IGNORED

HQ Player

36 minutes ago, randytsuch said:

If I buy an embedded license, can I use that license for desktop?

No, the two need separate licenses.

37 minutes ago, randytsuch said:

I think I read somewhere if I buy a license, and I'm the only one who ever uses the license (so it would never be used on two machines at the same time), then I can use it on different machines and use either desktop or embedded, but I didn't see anything on your website about it.

Desktop yes, Embedded no...

Signalyst - Developer of HQPlayer

Pulse & Fidelity - Software Defined Amplifiers

@Miska I'm using HQPlayer 4.1.0.1 with a MicroRendu connected via USB to a Denafrips Terminator. When I try to play native DSD or upsampled PCM to DSD, it switches to PCM. If I go through a Singxer SU-1 to I2S on the Terminator, DSD works fine. The USB on the new Terminator DSP sounds better than I2S so I was hoping to be able to get USB to play DSD directly. Anything that I should check on the setup?

Thanks,

-Ted

5 hours ago, tedevang said:

@Miska I'm using HQPlayer 4.1.0.1 with a MicroRendu connected via USB to a Denafrips Terminator. When I try to play native DSD or upsampled PCM to DSD, it switches to PCM. If I go through a Singxer SU-1 to I2S on the Terminator, DSD works fine. The USB on the new Terminator DSP sounds better than I2S so I was hoping to be able to get USB to play DSD directly. Anything that I should check on the setup?

Maybe the kernel in microRendu is not new enough to have the autodetection code. Or it needs some kernel work to get it enabled.

If you have a spare PC that you can boot temporarily from USB memory stick to my NAA image you could check if that works. It would indicate if the necessary work is already done or if something more is needed.

After re-arming the WS2016 on my control pc and rebooting, somehow HQPlayer can't find the NAA no more. On the "backend" Network AudioAdapter is selected, however the dropdown box of "device" in the option menu remains empty. Normally this will display "default:Combo384" (I use a Lampizator Golden Gate). 

The connection between the control pc (with dual ethernet ports) is hardwired, directly to the ethernet input of the NAA.

How could I check wether the connection is okay or not? Thanks in advance!

Mobile: iPhone 6s 128Gb > Chord Hugo > Shure 846

Stereo: PPA dual streamer setup with JPlay and AO > Lampizator Golden Gate SE > Classe Omega Preamp MKII > 2xNord On UP NC500DM > Linkwitz LX521

15 hours ago, Miska said:

Maybe the kernel in microRendu is not new enough to have the autodetection code. Or it needs some kernel work to get it enabled.

If you have a spare PC that you can boot temporarily from USB memory stick to my NAA image you could check if that works. It would indicate if the necessary work is already done or if something more is needed.

@Miska Where can I get your NAA image? BTW, the latest Audirvana does upsample DSD fine in the same scenario (microrendu to Denafrips Terminator with new DSP card via USB)

28 minutes ago, tedevang said:

@Miska Where can I get your NAA image? BTW, the latest Audirvana does upsample DSD fine in the same scenario (microrendu to Denafrips Terminator with new DSP card via USB)

You can also enable DoP from HQPlayer if you want to do it that way. Native DSD support is not related to Audirvana or HQPlayer, but to the kernel drivers in microRendu which are common for all cases.

Go to end of the page here to find NAA downloads:

https://www.signalyst.com/consumer.html

1 hour ago, RubenV said:

After re-arming the WS2016 on my control pc and rebooting, somehow HQPlayer can't find the NAA no more. On the "backend" Network AudioAdapter is selected, however the dropdown box of "device" in the option menu remains empty. Normally this will display "default:Combo384" (I use a Lampizator Golden Gate). 

The connection between the control pc (with dual ethernet ports) is hardwired, directly to the ethernet input of the NAA.

How could I check wether the connection is okay or not? Thanks in advance!

This is normal problem with such non-recommended network configurations. You either need to bridge the two network interfaces (IOW, turn your computer into a very basic switch), or alternatively make sure multicasts are routed to the interface where NAA is.

2 hours ago, Miska said:

This is normal problem with such non-recommended network configurations. You either need to bridge the two network interfaces (IOW, turn your computer into a very basic switch), or alternatively make sure multicasts are routed to the interface where NAA is.

Hi Miska, 

Thanks for your reply. Both ethernet controllers that I use for in between the control and audio pc have their own IP-range and subnet mask, and I can ping between both machines without the loss of packages. How can I check if the multicasts are routed to the NAA? Or is there something else I could try?

Mobile: iPhone 6s 128Gb > Chord Hugo > Shure 846

Stereo: PPA dual streamer setup with JPlay and AO > Lampizator Golden Gate SE > Classe Omega Preamp MKII > 2xNord On UP NC500DM > Linkwitz LX521

If I am going from PCM to DSD are the PCM filters used?  That is, does it first upsample to 384 PCM and then to DSD or are the PCM filters ignored?

Speakers: Vandersteen Model 7s, 4 M&K ST-150Ts, 1 VCC-5; Amplification: 2 Vandersteen M7-HPAs, CI Audio D200 MKII, Ayre V-6xe; Preamp: Doshi Audio Line Stage v3.0; Phono Pre: Doshi Audio Phono Pre; Analog: Wave Kinetics NVS with Durand Telos composite arm; SME 3012R arm, Clearaudio Goldfinger Statement v2; Reel to Reel:  Technics RS-1500; Doshi Tape Pre-Amp; Studer A810, Studer A812, Tascam BR-20; Multi-channel: Bryston SP-3; Digital: Custom PC (Sean Jacobs DC4/Euphony/Stylus)> Lampizator Pacific

2 hours ago, dminches said:

If I am going from PCM to DSD are the PCM filters used?  That is, does it first upsample to 384 PCM and then to DSD or are the PCM filters ignored?

No, the settings are related to output mode. So just the things listed under SDM are used. Likewise for PCM outputs, the things under PCM are used.

Then there are some additional settings in "DSD Sources" that cover both SDM and PCM output cases when source is DSD.

I"m going from Roon > HQPlayer 4 and if I upsample Redbook audio or 88.2/24 to DSD it plays fine. When I try to upsample a high res 96/24 or 192/24 PCM file to DSD it doesn't play. What would be the proper settings to be able to play those PCM files, and alternately is it possible to choose to upsample only redbook audio to DSD and keep high res 96/24 or 192/24 as PCM?

17 minutes ago, tedevang said:

I"m going from Roon > HQPlayer 4 and if I upsample Redbook audio or 88.2/24 to DSD it plays fine. When I try to upsample a high res 96/24 or 192/24 PCM file to DSD it doesn't play. What would be the proper settings to be able to play those PCM files, and alternately is it possible to choose to upsample only redbook audio to DSD and keep high res 96/24 or 192/24 as PCM?

Does the hardware support DSD at 48k-base rates? Assuming not...

No such option, but for example use poly-sinc-ext2 or any of the -2s filter variants. But do not enable adaptive output rate (former auto rate family). And then set default rate / limit to 44.1k x256. This way everything is converted to 44.1k x256.

Excuse me if I've missed this, but I don't read every post in this very long thread.
Miska, you've published graphs showing the improvement in distortion when using your filters and upsampling as opposed to those internal to DACs: but AFAIR, these are always for DSD output. 

Are there similar graphs for PCM output?

Main listening (small home office):

Main setup: Surge protector +>Isol-8 Mini sub Axis Power Strip/Isolation>QuietPC Low Noise Server>Roon (Audiolense DRC)>Stack Audio Link II>Kii Control>Kii Three (on their own electric circuit) >GIK Room Treatments.

Secondary Path: Server with Audiolense RC>RPi4 or analog>Cayin iDAC6 MKII (tube mode) (XLR)>Kii Three .

Bedroom: SBTouch to Cambridge Soundworks Desktop Setup.
Living Room/Kitchen: Ropieee (RPi3b+ with touchscreen) + Schiit Modi3E to a pair of Morel Hogtalare. 

All absolute statements about audio are false :)

13 minutes ago, firedog said:

Excuse me if I've missed this, but I don't read every post in this very long thread.
Miska, you've published graphs showing the improvement in distortion when using your filters and upsampling as opposed to those internal to DACs: but AFAIR, these are always for DSD output. 

Are there similar graphs for PCM output?

There are some plots in various DAC related threads (Holo Spring, Pro-Ject, RME etc). And some in my blog here. Not much on this thread.

Help Please! Originally was running HQP 4 on my 2012 Mac Mini along with Roon Server. Playing to a Optical Module and OpticalRendu and a Bryston BDA-3 Dac.

I decided to try and separate Roon and HQP so I could possibly take advantage of EC Modulators.

so I installed HQP on my Mac Pro, it is the most recent version 3.5 ghz 6 core.

HQP sees my ORendu/Dac but Roon does not play to HQP, I have the IP address of my Mac Pro in the Roon Settings for HQP. Not sure I have client set up correctly, it only shows local host as a option it does not show the Mac Pro.

Thanks in advance for the assistance.

Happy Labor Day Weekend to all!

Mike

9 minutes ago, BCRich said:

Help Please! Originally was running HQP 4 on my 2012 Mac Mini along with Roon Server. Playing to a Optical Module and OpticalRendu and a Bryston BDA-3 Dac.

I decided to try and separate Roon and HQP so I could possibly take advantage of EC Modulators.

so I installed HQP on my Mac Pro, it is the most recent version 3.5 ghz 6 core.

HQP sees my ORendu/Dac but Roon does not play to HQP, I have the IP address of my Mac Pro in the Roon Settings for HQP. Not sure I have client set up correctly, it only shows local host as a option it does not show the Mac Pro.

Thanks in advance for the assistance.

Happy Labor Day Weekend to all!

Mike

Did you click the network access button on the HQPlayer interface?

Silly question since I have no money to spend anyway :

What would be the smartest spending of 6K €$?

Keep a computer at hand, already owned and send whatever we can to a Playback Designs Merlot* ?

Buy/build a 3K computer and send ext2/ASDM7EC/256 (seems reachable from what I read) to a T+A DSD8* ?

* chosen at the intersection of Stereophile A+ and Miska's perceived respect and/or recommendation

BTW while I'm silly, 2 tips to raise SQ but also CPU usage :

CIC as SDM integrator and Save as convolution engine otion.

With my 2012 machine I can do ext2/DSD5EC/128 full convolution up to 88.2, have to pick xtr2s or pshort 2S for 96 and pshort 2S or mqa mp with 192

no DSD source with EC though. Can get a few minutes with IIR/add instead of CIC/Save...

On 9/1/2019 at 6:33 AM, BCRich said:

Not so well, too much stuttering with the EC Modulators. The Pro is by no means optimized for Audio, I figured the Processing power would be enough. Could be Network related but my Mac Mini is routed through the same switch and I am listening to Larry Carlton through the Mini with these settings....

Check out this thread below for an idea of what's required to successfully run EC modulators at DSD256.

It needs CPU running at over 4 GHz....

https://audiophilestyle.com/forums/topic/56966-hqplayer4-ec-modulator-tips-and-techniques/

Even the up-coming new Mac Pro 8-core may struggle... Turbo Boost is max 4 GHz.

€6K 

Unless Juusi proves capable of exacting untold vistas of beauty from the single question mark AMD chip.  Putting together (+)6 core Intel machine for a few hundred 💶 sets one piece of doing 2 channel EC DSD128 (or the now simply pedestrian non-EC higher rates) with any filter, in place.  ;)

I personally would examine where needs are best expressed elsewhere after removing what appears to be a major weak point for HQP4 usage.  Unless something impossible to ignore shakes loose on the top end processor front.