IGNORED

HQ Player

12 minutes ago, soares said:

Unfortunately Jesus don't accept message through his CA contact.

JR's email address is here:

https://www.sonore.us/contact.html

This is (or was) Oppo USA's support email, you can try it:

[email protected] 

39 minutes ago, soares said:

By the way Em2016, what DAC are you using?

Now I'm using the iFi Pro iDSD - HQP with native DSD512.

With NAA (Jussi's NAA image) and ALSA mode (direct USB connected to HQP Embedded) I can play Native DSD512.

With the Rendu's there is static with native DSD mode. JR and Andrew are aware of this and the cause and they are aware of Jussi's kernel updates which fixes this, so they'll test and roll out the update in due course. Jussi's images obviously already incorporate his kernel updates.

I completely understand why Sonore want to test out Jussi's linux kernel updates properly before they roll out the updates, because they have a lot of Rendu's in the field. This might or might not be related to your issues but if it is, just give them some time.

12 hours ago, Miska said:

It is not 100% black and white, but poly-sinc-hb, minringFIR, closed-form and polynomial are non-apodizing.

With apodizing filters, impulse response (ringing) of ADC anti-alias filter or mastering SRC is replaced with that of upsampling filter. Which one, depends on where the final sampling rate was produced (for example recording at 44.1 mastered to 44.1 or recording at 96 mastered to 44.1). Apodizing filters help cleaning up problems caused by frequently not so great filters used earlier in the chain. Overall, this helps obtaining more consistent sound quality across different recordings.

Non-apodizing filters don't try to fix problems introduced earlier in the chain, but instead play such out as-is. So any ringing or other filter problems from the earlier stages comes through untouched. So you get more record to record variability due to differences in production chain.

Roughly speaking, apodizing filters are great for generic productions what most of the music out there is. Non-apodizing filters may work well in cases like audiophile recordings where extra attention has been paid on technical details of the production.

If you listen something like latest Pink Floyd remasters, I'd recommend to stick with apodizing filters...

Is it technical possible (together with Roon) to some way autoselect filters based on what’s playing ?

For library files could this be solved with adding a tag ?

What triggers/indicators do you see as best selectors in order to determine possible best filter. 

You may answer this as the question is related to HQPlayer embedded.

Also, and again HQPlayer embedded is most interesting, how could filters be controlled / selected within Roon? 

Appart from Roon developers doing something directly in Roon app, could Roon extensions be used by a person that had the interest and skills to develop something. 

What is the the right HQPlayer software version for me?

Can you help me in my process to chose the right HQPlayer software version for my new streamer as I have a few questions?  My hardware: custom streamer (ryzen 1600, 8GB, DIY chassis, etc), DIYaudio Dsc v2.5.2 DSD dac with Amanero USB input (Maybe a NAA later), music files are on a NAS and I also stream Qobuz, no Roon. Currently I use daphile on a low power DIY streamer. 

On 15th july I asked about streaming qobuz through HQplayer.

On 7/15/2018 at 12:55 PM, shadowlight said:

There are couple of ways to do that with embedded HQP version.  The two way that i have used it mostly is via Bubbleupnp (Android only) and mconnect.  I think you might be able to leverage Linn Kazoo or equivalent client also.  Audrivina might be another option.

For support under desktop client you can leverage the Lodi plugin written by Geoff Armstrong.

From Shadowlight I understand there are two ways to have HQPlayer stream qobuz. One way is using the 'Embedded HQPlayer' with BubbleUNPN, the other way is using 'HQPlayer desktop' with Kodi and the Kodi plugin 'Supersonic' written by Geoff Armstrong

1 First question on HQPlayer Embedded. There are two types of this embedded version, one full bootable custom OS image and the other one that needs Ubuntu LTS to be installed first. What is the difference (advantages/disadvantages) between those two? The bootable OS image is more user friendly for a Linux newbie like me? anything else? 

2 Then I read here that people use Audiolinux with HQPlayer in stead of Ubuntu, am I right? What is the advantage of Audiolinux over Ubuntu? 

