IGNORED

Auralic Aries (Hardware) - Impressions and Information

1 minute ago, Kelly said:

Hi, I am considering getting an Aries for use with a Genelec system as a Roon endpoint. The Genelec needs AES input so the list of streamers that will work is limited. Does anyone use it this way and have any comments on the AES/SPDIF quality relative to other sources? I am also considering the Bryston BDP-2 but I like the form factor of the Aries better (also the price.) Anyone with any other recommendations? The higher end Aurenders are out of my budget.

I'm using the Aries (femto version) with a Metrum Pavane, using AES. Never looked back, works fantastic. Elsewhere on the Net I see other people using the AES output, with good results. In my case, I prefer it to using USB or Coax - USB is overcomplicated for what I want to use it for, and AES is just a better standard to Coax (and the protocol, S/PDIF, is identical).

7 hours ago, Kelly said:

Hi, I am considering getting an Aries for use with a Genelec system as a Roon endpoint. The Genelec needs AES input so the list of streamers that will work is limited. Does anyone use it this way and have any comments on the AES/SPDIF quality relative to other sources? I am also considering the Bryston BDP-2 but I like the form factor of the Aries better (also the price.) Anyone with any other recommendations? The higher end Aurenders are out of my budget.

I have an Aries feeding an Auralic Vega DAC. Not long after I got them, I asked an Auralic employee I saw at the T.H.E. Show in Newport Beach which interface he recommended to connect them. His response was, "if you don't need or care about DSD, then AES is the best sounding". I have tried both AES and USB in my system and I have to agree with him, AES does sound better than USB, as long as you use a high quality AES cable.

You also get the added bonus of not having to deal with "USB enhancement" devices. 

Sami Revah

14 minutes ago, samirevah said:

I have an Aries feeding an Auralic Vega DAC. Not long after I got them, I asked an Auralic employee I saw at the T.H.E. Show in Newport Beach which interface he recommended to connect them. His response was, "if you don't need or care about DSD, then AES is the best sounding". I have tried both AES and USB in my system and I have to agree with him, AES does sound better than USB, as long as you use a high quality AES cable.

You also get the added bonus of not having to deal with "USB enhancement" devices. 

Having used the Aries with the  Schiit Yggy I would completely agree that AES is the best sounding . 

1 hour ago, samirevah said:

Does anyone use it this way and have any comments on the AES/SPDIF quality relative to other sources?

I use the Aries with a Schiit Yggdrasil and tried all the interfaces.  The AES was significantly better.  Tighter timing was the most noticeable thing.  Packs a wallop!  

So the consensus is AES is a strong suit for the Aries. That makes my decision easier. I *think* I remember reading in a review and they thought the SPDIF/AES outputs were weaker than some other devices, but I'm not worried about it. I agree in general that AES is the least fussy if it achieves your goal. I prefer AES with my current dac (NAD M51) and the Genelec systems all require it as the only digital input. 

Thanks for the responses!

Roon ->UltraRendu + CI Audio 7v LPS-> Kii Control -> Kii Three

Roon->BMC UltraDAC->Mr Speakers Aeon Flow Open

I can't remember his name,but he represents Auralic in the USA. He told me USB is best for all music. Now you guys are saying AES. Confused again.lol  Call him, he is in California and see what he says.. Get back to us and tell us what he says...

18 minutes ago, 2string1 said:

I can't remember his name,but he represents Auralic in the USA. He told me USB is best for all music. Now you guys are saying AES. Confused again.lol  Call him, he is in California and see what he says.. Get back to us and tell us what he says...

It really depends more I think upon what is the best input on your DAC. I found the Aries output to be rated, in order, as USB, Optical, AES, Coax - but that is also the rating for my DAC inputs as well. 

11 hours ago, 2string1 said:

Could be semantics, lol. If you need the Aries to stream DSD, then you will likely have to use USB, there aren't many DACs that accept DSD on any other input. So if you need DSD, then yeah USB is the best (and only) output. If not, and to really take advantage of the nice femto clocks, use AES. 

On an asynchronous USB input, the femto clocks don't buy you much anyway.

22 minutes ago, 2string1 said:

Recommendations please for a AES cable for my Aries and Vega. 300 to 500 dollar range.

Maybe borrow some from The Cable Company?  I would be surprised if AES beats USB with the Vega.  

