IGNORED

Auralic Aries UPnP Renderer: Double DSD Over Wi-Fi

Ted and I are coordinating reviews.

I have something in mind that may be kind of fun. Similar to how the Discovery Channel has Shark Week, CA may have Aries Week. Videos, two "formal" reviews, maybe a guest review or two, etc...

I can't believe I'm saying this......but......it sounds like fun to me!

Wang actually halfway promised that he would try to put together an informal youtube tutorial or "run through" of the Aries when things calmed down. Guessing things are far from calm for him right now...but Chris, you might be able to gently inquire about his intentions on this. Seems like it would be a win-win.

I live in Raleigh, NC, anyone know where the best dealer location might be ?

I don't know of a dealer that is close to Raleigh who carries Auralic, but I know long time Computer Audiophile supporter and advertiser The Audio Salon is an Auralic dealer. It would be great if readers can support those who support this site.

Founder of Audiophile Style | My Audio Systems AudiophileStyleStickerWhite2.0.png AudiophileStyleStickerWhite7.1.4.png

+10000

I would love to get the $1600 Aries instead of spending twice as much building a full blown CAPS and purchasing a high end USB converter.

You need a media file server for the Aries, hopefully the next CAPs model will be oriented towards a "turbo charged" file server. I am skeptical that off the shelf NAS's with minimal CPU and RAM are the right end game for a media server.

Regards,

Dave

Audio system

I don't know of a dealer that is close to Raleigh who carries Auralic, but I know long time Computer Audiophile supporter and advertiser The Audio Salon is an Auralic dealer. It would be great if readers can support those who support this site.

Always a good idea, will do so.

Edit, their site does not show Auralric as a product they carry, guess I can contact them.

rogerdn

You need a media file server for the Aries, hopefully the next CAPs model will be oriented towards a "turbo charged" file server. I am skeptical that off the shelf NAS's with minimal CPU and RAM are the right end game for a media server.

Wait a sec...I can't point the Aries to the NAS on my network and stream music directly? I need to have a PC access the NAS and the Aries access the PC? That's a total bummer.

12TB NAS >> i7-6700 Server/Control PC >> i3-5015u NAA >> Singxer SU-1 DDC (modded) >> Holo Spring L3 DAC >> Accustic Arts Power 1 int amp >> Sonus Faber Guaneri Evolution speakers + REL T/5i sub (x2)

Other components:

UpTone Audio LPS1.2/IsoRegen, Fiber Switch and FMC, Windows Server 2016 OS, Audiophile Optimizer 3.0, Fidelizer Pro 6, HQ Player, Roonserver, PS Audio P3 AC regenerator, HDPlex 400W ATX & 200W Linear PSU, Light Harmonic Lightspeed Split USB cable, Synergistic Research Tungsten AC power cords, Tara Labs The One speaker cables, Tara Labs The Two Extended with HFX Station IC, Oyaide R1 outlets, Stillpoints Ultra Mini footers, Hi-Fi Tuning fuses, Vicoustic/RealTraps/GIK room treatments

Wait a sec...I can't point the Aries to the NAS on my network and stream music directly? I need to have a PC access the NAS and the Aries access the PC? That's a total bummer.

You do not need a PC.

NAS plus a UPnP music server such as Minimserver running on the NAS. In example, I have a Synology NAS, I have already installed JAVA (required for Minimserver) and Minimserver on it in advance of receiving the Aires.

Silver Circle Audio | Roon | Devialet | Synology | Vivid Audio | Stillpoint Aperture | Auralic | DH Labs

Well, having Minimserver running on the NAS doesn't appear to be a big deal, it is pretty much set and forget. Is there a nuance I am missing?

There after you control it with your iPad.

Silver Circle Audio | Roon | Devialet | Synology | Vivid Audio | Stillpoint Aperture | Auralic | DH Labs

Can't you play a folder directly on the NAS ? how disappointing !

I thought you won't need a UPNP server to use the Aries

The idea is that you load the UPnP on you NAS and run it from there; in a few months they have said they will add a feature that lets you read files directly from a USB HD attached to the Aries.

Main listening (small home office):

Main setup: Surge protectors +>Isol-8 Mini sub Axis Power Strip/Protection>QuietPC Low Noise Server>Roon (Audiolense DRC)>Stack Audio Link II>Kii Control>Kii Three BXT (on their own electric circuit) >GIK Room Treatments.

Secondary Path: Server with Audiolense RC>RPi4 or analog>Cayin iDAC6 MKII (tube mode) (XLR)>Kii Three BXT

Bedroom: SBTouch to Cambridge Soundworks Desktop Setup.
Living Room/Kitchen: Ropieee (RPi3b+ with touchscreen) + Schiit Modi3E to a pair of Morel Hogtalare. 

All absolute statements about audio are false :)

I don't understand one thing... On PC running JRiver I can point to whichever path I want (Internal HD, NAS, USB attached) and JRiver builds the library and if tagging is done properly everything functions like a charm.