3 Then, if we have the HQPlayer Embedded (full bootable or the other one) and connect BubbleUNPN to stream Qobuz, does it mean that we stream the actual Qobuz music data from an android tablet or mobile phone (with BubbleUPNP) through WiFi to the HQPlayer PC? Then, this is different from Daphile which has an integrated Qobuz plugin and were we have no music data going from the Mobile phone by WiFi to the PC/streamer? I only use my mobile to control daphile/qobuz on my PC/streamer. I am a bit worried about streaming actual music data from my mobile by WiFi to a streamer. 

4 Then we have the other route that is capable to stream Qobuz: HQPlayer desktop version, Kodi, Kodi plugin SuperSonic by Geoffrey. Here we can choose between a desktop version for Windows or Linux OS right? With Kodi and SuperSonic, I suppose we only control the streamer by our mobile phone (which app?) and do not stream the Qobuz music data to the PC/streamer by WiFi, right? 

Looking forward to your feed back,

Thanks, Pieter

6 hours ago, R1200CL said:

Is it technical possible (together with Roon) to some way autoselect filters based on what’s playing ?

For library files could this be solved with adding a tag ?

What triggers/indicators do you see as best selectors in order to determine possible best filter. 

You may answer this as the question is related to HQPlayer embedded.

Also, and again HQPlayer embedded is most interesting, how could filters be controlled / selected within Roon? 

Appart from Roon developers doing something directly in Roon app, could Roon extensions be used by a person that had the interest and skills to develop something. 

There's been a feature request on Roon forum's to be able to apply different HQPlayer filters; etc. from within the Roon interface. I think that request dates from around the time of HQPlayer integration within Roon.

That would be a first step!

Whilst auto-selection of filters based on what's playing would fit into the general Roon paradigm, there are a lot of practical considerations to keep in mind.

The ideal IMO would be that 1/ Roon/HQPlayer know both the capabilities of the machine(s) they're running on and the limitations of that machine(s) and 2/ Roon/HQPlayer would know the limitations of the DAC attached to the server.

Based on that they could auto determine which filters and shapers would technically work and which should be avoided (de-activated).

Following that there are a whole host of questions around the issues of the type of music files being played back

1/ Redbook

2/ High-Rez PCM

3/ DSD (originating from what? PCM, analogue or "pure" DSD)

4/ MQA

Then there is the "type" of music that's being played. The genres tend to be very broad. The main genres, Classical, Jazz and Rock each encompass very wide ranges of music and the sub genres are not necessarily that helpful in determining which settings to be applied.

Was it a studio recording or live, if live which kind of venue?; etc.

On top of all that, there's a question of your own tastes, as well as the influence of the rest of your system and the room.

So whilst there is some consensus on which filters/shapers work best under different circumstances, it could be that a particular filter/shaper combination that might be indicated for certain circumstances may be completely wrong for you.

While the idea of auto application of these settings might be appealing then, I believe there's no substitute for "playing it by ear".

Having said that, I continue to welcome the ideas being presented here by Miska and others as to which might work best in certain circumstances.

geoff

Owner of: Sound Galleries, High-End Audio Dealer, Monaco

4 hours ago, PieterP said:

1 First question on HQPlayer Embedded. There are two types of this embedded version, one full bootable custom OS image and the other one that needs Ubuntu LTS to be installed first. What is the difference (advantages/disadvantages) between those two? The bootable OS image is more user friendly for a Linux newbie like me? anything else? 

2 Then I read here that people use Audiolinux with HQPlayer in stead of Ubuntu, am I right? What is the advantage of Audiolinux over Ubuntu? 

3 Then, if we have the HQPlayer Embedded (full bootable or the other one) and connect BubbleUNPN to stream Qobuz, does it mean that we stream the actual Qobuz music data from an android tablet or mobile phone (with BubbleUPNP) through WiFi to the HQPlayer PC? Then, this is different from Daphile which has an integrated Qobuz plugin and were we have no music data going from the Mobile phone by WiFi to the PC/streamer? I only use my mobile to control daphile/qobuz on my PC/streamer. I am a bit worried about streaming actual music data from my mobile by WiFi to a streamer. 

