IGNORED

Auralic Aries (Hardware) - Impressions and Information

From Auralic Facebook:

MQA is now live on TIDAL!

For those who has a MQA certificated DAC and want to try it out, please log off and log in TIDAL account in Lightning DS (to enable MQA content) and set volume in Lightning DS to 100 (to disable signal process) then try those MQA content, you will see some magic there.

To those who do not have MQA certificated DAC, dont worry, we are also working on a private software based MQA decoder to send signal to your DAC using AURALiC's latest upsampling algorithm. (Disclaimer: this is not going to use any MQA property software code.)

Was cleaning up some folders on my QNAP NAS last night. When I looked at the Recycle folder inside of my Music folder on the NAS, I had over 800 small (0K) .tmp files that have been created by the Lightning Server. Has anyone else noticed this? I'll have to look at my NAS to see if there is a way to automatically delete files instead of putting them in Recycle.

From Auralic Facebook:

MQA is now live on TIDAL!

For those who has a MQA certificated DAC and want to try it out, please log off and log in TIDAL account in Lightning DS (to enable MQA content) and set volume in Lightning DS to 100 (to disable signal process) then try those MQA content, you will see some magic there.

To those who do not have MQA certificated DAC, dont worry, we are also working on a private software based MQA decoder to send signal to your DAC using AURALiC's latest upsampling algorithm. (Disclaimer: this is not going to use any MQA property software code.)

I've confirmed that my Aries Mini is passing through the MQA stream from Tidal, because I see tracks displayed as 24/48 and 24/44.1.

What I can't make sense of is their last sentence. It sounds like they would take the folded MQA stream at 24/48 and then upsample that?? That sounds silly. What would make more sense is to unfold, i.e. decode MQA in software.

They're touting this as a great service, but it makes no sense to me. Who wants upsampled, undecoded MQA?

Or am I reading this wrong?

I've confirmed that my Aries Mini is passing through the MQA stream from Tidal, because I see tracks displayed as 24/48 and 24/44.1.

What I can't make sense of is their last sentence. It sounds like they would take the folded MQA stream at 24/48 and then upsample that?? That sounds silly. What would make more sense is to unfold, i.e. decode MQA in software.

They're touting this as a great service, but it makes no sense to me. Who wants upsampled, undecoded MQA?

Or am I reading this wrong?

i understand it the same way you did. And for me it's silly too !

Audirvana Plus 3 (New version) can do it in software, so i'm pretty sure it's possible with the Aries !

Other question : Does the Auralic Vega DAC will be upgraded to handle MQA natively ?

If the Aries still supports the (industry standard) UPnP Renderer (as opposed to the Lightning Device) operation mode, those of you that are using Kinsky, Linn Kazoo, etc, on a Windows machine to control its audio file playback can swap to the Windows TIDAL app to stream MQA masters tracks already decoded by the app itself. You'll also need to install the VB Audio Hi-Fi Cable software (to redirect the output) and Foobar2000 with the foo_record & foo_out_upnp (to bit perfectly capture the audio to a UPnP audio file stream, as WAV 24/96kHz).

Unfortunately, I don't know how to do similar on Macs as I don't use them. I believe the SoundFlower application is a similar virtual audio cable to VB Audio's, but the problem to solve would be producing a UPnP audio file stream from the audio (requires an HTTP file server, as well as audio capture & repackaging to a WAV file).

We are far more united and have far more in common with each other than things that divide us.

-- Jo Cox

I'm not 100% certain, but this is possibly related to an issue I reported to Auralic with my Aries Mini getting hit by playback interruptions, especially at (but not limited to) 100Mbps networking speed. This was with the Mini running the latest 4.1.0 firmware. Auralic has apparently reproduced and diagnosed the issue and working on a fix to be available in the next beta firmware. It looks like this issue occurs throughout the whole Aries family of streamers.

I'd guess the inability to play an album all the way through has got nothing to do with your HW setup. We'll need to be patient to wait for Auralic to release a beta firmware to squash this bug. I have already configured my Aries Mini to download beta firmware and will report test results to Auralic.

Yes: during Lightning DS beta I reported that my Aries (femto) was *sometimes* stopping playback after first track of an album

It happens when I start playback, from Qobuz streaming, using the small "play" icon on album's cover

I was told it's an Aries firmware issue, not Lightning DS'

I've had the same thing happen although my pauses occur at the start of tracks and in the middle when playing hi-res files. The Lightning app indicates "Buffering...." while pausing the song. This happens on both wired and wifi connections to my network. My Aries feeds into a NAD M51 through USB. The Aries is fed via Ethernet to a QNAP NAS. This behavior started with firmware 4.0 and has continued with 4.1.

