IGNORED

HQ Player

Some RTX 2080 Ti and 2080 designs from Asus and EVGA require nearly 3 slots!  

Pareto Audio AMD 7700 Server --> Berkeley Alpha USB --> Jeff Rowland Aeris --> Jeff Rowland 625 S2 --> Focal Utopia 3 Diablos with 2 x Focal Electra SW 1000 BE subs

i7-6700K/Windows 10  --> EVGA Nu Audio Card --> Focal CMS50's 

Hi Miska,

I'm trying to use the Geoffrey Armstrong work J River to HQPlayer.

It doesn't work and it seems that the problem is due to a connection problem.

I tried

C:\Program Files\Signalyst\HQPlayer Desktop 3>hqp-control.exe localhost --get-status

gettting
error: Connection refused.

In this way I get the same error with

C:\Program Files\Signalyst\HQPlayer Desktop 3>hqp-control.exe 127.0.0.1 "Y:\Music\Qobuz\0794881798629\4808205.flac"

I'm using the trial version of HQPlayer 3.20.4.

Please help!

Thanks

Teodoro Marinucci

Closed form 16 M taps sounds gorgeous ; Miska could you please elaborate on Hugo's literature about their 4K$ 1M taps box ?

they say M Scaler “enables CD-quality audio to be reproduced where the interpolated output is guaranteed to be better than 16 bits; conventional filters are no better than 2- or 3-bit-accurate in recovering transient timing information.”

On 8/23/2018 at 9:01 PM, louisxiawei said:

Closed-form-16M filter is a new beast. 

Just give you an idea how heavy-computing it is:

7980XE CPU running 4.0GHz cannot run it alone and causes stutter. With the help of Titanxp (ticked), it can run smoothly while CUDA offload (grey) still cause stutter. 6700K cannot even run it at DSD128.

Regarding the SQ: don't have too much time testing all kinds music genre now. Just tested a live vocal track for four times, very impressive stuff! (that's the reason I listened to the same track for 4 times). I believe the mid range is amazingly natural and analogy. 

Thank you for brining the new great stuff @Miska

I have tried the closed-formed-16M filter on my 6700K + GTX 1060. To my surprise, it can upsample Redbook to DSD512 smoothly without stuttering. Why is it different from your experience? Do I interpret it incorrectly?

14 hours ago, simonklp said:

I have tried the closed-formed-16M filter on my 6700K + GTX 1060. To my surprise, it can upsample Redbook to DSD512 smoothly without stuttering. Why is it different from your experience? Do I interpret it incorrectly?

6700K is my friend's test and he does not have a graphic card to use CUDA offload. I think closed-form-16M is more GPU computing targeted at the moment. CPU alone cannot handle it.

But I see people reporting 7700K can do closed-form-16M from 44.1/16 to DSD256, so I think he might need to check something else for incapability. 

Software: Roon, Tidal, HQplayer 

HQplayer PC: i9 7980XE, Titan Xp, RTX 3090; i9 9900K, Titan V

DAC: Holo Audio MAY L2, T+A DAC8 DSD, exasound e12, iFi micro iDSD BL

USB tweaks: Intona, Uptone (ISO) regen, LPS-1, LPS-1.2, Sbooster Vbus2, Curious cables, SUPRA Certified HiSpeed USB cable

NAA: Logic CL100 powered by Uptone JS-2

AMP: Spectral DMC 30SV, Spectral DMA 300RS

Speaker: Magico S3 MKII

Rack: HRS SXR signature

Hello Louisxiawei

Can you re-confirm with your friend  about his report that the 16M closed form filter can be run on a 6700k without CUDA?????

I tried it on my 6700k with a GTX970 and it wont even run at DSF512. I tried Closed Form M and it wont run without major stuttering.

Can you check with your friend. Seriously doubt his report of success is correct

Thanks

2 hours ago, kelvinwsy said:

Hello Louisxiawei

Can you re-confirm with your friend  about his report that the 16M closed form filter can be run on a 6700k without CUDA?????

I tried it on my 6700k with a GTX970 and it wont even run at DSF512. I tried Closed Form M and it wont run without major stuttering.

Can you check with your friend. Seriously doubt his report of success is correct

Thanks

can do closed-form-16M from 44.1/16 - 88.2/24 to DSD128 + full range convolution with Intel Core i7-3615QM and no CUDA offload

3 hours ago, kelvinwsy said:

Hello Louisxiawei

Thanks

I think you misunderstood a little. I reported my friend's finding that 6700K alone cannot run 44.1/16 → DSD128 smoothly causing stutter

But I also doubt his finding since other reported that 7700K can upsample 44.1/16 → DSD256 without stutter. 