At $550 is the new Reveal from High Fidelity and at $200 there's the Shunyata Venom.  I have no experience with those, but would want to hear them if I was seeking an AES cable in your price range.  

Digital:  Sonore opticalModule > Uptone EtherRegen > Shunyata Sigma Ethernet > Antipodes K30 > Shunyata Omega USB > Gustard X26pro DAC < Mutec REF10 SE120

Amp & Speakers:  Spectral DMA-150mk2 > Aerial 10T

Foundation: Stillpoints Ultra, Shunyata Denali v1 and Typhon x1 power conditioners, Shunyata Delta v2 and QSA Lanedri Gamma Revelation and Infinity power cords, QSA Lanedri Gamma Revelation XLR interconnect, Shunyata Sigma Ethernet, MIT Matrix HD 60 speaker cables, GIK bass traps, ASC Isothermal tube traps, Stillpoints Aperture panels, Quadraspire SVT rack, PGGB 256

6 hours ago, kennyb123 said:

Maybe borrow some from The Cable Company?  I would be surprised if AES beats USB with the Vega.  

At $550 is the new Reveal from High Fidelity and at $200 there's the Shunyata Venom.  I have no experience with those, but would want to hear them if I was seeking an AES cable in your price range.  

Conflicting opinions on whats better for non dsd files. USB or AES? Like I said Auralic told me,USB all the way. I'll probably just stay with the CC and save me some money. 

49 minutes ago, mjb said:

Auralic must be very busy, they've been quite quiet lately :D Hopefully there will be an announcement (and release) soon, possibly with an Aries v2.

Exactly! According to information from Xuanqian Wang, it is really near to Aries v2 (not sure about actual name of product) announcment, which by his words "boost sound quality a lot":-) It should by this month.

Synergistic Research Powercell 12UEF > Innuos PhoenixNET > Aurender N100H > Innuos PhoenixUSB > Ferrum audio Wandla + Hypsos DAC > Simaudio Moon 600i / Gato Audio DIA400S > Dynaudio C1 speakers > Siltech, Shunyata & Stealth cabling

5 minutes ago, Koso said:

Exactly! According to information from Xuanqian Wang, it is really near to Aries v2 (not sure about actual name of product) announcment, which by his words "boost sound quality a lot":-) It should by this month.

Can't wait to see what it will look like...

2 hours ago, mjb said:

Auralic must be very busy, they've been quite quiet lately :D Hopefully there will be an announcement (and release) soon, possibly with an Aries v2.

With Munich hi end in May it's less than 6 weeks away and eyes are everywhere to spot new devices, and racing against the clock to finish.

Auralic aren't the only ones. 

AS Profile Equipment List        Say NO to MQA

4 hours ago, 2string1 said:

Conflicting opinions on whats better for non dsd files. USB or AES? Like I said Auralic told me,USB all the way. I'll probably just stay with the CC and save me some money. 

Or you could try a relatively inexpensive AES cable; or you could try a more expensive one on loan from The Cable Company.

One never knows, do one? - Fats Waller

The fairest thing we can experience is the mysterious. It is the fundamental emotion which stands at the cradle of true art and true science. - Einstein

Computer, Audirvana -> optical Ethernet to Fitlet3 -> Fibbr Alpha Optical USB -> iFi NEO iDSD DAC -> Apollon Audio 1ET400A Mini (Purifi based) -> Vandersteen 3A Signature.

29 minutes ago, FIndingit said:

12v dc in

current generation runs just fine off of a 12v PS: it just needs 1.5A instead of 1.0

in fact I'm powering my femto Aries from a 12v Vinnie Rossi ultracapacitors LPS ;) 

Qnap HS-264 NAS (powered by an HD-Plex 100w LPS) > Cirrus7 Nimbini v2.5 Media Edition i7-8559U/32/512 running Roon ROCK (powered by a Keces P8 LPS) > Lumin U2  > Metrum Acoustics Adagio NOS digital preamplifier > Metrum Acoustics Forte power amplifier (or  First Watt SIT 3  power amplifier or Don Garber Fi "Y" 6922 tube preamplifier + Don Garber Fi "X" 2A3 SET power amplifier, both powered from an Alpha-Core BP-30 Isolated Symmetrical Power Transformer) > Klipsch Cornwall IV

headphones system:

Cirrus 7 > Lumin U2 > Metrum Acoustics Adagio > Pathos Aurium amplifier (powered by an UpTone Audio JS-2 LPS) > Focal Clear headphones