IGNORED

Auralic Aries (Hardware) - Impressions and Information

A bit reluctant to ask this since it's so crazy, well ...

I recently changed my Asus router ta a Linksys Wrt1900acs and immediately thought that the sound got brighter. Tried to revert to the Asus again today, and yes it's not as bright.

How is this even possible? My Aries is connected wirelessly, latest firmware and nothing else is changed in the environment...???

The system is used mainly for Tidal streaming, Aries is connected via USB to a Primare amp (also on wireless) to SF Olympica 3 speakers.

Anyone?

• 2 weeks later...

I have a Aries (standard model, not LE) with the linear power supply on the way. A 1st gen ipad air to run the lightning app.

I dont intend to do any internet streaming (Tidal, ect...). My config is to be:

USB (thumb drive or hdd)->Aries->Coax->Rega DAC

My questions are:

1) Does the USB file host need to be formatted any particular way (FAT, FAT32, ect...) for best play back?

2) What options in setup should be turned off or on in this configuration?

3a) I plan to use a Blue Jeans Beldon 1694A 4-5' coax cable from the Aries to the DAC. Good enough?

3b) For a USB hdd, does cable length or quality make a difference?

4) I am reading some say the the Wifi interface sounds better. Does that apply to playing/listening to local only files or to streaming or to both? Is that a general consensus or disputed?

5) Does the proximity (distance) of the modem/router (Westell 7500) to the Aries matter? The Aries to other equipment?

Why do you need to turn it off? It is basically a computer, it is better for it to be left on. I assume it was designed this way intentionally.

I'll just turn off the display permanently, as recommended by Auralic in stead.

Still really pleased with the device.

Can now confirm that changing the PSU to a better one, changed the sound to the better.

I haven't made an A/B comparison yet, but my mind tells me there is a positive difference.

Can now confirm that changing the PSU to a better one, changed the sound to the better.

I haven't made an A/B comparison yet, but my mind tells me there is a positive difference.

How do you turn off the display permanently??? I don't think you can if it's in standby... Whats the big deal. I like the display when it's in standby mode.

could you you show us which "better PSU" are you using now ? Where did you buy it from ?

Thanks

Re- group play problems. Mr. Wang emailed me a few days ago and they have been able to recreate the stutter/drop out problems I have been having during group play. There is some sort of bandwidth issue when using a wired connection, which I prefer. Switching to wireless only has fixed this problem. The next firmware update will hopefully if this.

could you you show us which "better PSU" are you using now ? Where did you buy it from ?

Thanks

I posted a picture of it in my 1st post on this page.

I've bought a swagman lab regular edition PSU with EMI filter fitted as well.

Search "swagman lab" in google, and you'll find his page. Took about 6 days from ordering till it arrived.

Beta Firmware Release Notice

Current Beta Version: 4.0 (Released on 9th September 2016)

New Features since Version 4.0.Beta7:

Auto resample PCM sampling rate below 44.1K to 44.1K or 48K to resolve radio station playback issue

Fixes since Version 4.0.Beta7:

Particular type of AIF file wont play

Invalid seek track commend lead to device device dead-lock

AACP file or radio station wont play

Improvement since Version 4.0.Beta7:

Sound quality improvement, especially at higher sampling rate

Better DLNA server compatibility by ignore wrong MIME information

Anyone tested the new 4.1 Beta1 version.? Noticed any changes in sound quality? in my ears the new beta version add a little more weight in the lower bas area...

After listening to some of my favorite tracks, I really like this beta version and overall the sound is real nice in my system, maybe a little bit more relaxed ?

Auralic Aries G2 - Kii Control -  Kii Three active speakers -  OPPO BDP 95 - Clearaudio Concept turtable / AT-33 PTG II pu /Clearaudio Maestro Wood pu - Rega Fono MC riaa / Musical Surrondings riaa

Head-fi:

Beyerdynamic DT 1770 Pro - Shure SE846w/Silver Dragon - Chord Mojo

Hi atletico,

maybe it is just the power of suggestion after reading your comments, but I also believe there is a slight increase in warmth to the sound with the new 4.1 beta 1. If there is a change in the quality of sound it is somewhat of a surprise, as there was no mention of any intent to improve the sound quality in the notes attached to this new version, more about improving compatibility, etc.

