IGNORED

Auralic Aries (Hardware) - Impressions and Information

4 hours ago, pl_svn said:

Aries "femto" comes with a true Linear Power Supply, not a switching one, and poster I replied to has an Aries femto ;)

Thanks all, I'm planning to use my Aries Femto abroad and didn't want to modify my U.S. true LPS. Just need a suitable PS to take 230V at 50Hz.

Main Room: Synology DS116 NAS > Intel NUC7i7BNH Mini PC (Roon Core) > Linn Selekt DSM with Katalyst DAC > Mark Levinson No. 532H Amp > Thiel Audio CS 2.4 Loudspeakers

Bedroom: Synology DS116 NAS > Intel NUC7i7BNH Mini PC (Roon Core) > Chord 2Go/Hugo 2 (fixed line level) > McIntosh MHA200 Headphone Amp > Audeze LCD-X (2021) or Focal OG Clear or JH Audio Roxanne IEM

5 hours ago, vlomdmdiv said:

10 hours ago, pl_svn said:

Aries "femto" comes with a true Linear Power Supply, not a switching one, and poster I replied to has an Aries femto ;)

Thanks,

I'm planning to use my U.S. purchased Aries Femto abroad and didn't want to modify or change the pins in the LPS from 120V to 230V. Just need a suitable PS to take 230V at 50Hz. So, I thought that the iFi Audio iPower PS would work. Do you think that the iFi  power supply is compatible with the Aries Femto?

Main Room: Synology DS116 NAS > Intel NUC7i7BNH Mini PC (Roon Core) > Linn Selekt DSM with Katalyst DAC > Mark Levinson No. 532H Amp > Thiel Audio CS 2.4 Loudspeakers

Bedroom: Synology DS116 NAS > Intel NUC7i7BNH Mini PC (Roon Core) > Chord 2Go/Hugo 2 (fixed line level) > McIntosh MHA200 Headphone Amp > Audeze LCD-X (2021) or Focal OG Clear or JH Audio Roxanne IEM

6 hours ago, vlomdmdiv said:

Thanks all, I'm planning to use my Aries Femto abroad and didn't want to modify my U.S. true LPS

https://www.amazon.com/Seven-Star-F200-Travel-Converter/dp/B0045RU68U/ref=sr_1_2?ie=UTF8&qid=1493372791&sr=8-2&keywords=220%2F120v+transformer

Qnap HS-264 NAS (powered by an HD-Plex 100w LPS) > Cirrus7 Nimbini v2.5 Media Edition i7-8559U/32/512 running Roon ROCK (powered by a Keces P8 LPS) > Lumin U2  > Metrum Acoustics Adagio NOS digital preamplifier > Metrum Acoustics Forte power amplifier (or  First Watt SIT 3  power amplifier or Don Garber Fi "Y" 6922 tube preamplifier + Don Garber Fi "X" 2A3 SET power amplifier, both powered from an Alpha-Core BP-30 Isolated Symmetrical Power Transformer) > Klipsch Cornwall III

headphones system:

Cirrus 7 > Lumin U2 > Metrum Acoustics Adagio > Pathos Aurium amplifier (powered by an UpTone Audio JS-2 LPS) > Focal Clear headphones

1 hour ago, acaro said:

Yes the iFi power supply will work with the Aries. I myself have been using it for the last year.

Thanks, are you happy with the sound of the Aries with your power supply?

44 minutes ago, Blade1001 said:

Thanks Blade. I checked the site but I couldn't tell if the unit was a 230V @ 50Hz unit. I suspect that it might be. There was also a a hefty delivery charge outside of the U.K. I'll think about it some more.

1 hour ago, pl_svn said:

The unit I have is a 120V LPS, so I would need an up-converter to 230V instead. I'll look a little more. Thanks for your input. 

4 minutes ago, vlomdmdiv said:

The unit I have is a 120V LPS, so I would need an up-converter to 230V instead.

no: you need a step-down transformer as the one I linked

Qnap HS-264 NAS (powered by an HD-Plex 100w LPS) > Cirrus7 Nimbini v2.5 Media Edition i7-8559U/32/512 running Roon ROCK (powered by a Keces P8 LPS) > Lumin U2  > Metrum Acoustics Adagio NOS digital preamplifier > Metrum Acoustics Forte power amplifier (or  First Watt SIT 3  power amplifier or Don Garber Fi "Y" 6922 tube preamplifier + Don Garber Fi "X" 2A3 SET power amplifier, both powered from an Alpha-Core BP-30 Isolated Symmetrical Power Transformer) > Klipsch Cornwall III

headphones system:

Cirrus 7 > Lumin U2 > Metrum Acoustics Adagio > Pathos Aurium amplifier (powered by an UpTone Audio JS-2 LPS) > Focal Clear headphones

59 minutes ago, vlomdmdiv said:

Thanks Blade. I checked the site but I couldn't tell if the unit was a 230V @ 50Hz unit. I suspect that it might be. There was also a a hefty delivery charge outside of the U.K. I'll think about it some more.

Yes, it will be 230V 50Hz, as it will be to UK spec. There will be other UK and European suppliers selling it for sure, the whole of Europe is 230v 50Hz main spec.

Thanks!

2 hours ago, Blade1001 said:

Yes, it will be 230V 50Hz, as it will be to UK spec. There will be other UK and European suppliers selling it for sure, the whole of Europe is 230v 50Hz main spec.

Thanks!!

3 hours ago, pl_svn said:

no: you need a step-down transformer as the one I linked

Thanks for the link:)

•  

Back to the MQA story - I read on the PS Audio Directstream forum that full unfolding at the streamer level is possible.

