IGNORED

Auralic Aries (Hardware) - Impressions and Information

Never compared it to anything else. Just went by the reviews. I don't think the price is that bad. There are higher priced cables out there. If I'm going to spend the kind of money I did on the Aries and Vega why buy a 20 dollar cable to connect them. I feel the performance justifies the cost and gives me piece of mind.

Hi Mike,

I am using SBooster linear power supply for my Aries, highly recommended!

Anyway, i can send you my original Aries LE supply (EU 230V version), as i dont need it anymore. For free to you, just postage. If interested, send me PM.

Not sure if he took you up on it, but I just wanted to say thanks for making this offer.

This is yet another example of the amazing, generous people one encounters on CA.

Curious

I currently use Curious. Length matters too. The shorter the better. Unlike in other areas of life. :)

I haven't done extensive comparisons, but I preferred the short Curious 0.2m to my previous Cardas Clear 2m. More recently, as part of a component comparison at another CA'er, he preferred my Curious cables to his Oyaide Neo d+.

FWIW.

Has anyone used a Uptone Regen between DAC and Aries? If so, what has been your experience of the sonic improvement?

I'll give you my take . The Regen made considerable improvement to audio quality with Delta Sigma dacs but only marginal improvement to R2R dacs like the Schiit Yggdrasil .

Sent from my iPhone using Computer Audiophile

Thanks.

I am going to buy either the Curious or the Sablon Elite USB cables, but wasn't sure if the Regen would offer an improvement. My DAC is the Metrum Musette which uses the HiFace USB implementation.

I have not used a Nos dac with the Regen so I'm not sure what improvement you would get with it .

I'll give you my take . The Regen made considerable improvement to audio quality with Delta Sigma dacs but only marginal improvement to R2R dacs like the Schiit Yggdrasil .

for me, i did get benefit by adding the regen in front of my gumby. i think the reason that there wasn't much improvement with the yggy is the usb gen 3 module (gumby only has usb gen 2 module).

(1) holo audio red (hqp naa) > chord dave > luxman cl-38uc/mq-88uc > kef reference 1
(2) simaudio moon mind 2 > chord qutest > luxman sq-n150 > monitor audio gold gx100
What is the difference between gen2 and gen3 technically?

the usb gen 3 module is more advanced (the cmedia chip is different) -- not sure of the details . . . .

it's the first usb implementation that schiit seems to be excited about.

(1) holo audio red (hqp naa) > chord dave > luxman cl-38uc/mq-88uc > kef reference 1
(2) simaudio moon mind 2 > chord qutest > luxman sq-n150 > monitor audio gold gx100
just to be sure: are you talking about an Aries, Aries LE or Aries Mini?

no idea about the SBooster but tried and found, with my Aries, that:

- HDPlex 100w was better than stock LPS

- UpTone's JS-2 was wow!

- Vinnie Rossi's Mini-Pure-4evr blows even the UpTone away :)

PL-svn

Just saw this post and found it very instructive. I too found the JS-2 took my Aries to another level above the stock Auralic LPS. Now you say the new Rossi Mini-Pure blows away the JS-2. Could you elaborate on the sonic differences?

Source: Intel i3 NUC/fanless/Euphony/Ext SSD) JS-2;

DAC: Mojo Mystique V2/Regen /LPS1.2;Curious USB

Preamp: Music First Audio passive V2/ Morrow cables

Amp: Sanders Electrostatic; Mapleshade power cable

Speakers: Magneplanar 1.7/Hsu vTF2 sub/Room 27x15'  

Misc: eR; extensive anti-vibration; 1.7's on Herbie's footers

Could you elaborate on the sonic differences?

same as when you replaced Aries' stock LPS with the JS-2: darker background, more air, better focus/soundstage etc

you get some more of that all when moving from the JS-2 to the Mini-PureDC

now... $1000 more? no, but if you have something else that would benefit from being powered by the JS-2 (I'm now using it for both a Mac mini and a 2Qute, the latter was previously powered by the HD-Plex)... imho worth it

and I believe Vinnie has a 30 days return policy (check about this)

Qnap HS-264 NAS (powered by an HD-Plex 100w LPS) > Cirrus7 Nimbini v2.5 Media Edition i7-8559U/32/512 running Roon ROCK (powered by a Keces P8 LPS) > Lumin U2  > Metrum Acoustics Adagio NOS digital preamplifier > Metrum Acoustics Forte power amplifier (or  First Watt SIT 3  power amplifier or Don Garber Fi "Y" 6922 tube preamplifier + Don Garber Fi "X" 2A3 SET power amplifier, both powered from an Alpha-Core BP-30 Isolated Symmetrical Power Transformer) > Klipsch Cornwall IV

headphones system:

Cirrus 7 > Lumin U2 > Metrum Acoustics Adagio > Pathos Aurium amplifier (powered by an UpTone Audio JS-2 LPS) > Focal Clear headphones

Some help would be appreciated. I’m running a Macbook Pro with Audirvana + into my Antelope Zodiac DAC, and the Macbook’s hard drive is on its last legs. So I need to upgrade this. It seems I have some options:

A) upgrade the Pro with a SSD (not able to do this myself), keep everything else (cheapest option)

B) buy a new Macmini, upgrade with SSD

C) buy Auralic Aries

I am currently having some trouble with the Lightning app, as it confuses some album and tracks titles, and the album art seems hit or miss. I am no fan of iTunes, but at least I am able to edit album art and edit metadata, which I am not able to do if I use Minimserver.

My immediate questions are these:

Does the Aries sound noticeably better than the Macbook Pro or mini?

Is there a way to edit metadata in a upnp system like Minimserver?

Thanks for your help. Learning a lot.

Go properly set up networked audio every time, it's a different class to computer USB. You can't compare the two when done right.

• 2 weeks later...

The appreciation of cables upgrade is in my experience system dependent. I have 2 set-ups at home: one with Aries+Devialet 250, one with Aurender N10+COS D1. I have tried 4 different USB cables from £30 to 900 and have found significant differences. The sablon is my persona favorite particularly with the higher end system (Aurender / cos): superior soundstage, more transparent, just more synergistic with the rest of my system!

• 3 weeks later...

Hi, I am considering getting an Aries for use with a Genelec system as a Roon endpoint. The Genelec needs AES input so the list of streamers that will work is limited. Does anyone use it this way and have any comments on the AES/SPDIF quality relative to other sources? I am also considering the Bryston BDP-2 but I like the form factor of the Aries better (also the price.) Anyone with any other recommendations? The higher end Aurenders are out of my budget.

Roon ->UltraRendu + CI Audio 7v LPS-> Kii Control -> Kii Three

Roon->BMC UltraDAC->Mr Speakers Aeon Flow Open