4 Then we have the other route that is capable to stream Qobuz: HQPlayer desktop version, Kodi, Kodi plugin SuperSonic by Geoffrey. Here we can choose between a desktop version for Windows or Linux OS right? With Kodi and SuperSonic, I suppose we only control the streamer by our mobile phone (which app?) and do not stream the Qobuz music data to the PC/streamer by WiFi, right? 

Looking forward to your feed back,

Thanks, Pieter

Pieter,

Responses in order of your questions.

1. HQPlayer Image is easier to get up and running since you do not have to worry about install the base OS.  The one disadvantage mentioned by @Miska is that it does not have support for CUDA support.  The Ubuntu LTS install will give you an option to leverage CUDA but you have to install the OS on your own.
  2. Audiolinux is a turn key solution provided by @hifi25nl which is based on Arch Linux another variation of Linux software.
  3. That is my understanding that it is proxied by the tablet.  If you install the BubbleUPnP Server software the proxy is done by that server and not the BubbleUPnP software running on the tablet.  To leverage BubbleUPnP Server you will need BubbleUPnP DS client or Linn Kazoo or equivalent client.  I use regular BubbleUPnP client and I am not noticing any degradation in sound quality.
  4. That is my understanding on how SuperSonic works but I am not 100% sure.  Maybe @Geoffrey Armstrong can help clarify.

There are potentially three other options that might come into play over the next couple of months:

• Audirvana client on Mac/Windows as a front end to connect to Qobuz to stream to HQPlayer Embedded.  This is available now and you can download a free trial for both HQPe and Audirvana and try it out.
  • Qobuz has plans to integrate DLNA/UPnP in their client which is currently in beta but it is not consistent yet.
  • According to rumors there is potential that Roon might add support for Qobuz

In both cases UPnP and Supersonic (when not using UPnP) you are just passing the URL to HQPlayer, which takes care of streaming the music from Qobuz (or Tidal).

So when using BubbleUPnP or mconnect (on IOS) you can stream Qobuz high-rez up to 192khz (with the right Qobuz subscription). So no, you are not streaming that or any other music over WiFi, just posting on the URL.

The difference between BubbleUPnP and Supersonic is which application is responsible for…

1/ One fetching the URLs

2/ Managing play queue's

3/ Providing remote control

In the case of BubbleUPnP and mconect these apps perform all 3 of those functions

In the case of Supersonic…

1/ The url is fetched by the Qobuz add-on for Kodi

2/ The play queue is managed by Kodi/Supersonic as Supersonic intercepts these URLs in order to pass them to HQPlayer

3/ You can use any of the remote apps available for Kodi, including the free official remote.

Finally Supersonic also supports the UPnP method. Since HQPlayer Desktop does not support UPnP itself, we need a surrogate UPnP renderer. This can be Kodi when this feature is turned on in Kodi.

In that case 1,2 and 3 are still performed by BubbleUPnP or mconnect, with Kodi acting as the surrogate UPnP renderer which then permits Supersonic to, again, intercept the URLs and pass them to HQPlayer.

I hope that makes it a bit clearer.

Geoff

btw, I tried A+ as a UPnP server to HQPlayer. It didn't work at the time I tried it and I believe Miska pointed out that it could be due to A+'s implementation of UPnP.  I had some problems with static playing through the speakers after the first track.

1 hour ago, Geoffrey Armstrong said:

btw, I tried A+ as a UPnP server to HQPlayer. It didn't work at the time I tried it and I believe Miska pointed out that it could be due to A+'s implementation of UPnP.  I had some problems with static playing through the speakers after the first track.

With latest A+ version and latest HQPlayer Embedded, things seem to work just fine. I've played fair amount of music from A+ to HQPE using HQPE's built-in UPnP support, no problems. A+ seems to have made some improvements while I also fixed one issue in my code. So you could now test again through Kodi too.

Signalyst - Developer of HQPlayer

Pulse & Fidelity - Software Defined Amplifiers

6 minutes ago, Miska said:

With latest A+ version and latest HQPlayer Embedded, things seem to work just fine. I've played fair amount of music from A+ to HQPE using HQPE's built-in UPnP support, no problems. A+ seems to have made some improvements while I also fixed one issue in my code. So you could now test again through Kodi too.

