IGNORED

Official TIDAL HIFI Streaming Issues Thread

Chris: i did it said my email/username / password were incorrect i tried to sign in as new member and it said the name and password were already in use! as i stated elsewhere this started for me last week- end of march begining of april before /just after 'the announcement' plus all of a sudden i had no hifi

then i was told to get NaCl which i found embedded in google chrome at google://plugins

i disabled and enabled it several times and the grayed out HIFI in both apps became white

i was given 30 yes thirty days free on my account for all my frustration

in addition Amarra Sq+ didn't work at all for either app(or Qobuz)so i reinstalled Amarra SQ ver 2 and IT works ie Sqv2

why did all this confusion happen i never lost Qobuz hifi but Amarra Sq+ didn't work with Qobuz either

why doesn't TIDAL have a phone# and how did you all get notifications of the apps i never even knew there was a web app i have only had the mac desktop app now i have both and they both work nicely no sound quality issues pops crackles dropouts

sorry this reply is today hope you and others read it 4/9/2015

bobbmd

I'm having a problem but I don't know what is causing it.

I'm running Minimserver and BubbleUPNP on a Synology NAS to a Raspberry Pi 2 running Volumio, which is controlled by Linn Kazoo or the Lumin app.

When I play Tidal with the Linn Kazoo app it starts fine but somewhere around 3.5 minutes into the song it skips to the next song. If the song is less than 3.5 minutes it plays to entire song just fine.

I'm not sure what is causing. Anybody run into this before?

Thanks.

An update in case someone stumbles upon this. I think it was a audio buffer size issue. I changed the buffer from 64 to 96mb and the songs play all the way through now.

Thanks for the update. Odd that you didn't notice the same issue with Volumio when streaming just from MinimServer. It may be worth testing with a playlist full of hi-res files and seeing if the buffer needs readjusting.

We are far more united and have far more in common with each other than things that divide us.

-- Jo Cox

Jimmy: Your speed to the first server is not a great indication of speed and latency from the TIDAL servers. Try running a traceroute to the TIDAL servers (I don't know the urls but I'm sure it's easy to find out) and someone on the forum that has never experienced a dropout could do the same.

Now I imagine you're also getting dropouts on the Aries, right? If not then forget the above: something's very wrong with your computer --- the operator? :) Ducking right now.

Miggy,i have never had a dropout on the Aries with Tidal. But on two different mac computers ,I have .Both are wired to the router.No use of an ethernet switch. tried one computer wireless,still problems.This is with or without using Amarra SQ .When using Amarra SQ,Tidal frequently cuts outs when I open a web page. It's the initial opening of the web page that creates the most problems.

Tried a ramdisk with 1 gb ,still a problem. Tried a vpn in London,still a problem.

Miggy,i have never had a dropout on the Aries with Tidal. But on two different mac computers ,I have .Both are wired to the router.No use of an ethernet switch. tried one computer wireless,still problems.This is with or without using Amarra SQ .When using Amarra SQ,Tidal frequently cuts outs when I open a web page. It's the initial opening of the web page that creates the most problems.

Tried a ramdisk with 1 gb ,still a problem. Tried a vpn in London,still a problem.

Do you know anyone near by who has no such problems with their computer and is willing to swap in one of your computer's for a test? It should at least show if it's an issue with either your ISP(unlikely)/home network configuration (more likely) or your computer setup (likelyhood no comment :) ).

We are far more united and have far more in common with each other than things that divide us.

-- Jo Cox

Do you know anyone near by who has no such problems with their computer and is willing to swap in one of your computer's for a test? It should at least show if it's an issue with either your ISP(unlikely)/home network configuration (more likely) or your computer setup (likelyhood no comment :) ).

I have been using the TIdal webplayer on Chrome this morning .No dropouts for last 40 minutes .Im using Firefox to surf the web

A couple of days ago ,I did the same for an hour ,no cutouts so I'm thinking the problem resolved itself. Maybe the servers handling my area were the last ones upgraded? I have no idea.

Ok, firstly my guess is it has nothing to do with your hardware, whether you use a switch or a ramdisk. If the Aries does much longer buffering than the mac, that alone could do it.

If the latency of your network - TO TIDAL SERVERS - is high, then you would need a bigger buffer to be able to play without dropouts. My experience with Aries and Airplay suggests that Aries uses big buffers - which is generally a good thing though it delays initial startup of the tunes you select (not the tunes in the queue).

So I still stand by my suggestion: do a traceroute to TIDAL servers and compare that to other people's traceroutes. I am convinced you have long ping times / delays / latency.