Strangely enough, and perhaps coincidentally, the Software Volume Control button has no effect on the volume slider in Lightning, which works regardless of whether the software volume button on the Aries preferences screen is set to off or not. My NAD M51 has always been set at "Fixed Volume" through its own settings.

I've reported both to Aurelic. Chris was going to see if they could locate an M51 and replicate the behavior. I'm hoping this is a firmware issue and will be fixed soon...it's annoying to have to listen to hi-res files with occasional random buffering pauses. If anyone has suggestions on an interim solution, they would be welcome. Thx.

QNAP TS-251-->Netgear GS116 Switch--->Asus router--->wireless to Aurelic Aries--->USB to NAD M51--->Bryston B135--->Thiel CS 2.7 speakers

• 2 weeks later...
Just ordered the Aries! Can anyone recommend a good AC power cord? I've never really messed with upgraded cables for any of my audio equipment, so I'm not very familiar with what is out there. Thanks!

I'm a big fan of upgrading to modestly priced, but better quality cables. I use Pangea cables, and have been very pleased with them. I like the AC-14XL ( Pangea Audio AC 14 XL Power Cable-Audio Advisor ), which happens to be on clearance sale right now. They'd be perfect for the Aries - technically for your Auralic LPS, really, unless you have a different LPS.

Thanks! Do you have any suggestions for power cords under $200? I don't think I'm willing to spend much more, unless not doing so would be a total disservice to the Aries.

Check the link again. Two or three meter lengths are only $70.

Sent from my iPhone using Computer Audiophile

Main System: [Synology DS216, Rpi-4b LMS (pCP)], Holo Audio Red, Ayre QX-5 Twenty, Ayre KX-5 Twenty, Ayre VX-5 Twenty, Revel Ultima Studio2, Iconoclast speaker cables & interconnects, RealTraps acoustic treatments

Living Room: Sonore ultraRendu, Ayre QB-9DSD, Simaudio MOON 340iX, B&W 802 Diamond

I was hoping some news in Q1, but I think IF it is soon we will see something at AXPONA in April which would mean a release some time after????? I am being optimistic with that speculation, I have no facts on the matter.
I asked Mr. Wang the same thing, and this was pretty much his reply.
I've had the same thing happen although my pauses occur at the start of tracks and in the middle when playing hi-res files. The Lightning app indicates "Buffering...." while pausing the song. This happens on both wired and wifi connections to my network. My Aries feeds into a NAD M51 through USB. The Aries is fed via Ethernet to a QNAP NAS. This behavior started with firmware 4.0 and has continued with 4.1.

Strangely enough, and perhaps coincidentally, the Software Volume Control button has no effect on the volume slider in Lightning, which works regardless of whether the software volume button on the Aries preferences screen is set to off or not. My NAD M51 has always been set at "Fixed Volume" through its own settings.

I've reported both to Aurelic. Chris was going to see if they could locate an M51 and replicate the behavior. I'm hoping this is a firmware issue and will be fixed soon...it's annoying to have to listen to hi-res files with occasional random buffering pauses. If anyone has suggestions on an interim solution, they would be welcome. Thx.

Same same ..... with my Aries femto .... some times next track don't starts playing ..... hope Auralic soon fix this ! :-/

I'm not 100% certain, but this is possibly related to an issue I reported to Auralic with my Aries Mini getting hit by playback interruptions, especially at (but not limited to) 100Mbps networking speed. This was with the Mini running the latest 4.1.0 firmware. Auralic has apparently reproduced and diagnosed the issue and working on a fix to be available in the next beta firmware. It looks like this issue occurs throughout the whole Aries family of streamers.

I'd guess the inability to play an album all the way through has got nothing to do with your HW setup. We'll need to be patient to wait for Auralic to release a beta firmware to squash this bug. I have already configured my Aries Mini to download beta firmware and will report test results to Auralic.

Hmmm ..... I have a 100/30 connection and i never know if the next track starts when playing Tidal using LDS !

NO problem when using Tidal / Airplay ! ....... :-(

Thanks for the help everyone. My Aries arrived on Tuesday and I am loving it. I have a Synology NAS sending music wirelessly to the Aries which is feeding a Schiit Bifrost DAC into a Schiit Valhalla 2 headphone amp. Sounds great with the HD800. Now I just have to wait for the Yggdrasil and Zana Deux to arrive...

BTW I went with the Pangea AC 14 XL cable. Bulky but appears to be getting the job done.