IGNORED

HQ Player

23 hours ago, Miska said:

You can just drop everything you want on HQPlayer window and it'll get added to the playlist. If you have everything under single top level folder, just drop the top level folder and HQPlayer will traverse the tree. On Mac , for example from Finder. You can then save/open this as a playlist. HQPlayer will also open it up next time you start it if that was the last thing you had when you closed the application.

You can then use HQPlayer's random playback option.

On all platforms, standard media keys work with HQPlayer. But on macOS, the operating system steals keypresses of media keys and launches iTunes instead of forwarding those to the application. But there's a workaround to this, since on Apple keyboard media keys and overloaded with function keys (same keys on the physical keyboard), so you can use same keys, but you need to generate function key presses instead of the media keys for same functionality.

Thanks, Miska. Everything works now as expected. And thanks for the discount. I already bought the license.

Maybe a stupid question: I've got a MBP 2017 with i7 3,1GHz. Which upsampling rates (PCM/DSD) are possible with non -2s filters without stuttering? Any experiences? 24bit/96kHz (PCM) runs without any problems.

21 hours ago, RamUwe said:

Maybe a stupid question: I've got a MBP 2017 with i7 3,1GHz. Which upsampling rates (PCM/DSD) are possible with non -2s filters without stuttering? Any experiences? 24bit/96kHz (PCM) runs without any problems.

I don't have such machine, but since it's a quad-core, depending on filter I'd estimate it to be able to do DSD128/DSD256. DSD512 with -2s filters.

Signalyst - Developer of HQPlayer

Pulse & Fidelity - Software Defined Amplifiers

22 minutes ago, Miska said:

I don't have such machine, but since it's a quad-core, depending on filter I'd estimate it to be able to do DSD128/DSD256. DSD512 with -2s filters.

Thanks for your reply, Miska.

It would be great if my rig could play DSD128/DSD256 with poly-sync-xtr-mp. Would that be possible?

1 hour ago, RamUwe said:

Thanks for your reply, Miska.

It would be great if my rig could play DSD128/DSD256 with poly-sync-xtr-mp. Would that be possible?

I have exactly the same MBP.  It can do DSD128 with just about any filter, DSD256 with most filters using the -2s variants, and DSD512 with none that I've found.

I know they use different methods, etc., but Roon can run DSD512 resampling all day long even on my Mac Mini (a much lower spec'ed machine). I would love to get HQPlayer running at DSD512 on either platform, though, given I think it sounds better than Roon ;)

Note that you can only go up to DSD256 anyway if you're using USB connection direct to your MacBook Pro.  I stream to a microRendu, where the limit is DSD512.

John Walker - IT Executive

Headphone - SonicTransporter i9 running Roon Server > Netgear Orbi > Blue Jeans Cable Ethernet > mRendu Roon endpoint > Topping D90 > Topping A90d > Dan Clark Expanse / HiFiMan H6SE v2 / HiFiman Arya Stealth

Home Theater / Music -SonicTransporter i9 running Roon Server > Netgear Orbi > Blue Jeans Cable HDMI > Denon X3700h > Anthem Amp for front channels > Revel F208-based 5.2.4 Atmos speaker system

8 minutes ago, jhwalker said:

I have exactly the same MBP.  It can do DSD128 with just about any filter, DSD256 with most filters using the -2s variants, and DSD512 with none that I've found.

I know they use different methods, etc., but Roon can run DSD512 resampling all day long even on my Mac Mini (a much lower spec'ed machine). I would love to get HQPlayer running at DSD512 on either platform, though, given I think it sounds better than Roon ;)

Note that you can only go up to DSD256 anyway if you're using USB connection direct to your MacBook Pro.  I stream to a microRendu, where the limit is DSD512.

OK, that is strange, because I use my fanless i5 7600T machine for DSD512 upsampling to Holo Audio Spring DAC, with -2s filters. And it is not even close to the limits. Not a Mac, but I would expect the T-series CPU to be similar enough to laptop models used on MacBook Pro's.

My old quad-core i5 iMac can do DSD256 with -2s filters. While old dual-core i5 Mac Mini can only do DSD128. That's all Mac's I have.

But that is why I'm saying that one can only know by testing...

3 hours ago, Miska said:

OK, that is strange, because I use my fanless i5 7600T machine for DSD512 upsampling to Holo Audio Spring DAC, with -2s filters. And it is not even close to the limits. Not a Mac, but I would expect the T-series CPU to be similar enough to laptop models used on MacBook Pro's.

My old quad-core i5 iMac can do DSD256 with -2s filters. While old dual-core i5 Mac Mini can only do DSD128. That's all Mac's I have.

But that is why I'm saying that one can only know by testing...

Mine doesn't seem to be hitting any CPU limits on the i7 MBP (running pretty consistently at about 75%, no spikes), but stuttering like crazy after a few seconds:

Screen Shot 2018-08-15 at 5.24.06 PM.png

John Walker - IT Executive

Headphone - SonicTransporter i9 running Roon Server > Netgear Orbi > Blue Jeans Cable Ethernet > mRendu Roon endpoint > Topping D90 > Topping A90d > Dan Clark Expanse / HiFiMan H6SE v2 / HiFiman Arya Stealth

Home Theater / Music -SonicTransporter i9 running Roon Server > Netgear Orbi > Blue Jeans Cable HDMI > Denon X3700h > Anthem Amp for front channels > Revel F208-based 5.2.4 Atmos speaker system

HQ Player (#1) & Audrivana (#2) (wow! love the Apple w/music!!) .. these two software make my system "Amazing!", Purist USB- Benchmark DAC2 HGC (love it!), Purist Audio XLR , ATC SCM25A's (To Die For!) & Focal sub6 . Triode Power Cables with Uber Buss (Yes!) Also enjoy Audeze LCD3 w/"fat pipe cardas."

