IGNORED

HQ Player

You have got the sample rate and output format options in main HQP window set either both to auto or specifically to SDM and 11289600 (for 256)?

Hi Norton, under sample rate, my only options under the dropdown are: Auto, 2822400, 3072000, 5644800, and 6144000. SDM(DSD) selected.

Hi Norton, under sample rate, my only options under the dropdown are: Auto, 2822400, 3072000, 5644800, and 6144000. SDM(DSD) selected.

Well I don't know the answer, but that narrows down the problem. I take it the Mytek is supposed to accept DSD256? Your result suggests HQP sees it as limited to 128.

Well I don't know the answer, but that narrows down the problem. I take it the Mytek is supposed to accept DSD256? Your result suggests HQP sees it as limited to 128.

Yes, Mytek supports DSD256 natively. I can play native DSD256 files through Roon and JRiver natively but I don't use DoP. I don't know if that can have something to do with it, but I will keep on trying. I like the sound of HQPlayer and I want to be able to play DSD256 via it as well.

Yes, Mytek supports DSD256 natively. I can play native DSD256 files through Roon and JRiver natively but I don't use DoP. I don't know if that can have something to do with it, but I will keep on trying. I like the sound of HQPlayer and I want to be able to play DSD256 via it as well.

You've tried ASIO (i.e possibly native)? So what rates do you get when you set HQP to SDM pack NONE (i.e not DoP)?

One last suggestion. Probably won't help but no harm trying. Under settings set buffer to default then under tools>Asio control panel, set the driver buffer to maximum possible value and see what happens.

You've tried ASIO (i.e possibly native)? So what rates do you get when you set HQP to SDM pack NONE (i.e not DoP)?

Hi ted_b, I just tried unchecking SDM Pack and that got me DSD256, Thank you for the suggestion. I knew it had to be something simple that I was either doing or not doing. For the forum, thank you everyone for your responses. What I figured out through this is that my DAC needs to see native rate files and does not have enough headroom to upsample DSD256 over DoP.

One last suggestion. Probably won't help but no harm trying. Under settings set buffer to default then under tools>Asio control panel, set the driver buffer to maximum possible value and see what happens.

Thanks for your help Norton. ted_b figured it out for me. It was something stupid on my part (Unchecking SDM Pack), but through this I did discover that my DAC does not support DSD256 over DoP. I am happily listening to a DSD256 file natively via HQPlayer.

Hi ted_b, I just tried unchecking SDM Pack and that got me DSD256, Thank you for the suggestion. I knew it had to be something simple that I was either doing or not doing. For the forum, thank you everyone for your responses. What I figured out through this is that my DAC needs to see native rate files and does not have enough headroom to upsample DSD256 over DoP.

You're welcome. Realize that DoP should always be a fall back position; always first try native (custom ASIO driver or Linux firmware/code certification). And the reason DSD256 doesn't work in DoP is not your headroom but simply the fact that it requires 24/705k to be the carrier, and if the dac mfg does not feel that rate is doable or stable enough for DoP it won't be there.

BTW< I hate to use "native" as I've written before. Heck, DoP is native in that there is no conversion to or from PCM, but it has become common parlance to call raw direct DSD (i.e non-DoP) native, as if to call DoP non-native? Argh.

Thanks for your help Norton. ted_b figured it out for me. It was something stupid on my part (Unchecking SDM Pack), but through this I did discover that my DAC does not support DSD256 over DoP. I am happily listening to a DSD256 file natively via HQPlayer.

Glad you have it sorted.

You're welcome. Realize that DoP should always be a fall back position; always first try native (custom ASIO driver or Linux firmware/code certification). And the reason DSD256 doesn't work in DoP is not your headroom but simply the fact that it requires 24/705k to be the carrier, and if the dac mfg does not feel that rate is doable or stable enough for DoP it won't be there.

BTW< I hate to use "native" as I've written before. Heck, DoP is native in that there is no conversion to or from PCM, but it has become common parlance to call raw direct DSD (i.e non-DoP) native, as if to call DoP non-native? Argh.

Raw DSD256 (aka native) uses a USB carrier rate of 24/352.8 Khz. DSD256 DOP needs 24/705.6 khz to carry the DOP header. The Brooklyn DAC USB port is limited to 384 khz so won't handle the extra data rate for needed for DSD256 DOP.

Here is the table of DSD, PCM and USB speeds from the XMOS USB documentation.

DSD speed=DSD Sample rate=Equiv. PCM data rate=DOP data rate

64 fs=2.8224 MSPS= 88200 Hz=176400 Hz

128 fs=5.6558 MSPS=176400 Hz=352800 Hz

256 fs 11.2896 MSPS 352800 Hz 705600 Hz

Doubling the last line gives us DSD512 speeds.

Pareto Audio aka nuckleheadaudio

Raw DSD256 (aka native) uses a USB carrier rate of 24/352.8 Khz. DSD256 DOP needs 24/705.6 khz to carry the DOP header. The Brooklyn DAC USB port is limited to 384 khz so won't handle the extra data rate for needed for DSD256 DOP.

Sorry, I assume you knew I knew enough to round the DoP rate to 24/705k, when in fact you are right, it is 24/705.6k. I was simply trying to make a point that it had nothing to do with headroom per se. Also, sometimes DAC companies like Mytek (as per the Stereo192) publishes USB max PCM rates but is willing to support DoP that requires a higher DoP rate than published. Hence why Dop DSD128 was supported with the Stereo192 (requiring 24/352.8k for the header) when in fact only 24/192 was published as the USB PCM max. The 24/352.8k was not in spec enough or stable enough to publish it for music use on that Dac..

