled my Tidal subscription last week after a month of poor / broken / constantly dropping streaming... but first I submitted a ticket. This morning I received this:

"Hello Marshall,Thank you for contacting TIDAL customer support.

Please try to play something on the frontpage of TIDAL, Rihanna for example. About 50% of our content is moved to new servers. If you play some from the old servers you might experience some issues. If Rihanna plays ok, that shows that all content should work well soon, after everything is moved.

Best Regards,

Erik

TIDAL Support"

I'm not sure if my problems will be solved, but I'm certainly holding out until others report good streaming once again. In the meantime I'm seeing there aren't many options for high quality streamed sound. Fingers crossed.

-Marshall Hance

Asheville, NC

Chromebox>Schiitstack>Ncore 400>KEF LS50

I canceled my Tidal subscription last week after a month of poor / broken / constantly dropping streaming... but first I submitted a ticket. This morning I received this:

"Hello Marshall,Thank you for contacting TIDAL customer support.

Please try to play something on the frontpage of TIDAL, Rihanna for example. About 50% of our content is moved to new servers. If you play some from the old servers you might experience some issues. If Rihanna plays ok, that shows that all content should work well soon, after everything is moved.

Best Regards,

Erik

TIDAL Support"

I'm not sure if my problems will be solved, but I'm certainly holding out until others report good streaming once again. In the meantime I'm seeing there aren't many options for high quality streamed sound. Fingers crossed.

-Marshall Hance

Asheville, NC

What really puzzles me about Tidal is why they don't make their problems, server updates and what not more visible. Why is it that folks need to get this information from CA instead of Tidal. Hiding technical difficulties is plain stupid, as people simply drop the service thinking this is the norm. Once someone tries the service and quits in frustration it will be very hard to get them back. They don't seem to understand how to communicate with their customers.

"The function of music is to release us from the tyranny of conscious thought", Sir Thomas Beecham. 

What really puzzles me about Tidal is why they don't make their problems, server updates and what not more visible. Why is it that folks need to get this information from CA instead of Tidal. Hiding technical difficulties is plain stupid, as people simply drop the service thinking this is the norm. Once someone tries the service and quits in frustration it will be very hard to get them back. They don't seem to understand how to communicate with their customers.

Ditto here. I got the same email message reply from Tidal last night from my April 22 complaint.

I am listening to the Rhiannon Giddens album now with now interruptions. Funny thing: just now I checked back to Tidal to get the artists name spelled correctly and noticed this message, again:

"We are experiencing HiFi playback problem. This may be caused by low bandwidth. You could try to switch streaming quality in settings"

Then I realized I wasn't listening to Rihanna but a different artist altogether. Anyway, Rihanna is streaming now. No problems.

I guess Rhiannon Giddens is on the old servers.

And I just became a big fan of Rhiannon Giddens. Just amazing. This is what Tidal and Spotify do so well: expose me to music I might not have picked on my own. (Rihanna isn't chopped liver either. Girl's got pipes.)

Still no interruptions to my Tidal HIFI stream. Hopefully, the server transition will resolve this. (Why don't they simply advise us of the work they're doing? I'm a lot more loyal to a service provider that is honest about quality of service issues and allows me to adjust my expectations. It's Tidal, not iTunes. We know about growing pains.)

Finally, and off-topic: My current listening session is happening just after I installed some entry-level bi-wire speaker cables from Mogami that I ordered thru Amazon. Holy amazeballs! I immediately noticed a bigger mid-range and deeper bass than I had ever known from this system. And then I noticed that I forgot to turn my sub on after I connected everything. Even bigger. I am in bliss. Another reason to love Rihanna and Rhiannon Giddens: they were with me when it happened. I just know everything will sound even better when I get really good equipment. This is no commercial - I am very skeptical of most of the cabling claims I read about.

Still no Tidal interruptions of pauses. (I have been composing, surfing, streaming on the same MacMini as the Tidal app.)

Fingers crossed.

T.

As long as you are talking to them, could you ask them to include liner notes (as Naxos is doing for its streaming service) and generally to up their game on classical and jazz. As an early (November 2014) TIDAL HiFi adopter, I often feel like the black sheep in the TIDAL family because I am less interested in their mainstream offerings (not uninterested, just less so). At $20 a month, I feel I and all other TIDAL HiFi users deserve white-glove treatment.

Other improvements I would like to see:

A truly functional search feature (good grief, why can't it have a fuzzy logic spelling tool? Off by one letter? No music for you!)

Tags for classical and jazz that make sense. Ensemble, conductor, soloist(s), composer, piece, movement for classical. Leader, group name, album and song for jazz. That would be enough.