IGNORED

HQ Player

27 minutes ago, Miska said:

I kind of wonder why you wouldn't use the EC also for DSD?

i thought that for DSD to DSD conversion it was the IRR or FIR modulator who was in charge not the PCM to DSD  , i was wrong  :)

PC audio /Roon + HQPLAYER / HOLO Spring 2 / / DIY AD1 SET tube amp  /  DIY Altec 2 way horn Speaker

13 minutes ago, juanitox said:

i thought that for DSD to DSD conversion it was the IRR or FIR modulator who was in charge not the PCM to DSD  , i was wrong  :)

For DSD output you always need a modulator. Modulator setting is not specific for PCM or DSD sources. I hope this information is quite clearly indicated in the status displays too.

Signalyst - Developer of HQPlayer

Pulse & Fidelity - Software Defined Amplifiers

31 minutes ago, Solstice380 said:

On Win10 I have not had the drop-down menus in HQP 4 Desktop, Hi DPI or No style.  Now on Win10 Build 1909.

image.thumb.png.812f0eace32e8e80633d1649bcc2e98a.png

The drop downs are on the client side, I use them often and they work well.

Annotation 2020-03-29 104327.jpg

Desktop: HQ Player --> Singxer SU-1 --> Matrix X-Sabre Pro --> McChanson SuperSilver UltimatE

Headphones: Audeze MM-500, Meze Audio Elite, Focal Utopia 2022, Focal Bathys (Wireless)

Portable Gear: Hiby RS6, xDuoo XD05 Bal 2, FiiO BTR7, Creative BT-W5, FiiTii HiFiDots TWS

Nearfield Active Speakers: Audioengine HD3 

Power Conditioning: Furman Elite-15 PFi

So there was the remark above regarding the drop-down menus to change filters etc from the player menu.

I agree, they were there in version 3 but version 4 they are gone (Desktop version).

I tried the pro version some time back and the drop down menus were included there.

Since I do not use Client Version (or should I?), I lost some functionality there.

Thanks, Mike

8 hours ago, mikel said:

So there was the remark above regarding the drop-down menus to change filters etc from the player menu.

I agree, they were there in version 3 but version 4 they are gone (Desktop version).

I tried the pro version some time back and the drop down menus were included there.

Since I do not use Client Version (or should I?), I lost some functionality there.

Thanks, Mike

The Desktop version of HQ Player does include the client. Although client has to be launched separately from the server component the 2 work seamlessly together and using drop down menus in client is very functional and convenient. To quote an old TV commercial "Try it, you'll like it" or so i hope.

Desktop: HQ Player --> Singxer SU-1 --> Matrix X-Sabre Pro --> McChanson SuperSilver UltimatE

Headphones: Audeze MM-500, Meze Audio Elite, Focal Utopia 2022, Focal Bathys (Wireless)

Portable Gear: Hiby RS6, xDuoo XD05 Bal 2, FiiO BTR7, Creative BT-W5, FiiTii HiFiDots TWS

13 hours ago, mikel said:

They are not gone, they are just relocated to the Client application when lot of other functionality was split into server and client pieces.

In Pro they are in the main window because Pro is not, and cannot be, remote controlled with a client.

13 hours ago, mikel said:

If you want to access the functionality you should.

You could think it like this; if you have a web server to host a web site like this, you don't go to the web server software to view the pages. Instead you use web browser (client) to view the pages served by the server software. This is similar thing.

The main reason I have not used the client is that for my large playlist the Artist ist not displayed.

I get a huge list of songs on the left and navigation much more difficult it seems than the desktop version.

From what I can tell, there is not way configure what the Client displays.

The playlist for me should be displaying similar information as the Desktop version.

Artwork should be optional.

Otherwise the client cannot replace the functionality of the Desktop user.

This Client idea is for nice for users who sit on the couch to listen to music and use the Client for remote control.

Running both apps on the same computer with the current client client UI forces me to switch between client and desktop. I also use Roon sometimes when I listen to Tidal, but Roon also will not let me switch.