That's great to hear, thanks.

Using HQPlayer Desktop and Kodi as a surrogate renderer, that would give us one more option for local files and Qobuz/Tidal, in addition to the existing options of mconnect and BubbleUPnP.

Will test!

1 hour ago, shadowlight said:

That is my understanding that it is proxied by the tablet.  If you install the BubbleUPnP Server software the proxy is done by that server and not the BubbleUPnP software running on the tablet.  To leverage BubbleUPnP Server you will need BubbleUPnP DS client or Linn Kazoo or equivalent client.  I use regular BubbleUPnP client and I am not noticing any degradation in sound quality.

At least for Tidal and local Media Servers, HQPlayer Embedded is streaming straight from Tidal or Server, not through the device running UPnP Control Point.

1 hour ago, Geoffrey Armstrong said:

In both cases UPnP and Supersonic (when not using UPnP) you are just passing the URL to HQPlayer, which takes care of streaming the music from Qobuz (or Tidal).

So when using BubbleUPnP or mconnect (on IOS) you can stream Qobuz high-rez up to 192khz (with the right Qobuz subscription). So no, you are not streaming that or any other music over WiFi, just posting on the URL.

Learned something new today.  I will have to check my BubbleUPnP setup to see why I am seeing proxy messages in HQPe logs, similar to "http://10.19.67.111:57645/proxy/qobuz/4821328EE5E01DE7F67A78133F09F554.flac".  The IP 10.19.67.111 is my Android device.  I thought I had disabled proxy settings on the Android 

12 hours ago, Miska said:

Any chance of A+ becoming available as an App on the Sonic Transporter?

10 minutes ago, alcarp said:

Any chance of A+ becoming available as an App on the Sonic Transporter?

I really cannot comment about sonicTransporter features, as I have no say on it. But if you use HQPlayer Embedded on ST, I don't see point in having A+ on the same machine, you can run it on ordinary Mac instead like I do. If you want to replace HQPE with A+, then you need to talk to Damien and Andrew...

Thank you very much @shadowlight, @Geoffrey Armstrong and @Miska for your detailed responses.

- So, I understand (summarize) that an UPnP renderer is integrated in HQPlayer embedded and this renderer is streaming straight from Tidal or Server, or Qobuz, not through the device running UPnP Control Point (BubbleUpNp on my android phone/tablet). This is good to know.  

- When Qobuz has integrated DLNA/UPnP in their client (in the 'near' future...), we can directly use this Qobuz app to control the UPnP renderer in HQPlayer.

Then, HQPlayer embedded (not bootable) has the flexibility to use Cuda support, but I need to install an OS first. Although I am not planning to install a powerful video card, I like to have the flexibility to do so.  

- For OS, we can use Audiolinux instead of Ubuntu LTS for its turn key character and good support by @hifi25nl. Audiolinux also supports Cuda. This OS/support sounds helpful for a linux newbie like me. 

- The other route requires Kodi as a UPnP renderer for HQPlayer Desktop on Windows and SuperSonic manages the 'play queue' and can even be an UPnP control point. I suppose this route is optimal if you already have the Desktop HQPlayer version on Windows and then you want to stream Qobuz/Tidal. 

6 hours ago, PieterP said:

Thank you very much @shadowlight, @Geoffrey Armstrong and @Miska for your detailed responses.

- So, I understand (summarize) that an UPnP renderer is integrated in HQPlayer embedded and this renderer is streaming straight from Tidal or Server, or Qobuz, not through the device running UPnP Control Point (BubbleUpNp on my android phone/tablet). This is good to know.  

- When Qobuz has integrated DLNA/UPnP in their client (in the 'near' future...), we can directly use this Qobuz app to control the UPnP renderer in HQPlayer.

Then, HQPlayer embedded (not bootable) has the flexibility to use Cuda support, but I need to install an OS first. Although I am not planning to install a powerful video card, I like to have the flexibility to do so.  

- For OS, we can use Audiolinux instead of Ubuntu LTS for its turn key character and good support by @hifi25nl. Audiolinux also supports Cuda. This OS/support sounds helpful for a linux newbie like me. 

