IGNORED

Auralic Aries (Hardware) - Impressions and Information

36 minutes ago, alice said:

I like the curvy look, it looks awesome sitting on my pre amp.

The new is too plain, like the album art screen though.

Do we know whether it's multi chassis ?

I, for one, think the "album screen" is superfluous and favor the minimalism of Aries Mk1. The only thing that should there are things that NEED to be there AND contribute to overall SQ and usability.  IMO the screen on the Aries II does neither.

2 minutes ago, Doak said:

I, for one, think the "album screen" is superfluous and favor the minimalism of Aries Mk1. The only thing that should there are things that NEED to be there AND contribute to overall SQ and usability.  IMO the screen on the Aries II does neither.

Well, it does make it look more like an Aurender. :/

Pareto Audio AMD 7700 Server --> Berkeley Alpha USB --> Jeff Rowland Aeris --> Jeff Rowland 625 S2 --> Focal Utopia 3 Diablos with 2 x Focal Electra SW 1000 BE subs

i7-6700K/Windows 10  --> EVGA Nu Audio Card --> Focal CMS50's 

3 hours ago, Doak said:

I, for one, think the "album screen" is superfluous and favor the minimalism of Aries Mk1.

plus... I'm pretty sure cover art/track info will not show when using the Aries as RoonReady device, which is how I use it 90% of the time

Qnap HS-264 NAS (powered by an HD-Plex 100w LPS) > Cirrus7 Nimbini v2.5 Media Edition i7-8559U/32/512 running Roon ROCK (powered by a Keces P8 LPS) > Lumin U2  > Metrum Acoustics Adagio NOS digital preamplifier > Metrum Acoustics Forte power amplifier (or  First Watt SIT 3  power amplifier or Don Garber Fi "Y" 6922 tube preamplifier + Don Garber Fi "X" 2A3 SET power amplifier, both powered from an Alpha-Core BP-30 Isolated Symmetrical Power Transformer) > Klipsch Cornwall III

headphones system:

Cirrus 7 > Lumin U2 > Metrum Acoustics Adagio > Pathos Aurium amplifier (powered by an UpTone Audio JS-2 LPS) > Focal Clear headphones

Update from Facebook 

Auralic Aries G2 - Kii Control -  Kii Three active speakers -  OPPO BDP 95 - Clearaudio Concept turtable / AT-33 PTG II pu /Clearaudio Maestro Wood pu - Rega Fono MC riaa / Musical Surrondings riaa

Head-fi:

Beyerdynamic DT 1770 Pro - Shure SE846w/Silver Dragon - Chord Mojo

got a mail, yesterday evening, from Chris: told me they're at Axpona and that's why they're not replaying to beta bug reports

Qnap HS-264 NAS (powered by an HD-Plex 100w LPS) > Cirrus7 Nimbini v2.5 Media Edition i7-8559U/32/512 running Roon ROCK (powered by a Keces P8 LPS) > Lumin U2  > Metrum Acoustics Adagio NOS digital preamplifier > Metrum Acoustics Forte power amplifier (or  First Watt SIT 3  power amplifier or Don Garber Fi "Y" 6922 tube preamplifier + Don Garber Fi "X" 2A3 SET power amplifier, both powered from an Alpha-Core BP-30 Isolated Symmetrical Power Transformer) > Klipsch Cornwall III

headphones system:

Cirrus 7 > Lumin U2 > Metrum Acoustics Adagio > Pathos Aurium amplifier (powered by an UpTone Audio JS-2 LPS) > Focal Clear headphones

I just got a reply 30 minutes ago from Auralic regarding my beta bug report, so more replying to beta bug reports should happen,

unless it was just me being lucky.    

For some reason my issue only occurred 3 times in the first 24 hours or so (settings being reset) after installing the Beta firmware,

then the issue never occurred again (in the last week).

Speaker : iPhone 6S Plus > UpTone Audio USB Regen (x2) > Benchmark DAC1 Pre > Pass Labs INT-30A > Focal Micro Utopia BE

Headphone : Auralic Aries > Auralic Gemini 2000 > Audeze LCD-X

Power & Tweaks : Heaps of Balanced & Isolation Power supplies, Dedicated Line, Vinnie Rossi MINI PURE-DC-4EVR, HD-Plex LPSU, iFi Audio DC iPurifiers, DIY Resonance/Vibration platforms using Townshend Audio Seismic Isolation Pods

Gonna throw this question out.  Anyone here running a Synology NAS on the network to their Aries, who might understand stuff like smb protocols and such?

Oh, and does that same person have nothing to do on a Saturday better than to troubleshoot a smb error I'm getting on the Lightning DS app lol ??

Actually, my first question is, when trying to enter my Network Drive Path, how do I define the smb address?  is it my IP address followed by the music folder name?  I need the proper nomenclature too!

And if I get no response to this, I'll understand completely!

