IGNORED

HQ Player

19 minutes ago, Le Concombre Masqué said:

At my age I don't hear anything close to Nyquist and probably neither at frequencies concerned by a "slow rolloff" !!

Maybe there's something palatable in the MQA style then ; this of course does not justify the MQA business, just a flavour that seems to fit certain cases

Yeah, MQA is trying to bundle different things into same package and force-feed it to everybody...

1) Controlled content encoding, where production side pays fees to produce distributable content

2) Protected content, where only approved/licensed decoders can access full resolution, others are subjected to reduced quality

3) Their set of filters

For long time, Meridian had (3) in their gear, MQA added (1) and (2) and bundled it all under one brand offering.

I believe it is best to have choice between different kinds of filters, because people are sensitive to different aspects, systems are different and people listen to different kinds of music which has different kinds of requirements. I don't think there's "one size fits all".

Signalyst - Developer of HQPlayer

Pulse & Fidelity - Software Defined Amplifiers

Hey guys, I am writing to get some advice.

I have been using Hqplayer with servercore 2016 and AO. I am using a gigabyte Brix, with an i7 6500U and 16gb of ram. Down the signal chain I have an iFi iPower (acting as an USB regen) and finally a PsAudio DirectStream DAC. The music is stored in an Asustor NAS.

Despite the i7, the computer stutters when upsamling to more than DSD64, using poly-sync xtr mp and ASDM7. I can go no further. Reading other posts, my specs seem to indicate that I would be able to at least go to DSD 128. Changing the audio chain doesn't seem to solve the problem.

Also, even when at DSD64, I often hear some "plics" and "plocs". The volume control of Hqplayer is limited to -5 dBFS. 

Appreciate your insights.

I'd appreciate some guidance with a problem I've been having.

I have:

Ubuntu 18.04.1, T+A DAC 8 DSD, and hqplayer 3.22.1

My DAC locks on to the PC and displays all the icons on the display screen that suggests it should work.

aplay -l lists 10 cards, including-

card 4: HDAudio [DAC 8 DSD HD-Audio], device 0: USB Audio [USB Audio]
  Subdevices: 0/1
  Subdevice #0: subdevice #0

Yet hqplayer doesn't see the DAC, lists only 9 cards, and I cannot play music.

I assume I'm doing something wrong.

LMS on Odroid XU4; HQPlayer on i7-8700; iFi iGalvanic; T+A DAC 8 DSD; Benchmark AHB2; Quad ESL 2805s + two Acoustic Energy subs.

Hi Miska,

I am normally using Room correction Filters made with Acourate and use the Acourate Convolver together with HQPlayer.

Also your Matrix works fine with the wav filters in my 8 Channel system. 

What would be fine is the possibility to change on the fly different sets of filters generated with different target curves from Acourate. Are you planning this for future development?

best regards

Sigi

1 hour ago, Sigi said:

Hi Miska,

I am normally using Room correction Filters made with Acourate and use the Acourate Convolver together with HQPlayer.

What would be fine is the possibility to change on the fly different sets of filters generated with different target curves from Acourate. Are you planning this for future development?

best regards

Sigi

Can I ask how you are getting Accourate convolver to output through HQP?

Would love to use Acourate Flow with HQP upsampling

8 hours ago, jvvita said:

Hey guys, I am writing to get some advice.

I have been using Hqplayer with servercore 2016 and AO. I am using a gigabyte Brix, with an i7 6500U and 16gb of ram. Down the signal chain I have an iFi iPower (acting as an USB regen) and finally a PsAudio DirectStream DAC. The music is stored in an Asustor NAS.

Despite the i7, the computer stutters when upsamling to more than DSD64, using poly-sync xtr mp and ASDM7. I can go no further. Reading other posts, my specs seem to indicate that I would be able to at least go to DSD 128. Changing the audio chain doesn't seem to solve the problem.

Also, even when at DSD64, I often hear some "plics" and "plocs". The volume control of Hqplayer is limited to -5 dBFS. 

Appreciate your insights.

Could you please try to upsample using poly-sync-mp or even poly-sync-mp-2s.

As this filter requires much less cpu performance, you can verify if you can go beyond DSD64. 

8 hours ago, sixman said:

Can I ask how you are getting Accourate convolver to output through HQP?

Would love to use Acourate Flow with HQP upsampling

I am using HQPlayer with Asio/Acourate Asio and connecting to Acourate Convolver. Acourate Convolver delivers the convolution signals to my Merging Hapi 8 Channel DAC. In this case I can use flow, but not DSD. Am happy with PCM . Maximum SR is 384 KHz.

Regards

Sigi

2 hours ago, bibo01 said:

@Miska

Do the latest versions support Intel AVX2 and SSE4.1 (also SSE4.2?) instructions?

From what version have you started to support them?

Yes, and AVX512 too... SSE4.2 has been there for a really long time, AVX variants a bit shorter time, but I cannot remember when support for each was added. Usually I add support for CPU features quite quickly when new CPUs become available.

12 hours ago, Sigi said:

Yes, this is one of the things on my TODO-list, as I personally use room correction for speakers and separate processing for headphones and would like to easily switch between the two. Now it is fairly easy to have different configuration files and load those as needed, but could be simpler and quicker still.

14 hours ago, richard kimber said:

I'd appreciate some guidance with a problem I've been having.

I have:

Ubuntu 18.04.1, T+A DAC 8 DSD, and hqplayer 3.22.1

My DAC locks on to the PC and displays all the icons on the display screen that suggests it should work.

aplay -l lists 10 cards, including-

card 4: HDAudio [DAC 8 DSD HD-Audio], device 0: USB Audio [USB Audio]
  Subdevices: 0/1
  Subdevice #0: subdevice #0

Yet hqplayer doesn't see the DAC, lists only 9 cards, and I cannot play music.

