IGNORED

HQ Player

On 4/24/2020 at 2:44 PM, juanitox said:

something i have no answer ,  why 2s filters sounds less good than non-2s ones ?

I don't take side which sounds better because it is subjective matter. Technically both -2s and non-2s are good with equivalent practical performance. However, the results are not mathematically identical, although the difference is very small. So both options are offered.

Signalyst - Developer of HQPlayer

Pulse & Fidelity - Software Defined Amplifiers

55 minutes ago, Miska said:

Probably depends on what filters you are using. Or does it work with poly-sinc-xtr too? My 7700K is not in usable state at the moment.

No it didn’t work with xtr. Or Closed form 16M. But then the latter won’t work with the 9900ks either (without GPU). 

9 minutes ago, Miska said:

I don't take side which sounds better because it is subjective matter. Technically both -2s and non-2s are good with equivalent practical performance. However, the results are not mathematically identical, although the difference is very small. So both options are offered.

If HQP server is direct USB connected to USB DAC, the significantly higher CPU loading with non-2s may be a factor?

This should technically be a non-issue if using NAA though (network isolated).

1 minute ago, asdf1000 said:

If HQP server is direct USB connected to USB DAC, the significantly higher CPU loading with non-2s may be a factor?

One possibility, but it would first need to be verified if higher CPU load makes any difference to the USB. Of course there's no general rule for such, but it totally depends on the particular hardware in question.

3 minutes ago, asdf1000 said:

This should technically be a non-issue if using NAA though (network isolated).

Yes, that's certainly the case.

8 minutes ago, craighartley said:

No it didn’t work with xtr. Or Closed form 16M. But then the latter won’t work with the 9900ks either (without GPU).

Yeah, with 9900KS xtr works up to DSD512 for me, although at DSD512 the CPU cores are close to full load.

RTX2080Ti does xtr to DSD512 at 45% GPU load. I don't remember how much closed-form-16M takes on that GPU, but probably less (since as a work load it fits GPU very well).

23 minutes ago, kelvinwsy said:

Sorry Typo Dsd128 works fine.. I think my GPU bring a lousy GTX 970 4 gb not quite cutting it

Dsd256 plays using EC modulators and lower filters but stutters

Have you tried it without GPU offload (without CUDA ticked)? If you think your GPU does not cut it, maybe you would be better without using it. My 6700k did EC modulators to DSD256 without any GPU.

1 hour ago, kelvinwsy said:

Sorry Typo Dsd128 works fine.. I think my GPU bring a lousy GTX 970 4 gb not quite cutting it

Dsd256 plays using EC modulators and lower filters but stutters

Likely the GPU is the limiting factor if you have CUDA enabled. CPU may end up waiting for the GPU if it is not fast enough. Performance improvements in HQPlayer workloads for example from 980 to 1080 and to 2080 are quite huge.

the bios wrt overclocking in my Lenovo 6700 k is rather simple . Even tho it says 4.5 ghz, with the standard CPU fan, For EC modulators it starts at 4.4 drops to 4.28 and then stays at 4.1/4.12 so throttling never allows full overclocking!

I will try Cuda unticked .. No go!

I hv settled on Dsd 128 ASDM7EC with xrt-lp filters..

As Happy as my Rig will allow. And I converted the Trial Hwplayer4 to paid up 

Say any comments to my proposed 9900 new rig??

3 hours ago, kelvinwsy said:

Ooh the plain 9900 is nit capable at overclocking So it looks like the 9900kf it is

Comments Jussi?

9900KS is best (5 GHz all-core turbo), but 9900K or 9900KF are good too. I never quite got hold of the F version which doesn't have built-in GPU, but has similar price and no differences in the specs. Theoretically it should have more TDP budget, but it is not reflected in the specs.

1st 2 cores set limit in BIOS to 46 (max)

2nd 2 cores set to 44 (max)

Forgot to mention I am on WIN SERVER 2019 Core

Will refit the WIN10 Pro SSD and try again.

I have even try the hb filters which are mild. _ No go! 

Will try Optimized defaults - which tends to cancel some of my AO settings. but I will try.

Aside - the KF vs the KS - still no diff doing EC with DSD 256? - EC with DSD  512 is unobtainable?

6 hours ago, kelvinwsy said:

1st 2 cores set limit in BIOS to 46 (max)

2nd 2 cores set to 44 (max)

Forgot to mention I am on WIN SERVER 2019 Core

Will refit the WIN10 Pro SSD and try again.

I have even try the hb filters which are mild. _ No go! 

Will try Optimized defaults - which tends to cancel some of my AO settings. but I will try.

Aside - the KF vs the KS - still no diff doing EC with DSD 256? - EC with DSD  512 is unobtainable?

Confirmed 9900KS EC with DSD 512 unobtainable with any filter. 

Have you got Windows set to Ultimate Performance power setting?

3 minutes ago, der_yeti said:

Same with my 9900K  - 512 is possible without EC modulators. 256 is going well with EC.

Is there any available processor dealing EC modulators on a 512 rate or higher?

No, processing speed is about 0.55x while you would need to get it to a bit over 1.0x for 512 to work.

Hi Jussi,

Could you please post the minimum clocks speeds needed for the EC modulators at the various DSD levels? The reason I ask is that DSD128 using ASDM7EC sounds better than DSD256 using ASDM7EC. I was wondering if it is a clock speed issue. I have an i5 8400 six core machine but the max clock is 3.9 Ghz. I suspect that DSD256 using ASDM7EC might need a higher clock. It does work at DSD256 using poly-sync ext2 without dropouts but it just does not sound as good as DSD128 using the same filter and modulator. I know that DSD512 is not doable at the moment but when I upgrade my HQP computer, it would be helpful to know this.

Thanks