IGNORED

Auralic Aries (Hardware) - Impressions and Information

12 minutes ago, alice said:

I just got my Aries today but reading through the thread it seems people have said they found a drop in quality.

I was asking because au want to make sure I don't update if it's not refined.

I'm afraid you will be out of luck with that.  Once the beta phase is over, all products are updated automatically.  There is no opt out.  Having said that, to me, all updates have been an improvement.

Martin.

Guys I am having real problems with my Aries Femto hanging during play back (forcing hard reboot), or not switching off properly by remote (forcing hard reboot). When it hangs during play back it also disappears from DS app. When it is working the SQ is perfect. Not sure why it is being so flaky.

Running latest alpha BIOS.

Any ideas?

I'm back to 4.1.0 :|

apart a couple of "glitches" I found (and reported, but never heard back) in betas... main issue I'm having is with intermittent static noise

was told it happens with Aries Mini using third party PSs but... I'm using an Aries femto (with a Vinnie Rossi PS) and, again, after telling them... I never heard back 9_9

Qnap HS-264 NAS (powered by an HD-Plex 100w LPS) > Cirrus7 Nimbini v2.5 Media Edition i7-8559U/32/512 running Roon ROCK (powered by a Keces P8 LPS) > Lumin U2  > Metrum Acoustics Adagio NOS digital preamplifier > Metrum Acoustics Forte power amplifier (or  First Watt SIT 3  power amplifier or Don Garber Fi "Y" 6922 tube preamplifier + Don Garber Fi "X" 2A3 SET power amplifier, both powered from an Alpha-Core BP-30 Isolated Symmetrical Power Transformer) > Klipsch Cornwall III

headphones system:

Cirrus 7 > Lumin U2 > Metrum Acoustics Adagio > Pathos Aurium amplifier (powered by an UpTone Audio JS-2 LPS) > Focal Clear headphones

1 hour ago, George Hincapie said:

I may try going back to stock Aries PSU actually. Using MCRU LPSU at the moment...wonder if my problems are power related?

Is anyone having similar issues to those I describe above?

I had same issues like your Aries, occurred for a few days when i was on Alpha firmware (before I recently went with beta firmware). It is cerainly frustrating.

Also not using a stock power supply, use a VR MINI.

ended up a being a setting  in LDS, Network settings, specifically the DNS setting.

was using OpenDNS value, changed to my ISPs DNS value, ... and it was all sorted, no more issues.

previously had been using the opendns value for quite a while, issue only occured recently

hope this helps

Another suggestion is it maybe worthwhile doing a reset by using a paperclip applied to the reset button underneath the Aries, though that is kind of a last resort type of thing to do, as you need to go thru the whole setup again (including the library setup stuff).

Speaker : iPhone 6S Plus > UpTone Audio USB Regen (x2) > Benchmark DAC1 Pre > Pass Labs INT-30A > Focal Micro Utopia BE

Headphone : Auralic Aries > Auralic Gemini 2000 > Audeze LCD-X

Power & Tweaks : Heaps of Balanced & Isolation Power supplies, Dedicated Line, Vinnie Rossi MINI PURE-DC-4EVR, HD-Plex LPSU, iFi Audio DC iPurifiers, DIY Resonance/Vibration platforms using Townshend Audio Seismic Isolation Pods

oh, no: not Yet Another Black Box! 9_9

hope there will also be a silver (front, at least) version :|

Qnap HS-264 NAS (powered by an HD-Plex 100w LPS) > Cirrus7 Nimbini v2.5 Media Edition i7-8559U/32/512 running Roon ROCK (powered by a Keces P8 LPS) > Lumin U2  > Metrum Acoustics Adagio NOS digital preamplifier > Metrum Acoustics Forte power amplifier (or  First Watt SIT 3  power amplifier or Don Garber Fi "Y" 6922 tube preamplifier + Don Garber Fi "X" 2A3 SET power amplifier, both powered from an Alpha-Core BP-30 Isolated Symmetrical Power Transformer) > Klipsch Cornwall III

headphones system:

Cirrus 7 > Lumin U2 > Metrum Acoustics Adagio > Pathos Aurium amplifier (powered by an UpTone Audio JS-2 LPS) > Focal Clear headphones

13 minutes ago, FIndingit said:

I knew it would be a sturdy metal box with antennas. I wish this lightweight curvy plastic thing with less than stellar wifi and oblong bottom was too. 

I'm not crazy about the curvy plastic thing. I hope the new version comes in silver and sounds even better. Is it the same size as the Vega?

6 minutes ago, Cornan said:

I am still waiting for a black Auralic Altair mkII and hoping it will be something I cannot resist...antennas or not! ?

I just hope Vinnie Rossi does'nt catch up with something I really cannot afford! ?

Audiophile world, separates are always better...

Somethings never change and if they do it's not always good. Sure everything is better these days Integrated and separates, but the fact remains separates are always considered better. I could be wrong but, separating certain components is always a good thing to do. Maybe that's old fashion,I don't know.

47 minutes ago, 2string1 said:

Somethings never change and if they do it's not always good. Sure everything is better these days Integrated and separates, but the fact remains separates are always considered better. I could be wrong but, separating certain components is always a good thing to do. Maybe that's old fashion,I don't know.

IMO all you'll need to get Auralic Altair to shine except great headphones is a isolation transformer with floating secondary, Cat6a U/UTP cables, Aqvox switch grounded to a Entreq Minimus & a wireless adapter (connected to the IT).I must say that is very simple for a high end setup!

Just the way I like it! :)

🎛️  Audio System  

Perhaps I'm simply mistaken (it has been known to happen, calm down people), but I believe that while sitting down to listen to some music, my Aries automatically opted into the beta update and next thing I knew, I was on version 5.0 beta2.

If I didn't already know, from past experience, the steps necessary to "opt in", I would say that maybe I did something that mistakenly initiated it.  But you really cannot do that.  You have to access your account page through the settings icon, and then manually select to opt in.  Going back to 4.1.0.

Weird.  I suppose I will soon discover that I have to re index my entire NAS library.  Good times.

Not sure why I'm sharing this.  Maybe a bit of a warning.  Or an inquiry as to anyone else experiencing this.

11 hours ago, austinpop said:

Since you just got your Aries, I suggest you first stay on the 4.1 version and enjoy it for a few weeks. Then, try the beta - or it may actually be GA (generally available, aka officially released) by then.

Many people tend to forget that trying out betas is inherently prone to glitches, failures, and other bugs, so I always laugh when I hear complaints. The point of a beta is not to complain, but to report back to the vendor so they can fix it before official release.

I assume you mean for the Auralic PSU? Or in general? Either way, I like to upgrade to modestly-priced but well-made cables. I've had no complaints with the Pangea AC-14MkII SE and AC-9MkII SE cables.

I got a standard cable from the store, they included it for free.

I think it should be fine given the muscular PSU that should do I fine job.

11 hours ago, 2string1 said:

I'm not crazy about the curvy plastic thing. I hope the new version comes in silver and sounds even better. Is it the same size as the Vega?

I like the curvy look, it looks awesome sitting on my pre amp.

The new is too plain, like the album art screen though.

Do we know whether it's multi chassis ?