I assume I'm doing something wrong.

This is likely because something else is keeping the DAC busy. Usually this is PulseAudio daemon which I'd recommend to uninstall or configure to use built-in audio or something like that and stay off the DAC.

18 hours ago, jvvita said:

This is only a dual-core CPU, likely it doesn't have enough processing power with xtr filter. But you could use xtr-2s variant instead for lighter CPU load. It is at least worth testing that way to see.

2 hours ago, Miska said:

This is only a dual-core CPU, likely it doesn't have enough processing power with xtr filter. But you could use xtr-2s variant instead for lighter CPU load. It is at least worth testing that way to see.

Ok. Gonna give it a go. Let you know 

Anyone noticed the behavior of hqplayer on macos Mojave beta 6? My setup is HQplayer on OS X - naa on W10 - amanero - buffalo II.

until beta 5 it did work but now it can’t start reproduction al all.

my regural OS X is Sierra, and everything is fine

bye gf

MacMini 2012 i5 2.3| 4GB |Crucial M4 64 Gb SSD |10.9.1| NorthStar Driver | Optimization Script |HiFace 1| JRiver 19 Mac | Buffalo II DAC | Mastersound 220| Rega Naos

15 hours ago, Conte_Oliver said:

Anyone noticed the behavior of hqplayer on macos Mojave beta 6? My setup is HQplayer on OS X - naa on W10 - amanero - buffalo II.

until beta 5 it did work but now it can’t start reproduction al all.

my regural OS X is Sierra, and everything is fine

bye gf

Saw that on Audirvana forum.... new security thing, might be the same for you?

by DCdane » Sun Jul 29, 2018 4:02 pm

It is caused by a new security feature in Mojave. To allow Audirvana to work, you must go to the Control Panel’s security panel and look under “anonymity”. From the long list there, one has to choose “access” and there grant Audirvana permission to control the computer. Audirvana will then launch.

If You Got Ears, You Gotta ListenCaptain Beefheart

MacMini 2018, 4xi3 3.6GHz, SSD, 20Gb, macOS Sonoma > Audirvana Origin >

Wyred DAC2 DSD Special Edition > Proceed AMP2 > Focal Cobalt 826 Signature Series >

Audirvana Remote > iPhone 13

On 7/4/2017 at 5:28 AM, Miska said:

Yes, so I thought better approach would be to move the processing out-of-box and make it totally source agnostic. That's what I implemented in HQPlayer Embedded. It can work like for example dCS upsamplers (but with more features like convolution engine, speaker/matrix -processing, etc). What ever device pushes out audio to the processing box which in turn pushes it out to the DAC.

Hi Jussi

With the dCS DACs, if using HQP Embedded instead of their own upsampling box, is it better to feed their DACs PCM or DSD from HQP Embedded?

What is happening inside the dCS DACs? Conversion to DSD rates? Or more like the Chord approach (except DAVE) where DSD is decimated?

Here is an update on my custom DIY Digital music streamer project. My front and back panels arrived from Front panel express Berlin. But I still need some other parts to complete the streamer. I already have the Seasonic prime titanium fanless 600W and a Ryzen 5 1600.    

W.r.t. motherboards I had some recommendations on the 'Crowd funded motherboard for audiophiles website -  part 2', so i am thinking of the Asus ROG Strix X470-F Gaming. Any comments on that? 

On the Qualified Vendors List I found 8GB 3000mhz memory (Kingston HX430C15PB3K2/8). This should be ok I suppose for HQPlayer? 

How about storage? Do you recommend M.2 ssd with PCI-Express 3.0x4 interface? Or just the normal slower 2,5 inch SSD Sata that I can supply with a good linear power supply? 

X1_Streamer_front_small.jpg

X1_Streamer_back_small.jpg

W.r.t. cooling: I have a CPU cooler, Be Quiet Dark Rock TF, and I can install at least one (92mm) or more case fans. To control the case fans (myself) I have a lamptron CP436 Fan controller which fits in a PCI slot on the back side.

38 minutes ago, PieterP said:

Here is an update on my custom DIY Digital music streamer project. My front and back panels arrived from Front panel express Berlin. But I still need some other parts to complete the streamer. I already have the Seasonic prime titanium fanless 600W and a Ryzen 5 1600.    

W.r.t. motherboards I had some recommendations on the 'Crowd funded motherboard for audiophiles website -  part 2', so i am thinking of the Asus ROG Strix X470-F Gaming. Any comments on that? 

On the Qualified Vendors List I found 8GB 3000mhz memory (Kingston HX430C15PB3K2/8). This should be ok I suppose for HQPlayer? 

How about storage? Do you recommend M.2 ssd with PCI-Express 3.0x4 interface? Or just the normal slower 2,5 inch SSD Sata that I can supply with a good linear power supply? 

X1_Streamer_front_small.jpg

X1_Streamer_back_small.jpg

W.r.t. cooling: I have a CPU cooler, Be Quiet Dark Rock TF, and I can install at least one (92mm) or more case fans. To control the case fans (myself) I have a lamptron CP436 Fan controller which fits in a PCI slot on the back side.

For storage consider USB externally powered hard disk and/or an Optane boot drive as ssd. Some like the intel x25 slc ssds externally powered as well.

I would stay away from high speed memory. Go with the default speed supported by your board.

Pareto Audio aka nuckleheadaudio