IGNORED

HQ Player

On 8/7/2019 at 9:51 AM, ted_b said:

As I've commented ad nauseum, I continue to sit on the sidelines until my room is built out.  However, I COULD spend the time updating my server if you guys think it wise (I've already bought a powerful NUC from Larry for my NAA).  Is it a foregone conclusion that my i7-6700k will not do any EC modulators to DSD256 (which is amazing if true cuz I could do anything except non -2s to 512 with ease..but we've discussed this also ad nauseum  :) )?

Ted, do you feel that a “computer-based” NAA is superior sounding to an endpoint like an uRendu or SOTM?  Just curious how you landed on your current setup.

Speakers: Vandersteen Model 7s, 4 M&K ST-150Ts, 1 VCC-5; Amplification: 2 Vandersteen M7-HPAs, CI Audio D200 MKII, Ayre V-6xe; Preamp: Doshi Audio Line Stage v3.0; Phono Pre: Doshi Audio Phono Pre; Analog: Wave Kinetics NVS with Durand Telos composite arm; SME 3012R arm, Clearaudio Goldfinger Statement v2; Reel to Reel:  Technics RS-1500; Doshi Tape Pre-Amp; Studer A810, Studer A812, Tascam BR-20; Multi-channel: Bryston SP-3; Digital: Custom PC (Sean Jacobs DC4/Euphony/Stylus)> Lampizator Pacific

I cannot get connectivity from hqp to rendu and dac. Everything lights up on rendu router, i load files into hqp but when i click a track to play it does not light up on hqp screen or play music. Any ideas? I think I lost a switch that was in my ethernet chain so I took it out. i rebooted my rendu several times, I'm not bridging. My internet works.

2 hours ago, Theobetley said:

ok how do i know the rendu is connected to my dac? i know there is a way but it escapes me now.

Go to Apps / DAC Diagnostics and make sure your USB device is listed.

Pareto Audio AMD 7700 Server --> Berkeley Alpha USB --> Jeff Rowland Aeris --> Jeff Rowland 625 S2 --> Focal Utopia 3 Diablos with 2 x Focal Electra SW 1000 BE subs

i7-6700K/Windows 10  --> EVGA Nu Audio Card --> Focal CMS50's 

On 8/10/2019 at 7:50 AM, bobflood said:

Anything that is a "modulator" is only for a direct digital stream (DSD). PCM must first be converted to a direct digital stream before SDM (Sigma Delta Modulation) can be applied to it. True PCM playback can only be accomplished by hardware that does multi-bit processing. A good example is a R2R ladder DAC like those used by MSB, Holo or Denifripps to mention just a few. The other way is by using a multi-bit chip like Schiit does in some of its DACs.

Most chip DACs use a proprietary process to convert incoming PCM to a digital stream before applying SDM modulation to it.

The bottom line is that unless one has heard PCM converted by a multi-bit processor, one has not really heard PCM.

So what do the different modulator options for PCM in HQP do? Does HQP convert to DSD and then back again?

Can one upgrade directly HQPlayer desktop from 3.25.x to 4.1.x?  Will the old license keys work?

I assume I just need to uninstall my current version and install the new one?

Speakers: Vandersteen Model 7s, 4 M&K ST-150Ts, 1 VCC-5; Amplification: 2 Vandersteen M7-HPAs, CI Audio D200 MKII, Ayre V-6xe; Preamp: Doshi Audio Line Stage v3.0; Phono Pre: Doshi Audio Phono Pre; Analog: Wave Kinetics NVS with Durand Telos composite arm; SME 3012R arm, Clearaudio Goldfinger Statement v2; Reel to Reel:  Technics RS-1500; Doshi Tape Pre-Amp; Studer A810, Studer A812, Tascam BR-20; Multi-channel: Bryston SP-3; Digital: Custom PC (Sean Jacobs DC4/Euphony/Stylus)> Lampizator Pacific

20 hours ago, dminches said:

Ted, do you feel that a “computer-based” NAA is superior sounding to an endpoint like an uRendu or SOTM?  Just curious how you landed on your current setup.

David, I haven't tried it yet, but reports from folks I highly respect say it is an option I need to try.  I will definitely report back once I am back in the saddle (months away).