They are apparently working on it on the Bridge II module firmware update in conjunction with a new firmware update for the Directstream DAC FPGA.

Wondering if that is similar to the Aries proposed upsampling.

On 4/28/2017 at 11:34 PM, mikey8811 said:

Back to the MQA story - I read on the PS Audio Directstream forum that full unfolding at the streamer level is possible.

They are apparently working on it on the Bridge II module firmware update in conjunction with a new firmware update for the Directstream DAC FPGA.

It would be good to hear what people say about this. It's good to see that companies are forward-looking and are manufacturing upgradable products. The PS Audio products are not cheap, but there is some nice engineering going on at the company!

On 4/28/2017 at 3:34 PM, mikey8811 said:

Do you know if PSA is developing their own SW to process MQA?

Mr. Wang has stated emphatically Auralic's position on using MQA's technology.

1 hour ago, Doak said:

Do you know if PSA is developing their own SW to process MQA?

Mr. Wang has stated emphatically Auralic's position on using MQA's technology.

From the thread, according to Ted Smith:

" MQA plans to have the bridge do a full decode (including probably their customized “prewarping” for the DS FPGA.)  It’s my understanding that I’ve given them enough info so that they can do what they want without restricting the kinds of changes I’ve been making to the FPGA.  They think of having the bridge doing the decode to be like hardware doing the decode.  It’s my guess that since there’s no chance for someone to snag the decoded MQA as PCM that they’re happy.  (Of course I could have misunderstood Bob.)  They will be checking that the bridge module works properly vis-a-vie MQA and that the DS w/ bridge and an MQA input get’s the quality they expect of a full decoder.  We’ll make sure that none of that gets in the way of our expected sound quality when playing non-MQA via the bridge."

The Bridge is the I2S connected ethernet module in the Directstream and so would be an Aries equivalent.

I guess MQA is working with some manufacturers on full software decoding, just not Auralic.

still having the static noise issue on 5.0 betas :mad:

(goes away as soon as I revert to 4.1.0)

all I have been told is it may be due to using an "unqualified power supply" so I tried pulling Vinnie Rossi's Mini Pure-DC-4EVR and using Aries' stock LPS: static noise still there. reported and never heard back

if, as I am fearing, this won't be taken care of... my Aries will become unusable as soon as 5.0 is pushed to everyone (since there's no way to opt-out of automatic updates) 9_9

headphones system:

43 minutes ago, pl_svn said:

all I have been told is it may be due to using an "unqualified power supply" so I tried pulling Vinnie Rossi's Mini Pure-DC-4EVR and using Aries' stock LPS: static noise still there. reported and never heard back

if, as I am fearing, this won't be taken care of... my Aries will become unusable as soon as 5.0 is pushed to everyone (since there's no way to opt-out of automatic updates) 9_9

And still I prefer the overall sound from v. 4.1.0. with my Aries femto clock.. More weight in the overall presentation, the bass notes goes deeper and better dynamics are the issues that keep me rolling back to v. 4.1.0 after doing som test with different settings in 5.0 beta 2.  Can´t say i have noticed any static noise..?

Waiting now for doing some testing with the new announced beta  5.0 this week and are curious if there will be any notable changes in SQ.  

Auralic Aries G2 - Kii Control -  Kii Three active speakers -  OPPO BDP 95 - Clearaudio Concept turtable / AT-33 PTG II pu /Clearaudio Maestro Wood pu - Rega Fono MC riaa / Musical Surrondings riaa

Head-fi:

Beyerdynamic DT 1770 Pro - Shure SE846w/Silver Dragon - Chord Mojo

still having the static noise issue on 5.0 beta4 :(

headphones system:

On 01/05/2017 at 7:20 PM, pl_svn said:

<snip>

No upsampling enabled :D

I also have VR Mini Pure DC 4EVR powering my Auralic Aries (plus another VR Mini powering my Auralic Gemini 2000).
Best they have ever sounded, superb and ...  no static.
Just providing another data point as far as "unqualified power supply" goes, no problem.

This is for the 5.0.4 and 5.0.2 beta.

Upsampling enabled   :( 

When the 5 Beta was initially released, I thought I heard some static when trying upsampling 44.1k to 88.2 khz,

via the Lightning DS webpage.  

I have just now re-enabled upsampling again to see if I can also re-create static ... and I can,

even on 5.0.4 Beta.   So now I have same problem as you, I think.

tldr;  are you getting static if you do not tell the Aries to upsample ?

Speaker : iPhone 6S Plus > UpTone Audio USB Regen (x2) > Benchmark DAC1 Pre > Pass Labs INT-30A > Focal Micro Utopia BE

Headphone : Auralic Aries > Auralic Gemini 2000 > Audeze LCD-X

Power & Tweaks : Heaps of Balanced & Isolation Power supplies, Dedicated Line, Vinnie Rossi MINI PURE-DC-4EVR, HD-Plex LPSU, iFi Audio DC iPurifiers, DIY Resonance/Vibration platforms using Townshend Audio Seismic Isolation Pods

with my Aries static is there always, as soon as it boots after a fw update: no need to play anything :-/

when something is playing can barely hear it but it's there

never tried upsampling

it's a constant "trrr-trrr-trrr-trrr" pattern that repeats every 5-6 seconds

I also tried, as Chris from Auralic support suggested, using the stock LPS and I have static with it either so... it's not the PS

(btw: Vinnie Rossi's Mini, with its 2.5A continuous 5A max, is way over specced than stock PS)

as soon as I revert to 4.1.0 goes immediately away

headphones system: