IGNORED

HQ Player

2 minutes ago, Yviena said:

@Miska Does the options in the DSDIFF/DSF integrator/filter etc affect PCM to DSD upsampling or is that only for DSD to PCM ?

All other settings except Direct SDM affect only DSD sources. And Direct SDM only by setting fixed volume for PCM as well for DSD ouputs.

Signalyst - Developer of HQPlayer

Pulse & Fidelity - Software Defined Amplifiers

No error messages or anything when such happens?

Log file is also useful for such cases to check couple of last lines after such has happened.

i have this error message in roon   " roon has lost his output player" 🤒

sorry for the dumb question but where can i find the log files in windows 10 ?

PC audio /Roon + HQPLAYER / HOLO Spring 2 / / DIY AD1 SET tube amp  /  DIY Altec 2 way horn Speaker

I'm planning to upgrade to HQP 4 from version 3.xx. However, I use Windows Server 2016 and planning to move to WS 2019. Is anyone having compatibility issues when it comes to HQPlayer 4 on WS 2016/2019? My current version HQPlayer 3.xx runs fine on WS 2016.

@Miska I've been trying to get coupon code but getting std::exception due to having old key file. I've reached out to you through email and PM here. It's probably buried between many other messages you've been getting. Please let me know how to get a coupon code for users who have old key file.

Regarding WASAPI inputs, including ones from loopback devices, I just realized couple of things that affect the functionality and produce exactly types of errors logs here have shown... This however doesn't concern ASIO inputs as Windows doesn't know about those.

1. Similar to macOS, one needs allow use of audio inputs. Open Settings, and then go to Privacy -> Microphone and check that the switch "Allow apps to access microphone" switch is turned on. This concerns also all other audio inputs, not just microphones.
  2. HQPlayer window must have focus (topmost, and screensaver not active), otherwise OS doesn't allow access to audio inputs anyway. Meaning that playback cannot be started from WASAPI input using Client on the same machine.

The reason was more clear after I implemented shared mode input support, because then it says "Access denied" instead of obscure error that format cannot be set with Exclusive mode. I can totally understand why these privacy limitations exist in the OS, but one does need to know about these or otherwise it will be really confusing...

Behavior is different from macOS, where OS does allow starting playback and everything, but just provides silence as input unless HQPlayer is explicitly allowed to access "Microphone".

19 minutes ago, Miska said:

Regarding WASAPI inputs, including ones from loopback devices, I just realized couple of things that affect the functionality and produce exactly types of errors logs here have shown... This however doesn't concern ASIO inputs as Windows doesn't know about those.

1. Similar to macOS, one needs allow use of audio inputs. Open Settings, and then go to Privacy -> Microphone and check that the switch "Allow apps to access microphone" switch is turned on. This concerns also all other audio inputs, not just microphones.
  2. HQPlayer window must have focus (topmost, and screensaver not active), otherwise OS doesn't allow access to audio inputs anyway. Meaning that playback cannot be started from WASAPI input using Client on the same machine.

The reason was more clear after I implemented shared mode input support, because then it says "Access denied" instead of obscure error that format cannot be set with Exclusive mode. I can totally understand why these privacy limitations exist in the OS, but one does need to know about these or otherwise it will be really confusing...

Behavior is different from macOS, where OS does allow starting playback and everything, but just provides silence as input unless HQPlayer is explicitly allowed to access "Microphone".

How I could allow HQPlayer to access "Microphone"? This is what I see in Privacy setting:

1713663149_ScreenShot2019-05-07at10_30_30AM.png.a18b81dba3899844b15de75e6ade07b9.png

2 hours ago, AnotherSpin said:

How I could allow HQPlayer to access "Microphone"? This is what I see in Privacy setting:

1713663149_ScreenShot2019-05-07at10_30_30AM.png.a18b81dba3899844b15de75e6ade07b9.png

I don't have a clear memory how I did it right now, maybe the application needs to be running and trying to use microphone or something. Or maybe macOS asked the first time...

I think the trick was on first time select Mac's built-in microphone as input device and then select that as input (select for example "audio:default/44100/2" from the drop list and hit enter, it should appear on the playlist, then hit play to start processing. Now macOS may ask you, or at least it should appear on that list. Once permitted the access, you can switch to other inputs as well.

Took me quite a while to figure out why I was getting just silence from my RME ADI-2 Pro input... :D I was hunting for a bug in the code for long time until I figured this out.

29 minutes ago, Miska said:

I don't have a clear memory how I did it right now, maybe the application needs to be running and trying to use microphone or something. Or maybe macOS asked the first time...

I think the trick was on first time select Mac's built-in microphone as input device and then select that as input (select for example "audio:default/44100/2" from the drop list and hit enter, it should appear on the playlist, then hit play to start processing. Now macOS may ask you, or at least it should appear on that list. Once permitted the access, you can switch to other inputs as well.

Took me quite a while to figure out why I was getting just silence from my RME ADI-2 Pro input... :D I was hunting for a bug in the code for long time until I figured this out.

Is there a built-in mic in mac mini?)

6 hours ago, Miska said:

I have the settings allowing access to audio inputs. But I cannot get the "Virtual Audio Cable" (loopback device) to work with HQP 4.

Settings:

image.png.8b0a568ac76978ff1684d60e984e0b7d.png

image.png.9f1714891bfd021c867ec712ea375259.png

image.png.f002d403617ab70244a9a1f075113f61.png

image.png.ae5bd6fdb45f7ee38cf2bf3f58fd1347.png

mQa is dead!

@Miska

Hello,

If it is not too much trouble. Could you provide me a link for version 3.24.0 of HQPlayer Desktop for Linux 16.04?

The latest 3.25.3 is not automatically supported by ubuntu 16.04 and for personal reason I cannot upgrade it  to ubuntu 18 or install latest dependency for 3.25.3 .

Could you help me out?

Thank you

@Miska I cannot get DSD mode to work in Desktop 4/Client 4.  I set the default output mode to SSM (DSD) per Screen 2 below.  In the client, the default comes up as  PCM (Screen 3).  When I try to change PCM to SDM, HQPlayer crashes.  What am I doing wrong?

Screen 1

image.png.ebdd7bae77f45ef3852c148bc9ae4bc2.png

Screen 2

image.png.95c431126ff771bc95302c7bd025684e.png

Screen 3

image.png.2f903711bd52a38d36d71a3ebe6349f5.png

mQa is dead!

Does anyone know what better frequency domain in filters actually do, I know that better time domain performance results in better soundstage/room ambience.in my case, but unsure exactly what the other does, is it timbre/tonality of instruments?

If it is then it confirms my finding that poly-sinc-shrt has somewhat better soundstage, but things like drums sounds more like drums using poly-sinc or poly-sinc-shrt.

14 minutes ago, Le Concombre Masqué said:

just use desktop ; client is not mandatory

In my case the 4x desktop client doesn't work, the m3u8 playlists gets imported to the library but it doesn't show up in the desktop client,could be the same issue for him/others too.

2 hours ago, Le Concombre Masqué said:

just use desktop ; client is not mandatory

Not satisfactory for those of use who want size full album art and filter / shaper / settings displayed on playback screen. I am using client to achieve that on same machine as server, not a big issue for me but per above others find it annoying.

Desktop: HQ Player --> Singxer SU-1 --> Matrix X-Sabre Pro --> McChanson SuperSilver UltimatE

Headphones: Audeze MM-500, Meze Audio Elite, Focal Utopia 2022, Focal Bathys (Wireless)

Portable Gear: Hiby RS6, xDuoo XD05 Bal 2, FiiO BTR7, Creative BT-W5, FiiTii HiFiDots TWS

Nearfield Active Speakers: Audioengine HD3 

Power Conditioning: Furman Elite-15 PFi

7 hours ago, lucretius said:

@Miska  Is there any chance of combining HQPlayer Desktop and Client into one application (as an option for those who prefer it)?  I find using both applications together annoying. Thanks.

One of the points of 4.x was to split those separate... 😅 Since lot of people were telling me that my GUIs for HQPlayer were ugly and were using something else. And rest were asking for remote controllable things one way or the other.

What you are asking is 3.x...

8 hours ago, lucretius said:

I have the settings allowing access to audio inputs. But I cannot get the "Virtual Audio Cable" (loopback device) to work with HQP 4.

Do you have it selected as input device in HQPlayer?

Anyway, please try now with 4.0.2 if it helps anything...

7 hours ago, lucretius said:

@Miska I cannot get DSD mode to work in Desktop 4/Client 4.  I set the default output mode to SSM (DSD) per Screen 2 below.  In the client, the default comes up as  PCM (Screen 3).  When I try to change PCM to SDM, HQPlayer crashes.  What am I doing wrong?

In this screenshots you already have it set to SDM, but client is just showing bogus things because it is not properly in sync with HQPlayer. I have fixed this too in 4.0.2.

(just in case everybody doesn't re-read the manual...) One of the usability improvements I added in 4.0.2 to the Client, are keyboard hotkeys to switch between the three views. Number keys 1, 2, 3 switch between the three views, so it is quicker to navigate around when combined with mouse.

5 hours ago, Yviena said:

Does anyone know what better frequency domain in filters actually do, I know that better time domain performance results in better soundstage/room ambience.in my case, but unsure exactly what the other does, is it timbre/tonality of instruments?

If it is then it confirms my finding that poly-sinc-shrt has somewhat better soundstage, but things like drums sounds more like drums using poly-sinc or poly-sinc-shrt.

Better frequency domain performance means less aliasing and imaging, which in turn means less harmonic and intermodulation distortion.

But I doubt that any of Miska's filters have bad performance in those respects.

One never knows, do one? - Fats Waller

The fairest thing we can experience is the mysterious. It is the fundamental emotion which stands at the cradle of true art and true science. - Einstein

Computer, Audirvana -> optical Ethernet to Fitlet3 -> Fibbr Alpha Optical USB -> iFi NEO iDSD DAC -> Apollon Audio 1ET400A Mini (Purifi based) -> Vandersteen 3A Signature.