8 minutes ago, dminches said:

Can one upgrade directly HQPlayer desktop from 3.25.x to 4.1.x?  Will the old license keys work?

No. 3x to 4x is a paid upgrade and will require a new license key. There is an upgrade discount, which is explained on the webshop page.

Roon Server: Core i7-3770S, WS2012 + AO => HQP Server: Core, i7-9700K, HQPlayer OS => NAA: Celeron NUC, HQP NAA => ISO Regen with UltraCap LPS 1.2 => Mapleshade USB Cable => Lampizator L4 DSD-Only Balanced DAC Preamp => Blue Jeans Belden Balanced Cables => Mivera PurePower SE Amp => Magnepan 3.7i

5 minutes ago, k6davis said:

No. 3x to 4x is a paid upgrade and will require a new license key. There is an upgrade discount, which is explained on the webshop page.

Thanks.  Found it.

I assume the upgrade has been received positively?  

18 minutes ago, dminches said:

Thanks.  Found it.

I assume the upgrade has been received positively?  

If you're upsampling to DSD, there are 3 new very high accuracy "EC" modulators (they all have EC in their names) that have been received very positively. They do require substantially more server resources than previous modulators though. Current CPUs on the market can only run them at a maximum of DSD256.

You can give them a listen with the trial download. I found them to definitely be worth the cost of the upgrade. I, and others, have even upgraded our servers to better take advantage of them. 

Roon Server: Core i7-3770S, WS2012 + AO => HQP Server: Core, i7-9700K, HQPlayer OS => NAA: Celeron NUC, HQP NAA => ISO Regen with UltraCap LPS 1.2 => Mapleshade USB Cable => Lampizator L4 DSD-Only Balanced DAC Preamp => Blue Jeans Belden Balanced Cables => Mivera PurePower SE Amp => Magnepan 3.7i

10 hours ago, sixman said:

So what do the different modulator options for PCM in HQP do? Does HQP convert to DSD and then back again?

The PCM filters are not modulators. PCM filters change the impulse response of the signal and may or may not (depending on the selections made) add dither and up-sample to a higher frequency. The end result is still PCM. Modulation is the next of two possible steps. The signal can be sent as PCM to a multi-bit capable DAC (like an R2R DAC) which can convert it to analog. Or, the signal can be converted to a direct digital stream (DSD) and then modulated by a modulator like ASDM 7 EC for example after which it will be sent to a one bit sigma-delta (on-off) DAC for conversion to analog. That is why under the SDM section of HQP one must select a filter first and then a modulator. It is a two step process. Under the PCM section one selects a type of dither and a filter only as modulation is not applied. Some DACs have both a multi-bit processor and a one bit processor (like my Holo Spring 2) and others (most chip based DACs) only have one bit capability. A one bit only DAC will internally convert PCM to a form of DSD and will then apply modulation for the conversion to analog.

This is a simplified explanation so if you want a deeper understanding, there is a world of information on this subject available.

On 8/10/2019 at 9:04 AM, Le Concombre Masqué said:

I feel stupid after several years of HQP use, but I'd like to optimise use of Library and Client... (been D&Ding for ages)

I can't get rid of a single album I entered via File>Library>Scan and, when using Client,  it's the only one that appears under "Album view" even if I have dragged and dropped a dozen albums in HQP's window

Did you check the quick start guide?

Only ones included in library will show up in Client, except currently active playlist. You can remove that album by selecting it in the library and clicking Remove.

If I was to solve the single album stuck in album view, can I reasonably expect to have my thousands of ripped/dowloaded albums to populate Library (tried to but never got the patience or was limited by Trial to see a result) and easily pick the one I want via Client ?

Once you have content scanned into library, you can select it in the Client.

Scanning procedure is very similar in both Desktop and Embedded. Desktop just has more flexible library editing capabilities, while Embedded is simpler and more straightforward operation. Mostly because the two are assumed to be in different kind of environment.

Isn't there a way to D&D from Client, or another form of remote, so that I could ie browse via the Air my Music HDD and feed the Pro in the adjacent room?

Not at the moment. HQPlayer running in remote host doesn't by default have access to files in host running the Client. This would require Client to stream files to HQPlayer server.

Simply put : what is your recommended workflow/config when music files are accessible on a Wifi HDD and that the computer at hands is not the one running the main HQP engine ?

