IGNORED

Official TIDAL HIFI Streaming Issues Thread

For me Tidal on pc under Windows 8.1 runs fine for the first track. Then it starts cutting out and skipping and eventually hangs. Web runs fine. I also raised an enhancement for WASAPI support.

Synology DS214+ with MinimServer --> Ethernet --> Sonore mRendu / SOtM SMS-200 --> Chord Hugo --> Chord interconnects --> Naim NAP 200--> Chord speaker cable --> Focal Aria 948

Article is spot on. Tidal has the same issues - even using Roon along with it. As mentioned, not only is Classical a niche market but I imagine most hardcore afficianodos skew older demographically so there probably is not much desire to throw a lot of sw manpower behind the problem. Who I feel bad for is the younger generations who may be missing out on some wonderful music - because the applications will not let them explore in an intelligent, systematic way. Typing in "Beethoven" and getting a track from the "baby listens to Classical" CD by the New Tranylvania Symphony Orchestra is not doing the music much service. An example of too many metadata options and lack of classification uniformity taking a bad situation and potentially making it worse.

Digital System: Cybershaft 10MHz OCXO clock premium>Antelope Liveclock>RedNet D16>AES Cable>Mutec MC-3+ USB​>AES Cable>Schiit Yggy

What do you think has changed since the Jay Z purchase?

I am part of the "older demographic" that want to see more Classical, Jazz, and Blues albums and playlists for my $25 CDN per month. We grey haired audiophiles are the market for high priced HiFi streaming.

What I see on the What's New pages are 9/10 Hip Hop and Electronic Dub (Jay Z and Friends?).

I am enjoying the new Desktop app (Beta). See http://tidal.com/us/download

Apple iMac 27 > Bootstrap > Win7 > Meridian Explorer.

I love that the Apple TV remote controls back/forward and volume!

WINDOWS DESKTOP APP MISSING CONTROLS?

The app worked fine for a while, but now the Forward/Backward/Pause and More controls are missing. I tried re-installing, to no avail.

Any suggestions?

Report the issue to Tidal. Those apps are still Beta, not the final production version.

Synology DS214+ with MinimServer --> Ethernet --> Sonore mRendu / SOtM SMS-200 --> Chord Hugo --> Chord interconnects --> Naim NAP 200--> Chord speaker cable --> Focal Aria 948

• 3 weeks later...

I just started my Tidal trial subscripting but I haven't been able to figure out how to get the music to play through my system. It'll play through my laptop's internal speakers just fine. I'm on a Macbook Air connected to my amp via a USB cable. I went to the Mac's sound settings and selected my amp for the output, but still no luck. I'm wondering now if it's because I'm using Amarra HiFi to play my ripped CDs.

Is there a support phone number for Tidal?

Any help would really be appreciated.

I just started my Tidal trial subscripting but I haven't been able to figure out how to get the music to play through my system. It'll play through my laptop's internal speakers just fine. I'm on a Macbook Air connected to my amp via a USB cable. I went to the Mac's sound settings and selected my amp for the output, but still no luck. I'm wondering now if it's because I'm using Amarra HiFi to play my ripped CDs.

Is there a support phone number for Tidal?

Any help would really be appreciated.

In the Desktop app, have you looked at Settings, Streaming Tab, and selected the sound output? And since you're into the Amarra sound, you do a trial of Amarra sQ. You then have the Tidal app output to Soundstream and the sQ output to usb device. I would hold off on buying sQ since Amarra for Tidal should be out soon.

Also found in there web app menu the FAQ where you can submit a question and they'll get back to you: https://support.tidal.com/hc/en-us

In the Desktop app, have you looked at Settings, Streaming Tab, and selected the sound output? And since you're into the Amarra sound, you do a trial of Amarra sQ. You then have the Tidal app output to Soundstream and the sQ output to usb device. I would hold off on buying sQ since Amarra for Tidal should be out soon.

Also found in there web app menu the FAQ where you can submit a question and they'll get back to you: https://support.tidal.com/hc/en-us

Thanks for your help, I didn't even think to look for a settings tab in the Tidal app. Now that I know about it, I'm gonna go in there and try different settings. I'm also going to follow your suggestion about Amarra sQ, but I'll hold off on buying it and wait for Amarra for Tidal.

Thanks again for all your help!

Tried the standalone app (OS-X Mavericks). I keep getting this error message when I open it, and reported this to Tidal:

Screen Shot 2015-07-01 at 8.48.08 AM.jpg

Audio-Technica DSR5BT; Audio-Technica ATH-WP900 (balanced); FOCAL Clear (balanced); OPPO PM-3 (Double Helix Molecule 2.0 balanced cable); KEF M500; KEF Space One
OPPO HA-1; MERIDIAN Explorer2; MERIDIAN Explorer; & AUDIOQUEST Jitterbugs 
SONY NW-WM1A (Double Helix Molecule SE balanced cable for OPPO PM-3)
DEFINITIVE TECHNOLOGY Incline speakers & ProSub800 subwoofer
MacBook Pro Retina 15" (13,3); Audirvana Plus 3.x; & AIFF files
Tried the standalone app (OS-X Mavericks). I keep getting this error message when I open it, and reported this to Tidal:

[ATTACH=CONFIG]19483[/ATTACH]

Fixed as of today's update!

Audio-Technica DSR5BT; Audio-Technica ATH-WP900 (balanced); FOCAL Clear (balanced); OPPO PM-3 (Double Helix Molecule 2.0 balanced cable); KEF M500; KEF Space One
OPPO HA-1; MERIDIAN Explorer2; MERIDIAN Explorer; & AUDIOQUEST Jitterbugs 
SONY NW-WM1A (Double Helix Molecule SE balanced cable for OPPO PM-3)
DEFINITIVE TECHNOLOGY Incline speakers & ProSub800 subwoofer
MacBook Pro Retina 15" (13,3); Audirvana Plus 3.x; & AIFF files
  • 2 weeks later...

I think I read somewhere (probably in this thread) that with a HiFi subscription to Tidal, only about 75% of the music is actually streamed in lossless format. Is there a way to tell while a song is playing if its being streamed to me in FLAC or the AAC format?

I think I read somewhere (probably in this thread) that with a HiFi subscription to Tidal, only about 75% of the music is actually streamed in lossless format. Is there a way to tell while a song is playing if its being streamed to me in FLAC or the AAC format?

There's a small "HiFI"-label in the bottom-right corner which should be backlighted whenever you play lossless audio.

Playing in lossless:

I4m13.png

Playing in lossy:

n2cp2.png

There's a small "HiFI"-label in the bottom-right corner which should be backlighted whenever you play lossless audio.

Playing in lossless:

I4m13.png

Playing in lossy:

n2cp2.png

Thank you very much for the quick response! I knew there probably was a way to know how it was being streamed, but I couldn't find it.

Also... Make sure your WiFi streaming preferences are set to the highest quality.

Also... Make sure your WiFi streaming preferences are set to the highest quality.

And look out for the "Adaptive" option in Tidal HiFi's client settings. When updates are applied, they sometimes re-enable this as a default. Turning it off forces HiFi mode.

• 2 weeks later...

I can't seem login to Tidal on the Lightning DS app on both iPad and android for my Auralic Aries, anyone stumbled onto this issue? It says authentication failed: network error on the iPad. I know my username password is right because it works on my laptop perfectly fine.

I was streaming Tidal HiFi perfectly until I updated my Macbook Air to 10.10.4 and now my music pauses momentarily every few seconds.

Any ideas?

I'm not sure whether it started with 10.10.4, but I seem to have regular issues with Hifi streaming both at home and at work. The issues at work don't surprise me because the network is a mess, but at home it makes no sense (I test at 125/12 consistently on DSLreports and have no problem streaming audio and video from other services).

Has there been a spike in usage on Tidal since the JehZ deal and the change in target demographic?

• 1 month later...

Anyone have issues with Vega DAC? Wont' even play. Going to restart.

DIGITAL: Windows 7 x64 JRMC19 >Adnaco S3B fiber over USB (battery power)> Auralic Vega > Tortuga LDR custom LPSU > Zu Union Cubes + Deep Hemp Sub

ANALOG: PTP Audio Solid 9 > Audiomods Series V > Audio Technica Art-7 MC > Allnic H1201 > Tortuga LDR > Zu Union Cubes + Deep Hemp Sub

ACCESSORIES: PlatterSpeed, BlackCat cables, Antipodes Cables, Huffman Cables, Feickert Protracter, OMA Graphite mat, JRemote

• 2 weeks later...

Finally got around to trying the desktop app on both my windows7 laptop. What can I say.... It sounds fantastic! It has a very analog quality, reminiscent of my LP's and tapes which is game changer for me. For example one of my favourite LP's is Impressions by John Coltrane which I find unlistenable on CD and the previous Tidal web player but now it sounds great. Anyone else had a similar experience?

Tidal has streamed very well the last few months both on the standalone app and via Roon.

Occasionally, I get those "We are experiencing bandwidth problems..." messages yet I can't perceive any audio quality degradation when the message appears. In addition, the HIFI indicator stays on.

Though it was aggravating back in the late spring/early summer, the quality of streaming on Tidal has been superb since then.

T.