IGNORED

HQ Player

On 4/4/2020 at 6:12 PM, Miska said:

I need to update the Client in respect to this. On server side, media keys are already overloaded to function keys that map to the Mac keyboard:

Play/Pause = F8

Stop = ESC

Previous = F7

Next = F9

Volume Down = F11

Volume Up = F12

Volume Mute = F10

I'll try to include this mapping also on Client in next release.

On Client, you can quickly switch between the three views:

Cover flow (left) = 1

Play view (middle) = 2

Playlist editor (right) = 3

Thank you, having function keys working in Client will definitely help.

Additionally I can't seem to be able to select recording device as input such as audio:/default/44100/2, clicking "Play" --> nothing happens. Also I see frequent disconnections between Client and Server, I need to reconnect very often using drop down menu.

Client is on MacOS laptop, Desktop/Server is on Windows 10 i7-9700K PC.

18 hours ago, alec_eiffel said:

Feature request : "smart" detection of input sampling rate. I have added Room Shaper VST Plugin in Foobar in the audio chain between Roon and HQPlayer, using VB Virtual Cable, and it could be great to have HQPlayer auto-detecting input sampling rate.

That depends on what API is used for the purpose. WASAPI doesn't support such. While ASIO does when some driver happens to implement it, which is rare.

Signalyst - Developer of HQPlayer

Pulse & Fidelity - Software Defined Amplifiers

19 hours ago, alec_eiffel said:

Additionally I can't seem to be able to select recording device as input such as audio:/default/44100/2, clicking "Play" --> nothing happens.

It is selected when loaded to the playlist, so remember to hit enter after selecting one of the predefined source URIs.

Also remember to allow input access from privacy settings on Windows. Settings -> Privacy -> Microphone -> Allow desktop applications to access microphone.

19 hours ago, alec_eiffel said:

Also I see frequent disconnections between Client and Server, I need to reconnect very often using drop down menu.

Client is on MacOS laptop, Desktop/Server is on Windows 10 i7-9700K PC.

Something is possibly intervening with the connection then. Server uses TCP keepalive to notice disappeared clients, which kicks in about 30 seconds if client is not responding.

On 4/3/2020 at 1:46 PM, Miska said:

K, you have the library.xml appearing correctly under "~/.hqplayer" folder?

Please check permissions of that folder that HQPlayer can write to it.

Yes, the library file is there and contains data.

Well, I ran into some strange trouble when running HQPlayer. A strange hssssssssssss sound comes out of my headphones when I try to play back music through HQPlayer when I want to listen to my DSD64 or DSD128 audio materials. Before doing so, I set the Default Output Mode to "source" and leaving the SDM Pack set to DoP as my Woo WA8 can only do double DSD over DoP. And what I hear is that shhhhh sound. So how can I play back for instance double dsd in its native format without SDM oversampling? Thank you

"high fidelity” -> being faithful, accuracy in details; “the degree to which an electronic device accurately reproduces sound

19 minutes ago, Peti said:

Well, I ran into some strange trouble when running HQPlayer. A strange hssssssssssss sound comes out of my headphones when I try to play back music through HQPlayer when I want to listen to my DSD64 or DSD128 audio materials. Before doing so, I set the Default Output Mode to "source" and leaving the SDM Pack set to DoP as my Woo WA8 can only do double DSD over DoP. And what I hear is that shhhhh sound. So how can I play back for instance double dsd in its native format without SDM oversampling?

What does HQPlayer indicate as output format?

Please make sure to set 44.1k x128 as SDM rate limit in settings.

Default output mode I set to [source}

I want to see the CPU consumption of the player if I play back native DSD128 file natively, no upsampling.

"high fidelity” -> being faithful, accuracy in details; “the degree to which an electronic device accurately reproduces sound

9 hours ago, Peti said:

Default output mode I set to [source}

I want to see the CPU consumption of the player if I play back native DSD128 file natively, no upsampling.

Well, this didn't answer the question though.

But under DSD Sources there's a "Direct SDM" setting that passes DSD through as is, if output mode is set to to SDM or [source]. Note that this also sets volume to fixed -3 dBFS for PCM sources (to avoid surprise jumps in volume when source content changes).

"Default output mode" is just about whether HQPlayer flips between PCM and SDM output depending on PCM/DSD source. Setting it to "[source]" potentially makes sense only on very few DACs (Holo Spring and Denafrips).

K, then the contents should also appear in HQPlayer server's Library-dialog and in Client when connected to the HQPlayer server.

So I started HQPlayer 4, started Client, searched for an album,then clicked on the album. The songs wouldn't load. The songs would load only when I do a scan of the library before starting Client.

6 hours ago, Miska said:

But under DSD Sources there's a "Direct SDM" setting that passes DSD through as is, if output mode is set to to SDM or [source]. Note that this also sets volume to fixed -3 dBFS for PCM sources (to avoid surprise jumps in volume when source content changes).

That did the trick, thank you!

2 hours ago, clang said:

So I started HQPlayer 4, started Client, searched for an album,then clicked on the album. The songs wouldn't load. The songs would load only when I do a scan of the library before starting Client.

Then the content location in the library is different every time? How does the content path look like in the Library dialog?