Make that HDD visible to HQPlayer server through SMB share...

Signalyst - Developer of HQPlayer

Pulse & Fidelity - Software Defined Amplifiers

3 hours ago, dminches said:

Both versions can co-exist. But I recommend managing settings and library using v4, because it adds some extra things v3 doesn't have. But configuration and library is backwards compatible with v3.

2 hours ago, Miska said:

Only ones included in library will show up in Client, except currently active playlist. You can remove that album by selecting it in the library and clicking Remove.

done it a dozen times it keeps coming back

Not at the moment. HQPlayer running in remote host doesn't by default have access to files in host running the Client. This would require Client to stream files to HQPlayer server.

Make that HDD visible to HQPlayer server through SMB share...

I'm back to Desktop since I can play all PCM but with light, not always showing, stuttering with 192 while Embedded stutters after a short while  even with 16/44 ; plus SQ is noticeably better with Desktop while it was the other way round till EC. HDD has been perfectly visible for ages when I run Desktop under WS2012. Though I ended up suspecting I don't always like the flavour added by Audirvana, I really appreciated the ease of use : browsing Audirvarna on a computer, streaming to HQPlayer Embedded ; that what I'd like to recreate with Desktop

comments inside, in bold & italic

Could someone post a screen shot of the settings they are using which takes any input file (PCM or DSD) and outputs it to DSD256 or DSD64 so I can a place to start with the new EC modulators.  I started to play with it but everything seems to be converting to 352.8k/ 32 /2.

1 hour ago, dminches said:

Could someone post a screen shot of the settings they are using which takes any input file (PCM or DSD) and outputs it to DSD256 or DSD64 so I can a place to start with the new EC modulators.  I started to play with it but everything seems to be converting to 352.8k/ 32 /2.

It sounds like you may not have set "Default Output Mode" to "SDM (DSD)".

image.thumb.png.a8eeaa377daac31d963b42f2380faa38.png

I have all the same settings but this is what the player looks like when I play a DSD file:

HQP4.jpg

I need to have SDM Pack set to DoP.

8 hours ago, k6davis said:

It sounds like you may not have set "Default Output Mode" to "SDM (DSD)".

7 hours ago, dminches said:

I have all the same settings but this is what the player looks like when I play a DSD file:

You have "Default Output Mode" set to DSD, but HQP is outputting PCM?

Plus, it doesn't matter whether you're playing a DSD file or a PCM file. With the settings I shared (plus "Direct DSD" turned off), all music is output in EC DSD.

1 hour ago, k6davis said:

You have "Default Output Mode" set to DSD, but HQP is outputting PCM?

Plus, it doesn't matter whether you're playing a DSD file or a PCM file. With the settings I shared (plus "Direct DSD" turned off), all music is output in EC DSD.

Once I set SDM Pack to DoP things started to output correctly.

Thanks for your help with this.  I can now start to test settings for sound and to see what my computer can handle.

21 hours ago, Le Concombre Masqué said:

comments inside, in bold & italic

here's my current workflow : instead of drag & drop I add to Library the folders I want to listen to. They add up. Once again, I tried to scan my whole HDD but ended up canceling

@Miska where is the database filed ? Maybe I have several aborted databases taking place in my limited (Bootcamp) SSD share... Could not find it...

Not sure it will be handy dandy in the hand but I will still be able to browse through Finder and then do a Search in  Client

2 minutes ago, Le Concombre Masqué said:

here's my current workflow : instead of drag & drop I add to Library the folders I want to listen to. They add up. Once again, I tried to scan my whole HDD but ended up canceling

@Miska where is the database filed ? Maybe I have several aborted databases taking place in my limited (Bootcamp) SSD share... Could not find it...

You cannot add to the database using drag and drop. Only to the playlist...

And no worries, there's no such concept as aborted databases.

5 minutes ago, Miska said:

You cannot add to the database using drag and drop. Only to the playlist...

And no worries, there's no such concept as aborted databases.

as I wrote, I add to Library INSTEAD OF D&D

If I could have seen a database file inflating I guess I would have let the filings go on rather than aborting them after a few hours "in the black" with progression bar bouncing from left to right and vice versa ; guess it was all in RAM then and cleared off at reboot....