Best practice is to try out yourself and report it back if you have something different to the current finding.

USB tweaks: Intona, Uptone (ISO) regen, LPS-1, LPS-1.2, Sbooster Vbus2, Curious cables, SUPRA Certified HiSpeed USB cable

In my case (7980XE and Titan Xp) for running closed-form-16M from redbook to 22.6MHz (CUDA offload ticked and multicore DSP greyed), GPU takes up 9% and CPU takes up 6.5% (hyper thread enabled so it's about 13%) which is identical to Miska's testing result.

Boy, closed-form-16M, ASDM7, 48kx128 is possible on my MacMini and slightly beats the same setup with poly-sinc-xtr-2s. There are some cracks indicating that the CPU is totally pitched out but the sound quality, oh my god!

It is strange though, 

if I run my standard setup with "poly-sinc-xtr-2s" and just switch by the pull down menu to "closed -form-16m" and restart the same song it sounds less impressiv than if I change to "closed-form-16m" in the settings. "Closed-form-16m" also does not accept the 48kx128 and shows 5.6448M as a result while "poly-sinc-xtr-2s" shows 6.144M.

However, surely tricking my own mind, if I setup "closed-form-16m" correctly to what it seems to ask which is 44k x 128 I get less good results than by leaving it on 48k x 128. What the heck? HQP is so cool. I love it.

Chris

Software > Roon Server & HQ Player4 on Windows 2019/AO & MacMini MMK (plus Audirvana 3.5)  > Netgear GS105EV2 > Meicord Opal > Naim NDX 2 > Naim SN2 + Lyngdorf CD-2 + Rega RP8/Aria >  > Harbeth SHL5 plus

40 minutes ago, HardrockInMiniMac said:

Boy, closed-form-16M, ASDM7, 48kx128 is possible on my MacMini and slightly beats the same setup with poly-sinc-xtr-2s. There are some cracks indicating that the CPU is totally pitched out but the sound quality, oh my god!

Chris

Just want to make sure I understand what you wrote...you think the closed form "slightly beats" your previous setting but the sound quality is "oh my god"?  Also, were you converting to DSD128 or higher previously?

12TB NAS >> i7-6700 Server/Control PC >> i3-5015u NAA >> Singxer SU-1 DDC (modded) >> Holo Spring L3 DAC >> Accustic Arts Power 1 int amp >> Sonus Faber Guaneri Evolution speakers + REL T/5i sub (x2)

Other components:

UpTone Audio LPS1.2/IsoRegen, Fiber Switch and FMC, Windows Server 2016 OS, Audiophile Optimizer 3.0, Fidelizer Pro 6, HQ Player, Roonserver, PS Audio P3 AC regenerator, HDPlex 400W ATX & 200W Linear PSU, Light Harmonic Lightspeed Split USB cable, Synergistic Research Tungsten AC power cords, Tara Labs The One speaker cables, Tara Labs The Two Extended with HFX Station IC, Oyaide R1 outlets, Stillpoints Ultra Mini footers, Hi-Fi Tuning fuses, Vicoustic/RealTraps/GIK room treatments

I am and have been converting all PCM to DSD 128 in both settings. PCM conversion has more punch, SDM conversion has more detail in my setup if that answers your question. And closed-form-16m sounds even better than "poly-sinc-xtr-2s" - again - in my setup.

Software > Roon Server & HQ Player4 on Windows 2019/AO & MacMini MMK (plus Audirvana 3.5)  > Netgear GS105EV2 > Meicord Opal > Naim NDX 2 > Naim SN2 + Lyngdorf CD-2 + Rega RP8/Aria >  > Harbeth SHL5 plus

Just curious if anyone else using Singxer SU-1 and HQP is having any problem playing DSD64 or 128?  In the drop down menu of HQP I only see DSD256 and 512.  I have always used DSD512 but wanted to start trying the other CPU intensive HQP filters at a lower DSD rate to see if it sounds better than my current set up (poly-sinc-mp-2s & DSD512).