Hi atletico,

maybe it is just the power of suggestion after reading your comments, but I also believe there is a slight increase in warmth to the sound with the new 4.1 beta 1. If there is a change in the quality of sound it is somewhat of a surprise, as there was no mention of any intent to improve the sound quality in the notes attached to this new version, more about improving compatibility, etc.

I couldn't help noticing in the beta release notes:

• Add experimental Upsampler (internal testing only)

Does this mean we may soon see the long awaited upsampling to DSD at long last?

but not with roon

roon ROCK on a NUC Dawsoncanyon

ELAC DDP-2 as roon endpoint and Preamp (also for analog devices, TV, Omtec turntable amp for my Thorens TD2001)

XLR > ATC SCM45A pro

RME ADI 2 DAC Fs DAC/Pre with ADAM Artist5 at PC setup

Grado GH-1 Headphone

I have just had a problem with Aries. Its been playing normally this evening and then mid-track stopped playing. The word 'buffering' came up on the Ipad. I tried playing another track but still no sound. Re-booted and just getting 'Aries Starting' on the display and that is as far as it will go. Also re-booted the router and still no change. Have messaged Auralic. Anyone having a similar experience or can offer suggestions to solve this?

Regards,

Martin.

Thanks for the suggestions. Christian at Auralic has also suggested 'Resetting'. I've spent half a very frustrating day resetting and rebooting Aries, the router and the iPad. All without success. For some reason Aries won't connect to the network either by Wifi or cable. I suspect it is something internal as everything was playing normally for an hour and then for no reason music stopped playing mid-track. On the start-up sequence, the display never gets past 'Aries starting'. When connecting to the router by cable, the yellow light at the back of Aries doesn't change to green and the router port used doesn't light either. Switching off, display doesn't say 'goodbye' followed by a dim 'Auralic' but instead blinks six to two dots. Aries brain confused? Mine hurts. Only other odd behaviour occurred when updating old album art; changed art using 'Yate'. New art appears on the main page and when album is selected, but when I tap to full screen view, art reverts to previous version. Yate help say its an Auralic problem. Hoping to hear back from Auralic about initial issue.

Regards,

Martin.

Sent from my iPad using Computer Audiophile

Hi all,

Being a glutton for punishment and having the time, I decided to plug in Aries and see what would happen. The pleasant surprise was that it started up the way it always has as if nothing had ever happened. Despite having reset Aries at least five times, no setup was necessary, all the parts in the chain recognised each other and played nicely. I can't explain; the vagaries of CA. I'm expecting a very good upgrade of Lightning DS to make the weekend's frustration forgivable.

Martin.

@Hauser had something similar happen to my Aries a couple weeks ago: playback suddenly stopped and Aries vanished from my network. Tried resetting (one... two... three times...) and it was always starting up with the WiFi icon but I could not connect from my iPad :-/

Unplugging the power cord, leaving it unplugged for a while then restarting solved the issue and, as in your case, everything was automagically back as usual :-|

Qnap HS-264 NAS (powered by an HD-Plex 100w LPS) > Cirrus7 Nimbini v2.5 Media Edition i7-8559U/32/512 running Roon ROCK (powered by a Keces P8 LPS) > Lumin U2  > Metrum Acoustics Adagio NOS digital preamplifier > Metrum Acoustics Forte power amplifier (or  First Watt SIT 3  power amplifier or Don Garber Fi "Y" 6922 tube preamplifier + Don Garber Fi "X" 2A3 SET power amplifier, both powered from an Alpha-Core BP-30 Isolated Symmetrical Power Transformer) > Klipsch Cornwall IV

headphones system:

Cirrus 7 > Lumin U2 > Metrum Acoustics Adagio > Pathos Aurium amplifier (powered by an UpTone Audio JS-2 LPS) > Focal Clear headphones

That doesn't work for beta testers I believe. Only for internal testing at Auralic development. Wonder why they mentioned it when the released this beta version. Oh well, it's coming and I'm really looking forward to it!

Oh thanks for the info . I was wondering why no one had commented on the upsampling feature .

Sent from my iPhone using Computer Audiophile