Now, why is so hard to make a device that will have everything inside (hardware + software) I just attach ethernet connection, point to NAS, other end to DAC, take my iPad and sit down?

I don't understand one thing... On PC running JRiver I can point to whichever path I want (Internal HD, NAS, USB attached) and JRiver builds the library and if tagging is done properly everything functions like a charm.

Now, why is so hard to make a device that will have everything inside (hardware + software) I just attach ethernet connection, point to NAS, other end to DAC, take my iPad and sit down?

I would like to know too.

There are some that do, but they don't deliver as good as Jriver. These pages are not exactly awash with copious comments from MPD platforms. The closest to a music appliance now is the Sony HAP-Z1ES, the demand for such a device has truly exceeded expectations.

AS Profile Equipment List        Say NO to MQA

If the Audio Salon doesn't work out, I had good luck just going to the dealer map on Auralic's website. I checked out a few dealer websites, sent out a few "feeler" emails, and a couple of them responded with very thoughtful informative personal responses....I narrowed down from there and pre-ordered one that will be shipped to me as soon as he gets mine. And let's hope soon!!

?..in a few months they have said they will add a feature that lets you read files directly from a USB HD attached to the Aries.

but it still sounds like the Aries won't be able to play directly from my NAS without the need for some server software.

Agreed 1000%! While loading server software on my NAS is not really a big deal it's just something else to consider for the potential buyer.

12TB NAS >> i7-6700 Server/Control PC >> i3-5015u NAA >> Singxer SU-1 DDC (modded) >> Holo Spring L3 DAC >> Accustic Arts Power 1 int amp >> Sonus Faber Guaneri Evolution speakers + REL T/5i sub (x2)

Other components:

UpTone Audio LPS1.2/IsoRegen, Fiber Switch and FMC, Windows Server 2016 OS, Audiophile Optimizer 3.0, Fidelizer Pro 6, HQ Player, Roonserver, PS Audio P3 AC regenerator, HDPlex 400W ATX & 200W Linear PSU, Light Harmonic Lightspeed Split USB cable, Synergistic Research Tungsten AC power cords, Tara Labs The One speaker cables, Tara Labs The Two Extended with HFX Station IC, Oyaide R1 outlets, Stillpoints Ultra Mini footers, Hi-Fi Tuning fuses, Vicoustic/RealTraps/GIK room treatments

Loading a bit of software (typically included on mainstream NAS devices such as Synology) on one's NAS is even more simple than was the original NAS setup, choice of RAID, transferring of files, creating a shared music folder, etc. If you got so far as to create a NAS with your managed/curated music collection, this is no big deal.

This is Computer Audiophile, isn't it? For a second there I thought I was on the SONOS forum... ;-)

Positive emotions enhance our musical experiences.

Synology DS213+ NAS -> Auralic Vega w/Linear Power Supply -> Auralic Vega DAC (Symposium Jr rollerball isolation) -> XLR -> Auralic Taurus Pre -> XLR -> Pass Labs XA-30.5 power amplifier (on 4" maple and 4 Stillpoints) -> Hawthorne Audio Reference K2 Speakers in MTM configuration (Symposium Jr HD rollerball isolation) and Hawthorne Audio Bass Augmentation Baffles (Symposium Jr rollerball isolation) -> Bi-amped w/ two Rythmic OB plate amps) -> Extensive Room Treatments (x2 SRL Acoustics Prime 37 diffusion plus key absorption and extensive bass trapping) and Pi Audio Uberbuss' for the front end and amplification

Loading a bit of software (typically included on mainstream NAS devices such as Synology) on one's NAS is even more simple than was the original NAS setup, choice of RAID, transferring of files, creating a shared music folder, etc. If you got so far as to create a NAS with your managed/curated music collection, this is no big deal.

This is Computer Audiophile, isn't it? For a second there I thought I was on the SONOS forum... ;-)

Ha ha ha! Well said! I guess my issue is that my NAS is pretty old (Thecus N4100 Pro) so I am not even sure it's up to the task! Like I need another reason to upgrade yet another component in my audio system!!! Must stay away from Aries!!! :)

Other components:

It isn't big deal, and I think that at least in near future I won't be switching my PC as source. Because I have full control of everything. But if we are talking about devices like this ARIES, would be good idea to complement it to my PC, because anyhow I have my music backed up on NAS, would be convenient for times when the PC is off, to use ARIES pointing to NAS without any UPnP stuff. So far my experience with UPnP is not good. Albums, tags, artwork not showing right, and not be able to do something to correct it.

If the Audio Salon doesn't work out, I had good luck just going to the dealer map on Auralic's website. I checked out a few dealer websites, sent out a few "feeler" emails, and a couple of them responded with very thoughtful informative personal responses....I narrowed down from there and pre-ordered one that will be shipped to me as soon as he gets mine. And let's hope soon!!

Thks for the suggestion, I have exchanged couple e mails with them, good start.

rogerdn

Update:

7:42 AM On FedEx vehicle for delivery

incredibly jealous and excited!!!!!!!!!!!

Other components: