IGNORED

HQ Player

3 minutes ago, Le Concombre Masqué said:

I'll look for the scheme you posted and will trial Loopback

Please ignore the scheme I posted.  There is no useful info there, unfortunately.  My scheme was grossly inferior to using the audio device input now provided by HQP Desktop 4.  I only mentioned it as evidence that Soundflower can work.  However, my post did not include any useful info on how to configure Soundflower.

HQPlayer (on 3.8 GHz 8-core i7 iMac 2020) > NAA (on 2012 Mac Mini i7) > RME ADI-2 v2 > Benchmark AHB-2 > Thiel 3.7

39 minutes ago, Bob Stern said:

Please ignore the scheme I posted.  There is no useful info there, unfortunately.  My scheme was grossly inferior to using the audio device input now provided by HQP Desktop 4.  I only mentioned it as evidence that Soundflower can work.  However, my post did not include any useful info on how to configure Soundflower.

Thank you Bob. I have downloaded Loopback and will give it a try.

@Miska: issue seems to be that Settings (HQP4) don't "print" anything (macOS  10.14.3), not even my TEAC is kept as an output: if I close reopen Settings everything is back to default. Should I hunt for old preferences from back when i played HQP from macOS? else?

On 4/29/2019 at 6:38 PM, Hammer said:

Hi, still trying to get 4.01 to work on my system...not sure if this is helpful.  I notice that when I play from Roon to 4.01 with CUDA enabled, I don’t get any “feedback” in Roon in that it doesn’t appear to hang...just that nothing happens.  However, when I play to 4.01 without CUDA enabled, I actual see the star that shows the signal path light up.  So, while music still does not play and the time counter still does not move, it appears more “progress” is made in the playback process.  Please let me know if there is anything else that might be helpful for me to check/troubleshoot.  Thank you.

" Yes you can do that with client. But wait for the upcoming update, there are some settings synchronization issues I've fixed for the 4.0.2 release. "

Any chance 4.02 will fix my issues with Roon + HQP 4?

Just as a general question.  I run Roon feeding HQPlayer on one PC, then via Ethernet to a sMS-200Ultra.  I presume in this configuration you just need to run HQ Player server?   That is, there no additional benefit or required functionality to be gained from HQ Player Client?  

Windows 11 PC, Roon, HQPlayer, Focus Fidelity convolutions, iFi Zen Stream, Paul Hynes SR4, Mutec REF10, Mutec MC3+USB, Devialet 1000Pro, KEF Blade.  Plus Pro-Ject Signature 12 TT for playing my 'legacy' vinyl collection. Desktop system; RME ADI-2 DAC fs, Meze Empyrean headphones.

I am trying to upgrade my license from HQdesktop 3 to 4 and I am getting an error "std::exception" when I try to upload the key and click on apply. Do you know why?

I had this problem if I try to upload a lic file with *.txt extension but works with a file with *.xml extension

I tried using .xml but same problem.

Rafi

12 hours ago, trcns said:

I am trying to upgrade my license from HQdesktop 3 to 4 and I am getting an error "std::exception" when I try to upload the key and click on apply. Do you know why?

I also tried from two different computers, from home and from office, using .txt and .xml extensions, i get the same error "std::exception".

Rafi

3 minutes ago, trcns said:
  12 hours ago, trcns said:

I also tried from two different computers, from home and from office, using .txt and .xml extensions, i get the same error "std::exception".

Extension doesn't matter, but the file format. The form is expecting the new XML key file format HQPlayer 3 key, not the old Windows key that has email address and groups of characters separated by dashes.

Signalyst - Developer of HQPlayer

Pulse & Fidelity - Software Defined Amplifiers

Just now, Theobetley said:

Trying to understand free running. Does this mean that when checked  I get no music and the cursor running at very fast speed? Because that is what I get.

Yes, that's the purpose. It is a feature that was "inherited" from Pro where it is more useful. But I thought that it could be actually useful for benchmarking purposes and doesn't take much space in the main window. Essentially it runs everything, but the output data is just thrown away instead of actually played out.

Whenever HQPlayer completes playback, it prints out elapsed time in the status bar. This when combined with free running mode allows one to benchmark processing speeds. If let's say 5 minute track finishes "playing" in 2.5 minutes, processing speed is "2x" compared to realtime playback. Many people asked for benchmark feature, so now it is kind of there...

3 minutes ago, Theobetley said:

Also all of a sudden I get hqplayer desktop 4 is appearing in my programs. I had been running hqplayer pro 4.1. What am I supposed to use?

You have installed both? They are quite different beasts. I cannot answer the question without knowing what you want to do.

3 minutes ago, Theobetley said:

I want to continue using PRO unless it will cost me more.

On Pro, the free running mode just disconnects DAC output from the processing, but output to the file continues. This allows processing to run faster than playback speed. Difference to the N/O mode is that the free running can be switched on/off on the fly during processing...

Since Desktop doesn't have file output, there the data just goes nowhere when free running is engaged.

Pro does cost quite a bit more than Desktop... (a bit over 10x)

6 minutes ago, Theobetley said:

I want to continue using PRO unless it will cost me more.

Ted, what are you using pro for?  And yes, it costs way more (it's a professional level recording and modulating tool).

1 hour ago, Theobetley said:

Well I guess I will not run PRO  then. Maybe that is why I am having other problems. Thanks Ted. All I can say it that when Hqp 4.1 runs I get by far the best sound I have ever had.

5 hours ago, Le Concombre Masqué said:

Thank you Bob. I have downloaded Loopback and will give it a try.

@Miska: issue seems to be that Settings (HQP4) don't "print" anything (macOS  10.14.3), not even my TEAC is kept as an output: if I close reopen Settings everything is back to default. Should I hunt for old preferences from back when i played HQP from macOS? else?

on Mojave Settings issues could be filed under interface issues : incorrect screen real estate but in full screen mode, hazardous manipulation of the volume wheel... it's not a great user experience but it now works.

Hence I could try Loopback. I don't feel at all motivated to get 4 and a Loopback license for movies and web inputs : it takes ages to process on my machine , forget about SDM, 384 only, I'm not even sure I have correctly defined which is the right MIDI/convolution filter combo in terms of frequency : seems to work erratically. If no convolution no SDM is fine with you and/or you have a much better computer than my MBP 15" retina 2012, your opinion might be different. I could output a movie but got demotivated about web radios before I met any kind of success.

As of Movies (IINA) and web radios I'll stick to AudioHijack+ LA Convolver.

@Miska Based on the above description, what can I expect if I buy 4 + Tascam UH-7000 (excellently consistent suggestion, thank you) for LPs ?

BTW in a shoutout including vinyl, 3 was much closer than 4 to rendering the soft drum pounding at the beginning of the track I chose, soft pounding that gets me hooked to the vinyl version for that track. On the other hand, with 4 everything is tight and if I was to pick a source for monitoring, 4 would win easy : when vocals started only 4 let me hear the studio signature. I'm not yet sure which I globally prefer though... 

Any opinion on SQ out there ?

3 hours ago, Confused said:

Just as a general question.  I run Roon feeding HQPlayer on one PC, then via Ethernet to a sMS-200Ultra.  I presume in this configuration you just need to run HQ Player server?   That is, there no additional benefit or required functionality to be gained from HQ Player Client?  

Yes, Client is just a way to control the program

Read more  

Extension doesn't matter, but the file format. The form is expecting the new XML key file format HQPlayer 3 key, not the old Windows key that has email address and groups of characters separated by dashes.

I agree that's what I have, email address and bunch of characters, So what should I do? 

Rafi

Miska, is there a way to set different RC filters for different endpoints as a configuration? I have been using HQPlayer with Roon into a USBridge to my DAC at the other end of my home and have RC filters loaded for the speakers there.  But I added a pair of KEF LS50Ws to my office where the desktop running HQPlayer is and I tried using the USB to computer/Coreaudio connection instead of Network IP6 and although it worked, I am stuck with the RC filters already loaded for the other system and speakers. I could disable them while listening in the office, but it would be nice to build some for my office and use them too. Am I stuck either using Roon or switching the RC filters each time I switch the NAA endpoint?

image.thumb.jpeg.a4a84e289e35c7e49a6d3042fc9b2a99.jpeg

Miska, today I had a previous problem again - failed sound device notification on HQP start, preferences opened automatically after that, everything looks the same as when all worked ok, but no drag and drop now, files can not be played. Restarted computer couple of times, no success. Run Onyx app maintenance, restarted, turned wifi on (I keep it off usually), launched HQP, this time works ok... 4.0.1, Mojave. 

By the way, upgraded today...) Hope everything will be fine with 4, thank you.

15 minutes ago, AnotherSpin said:

Miska, today I had a previous problem again - failed sound device notification on HQP start, preferences opened automatically after that, everything looks the same as when all worked ok, but no drag and drop now, files can not be played. Restarted computer couple of times, no success. Run Onyx app maintenance, restarted, turned wifi on (I keep it off usually), launched HQP, this time works ok... 4.0.1, Mojave. 

By the way, upgraded today...) Hope everything will be fine with 4, thank you.

Have you checked that your DAC is not set as default audio device for macOS?

This is how things look like for me on iMac:

958637448_ScreenShot2017-12-31at12_48_07.png.eb8df642039ac14ee76d8fdacca40ac2.png

In this case, iFi is selected as device in HQPlayer.

And if you run Roon (or A+ or something else) on the same computer simultaneously, make sure the DAC is not enabled as output zone there. Otherwise someone else can end up stealing the audio device and then you get symptoms like that. If you use A+ too, you need to disable it's "system optimization" features.

1 hour ago, scintilla said:

Miska, is there a way to set different RC filters for different endpoints as a configuration? I have been using HQPlayer with Roon into a USBridge to my DAC at the other end of my home and have RC filters loaded for the speakers there.  But I added a pair of KEF LS50Ws to my office where the desktop running HQPlayer is and I tried using the USB to computer/Coreaudio connection instead of Network IP6 and although it worked, I am stuck with the RC filters already loaded for the other system and speakers. I could disable them while listening in the office, but it would be nice to build some for my office and use them too. Am I stuck either using Roon or switching the RC filters each time I switch the NAA endpoint?

Matrix pipeline "profiles" are on my TODO-list for 4.x (Desktop & Embedded), which solves this case...

2 hours ago, trcns said:

Read more  
Read more  

I agree that's what I have, email address and bunch of characters, So what should I do? 

I had a web form for updating the 3.x license key to a new format for about a year or so, but it is not there anymore. Please send me email with the old license key.