12TB NAS >> i7-6700 Server/Control PC >> i3-5015u NAA >> Singxer SU-1 DDC (modded) >> Holo Spring L3 DAC >> Accustic Arts Power 1 int amp >> Sonus Faber Guaneri Evolution speakers + REL T/5i sub (x2)

Other components:

UpTone Audio LPS1.2/IsoRegen, Fiber Switch and FMC, Windows Server 2016 OS, Audiophile Optimizer 3.0, Fidelizer Pro 6, HQ Player, Roonserver, PS Audio P3 AC regenerator, HDPlex 400W ATX & 200W Linear PSU, Light Harmonic Lightspeed Split USB cable, Synergistic Research Tungsten AC power cords, Tara Labs The One speaker cables, Tara Labs The Two Extended with HFX Station IC, Oyaide R1 outlets, Stillpoints Ultra Mini footers, Hi-Fi Tuning fuses, Vicoustic/RealTraps/GIK room treatments

56 minutes ago, HardrockInMiniMac said:

I am and have been converting all PCM to DSD 128 in both settings. PCM conversion has more punch, SDM conversion has more detail in my setup if that answers your question. And closed-form-16m sounds even better than "poly-sinc-xtr-2s" - again - in my setup.

Closed form 16 M was my favorite, listening to Beth Gibbons from Portishead fame as well as... Orlando Gibbons by Glenn Gould.

However on more dubious sources (such as The Congos' Heart of the Congos) the reinforced bass line through poly sinc mqa mp is more appealing ; has anyone else tried this filter with NON (f***ing) mqa files ?

5 hours ago, Le Concombre Masqué said:

Closed form 16 M was my favorite, listening to Beth Gibbons from Portishead fame as well as... Orlando Gibbons by Glenn Gould.

However on more dubious sources (such as The Congos' Heart of the Congos) the reinforced bass line through poly sinc mqa mp is more appealing ; has anyone else tried this filter with NON (f***ing) mqa files ?

Definitely. With Embedded it is possible to set filters for 1x (44/48) and Nx (high res) rates. Miska has suggested poly-sinc-mqa as  a possible filter choice for high res non-mqa material. Of course this depends on  taste! Anyway, some discussion of this starts here.

I still prefer poly-sinc-xtr, but closed-form mega has not yet come to Embedded.   

7 hours ago, arglebargle said:

Definitely. With Embedded it is possible to set filters for 1x (44/48) and Nx (high res) rates. Miska has suggested poly-sinc-mqa as  a possible filter choice for high res non-mqa material. Of course this depends on  taste! Anyway, some discussion of this starts here.

I still prefer poly-sinc-xtr, but closed-form mega has not yet come to Embedded.   

Thank you. Guess I'm on for a filter crisis and can't settle any longer for xtr mp 2s for everything

Some rational :

If I recall correctly, I was happy that xtr (2s) could be used for everything with my cpu and dac with consistent if not best SQ ; BUT one should not select a filter for hires listening to RBCD ; ie the rational for xtr is lost with hires

xtr is never (?) my favorite for rbcd

Closed form (16 M) being non apodizing, it makes sense i might love it with classical or well recorded pop and not be so happy with roots reggae. I knew that, just forgot...

In the thread you pointed me to, Miska seems to show more pride/support for his mqa filters (stressing they do not behave at all like MQA with hires) than I read before and that comforts me that there is good use for poly sinc mqa mp indeed

guess I'll fiddle this way

CF16M for classical RBCD

mqa mp for lesser recordings RBCD

poly sinc short mp with hires (can't do n48 to dsd with mqa or CF with my DAC ; too bad since I understand that mqa mp being very short the rational for its use points towards hires)

will give minringFIR a try (see : https://community.roonlabs.com/t/xtr-filters-why-do-they-sound-so-good/25687/66?u=zbyte)

btw, favorite modulator with my TEAC is DSD5V2

46 minutes ago, Le Concombre Masqué said:

mqa mp for lesser recordings RBCD

with 44.1kHz sources ps-mqa (mp) starts to roll off somewhere at around 14kHz or 15kHz or so ... so possibly not the best choice here.

IMO ps-mqa is excellent for highres content when the transition of the filter is far above the audible specturm (88.2kHz and higher source files...).

46 minutes ago, Le Concombre Masqué said:

will give minringFIR a try

you should!

Mac Mini, HQPlayer | iFi Zenstream (NAA) | Intona 7055-B | Singxer SDA-6 pro | Vincent SV237 | Buchardt S400 | SPL Phonitor One | Beyer DT1990pro | Avantone Pro Planar II
Desktop: Audirvana Origin | Intona 7054 | SMSL M500MKII | Pro-Ject Stereo Box S | Aperion Novus B5 Bookshelf | Lehmann Rhinelander | Beyer DT700proX