IGNORED

HQ Player

Intel has said all future i3 - i9 will have hyperthreading.  With only just over 100 shopping days until Black Friday who knows what they will actually bring to market in 4th quarter. 

When something does finally come expect to need a new mb though, again.

12 minutes ago, rando said:

who knows what they will actually bring to market in 4th quarter. 

According the various hardware sites it will only be mobile CPU which have a turbo boost to 4.1GHz so not interesting in a HQPlayer context. There might be a higher binned i9-9900K called i9-9900KS which will have a all core turbo bost to 5GHz.

I am using hqplayer with ryzen threadripper 1920x. It works fine most of the time with the most demanding filters (xtr-lp) up sampling  to DSD512.

From some reason I cannot use CUDA offloading properly. I have Nvidia gtx 1060 6GB which should be compatible.

When I turn it on music staggers. I have to use it on partial which indicates convolution only but when playing  a song it displays CUDA offload details which says: upsampler=disabled convolution=disabled. I also don't see any GPU usage in the task manager for hqplayer.

Does anyone experience the same thing? Does anyone know why I cannot offload to GPU?

Not sure if this is the correct place for this question, if not, please help direct this to the right place.

I had a power glitch a day ago, after having everything recovered, I find HQPlayer can no longer recognize NetworkAudioAdapter, where the selection show blank.  I have reboot the NUC multiple times and tried another NUC with same result.  In addition, I also tried loading HQPlayer to another computer, again, same result.

My question is, what could be the cause(s) to this problem?

TIA for any help provided.

53 minutes ago, sbenyo said:

I am using hqplayer with ryzen threadripper 1920x. It works fine most of the time with the most demanding filters (xtr-lp) up sampling  to DSD512.

From some reason I cannot use CUDA offloading properly. I have Nvidia gtx 1060 6GB which should be compatible.

When I turn it on music staggers. I have to use it on partial which indicates convolution only but when playing  a song it displays CUDA offload details which says: upsampler=disabled convolution=disabled. I also don't see any GPU usage in the task manager for hqplayer.

Does anyone experience the same thing? Does anyone know why I cannot offload to GPU?

I have the same card, and had the similar issue until I upgrade to the latest driver.

4 hours ago, sbenyo said:

I agree with @sbenyo that video card driver update is usually the 1st step in troubleshhooting, and may be all that is needed.

I also have a GTX 1060 which works reliably well with HQ Player Desktop 4.01 and my Intel i7-7700 4.2 GHz. I run ASDMEC  / poly-sinc-xtr-mp-2s and average cpu usage is 15-20%, GPU 7-10% which keeps temps nice and cool,. no stutter even when multi-tasking.

Desktop: HQ Player --> Singxer SU-1 --> Matrix X-Sabre Pro --> McChanson SuperSilver UltimatE

Headphones: Audeze MM-500, Meze Audio Elite, Focal Utopia 2022, Focal Bathys (Wireless)

Portable Gear: Hiby RS6, xDuoo XD05 Bal 2, FiiO BTR7, Creative BT-W5, FiiTii HiFiDots TWS

Nearfield Active Speakers: Audioengine HD3 

Power Conditioning: Furman Elite-15 PFi

18 hours ago, StreamFidelity said:

Hyperthreading has advantages in my system (i9-9900K). I can run ASDM7EC smoothly with most filters. The CPU utilization is about half lower than without hyperthreading.The cores speed at 4 GHz is much lower, which has a positive effect in my mostly fanless PC on the temperature. After everything I've read here, the i7-9700K has to run with much higher speed (4.7GHz).

Very interesting! Is that with  PCM192kHz to DSD256 with ext2 and ASDM7EC ?

Can anyone else running i9-9900K confirm cores are running at ~4.0 GHz?

With  PCM192kHz to DSD256 with ext2 and ASDM7EC

@Ales Prochazka @JTS

7 hours ago, sbenyo said:

Do you use Windows or Ubuntu? In my case CUDA offload( diffrent graphic cards)  dont work with old  nvidia drivers, try install latest drivers.

3 hours ago, asdf1000 said:

Very interesting! Is that with  PCM192kHz to DSD256 with ext2 and ASDM7EC ?

Can anyone else running i9-9900K confirm cores are running at ~4.0 GHz?

With  PCM192kHz to DSD256 with ext2 and ASDM7EC

@Ales Prochazka @JTS

With setting PL1 120W and PL2 160W, poly-sinc-xtr-mp filter and convolution on, the cores run most of the time at ~ 4.7GHz (352.8 ---> DSD256).

Developer of HQPDcontrol.

2 minutes ago, Ales Prochazka said:

With setting PL1 120W and PL2 160W, poly-sinc-xtr-mp filter and convolution on, the cores run most of the time at ~ 4.7GHz (352.8 ---> DSD256).

That is non-2s right?

So poly-sinc-xtr-mp will be more CPU intensive than ext2?

Thanks for all recommendations about the GPU. I have the latest driver (from 23/7/2019).

I still don't see any GPU usage on hqplayer process. I look in task manager on the GPU columns. 🤨

Not sure what else to do or try. It is frustrating as I am sure it should work better if GPU could be used.

Other issue which is probably related, is the CPU usage. I just moved from 3.25 with xtr to hqplayer 4.1 and using poly-sinc-xtr-lp. As far as I know this should be the same filter. CPU usage with hqplayer 4 is now between 50-99%. With hqplayer 3 it was stable around 40%. I wonder why there should be such a difference...

On 8/19/2019 at 2:27 AM, sbenyo said:

4 hours ago, sbenyo said:

I still don't see any GPU usage on hqplayer process. I look in task manager on the GPU columns.

If you have enabled GPU only for convolution, are you doing any convolution with convolution engine or pipeline matrix?

Signalyst - Developer of HQPlayer

Pulse & Fidelity - Software Defined Amplifiers

6 hours ago, Miska said:

If you have enabled GPU only for convolution, are you doing any convolution with convolution engine or pipeline matrix?

Not sure about it. I am just using hqplayer with simple xtr-lp filter to convert to DSD512. I don't use anything else.

1 hour ago, Lukasluis said:

Is the upgrade discount still applicable to existing version 3 licensee? I could not seem to figure out how to apply the discount code at the checkout. I'm looking at purchasing a license for HQPe. 

It may be that the discount is only applicable when upgrading from Desktop V3 to Desktop V4.

Roon Server: Core i7-3770S, WS2012 + AO => HQP Server: Core, i7-9700K, HQPlayer OS => NAA: Celeron NUC, HQP NAA => ISO Regen with UltraCap LPS 1.2 => Mapleshade USB Cable => Lampizator L4 DSD-Only Balanced DAC Preamp => Blue Jeans Belden Balanced Cables => Mivera PurePower SE Amp => Magnepan 3.7i

Been testing a little with core affinities, and yeah with my 3700x, unticking SMT threads, letting hqplayer only have 4 real threads which is enough for ASDM7EC DSD256 with 96khz rates, consistently reduces cpu usage of HQplayer from 26-28% to 17-19%, @Miska

is there any reason why the cpu overhead is so large when more cores/threads are selected, or is it just not optimized enough?

8 hours ago, Lukasluis said:

Is the upgrade discount still applicable to existing version 3 licensee? I could not seem to figure out how to apply the discount code at the checkout. I'm looking at purchasing a license for HQPe. 

Coupon code works only for the same product, so Desktop v3 upgrade discount coupon code works for Desktop v4. Embedded is a different product and the upgrade discount is not applicable cross-product.

Signalyst - Developer of HQPlayer

Pulse & Fidelity - Software Defined Amplifiers

30 minutes ago, Miska said:

Coupon code works only for the same product, so Desktop v3 upgrade discount coupon code works for Desktop v4. Embedded is a different product and the upgrade discount is not applicable cross-product.

Somewhat related.

If I buy an embedded license, can I use that license for desktop?

I'm planning to use embedded, but may decide later to use desktop.

I think I read somewhere if I buy a license, and I'm the only one who ever uses the license (so it would never be used on two machines at the same time), then I can use it on different machines and use either desktop or embedded, but I didn't see anything on your website about it.

Thanks

Randy