IGNORED

HQ Player

8 hours ago, k6davis said:

After experimenting recently with all combinations of an AMD Ryzen 2700x, an Intel i7-9700K, an RTX 2080 and an RTX 1650, I concluded that no amount of GPU (filter assistance) helps a CPU enough to "make it able" to do EC modulators better.

It depends. Filters can consume enough CPU time that combination of filters + modulators fail to run, and this is not only EC variants, but all. If the CPU is overall too slow to run the modulator, you cannot fix this with GPU.

Another aspect is that running filters on the CPU may limit how much Turbo Boost is given to some of the cores.

At the moment key seems to be to have enough cache and have at least two cores run constantly at >4 GHz clock.

5 hours ago, k6davis said:

My mistake. I'm sure you're right.

What I meant to say is that EC works better on Windows & Linux than it does with the HQP OS bootable image (which uses HQP Embedded). If anyone has been able to get full EC DSD256 working with HQP OS, I would like to know.

Debian and HQPlayer OS builds of HQPlayer Embedded are so similar that it is very likely that they behave the same.

Ubuntu build is quite different with CUDA support and all (it may also work on Debian 10). While Ubuntu build of Embedded and Ubuntu build of Desktop are again very similar. Also Fedora 30 build of Desktop and Embedded are very similar.

Signalyst - Developer of HQPlayer

Pulse & Fidelity - Software Defined Amplifiers

20 hours ago, dean70 said:

Thanks. I have not been able to get HQPlayer 4 to see the NAA either on Win10 NAA or Linux NAA. The networkaudiod window does not show any activity. The only way I can get HQPlayer to discover the NAA is running on the same PC.

I can see the hqplayer UDP requests in Procmon, but networkaudiod does not show any network activity. Tried swapping out the Managed switch to a standard network switch, but no luck.

Either multicasts from HQPlayer are routed somewhere else (they should end up taking default route). Or the computer running networkaudiod has firewall or something like that blocking incoming multicasts.

19 hours ago, dean70 said:

Is there any way to tell HQPlayer to use a specific interface? Windows has a number of virtual network interfaces (TAP-Windows Adapter v9, etc) which are added to the 224.0.0.0 route by default. It appears to be working on the wrong interface.

By default there shouldn't be any extra, unless you have installed some software adding extra ones. TAP adapter sounds like a VPN software.

You can edit the config file manually and add "mcast_interface" attribute in "network" element. Initially you can use "*" as value which will pick up first suitable interface and list all suitable interfaces in the log file. You can then modify it with id of the wanted interface based on log if necessary.

I have problem with CUDA offload with HQPlayer 4 & HQP Embedded on Ubuntu Studio 18.04 - CUDA offload dont't work - it is turn on in applications, but nvidia-smi don't show hqplayer process and CPU usage don't change . To testing drivers and others ok - I installed HQPlayer3 - CUDA  works ok. 

2 minutes ago, emc_1984 said:

I have problem with CUDA offload with HQPlayer 4 & HQP Embedded on Ubuntu Studio 18.04 - CUDA offload dont't work - it is turn on in applications, but nvidia-smi don't show hqplayer process and CPU usage don't change . To testing drivers and others ok - I installed HQPlayer3 - CUDA  works ok. 

Do you have latest Nvidia drivers? You need at minimum driver version 418.67.

IIRC, HQPlayer Desktop 3.25.4 and 4.1.0 use same CUDA version. If the driver is too old, CUDA falls off.

2 hours ago, Miska said:

By default there shouldn't be any extra, unless you have installed some software adding extra ones. TAP adapter sounds like a VPN software.

You can edit the config file manually and add "mcast_interface" attribute in "network" element. Initially you can use "*" as value which will pick up first suitable interface and list all suitable interfaces in the log file. You can then modify it with id of the wanted interface based on log if necessary.

Thanks I will give this a try. I have noticed that by removing the route 224.0.0.0 & re adding to the physical adaptor only, the virtual adaptor routes were recreated on the next reboot, but with a different (higher) metric.

Anyway this is now working with the NAA. Can now do ASMD7EC DSD128 from higher specced desktop PC to Network Audio adaptor running on audio PC

5 hours ago, Miska said:

If the CPU is overall too slow to run the modulator, you cannot fix this with GPU.

You know 1000x more about this than I do, but that sentence you wrote is the point that I was making.

5 hours ago, Miska said:

Debian and HQPlayer OS builds of HQPlayer Embedded are so similar that it is very likely that they behave the same.

Have you been able to get PCM 24-192 -> EC DSD256 x 48 working with HQP OS? Because that would be my favorite option. So far, I've only been able to get it work with Desktop in Windows & Ubuntu.

Roon Server: Core i7-3770S, WS2012 + AO => HQP Server: Core, i7-9700K, HQPlayer OS => NAA: Celeron NUC, HQP NAA => ISO Regen with UltraCap LPS 1.2 => Mapleshade USB Cable => Lampizator L4 DSD-Only Balanced DAC Preamp => Blue Jeans Belden Balanced Cables => Mivera PurePower SE Amp => Magnepan 3.7i

12 hours ago, k6davis said:

Have you been able to get PCM 24-192 -> EC DSD256 x 48 working with HQP OS? Because that would be my favorite option. So far, I've only been able to get it work with Desktop in Windows & Ubuntu.

My i7-8086K server is running Ubuntu Server, so I have done most of the testing on it using the Ubuntu build.

But if @ppy has Debian package build working, which is very similar to the HQPlayer OS one, I'd assume HQPlayer OS build work work very much the same way.

13 minutes ago, baconbrain said:

Will HQplayer output to a Roon Bridge Device via ethernet?

I searched a bit through the thread but didn't have much luck in finding a direct answer ... 🙄

You can connect HQP to another device via Ethernet using HQP NAA software. That is very common. Lots of the streamer devices already have NAA installed or you can download NAA and it install it.

17 minutes ago, ericuco said:

You can connect HQP to another device via Ethernet using HQP NAA software. That is very common. Lots of the streamer devices already have NAA installed or you can download NAA and it install it.

hmmm, doesn’t quite fit given that the device running Roon Bridge is an Innuos Server (acting as a streamer) and one cannot install NAA in the standard Innuos configuration.

1 hour ago, baconbrain said:

Will HQplayer output to a Roon Bridge Device via ethernet?

No, Roon Bridge is specific to Roon. Just like NAA is specific to HQPlayer.

1 hour ago, baconbrain said:

hmmm, doesn’t quite fit given that the device running Roon Bridge is an Innuos Server (acting as a streamer) and one cannot install NAA in the standard Innuos configuration.

You need to choose something that supports NAA, or just buy a suitable generic hardware to boot up your own.

So far Innuos has never expressed any interest in supporting NAA functionality.

6 hours ago, Miska said:

No, Roon Bridge is specific to Roon. Just like NAA is specific to HQPlayer.

You need to choose something that supports NAA, or just buy a suitable generic hardware to boot up your own.

So far Innuos has never expressed any interest in supporting NAA functionality.

And I was considering to have Roon running on an Innous  and  HQP on a Nuc. Gosh... so it won’t work.

Jensen VRD-iFF>Router>Rj45>opticalModule>
SFP>Buffalo2016>SFP>opticalModule >Rj45>

IZen Mk3>Rj45> Delock62619>Rj45>
etherRegen (Master Clock+ Mini-Circuits BLP)>SFP>opticalRendu>USB>IsoRegen>

USB>Phoenix>USB>OPPO 205 (Modded)>HMS “the Perfect Match”>Proac Tablette Reference 8 Signature.

4 hours ago, rando said:

Bet it could do 512 under liquid Nitrogen with a few industrial speed fans aiding evaporation. 

Hammer it out!  🌡️

I think we're gonna need a "Flux Capacitor" for 512. Maybe a "Tesseract" for 1024!!

Roon Server: Core i7-3770S, WS2012 + AO => HQP Server: Core, i7-9700K, HQPlayer OS => NAA: Celeron NUC, HQP NAA => ISO Regen with UltraCap LPS 1.2 => Mapleshade USB Cable => Lampizator L4 DSD-Only Balanced DAC Preamp => Blue Jeans Belden Balanced Cables => Mivera PurePower SE Amp => Magnepan 3.7i

5 hours ago, baconbrain said:

Well, it kind of depends on how you set it up. You can still run Roon Core on your Innuos and physically output (i.e via USB) through your NUC running HQPlayer ...

Thanks, I missed the point so :-), but probably all the value added SQ from the Innous (jitter related) will be redundant.

Tough decisions... Let's have first the Oppo modded + etherregen.

Best, Jorge

Jensen VRD-iFF>Router>Rj45>opticalModule>
SFP>Buffalo2016>SFP>opticalModule >Rj45>

IZen Mk3>Rj45> Delock62619>Rj45>
etherRegen (Master Clock+ Mini-Circuits BLP)>SFP>opticalRendu>USB>IsoRegen>

USB>Phoenix>USB>OPPO 205 (Modded)>HMS “the Perfect Match”>Proac Tablette Reference 8 Signature.

14 minutes ago, Quadman said:

What GPU do you use for this?  Do you OC your CPU and if so what speeds?  At DSD128 how high are the temps on your CPU vs. DSD256

I don’t OC my CPU and for the past year of so, I had been using a GTX 1050 Ti which was sufficient for the -2s filters, but with the decline of mining and GPU’s are much more reasonably priced, I got a RTX 2080 Super which allows me to use the non -2s variants of the XTR filters.  I’ve not done a lot of testing between DSD128 and DSD256, but I don’t recall much difference in peak temps with the water cooler.  But the fans on the cooler also spin up and down depending on temp so it might be self correcting.

I also think temps are heavily dependent on ambient temps and so there are lots of factors at play here so YMMV.

I love the new ADSM7EC modulator

It’s close to the limit of my CPU, running at 90-93, but very stable, no stutter whatsoever. 

HQ player setup

ADSM7EC

XTR-MP filters

DSD - 128 (maximum my TAD DAC does)

No buffer

Multicore DSP = Ticked

PC setup

Intel i7-7700T (not OC)

Windows Server 2019

Running AO & Fidelizer

No GPU

Prior to EC, I was using ADSM7! my CPU ran at 50-52%, so, overall the EC filter has added 40% additional load on CPU. 

7 hours ago, ASRMichael said:

I love the new ADSM7EC modulator

It’s close to the limit of my CPU, running at 90-93, but very stable, no stutter whatsoever. 

HQ player setup

ADSM7EC

XTR-MP filters

DSD - 128 (maximum my TAD DAC does)

No buffer

Multicore DSP = Ticked

PC setup

Intel i7-7700T (not OC)

Windows Server 2019

Running AO & Fidelizer

No GPU

Prior to EC, I was using ADSM7! my CPU ran at 50-52%, so, overall the EC filter has added 40% additional load on CPU. 

I run the same on my intel i7 but use XTR-MP-2s, which decreases cpu load...may be worth a try if you don't want to keep cpu in the 90's. I am also loving the sound quality of ASDM7EC / xtr-mp-2s.

Desktop: HQ Player --> Singxer SU-1 --> Matrix X-Sabre Pro --> McChanson SuperSilver UltimatE

Headphones: Audeze MM-500, Meze Audio Elite, Focal Utopia 2022, Focal Bathys (Wireless)

Portable Gear: Hiby RS6, xDuoo XD05 Bal 2, FiiO BTR7, Creative BT-W5, FiiTii HiFiDots TWS

Nearfield Active Speakers: Audioengine HD3 

Power Conditioning: Furman Elite-15 PFi

10 hours ago, Yviena said:

I've been going back, and forth between the 512fs modulator using DSD512, and ECASDM7 DSD128, and in my opinion i find the sound to be superior with the EC modulators even at DSD128.

I think it’s very dac dependent , with the t+a dac8  the 512 is so better then both options are good ,  say that after the wow effect is gone 🙂

PC audio /Roon + HQPLAYER / HOLO Spring 2 / / DIY AD1 SET tube amp  /  DIY Altec 2 way horn Speaker