NUC10i7 + Roon ROCK > dCS Rossini APEX DAC + dCS Rossini Master Clock 

SME 20/3 + SME V + Dynavector XV-1s or ANUK IO Gold > vdH The Grail or Kondo KSL-SFz + ANK L3 Phono 

Audio Note Kondo Ongaku > Avantgarde Duo Mezzo

Signal cables: Kondo Silver, Crystal Cable phono

Power cables: Kondo, Shunyata, van den Hul

system pics

I think it has to do with his ISP and NOTHING to do with his local network or computer.

NUC10i7 + Roon ROCK > dCS Rossini APEX DAC + dCS Rossini Master Clock 

SME 20/3 + SME V + Dynavector XV-1s or ANUK IO Gold > vdH The Grail or Kondo KSL-SFz + ANK L3 Phono 

Audio Note Kondo Ongaku > Avantgarde Duo Mezzo

Signal cables: Kondo Silver, Crystal Cable phono

Power cables: Kondo, Shunyata, van den Hul

system pics

So here's my experience today.330 -430 pm on the webplayer it worked flawless while i surfed the web.

430-513 pm - a few cutouts while surfing the web

I can only suspect that there are more people getting on the internet later and thats why Im getting a few cutouts.

Whether that is an Xfinity or TIdal problem who knows.

Thanks for the update. Odd that you didn't notice the same issue with Volumio when streaming just from MinimServer. It may be worth testing with a playlist full of hi-res files and seeing if the buffer needs readjusting.

Hi-res has always worked fine including 24/192. I don't know why it works now but I'm not going to mess with it.

Reporting only very rare dropouts, it plays full quality most of the times (via Linn Accurate DS). Very nice.

Stupid question: what does 'no audio available' mean? If they do not have it in the catalogue, why show it at all?

I asked Tidal that and they responded that they are working on getting license rights, which implies that they already have it in their catalogue in certain markets (i.e., in Europe not in the USA).

"The function of music is to release us from the tyranny of conscious thought", Sir Thomas Beecham. 

Reporting only very rare dropouts, it plays full quality most of the times (via Linn Accurate DS). Very nice.

Stupid question: what does 'no audio available' mean? If they do not have it in the catalogue, why show it at all?

Very rare dropouts are not nice at all! I do not pay for a service with any dropouts any more.

They list every metadata they can get. How else should they report 25 million tracks on their service?

I do get the impression that people using dedicated streamers aren't getting drop-outs and pauses at all.

I'm with Fridolin on this, however. I don't consider drop-outs acceptable under normal circumstances. If the music pauses and interrupts just as Rodolfo and Mimi are falling in love in La Boheme... well it completely pops me out of the scene.

I am very much hoping for Tidal's success. I do visit this thread occasionally in hopes of finding it completely silent... because streaming issues are a thing of the past.

2013 MacBook Pro Retina -> {Pure Music | Audirvana} -> {Dragonfly Red v.1} -> AKG K-702 or Sennheiser HD650 headphones.

Well, okay, that sounds reasonable. I was referring to Led Zeppelin I remastered fyi....

No dropouts at all is not possible still, I reckon. I tested all of them, and each had its minutes...

The simple solution to it all is to have an offline desktop mode. Tidal could have saved themselves a tidal wave, if you will, of bad publicity.

Hello All,

I was wondering if anyone has been experiencing problems similar to mine and found solutions. I searched this thread but did not find answers suitable to my situation. I have also sent a support ticket to Tidal twice with no reply.

First a short history. I have used Tidal for about 4 months now on desktop apps (Win 7 and 8.1), webplayer (Firefox and Chrome), Samsung Note 4 app and IPhone 5 app with no issues initially. I had very occasional drop in streaming with fairly regular 1-3 second delays as it streamed the beginning of the next song. Overall I was happy with the service and the quality.

Now the problem. About two weeks ago the desktop app at my office stopped working. It froze and then would not access the music. I could get to the information about What's New, etc. but no music. I decided to re-download the desktop app and deleted my version before finding out Tidal was having issues with the desktop app and there was no upgrade. No biggie as I started streaming at the office via the Webplayer. Everything else worked at home and on the cell phones. Now as of 1 week the Webplayers do not work at home or the office, the desktop app does not work at home (or the office of course) but Tidal works fine on the cell phones!

It has me stumped and I am getting no help from Tidal after previously having quick responses to other minor support issues. I started the service to use at the office. I like it a lot but if I don't get an answer soon I will be forced to cancel my subscription.