Thanks in advance.

if you are using Mac OS... in Finder's menu pick "Go/Network" and you'll se something like this (attached image)

Note how your Synology is named there and in Lightning DS write as path "MySynology/WhateverSubPath"

(in my case that's "Qnap-HS251/music")

if you're not using Mac OS... sorry, I can't help you :P

(but you might figure out yourself something based on the above ;) )

Network.jpg

headphones system:

Thanks for the responses.  My local IT genius friend got me straightened out.  For some reason, in 2 separate instances of updating to beta firmware, a connection issue related to my static IP occurred.  I had to re-establish a static IP address for my NAS, then remount the disk on Lightning DS to the proper path.

I was able to begin the re-indexing process, and the software is re-scanning my library as we speak. 

Sorry for hijacking the thread with my issue, and thanks for all attempts to help!

I'm still on 5.0 beta 2.

I came back after a week away with the Aries in standby. The playlist I had left from the last time was still playing OK. Weird thing though, the library was now empty. It did continue to play tracks on the playlist though from this allegedly empty library.

I had to do a rescan which took a helluva long time and it repopulated the library.

Same observations as before soundwise. "Precise" is what I like and the sound is big, full with lots of timbre and instrumental layering. From what I remember, I prefer it to the current non beta version.

50 minutes ago, MarkyRotterdam said:

Has 5.0 beta 2 been pulled? My Aries is still on beta 1 and doesn't update to beta 2, although it is set to receive betas. It says I have the latest firmware.

try turning it completely off (pulling the power chord too) then reboot: had to do it myself as I was in your very same situation and a plain reboot was not helping :|

headphones system:

15 hours ago, pl_svn said:

try turning it completely off (pulling the power chord too) then reboot: had to do it myself as I was in your very same situation and a plain reboot was not helping :|

Thanks @pl_svn, your trick worked for me as well! ? I am now on 5.0 beta 2. The strange thing is that I prefered "smooth" with beta 1, but on beta 2 "precise" suddenly sounds better to me.

Beta 2 seems a bit slower to load the album than beta 1. The previous album stays a while after album change. It plays fine though! ?

🎛️  Audio System  

Hi everyone,

I'm a happy owner of an Aries and an Aries Mini.

Recently I've found that my Aries Femto w/LPS (latest firmware 4.1) produces a light but audible in close range (less than 50cm) buzz when the display is on. Fortunately I can't hear it from my listening position. In fact I discovered it changing some cables in my amp, after almost a year with the Aries happily streaming! It gets reduced considerably (almost non-audible) if I turn off the display. I've found some mentions online to this, and it should have been addressed in a previous firmware update.

I've sent an email to Auralic support already, but I was curious to know whether this is normal or not, and if your units produce the same noise. It doesn't seem to compromise sound quality, however. But I would like to know your opinions regarding this issue. My main concern is if the buzzing noise could get louder in the future.

Related to this, one more question: Is there a way to turn off the display completely? Because it interferes with my tv and amp's remote and it turns on again whenever I operate them.

Thanks a lot.

11 minutes ago, fdiog said:

Hi everyone,

I'm a happy owner of an Aries and an Aries Mini.

Recently I've found that my Aries Femto w/LPS (latest firmware 4.1) produces a light but audible in close range (less than 50cm) buzz when the display is on. Fortunately I can't hear it from my listening position. In fact I discovered it changing some cables in my amp, after almost a year with the Aries happily streaming! It gets reduced considerably (almost non-audible) if I turn off the display. I've found some mentions online to this, and it should have been addressed in a previous firmware update.

I've sent an email to Auralic support already, but I was curious to know whether this is normal or not, and if your units produce the same noise. It doesn't seem to compromise sound quality, however. But I would like to know your opinions regarding this issue. My main concern is if the buzzing noise could get louder in the future.

Related to this, one more question: Is there a way to turn off the display completely? Because it interferes with my tv and amp's remote and it turns on again whenever I operate them.

Thanks a lot.

I think it is common to Femto's. If it can be a comfort, it was much worse in the beginning before AURALiC made a firmware update which essentially lights up fewer pixels. And it is indeed irritating that the unit lights up the display again when I  regulate my preamp volume.

afaik it was a known issue with earliest firmware version(s) but was fixed afterwards

never heard it on mine, though... when, last year, I *had to* send my Aries to the factory (because a fw update bricked it :mad:) I noticed, once I got it back, a protective sheet on the display which makes me think that, whilst at it, they replaced it

or, maybe, they just placed a protection to avoid scratching the display while working on the unit. who knows? :|

headphones system:

Does anyone know if the 15V/1.2A iFiAudio iPower Supply works with the Aries Femto?

http://ifi-audio.com/portfolio-view/accessory-ipower/

Thanks.

Main Room: Synology DS116 NAS > Intel NUC7i7BNH Mini PC (Roon Core) > Linn Selekt DSM with Katalyst DAC > Mark Levinson No. 532H Amp > Thiel Audio CS 2.4 Loudspeakers

Bedroom: Synology DS116 NAS > Intel NUC7i7BNH Mini PC (Roon Core) > Chord 2Go/Hugo 2 (fixed line level) > McIntosh MHA200 Headphone Amp > Audeze LCD-X (2021) or Focal OG Clear or JH Audio Roxanne IEM

Aries "femto" comes with a true Linear Power Supply, not a switching one, and poster I replied to has an Aries femto ;)

headphones system: