IGNORED

HQ Player

5 hours ago, Hammer said:

Hi, I tried adding the key KeepAliveTime to the registry and it does not fix the problem...any other thoughts?  HQPlayer 3 works on the same system!

You can't externally do anything about it. It is just some yet another Windows braindeadness...

On my Win 10 Pro's it works fine. And I'm not sure why some systems are having issue with this...

Signalyst - Developer of HQPlayer

Pulse & Fidelity - Software Defined Amplifiers

2 hours ago, craighartley said:

Thanks. I’d missed that in the manual and seeing it in the dialogue I had assumed it was for DSD to PCM conversion and had ignored it as I only output DSD.

I’d assumed the same for the Integrator: can someone please tell me how I can inform my choice of Integrator? Does it depend on the source material? (I’m processing mainly highres files to DSD 512 into the T&A DAC8).

I claimed my love of the CIC integrator in my sig for a while ; I reverted to default (IIR) these days. Please report if you try. You can also try to change the convolution engine (save vs add) : filters are not the only parameters

1 hour ago, Miska said:

You can't externally do anything about it. It is just some yet another Windows braindeadness...

On my Win 10 Pro's it works fine. And I'm not sure why some systems are having issue with this...

Thank you...will there be a workaround for this issue in the next version of HPQ 4?  Was there a redesign in HPQ 4 that brings out this issue with Windows since HPQ 3 works?  Looking at the Roon forums, others are having the same issue.

27 minutes ago, Hammer said:

Thank you...will there be a workaround for this issue in the next version of HPQ 4?  Was there a redesign in HPQ 4 that brings out this issue with Windows since HPQ 3 works?  Looking at the Roon forums, others are having the same issue.

At least I have made the error non-fatal, so it'll complain to the log file, but won't stop the operation proceeding.

It is related to the redesign in 4 and that 3 didn't use these options in first place. Point of the that feature is to avoid consuming system resources when client has silently disappeared...

2 hours ago, Miska said:

Strange... It's more than 1 week we have this thread filled by so many problems on Mac platform, with OSes not allowing roon connections, Hqp4 not even starting, incompatibilities, hardware not working properly, communication failures, etc... Many of them solved after many attempts, logs, others never solved at all. But nobody ever said there's something bad about Mac OS itself.

Problems with Linux too, i see - still no trace of blame to Linux.

Now, for a couple of Windows user who notified some problems and after a single failed attempt, we are talking about Windows braindeadness? Is this a sort of prejudice? 😉

Anyway, i'm using W10 and no problem at all, everything working like a charm from first installation, including roon support. Never had a single problem with all audio softwares i tried, like LMS, BHE, Hysolid, Roon, HQP, most using external control and separate player (squeezelite/Roon bridge/NAA). Very good old Windows! 👍

Thank you Miska for your work, Hqp is really an exceptional player, best of all

28 minutes ago, Luca72c said:

Strange... It's more than 1 week we have this thread filled by so many problems on Mac platform, with OSes not allowing roon connections, Hqp4 not even starting, incompatibilities, hardware not working properly, communication failures, etc... Many of them solved after many attempts, logs, others never solved at all. But nobody ever said there's something bad about Mac OS itself.

Problems with Linux too, i see - still no trace of blame to Linux.

Now, for a couple of Windows user who notified some problems and after a single failed attempt, we are talking about Windows braindeadness? Is this a sort of prejudice? 😉

Anyway, i'm using W10 and no problem at all, everything working like a charm from first installation, including roon support. Never had a single problem with all audio softwares i tried, like LMS, BHE, Hysolid, Roon, HQP, most using external control and separate player (squeezelite/Roon bridge/NAA). Very good old Windows! 👍

Thank you Miska for your work, Hqp is really an exceptional player, best of all

Windows is indeed  a particularly peculiar platform compared to macOS or Linux which are both IEEE Std 1003.1 compliant to notable extent, while Windows is not. So it is quite a bit of extra effort to deal with a totally different OS model. But I'm quite familiar with it, having been working on Windows software since mid-90's. But I do have to note that there has been quite some pain and suffering with Windows 10, for example breaking the license key system on HQPlayer 3.x (that was a third party component where the third party went extinct and then Microsoft broke that stuff with an OS update). Hardware support wise, Windows is among the best though. Pretty much any possible audio hardware is supported at least on Windows with all features (through Steinberg's ASIO driver framework).

All platforms have their peculiarities. Linux is most standard compliant though, and when something doesn't work, one can look inside the OS at any level to the full extent, so it is also easier to debug. But Linux is also the most diverse platform where there are lot of totally different kinds of variants. So nothing is guaranteed to work across the different variants.

On Windows, HQPlayer 4 Desktop is officially supported and tested only on 64-bit Windows 10. But when people try to use it on something else and I know how to deal/work around a problem, I can do it still. On Windows, people also use all kinds of "system optimizers" that create lot of extra trouble by disabling operating system services that are by default enabled and suddenly don't work anymore. Server versions also seem to share part of the trouble (network QoS functionality being an example).

Regardless of OS, it is just hard to deal with situation when expected functionality is suddenly magically missing. This seems to happen the least on macOS though.

P.S. Lot of logs has been sent, analyzed, etc for Windows too and hotfix was created to deal with some of the issues that included both macOS and Windows (but not Linux).

1 hour ago, Miska said:

At least I have made the error non-fatal, so it'll complain to the log file, but won't stop the operation proceeding.

It is related to the redesign in 4 and that 3 didn't use these options in first place. Point of the that feature is to avoid consuming system resources when client has silently disappeared...

Thanks...not sure I understand.  I see the error in the log, but the “operation” is not “proceeding” as it does not play!  :)

2 hours ago, Le Concombre Masqué said:

I claimed my love of the CIC integrator in my sig for a while ; I reverted to default (IIR) these days. Please report if you try. You can also try to change the convolution engine (save vs add) : filters are not the only parameters

Thanks. I haven’t played with convolution yet. 

2 minutes ago, Hammer said:

Thanks...not sure I understand.  I see the error in the log, but the “operation” is not “proceeding” as it does not play!  :)

Yes, because it now kicks out the client when setting the socket option fails for some unknown reason... It is still mystery to me why you are seeing that error and I'm not. For next release I've changed it to just complain and continue regardless. Similar to the dealing with lack of QoS support lot of people seem to have due to missing OS component in Windows Server installs (not installed by default), or because certain optimizers decide to throw it away.

On 5/3/2019 at 6:16 PM, bibo01 said:

@Miska I have a little problem with v4. In both Linux and Windows 7. When I open Settings, the menu is too long for the screen and I cannot scroll down.

Perhaps its a question of libraries, but at least in Linux when I installed it, v4 also installed its libraries dependencies.

Any idea about this?

6 hours ago, Miska said:

Windows is indeed  a particularly peculiar platform compared to macOS or Linux which are both IEEE Std 1003.1 compliant to notable extent, while Windows is not. So it is quite a bit of extra effort to deal with a totally different OS model. But I'm quite familiar with it, having been working on Windows software since mid-90's. But I do have to note that there has been quite some pain and suffering with Windows 10, for example breaking the license key system on HQPlayer 3.x (that was a third party component where the third party went extinct and then Microsoft broke that stuff with an OS update). Hardware support wise, Windows is among the best though. Pretty much any possible audio hardware is supported at least on Windows with all features (through Steinberg's ASIO driver framework).

All platforms have their peculiarities. Linux is most standard compliant though, and when something doesn't work, one can look inside the OS at any level to the full extent, so it is also easier to debug. But Linux is also the most diverse platform where there are lot of totally different kinds of variants. So nothing is guaranteed to work across the different variants.

On Windows, HQPlayer 4 Desktop is officially supported and tested only on 64-bit Windows 10. But when people try to use it on something else and I know how to deal/work around a problem, I can do it still. On Windows, people also use all kinds of "system optimizers" that create lot of extra trouble by disabling operating system services that are by default enabled and suddenly don't work anymore. Server versions also seem to share part of the trouble (network QoS functionality being an example).

Regardless of OS, it is just hard to deal with situation when expected functionality is suddenly magically missing. This seems to happen the least on macOS though.

P.S. Lot of logs has been sent, analyzed, etc for Windows too and hotfix was created to deal with some of the issues that included both macOS and Windows (but not Linux).

As a longtime Windows user,  I am grateful for Miska's efforts to minimize glitches with HQ Player 4 Desktop and Windows 10 64-bit. After getting adjusted to the new server - client architecture despite running on a single desktop machine, I am now happily listening to Bach's Well-Tempered Clavier in 24 / 96 FLAC output to DSD256, CUDA offload to my GeForce keeping CPU utilization manageable, and the cares of the day are melting away. Good to remember that ultimately it's about the power of music. I know of no software that bring me closer to that than HQ Player.

Desktop: HQ Player --> Singxer SU-1 --> Matrix X-Sabre Pro --> McChanson SuperSilver UltimatE

Headphones: Audeze MM-500, Meze Audio Elite, Focal Utopia 2022, Focal Bathys (Wireless)

Portable Gear: Hiby RS6, xDuoo XD05 Bal 2, FiiO BTR7, Creative BT-W5, FiiTii HiFiDots TWS

Nearfield Active Speakers: Audioengine HD3 

Power Conditioning: Furman Elite-15 PFi

On 5/1/2019 at 10:28 PM, Miska said:

It is source_channel -> mix_channel  gain_in_db/linear_gain

So in this case 0 dBFS / 1.0

In this case, HQPlayer doesn't get any available formats for output, but it gets some for inputs. I don't know why that happens, I need to find a device that behaves similarly.

For some reason it gets formats for inputs, but not for outputs, and the ones it gets are all stereo. You can see that the "CoreAudio output virtual formats" list is empty while the corresponding list for inputs has bunch of stereo formats.

Hi Miska,

can i hope on a solution? Do you  have maybe any debug version to find the probem?

Greetings

Christian

8 hours ago, Miska said:

tHE one thing that does not work with WS 2012 is drag and drop (my music is on a wifi accessible hard drive and I access it through "Browse" just fine)   ; should I implement network QoS functionality? I haven't bothered using Client in my single machine configuration ; should I?

1 hour ago, chriss0212 said:

can i hope on a solution? Do you  have maybe any debug version to find the probem?

I have made some changes for 4.0.2, let's see if it helps. I have not yet found an interface here that would have this problem. Only Firewire interface I have is Mytek Stereo192-DSD DAC which has TCAT Dice Firewire audio interface and it allows four channels as expected for dual-wire DoP (the interface itself has 16 input and output channels). But based on behavior looks like Prism is not using this interface chip/driver...

1 minute ago, Miska said:

I have made some changes for 4.0.2, let's see if it helps. I have not yet found an interface here that would have this problem. Only Firewire interface I have is Mytek Stereo192-DSD DAC which has TCAT Dice Firewire audio interface and it allows four channels as expected for dual-wire DoP (the interface itself has 16 input and output channels). But based on behavior looks like Prism is not using this interface chip/driver...

OK.. Thank you!

Don't know, if this info helps, but HQP4 is working on Windows10 with the PrismSound Orpheus.

Last time i just mixed up input and output. hat's why it was not working on windows.

Greetings

Christian

16 minutes ago, Le Concombre Masqué said:

tHE one thing that does not work with WS 2012 is drag and drop (my music is on a wifi accessible hard drive and I access it through "Browse" just fine)   ; should I implement network QoS functionality? I haven't bothered using Client in my single machine configuration ; should I?

I don't know why DnD is not working... If you get HQPlayer started up without error about qwave.dll you at least have part of the QoS and if HQPlayer doesn't complain about that functionality failing in the log file you should be fine.

Use of Client is not related to whether being on single computer, or multiple computer setup, it depends more if you would like to use HQPlayer's library features with it...

2 hours ago, Miska said:

I don't know why DnD is not working... If you get HQPlayer started up without error about qwave.dll you at least have part of the QoS and if HQPlayer doesn't complain about that functionality failing in the log file you should be fine.

Use of Client is not related to whether being on single computer, or multiple computer setup, it depends more if you would like to use HQPlayer's library features with it...

I need to be more specific : I run WS 2012 as minimum server and if I reopen Task Manager>Run new task>search and thus open a navigation window THEN I can DnD from that window into 4 provided it's shrunk enough to leave real estate for the navigation window. Of course I have another simpler route with 3, all inside HQP : File Library Scan and from the window opened by this scan I can DnD into HQP3. This is what is broken in 4 as far as DnD is concerned.

Anyway I'm sorry to say I don't like (comparatively and as the type of maniac known as audiophile) the aesthetics you have achieved with 4. I wish I knew/you tell how a player can reveal minute details of a voice singled in a studio and loose the fine nuances of strings and wind instruments in a classical orchestra but I prefer 3 with less "wow great" factor on hard hit snare drums, focus and studio minute details in the quiet passages but much more nuances and delineation, in a word : (more) lively. 

A long time ago I trialed the first betas of A+ with mansr's SDM conversion and at the beginning I was thrilled but then it was far behind HQP. Never been sure if mansr/DAmien broke something along the betas or if I got bored of their sound but I wonder if that was not the first time I saw a wide/narrow setting...

Of course I have another simpler route with 3, all inside HQP : File Library Scan and from the window opened by this scan I can DnD into HQP3. This is what is broken in 4 as far as DnD is concerned.

It has never been intended to work that way in first place... I wouldn't call that "broken".

Anyway I'm sorry to say I don't like (comparatively and as the type of maniac known as audiophile) the aesthetics you have achieved with 4.

OK, you can keep using version 3 of course, no problem...

On 4/30/2019 at 11:50 PM, Miska said:

If you have Linux and want headless, certainly HQPlayer Embedded...

But there are trial for both, you can try. Point of Embedded is that you don't need to have anything graphical running or even installed on the computer where HQPlayer is running. And HQPlayer is started up as a system service at boot time.

Can I use Embedded to play Internet radio / streaming to a DSD only DAC?

I mean. I've a DSD dac only (DSC2.5.2) and today with HQP3.x I can't use a streaming service, I can only play .dfs, .wav, .flac etc.etc. as a file directly loaded by the player.

Hope that Embedded can be used as an engine for Internet streaming service or even for a web based radio 

hi Miska ,

i have some problems with Roon and HQP4 on windows 10 running PCM to DSD   , i have roon suddenly loose HQP  or sometimes HQP hust just closed itself ( before the 30min trial of course).

no problem at all with HQP3 ?

PC audio /Roon + HQPLAYER / HOLO Spring 2 / / DIY AD1 SET tube amp  /  DIY Altec 2 way horn Speaker

4 hours ago, Ipoci said:

Can I use Embedded to play Internet radio / streaming to a DSD only DAC?

I mean. I've a DSD dac only (DSC2.5.2) and today with HQP3.x I can't use a streaming service, I can only play .dfs, .wav, .flac etc.etc. as a file directly loaded by the player.

Hope that Embedded can be used as an engine for Internet streaming service or even for a web based radio 

I have not tested, but you could try with BubbleUPnP or some other UPnP method that is able to transcode/decode stream. I don't know if Roon supports internet radios, but that could be another alternative that could work with HQPlayer Desktop 3.x as well.

The way I do is to send all that kind of things through digital input to HQPlayer Embedded (now works with Desktop 4 too).

9 minutes ago, juanitox said:

i have some problems with Roon and HQP4 on windows 10 running PCM to DSD   , i have roon suddenly loose HQP  or sometimes HQP hust just closed itself ( before the 30min trial of course).

no problem at all with HQP3 ?

No error messages or anything when such happens?

Log file is also useful for such cases to check couple of last lines after such has happened.