- The other route requires Kodi as a UPnP renderer for HQPlayer Desktop on Windows and SuperSonic manages the 'play queue' and can even be an UPnP control point. I suppose this route is optimal if you already have the Desktop HQPlayer version on Windows and then you want to stream Qobuz/Tidal. 

rhaaaa the good old days..?

1200px-CDP101a.jpg

PC audio /Roon + HQPLAYER / HOLO Spring 2 / / DIY AD1 SET tube amp  /  DIY Altec 2 way horn Speaker

3 hours ago, PieterP said:

Does my machine fingerprint change after CPU and/or videocard upgrades and do I have to buy a new HQPe license in such cases? 

If you change CPU it does change. If you change video card, add more RAM or change the HDD/SSD it doesn't (typical upgrades).

If you purchase a personal (named user) license, you can request for a new key - subject to review/evaluation when you've made hardware change. But if you don't request a new key too often, it is not a problem. So please settle with the new hardware first using trial mode.

On 9/8/2018 at 10:44 PM, Em2016 said:

JR's email address is here:

https://www.sonore.us/contact.html

This is (or was) Oppo USA's support email, you can try it:

[email protected] 

Now I'm using the iFi Pro iDSD - HQP with native DSD512.

With NAA (Jussi's NAA image) and ALSA mode (direct USB connected to HQP Embedded) I can play Native DSD512.

With the Rendu's there is static with native DSD mode. JR and Andrew are aware of this and the cause and they are aware of Jussi's kernel updates which fixes this, so they'll test and roll out the update in due course. Jussi's images obviously already incorporate his kernel updates.

I completely understand why Sonore want to test out Jussi's linux kernel updates properly before they roll out the updates, because they have a lot of Rendu's in the field. This might or might not be related to your issues but if it is, just give them some time.

Thank you again Em2016. I already contacted everyone. Let's wait. ?

Jensen VRD-iFF>Router>Rj45>opticalModule>
SFP>Buffalo2016>SFP>opticalModule >Rj45>

IZen Mk3>Rj45> Delock62619>Rj45>
etherRegen (Master Clock+ Mini-Circuits BLP)>SFP>opticalRendu>USB>IsoRegen>

USB>Phoenix>USB>OPPO 205 (Modded)>HMS “the Perfect Match”>Proac Tablette Reference 8 Signature.

@Miska just saw the release of version 3.24 and the new 2 stage "filter poly-sinc-ext2 for SDM".  Can you please explain briefly why this filter is specifically for SDM?  How does it differ from poly-sinc-xtr-mp (my current favorite)?

12TB NAS >> i7-6700 Server/Control PC >> i3-5015u NAA >> Singxer SU-1 DDC (modded) >> Holo Spring L3 DAC >> Accustic Arts Power 1 int amp >> Sonus Faber Guaneri Evolution speakers + REL T/5i sub (x2)

Other components:

UpTone Audio LPS1.2/IsoRegen, Fiber Switch and FMC, Windows Server 2016 OS, Audiophile Optimizer 3.0, Fidelizer Pro 6, HQ Player, Roonserver, PS Audio P3 AC regenerator, HDPlex 400W ATX & 200W Linear PSU, Light Harmonic Lightspeed Split USB cable, Synergistic Research Tungsten AC power cords, Tara Labs The One speaker cables, Tara Labs The Two Extended with HFX Station IC, Oyaide R1 outlets, Stillpoints Ultra Mini footers, Hi-Fi Tuning fuses, Vicoustic/RealTraps/GIK room treatments

2 hours ago, tboooe said:

@Miska just saw the release of version 3.24 and the new 2 stage "filter poly-sinc-ext2 for SDM".  Can you please explain briefly why this filter is specifically for SDM?  How does it differ from poly-sinc-xtr-mp (my current favorite)?

It is not just for SDM, it is also for PCM. What I meant is that for SDM it is always two stage "-2s", but with different intermediate rate (16x) than other -2s filters (8+x). It is different design than xtr filters and a little bit shorter one, and currently linear-phase only.

RedBook to 16x response looks like this:

poly-sinc-ext.thumb.png.fd46adabd5474b2e6cf7aa65f6e58a5f.png