I'm not sure what you mean by "content path." I attach 2 screenshots. One shows the screen I got when I clicked "library" in the settings menu; the other when I got to the folder holding most of the folders containing the music files(on an additional SSD). They are the same folders every time I start HQPlayer.

thumbnail.jpeg

thumbnail (1).jpeg

45 minutes ago, clang said:

I'm not sure what you mean by "content path." I attach 2 screenshots. One shows the screen I got when I clicked "library" in the settings menu; the other when I got to the folder holding most of the folders containing the music files(on an additional SSD). They are the same folders every time I start HQPlayer.

thumbnail.jpeg

thumbnail (1).jpeg

The first ones under your home folder should appear and work consistently every time. The external HDD one depends whether it is actually consistently/permanently mounted through /etc/fstab or if it is through temporary mount by the desktop environment.

Even if the external HDD appears every on the same path, if it is not permanently mounted through /etc/fstab, it appears after reboot only once you trigger mount of the drive by clicking through it on the desktop environment/file dialog.

On 4/4/2020 at 6:12 PM, Miska said:

I need to update the Client in respect to this. On server side, media keys are already overloaded to function keys that map to the Mac keyboard:

Play/Pause = F8

Stop = ESC

Previous = F7

Next = F9

Volume Down = F11

Volume Up = F12

Volume Mute = F10

I'll try to include this mapping also on Client in next release.

On Client, you can quickly switch between the three views:

Cover flow (left) = 1

Play view (middle) = 2

Playlist editor (right) = 3

Hi Miska, On my Mac Pro 2019 the Volume Down = F11 doesn't work at all.  It changes the screen/enviroment.

All other Functions work properly but volume down not. The same occurs when I use my iPad wit Remote for iPad.

Ps. F10 is now mute

Strange isn't?

Regards,Andreas

Ethernet::4x Bonn Silent Angel 8P, Afterdark Emperor Doublr  Crown Masterclock and Cybershaft 75 Ohm,Mini Circuits convertor,Uptone EtherRegen with 75Ohm. SOTM Cat CAT 7.

Audio: Auralic Vega G2.1, Cambridge Edge W, Kef Reference 3 speakers.  
Power: Farad super 3 (2x) , Keces P8 ( 2 Uptone LPS1.2 ) Afterdark 5V: 

Cables:Meicord Opal, SOTM Cat7 with filtering, Ghent Audio DC , Farad Level 2, Sharkwire speaker cable

19 minutes ago, ambre said:

Hi Miska, On my Mac Pro 2019 the Volume Down = F11 doesn't work at all.  It changes the screen/enviroment.

All other Functions work properly but volume down not. The same occurs when I use my iPad wit Remote for iPad.

Ps. F10 is now mute

Strange isn't?

Regards,Andreas

Ps. When Client is active the all functions buttons don't work either. Only the 1,2 and 3 for changing screen within Client.

Ethernet::4x Bonn Silent Angel 8P, Afterdark Emperor Doublr  Crown Masterclock and Cybershaft 75 Ohm,Mini Circuits convertor,Uptone EtherRegen with 75Ohm. SOTM Cat CAT 7.

Cables:Meicord Opal, SOTM Cat7 with filtering, Ghent Audio DC , Farad Level 2, Sharkwire speaker cable

3 hours ago, ambre said:

Ps. F10 is now mute

Strange isn't?

As I said, I need to update the client to include these. Now only supported on the server side.

Next release includes these for the Client too.

2 hours ago, Miska said:

As I said, I need to update the client to include these. Now only supported on the server side.

Next release includes these for the Client too.

Missa,

Ok it doesn’t work as stated in previous note on the Server site.
That was my main remark.
that Cliënt will have to same functionality is fine.

But now  volume down doesn’t work on latest OS of Apple.

This may sound an odd question, but has anyone compared the sound of HQ Player via Roon into an NAA without any of the filters to aRoon direct to a  Roonbridge or Squeezelite endpoint?  I ask because I find Squeezelite consistently preferable to the Roonbridge approach and wondered whether the NAA might be different/better again.  

Many thanks.

Alan

Hi, I’m running HQPlayer Destop on a dedicated Windows 10 machine with a RTX 2080 card for CUDA.  It plays to a pi 4 running NAA.  I notice that with the most recent version of HQPlayer that if I put the PC to sleep after a listening session that when I wake the PC, I need to close down HQPlyer and then restart it before music will play.  In the past, things will play fine without having to close HQPlayer and relaunching.  Any ideas why?  I am controlling HQPlayer via Roon.  Thanks!

@Miska I don't use Desktop version of HQP (only use Embedded) but if using HQP Desktop on macOS, what is your recommended way to use loopback of software audio, for example Tidal Desktop app or Qobuz Desktop app (or any app)?

Is your preferred loopback software bit-perfect for different sample rates?

And does HQP Desktop feature automatic sample rate switching?

How to set this up in HQP Desktop?

Can you share some screenshots

Also - have you any experience with RME's TotalMix FX? Apparently it features loopback feature.

On 12/14/2019 at 1:50 AM, Miska said:

Do you know if someone is selling such in Europe? Importing anything from outside of EU is always PITA...

https://www.audiophonics.fr/en/dac-with-volume/topping-d90-balanced-dac-ak4499-xmos-xu208-i2s-32bit-768khz-dsd512-bluetooth-50-black-p-14281.html

I mentioned in a different thread:

I confirmed with Topping - when you switch to 'DAC only' mode (no variable volume) with their D90 and E30, it is using Direct DSD of the AKM chip

I sent them the below with the red circle and they confirmed this is the path it takes, with 'DAC only mode' when fed DSD.

Both have separate clocks for 44.1kHz and 48kHz base rates

image.thumb.png.cc5acb62e2a075f5ecff264258c55694.png