Thank you and thanks for the help. And thank you for the background on "Native DSD." Very good information to be aware of.

Sorry, I assume you knew I knew enough to round the DoP rate to 24/705k, when in fact you are right, it is 24/705.6k. I was simply trying to make a point that it had nothing to do with headroom per se. Also, sometimes DAC companies like Mytek (as per the Stereo192) publishes USB max PCM rates but is willing to support DoP that requires a higher DoP rate than published. Hence why Dop DSD128 was supported with the Stereo192 (requiring 24/352.8k for the header) when in fact only 24/192 was published as the USB PCM max. The 24/352.8k was not in spec enough or stable enough to publish it for music use on that Dac..

Hi Ted,

Yes of course, I knew you knew this stuff. But for others it seemed useful to show the table.

Your observation about the older Mytek DAC is interesting.

Thanks,

Larry

Pareto Audio aka nuckleheadaudio

Hi Ted,

Yes of course, I knew you knew this stuff. But for others it seemed useful to show the table.

Your observation about the older Mytek DAC is interesting.

Thanks,

Larry

Oops my bad, I read your post quickly and then clearly phrased it wrong and made you think I discounted your post. Yes, the whole "native DSD needs only half the rate" is very interesting. BTW, on the Mytek example, it's how I remember a discussion with Michal, but I am not sure I have everything technically right. It was surprising that there were two standards, of sorts.

Hi All,

Thanks to the latest beta7, I'm able to down-mix my 5.1 DSD files. I'm using the Matrix pipeline to do that and I have a couple of questions.

-1- About the relationship between source chan and mix chan, I assume the following:

Source 1 is L -> Mix 1

Source 2 is R -> Mix 2

Source 3 is C -> Mix 1 and Mix 2

Source 4 is LB -> Mix 1

Source 5 is RB -> Mix 2

Source 6 is SW -> Mix 1 and Mix 2

Is this correct ?

-2- About the Gain column between Source and Mix, at the moment I've just set -10db to every relationship.

Are there some recommended values to down-mix the channels?

Thank you for your help

Massimo

-1- About the relationship between source chan and mix chan, I assume the following:

Source 1 is L -> Mix 1

Source 2 is R -> Mix 2

Source 3 is C -> Mix 1 and Mix 2

Source 4 is LB -> Mix 1

Source 5 is RB -> Mix 2

Source 6 is SW -> Mix 1 and Mix 2

No, the standard channel layout is following:

1 - Left

2 - Right

3 - Center

4 - LFE

5 - Rear left

6 - Rear right

-2- About the Gain column between Source and Mix, at the moment I've just set -10db to every relationship.

Are there some recommended values to down-mix the channels?

Yes, check the manual page about matrix processing for correct gain values for (5.0) mix-down. :)

In movies LFE is commonly at -10 dB level to have extra headroom for loud explosions and such. Some multichannel material follow this spec while other material doesn't. So I've omitted LFE channel mixdown from the example in the manual. You should get good results with music witout LFE channel. In fact, most content is 5.0 anyway.

Signalyst - Developer of HQPlayer

Pulse & Fidelity - Software Defined Amplifiers

Now you are omitting the DoP 1.1 spec and sticking to spec version 1.0.

So you can do with DSD128 with 176.4/192k PCM rate and DSD256 with 352.8/384k PCM rate and so on.

So I can do DSD128 (both 5.6448 MHz and 6.144 MHz rates) to my Mytek Stereo192-DSD DAC over Firewire, perfectly fine, although it is PCM rate limited to max 192 kHz. :) Works fine on both Mac OS X and Linux. In fact, it is still my primary testing DAC for OS X, connected to my iMac over Firewire using Apple's Thunderbolt-to-Firewire adapter.

I have not checked, but I believe this could also work with certain dCS DACs when using AES connection. In fact, it is sort of extension of the already de-facto AES specs.

Downloaded latest beta version.When I click on full screen it is blank except for top of screen showing me as registered version ? Also noticed with beta version when Hqplayer is opening the screen is just white then goes into Hqplayer main screen.When opening up in regular version the screen will show a screen with it saying Hqplayer before going to the main window ?
Downloaded latest beta version.When I click on full screen it is blank except for top of screen showing me as registered version ? Also noticed with beta version when Hqplayer is opening the screen is just white then goes into Hqplayer main screen.When opening up in regular version the screen will show a screen with it saying Hqplayer before going to the main window ?

This happens if OpenGL is not available/functional.

This is known to happen on Ubuntu 14.04 LTS for different reason, but it is expected to work on Ubuntu 16.04 LTS, at least once HQPlayer has been rebuilt on it (not yet, pending the driver/CUDA updates from Nvidia to support 16.04).

Hi Miska - Idly thinking about trying TrueOS (a FreeBSD-Current fork, see https://www.trueos.org/more-on-trueos/), wondering what sort of effort would be involved in making an HQPlayer build that would run on *BSD, and whether you would be even the tiniest bit interested in doing so. :)

One never knows, do one? - Fats Waller

The fairest thing we can experience is the mysterious. It is the fundamental emotion which stands at the cradle of true art and true science. - Einstein

Computer, Audirvana -> optical Ethernet to Fitlet3 -> Fibbr Alpha Optical USB -> iFi NEO iDSD DAC -> Apollon Audio 1ET400A Mini (Purifi based) -> Vandersteen 3A Signature.