So with Roon, I would have to run Client, Desktop and Roon?

I get it that some of it separated, but why not leave the pulldowns still in the desktop version. The lean design approach would not really be compromised just getting those back.

My vote be to bring those back. There could be a flag in the preference to hide them for users who really always use the client.

Thanks for considering.

Mike

16 hours ago, mikel said:

The main reason I have not used the client is that for my large playlist the Artist ist not displayed.

I get a huge list of songs on the left and navigation much more difficult it seems than the desktop version.

From what I can tell, there is not way configure what the Client displays.

The playlist for me should be displaying similar information as the Desktop version.

Artwork should be optional.

Otherwise the client cannot replace the functionality of the Desktop user.

Well, server side doesn't have any library browsing functionality anymore at all, only the library maintenance functionality. So the server cannot and is not intended to provide same functionality as client. So all content browsing/use is at the client side.

I kind of fail to understand point of a huge playlist instead of using the library browsing and searching functionality and control the playback from there. There you have all the artist and other information available and searchable.

People wanted to have more focus on the artwork and that's why it is more central piece on the Client.

So with Roon, I would have to run Client, Desktop and Roon?

Yes, frequently Roon core and HQPlayer server would be on same or different machines. And then Roon control and HQPlayer client on something else. But anyway, yes you would have Roon's user interface and Client running side by side, since Roon doesn't include all the HQPlayer control functionality.

I get it that some of it separated, but why not leave the pulldowns still in the desktop version. The lean design approach would not really be compromised just getting those back.

My vote be to bring those back. There could be a flag in the preference to hide them for users who really always use the client.

Based on the feedback almost nobody was using those with v3. I am trying to minimize amount of duplicated functionality between the two that also requires synchronizing two GUIs (which tends to get tricky).

4 hours ago, Miska said:

People wanted to have more focus on the artwork and that's why it is more central piece on the Client.

Having a large artwork display on client is a huge plus, harkens back to the days when one blissfully listened to their favorite music while holding the vinyl album cover in their hand...sight and sound combining to augment the experience.

Every time I run HQPlayer Desktop after switching off the computer, I have to scan the library all over again. Is there something I can do about it? I have tried Export Library and Import Library  but it doesn't seem to have any effect.

Clarence

1 hour ago, clang said:

Every time I run HQPlayer Desktop after switching off the computer, I have to scan the library all over again. Is there something I can do about it? I have tried Export Library and Import Library  but it doesn't seem to have any effect.

Is this on Windows? Where is your library located? If you are on a NAS you need to make sure you are logged in to the share before starting up HQPlayer. Best way to ensure this is to make a permanent mapping of a share to a drive letter and then scan the content on that drive.

57 minutes ago, clang said:

All the files and HQPlayer are on the same computer, an NUC, running Ubuntu 18.04.

OK, you have the library.xml appearing correctly under "~/.hqplayer" folder?

Please check permissions of that folder that HQPlayer can write to it.

22 hours ago, Miska said:

OK, you have the library.xml appearing correctly under "~/.hqplayer" folder?

Please check permissions of that folder that HQPlayer can write to it.

Sorry I know nothing about Ubuntu and have to be told in detail how to get there.

10 hours ago, alec_eiffel said:

WHat are the keyboard shortcuts on MacOS for HQPlayer Client? Media Keys don't work, there's nothing in the documentation and the drag and drop volume change roller is supremely inconvenient on a laptop with a trackpad...

I need to update the Client in respect to this. On server side, media keys are already overloaded to function keys that map to the Mac keyboard:

Play/Pause = F8

Stop = ESC

Previous = F7

Next = F9

Volume Down = F11

Volume Up = F12

Volume Mute = F10

I'll try to include this mapping also on Client in next release.

On Client, you can quickly switch between the three views:

Cover flow (left) = 1

Play view (middle) = 2

Playlist editor (right) = 3