Any suggestions would be appreciated.

Thanks,

James Nero

Well I seemed to have answered my own problem. I had to reboot my computer for other reasons and I thought I would see if it affected Tidal and low and behold it did in a positive way. Both the desktop app and the webplayer on my home computer are now working. I am pretty sure I had rebooted before to try and fix this issue but I cannot remember exactly.

As future food for thought what would be in the cache that might cause a problem with both the desktop app and the webplayer? Curious to know.

Thanks.

Hello All,

I was wondering if anyone has been experiencing problems similar to mine and found solutions. I searched this thread but did not find answers suitable to my situation. I have also sent a support ticket to Tidal twice with no reply.

First a short history. I have used Tidal for about 4 months now on desktop apps (Win 7 and 8.1), webplayer (Firefox and Chrome), Samsung Note 4 app and IPhone 5 app with no issues initially. I had very occasional drop in streaming with fairly regular 1-3 second delays as it streamed the beginning of the next song. Overall I was happy with the service and the quality.

Now the problem. About two weeks ago the desktop app at my office stopped working. It froze and then would not access the music. I could get to the information about What's New, etc. but no music. I decided to re-download the desktop app and deleted my version before finding out Tidal was having issues with the desktop app and there was no upgrade. No biggie as I started streaming at the office via the Webplayer. Everything else worked at home and on the cell phones. Now as of 1 week the Webplayers do not work at home or the office, the desktop app does not work at home (or the office of course) but Tidal works fine on the cell phones!

It has me stumped and I am getting no help from Tidal after previously having quick responses to other minor support issues. I started the service to use at the office. I like it a lot but if I don't get an answer soon I will be forced to cancel my subscription.

Any suggestions would be appreciated.

Thanks,

James Nero

I've rarely had a problem streaming TIDAL using their Mac client (which still works). I had some issues while they were making changes to their content distribution network, but lately it's been solid again. I use wifi and it's just as reliable as wired.

Jimmy, while I'm streaming on my Mac, I'm surfing the web on my Windows 8.1 PC which uses the same internet connection ... and my Comcast internet is only 50/10. So I'm not sure what your problem is with dropouts.

I've sent TIDAL a note saying they need to work with external players on Mac and PC in order to appeal to the audiophile community. No response yet. TIDAL just doesn't sound that good by itself, whether on a Mac or on an Auralic Aries. Classical is pretty good, but pop music sounds like it's muffled and I just can't stand it.

Where do you guys get this information that the desktop client is never coming back? On their website, TIDAL says it's gone for maintenance. It doesn't say it's gone for good.

JRiver users read this and weep

No Tidal Music Service in MC

Pareto Audio AMD 7700 Server --> Berkeley Alpha USB --> Jeff Rowland Aeris --> Jeff Rowland 625 S2 --> Focal Utopia 3 Diablos with 2 x Focal Electra SW 1000 BE subs

i7-6700K/Windows 10  --> EVGA Nu Audio Card --> Focal CMS50's 

I've rarely had a problem streaming TIDAL using their Mac client (which still works). I had some issues while they were making changes to their content distribution network, but lately it's been solid again. I use wifi and it's just as reliable as wired.

Jimmy, while I'm streaming on my Mac, I'm surfing the web on my Windows 8.1 PC which uses the same internet connection ... and my Comcast internet is only 50/10. So I'm not sure what your problem is with dropouts.

I've sent TIDAL a note saying they need to work with external players on Mac and PC in order to appeal to the audiophile community. No response yet. TIDAL just doesn't sound that good by itself, whether on a Mac or on an Auralic Aries. Classical is pretty good, but pop music sounds like it's muffled and I just can't stand it.

Where do you guys get this information that the desktop client is never coming back? On their website, TIDAL says it's gone for maintenance. It doesn't say it's gone for good.

If TIDAL sounds bad, double check you have it set in HIFI mode, also I've found a lot of pop music sounds bad because it's poorly recorded....

Did someone else try to use Tidal in offline mode on an iPad?

I get very strange results when downloading the titles to my iPad.

Playlists that contain only titles in "HiFi", that i created with the Mac-App, contain arbitrary non-"HiFi" titles on the iPad. Not all, but unpredictable. Perhaps when bandwidth on Tidals side is low?

I can see this even at download time when these titles are loaded in impossible speed (because the amount of data is so low).

When playing these titles, the HiFi-icon is dimmed.

Did you also suffer from this problem?

I am no longer having any issues playing Tidal on my computer as long as I don't use Amarra SQ.