HQ Player (#1) & Audrivana (#2) (wow! love the Apple w/music!!) .. these two software make my system "Amazing!", Purist USB- Benchmark DAC2 HGC (love it!), Purist Audio XLR , ATC SCM25A's (To Die For!) & Focal sub6 . Triode Power Cables with Uber Buss (Yes!) Also enjoy Audeze LCD3 w/"fat pipe cardas."

1 hour ago, Whitigir said:

Is buying HQPlayer allowing user to download upgraded version in the future ?

Do not hold me to this but there is an upgrade fee (no clue on how much) when you go from version 3.x to 4.x.  I do not believe Miska has charged folks for any of the upgrades / bugfixes / enchancements released as part of the 3.x train.

10 hours ago, Miska said:

I don't know, someone needs to just try it out... I have some doubts about DSD256, but maybe DSD128...

9 hours ago, jhwalker said:

DSD128 with poly-sinc-xtr-mp is just fine. PCM768 would have done it as well. It's ok because higher DSD sampling rates also means more noise. Maybe DSD256 with poly-sinc-xtr-mp is possible with the new MBP i9. I will upgrade later because of the issues (throttleling and crackling sound). I'll wait until they have been fixed.

Sometimes the volume knob indicates red. How can I prevent this? My settings are: vol min -6dB and vol max 0dB. The volume knob is at 12 o'clock (-3 dBFS). Which settings should I change?

@Miska I'm on latest Linux version.

Is it normal that, although a RB album scan in the library has correctly recognized a certain Artist name (in my case "Roland Kirk"), when I playback that album I see on the desktop a different Artist name which corresponds to the Composer tag ("Gus Kahn, Walter Donaldson")?! This is rather disconcerting.

I double checked album tags with MP3Tag. Everything is correct.

Miska, be curious to hear your thoughts on tensor cores and audio ray tracing that will be a major feature in Nvidia consumer video cards released next week.  So large that they are renaming the entire line RTX.  Understanding there are a lot of unknowns at this point as to product specifics.

Sorry if this was already discussed somewhere in the nearly 475 pages here alone.

22 hours ago, Outlaw said:

Will a 7700K do all dsd 256 filters on its own without Cuba offload ?

Yes, my I7-3770 does it at about 30% load on poly-sinc xtr.

Bob

Mac Mini M1 12 volt dc > Roon > HQ Player to DSD 256 > Fibre to EtherRegen w/LPS1.2 and BG7TBL OCXO > Sonore microRendu v1.3 > IsoRegen > Denafrips Iris > i2s  > Denafrips Pontus II > Schiit Freya+ w/ Linlai E-6SN7's >  Nord One Up NCore 500 monoblocks REV D w/SI990Enh op amps > Martin Logan Impression 11A w/ dual Rythmik E15HP2 subs. Supra Cat8, JPS Labs Superconductor+ cables

6 hours ago, rando said:

Miska, be curious to hear your thoughts on tensor cores and audio ray tracing that will be a major feature in Nvidia consumer video cards released next week.  So large that they are renaming the entire line RTX.  Understanding there are a lot of unknowns at this point as to product specifics.

Tensor is for AI and not useful for anything else. Ray tracing doesn't help either. But if they don't spoil FP64 performance of earlier Volta generation GPUs they have shipped (like Titan V) I would assume it to perform really nicely! With couple of earlier generations they completely spoiled that part for everything else except most expensive Tesla models (but still performing quite nicely).

14 hours ago, RamUwe said:

Sometimes the volume knob indicates red. How can I prevent this? My settings are: vol min -6dB and vol max 0dB. The volume knob is at 12 o'clock (-3 dBFS). Which settings should I change?

I assume you have DirectSDM disabled to have volume control available for SDM output as well? Just turn down the volume a bit more and see if it stops. For most cases -3 dBFS is enough, but I certainly have couple of albums where it isn't - due to excessive clipping in the RedBook master.

12 hours ago, bibo01 said:

@Miska I'm on latest Linux version.

Is it normal that, although a RB album scan in the library has correctly recognized a certain Artist name (in my case "Roland Kirk"), when I playback that album I see on the desktop a different Artist name which corresponds to the Composer tag ("Gus Kahn, Walter Donaldson")?! This is rather disconcerting.

I double checked album tags with MP3Tag. Everything is correct.

In latest version with addition of "ALBUMARTIST" tag support for FLACs, albums are shown under artist specified under "ALBUMARTIST" (if available). Individual tracks show what is specified under "ARTIST" tag. So in essence only thing that has changed is what is shown for albums if album artist is specified in FLAC, everything else is as before. So sounds like things work as intended.

If you really have a "COMPOSER" tag, then you should also have "PERFORMER" tag which would be something used for classical music where composer would be something like "J.S. Bach" and performer would be something like "London Symphony Orchestra". Note that COMPOSER only applied if ARTIST is not specified before it.

1 hour ago, Miska said:

If you want something really long that is like M-Scaler, then closed-form or poly-sinc-xtr would be closest.

My system can not handle it X_X what do you recommend for those ? Is it the Amanero384 limitations ? Or is it the PC.  

I realized my portable device , dx200 (XmosU208) can deal with closed form fast but both my lks004 and r2r7 will stutter on this and many other filters.  

17 minutes ago, Whitigir said:

My system can not handle it X_X what do you recommend for those ? Is it the Amanero384 limitations ? Or is it the PC.  

I realized my portable device , dx200 (XmosU208) can deal with closed form fast but both my lks004 and r2r7 will stutter on this and many other filters.  

Likely computer related and not DAC. If you are upsampling to DSD, then using poly-sinc-xtr-2s gives you lighter weight alternative.