IGNORED

Auralic Aries UPnP Renderer: Double DSD Over Wi-Fi

Update:

7:42 AM On FedEx vehicle for delivery

I can beat that! 6:30am On FedEx vehicle for delivery. LOL!

Of course we won't have the beta app till morning, so not sure how far we can take this. Anyway, it's fun. :)

You could test it's openness to other apps...Lumin should do the trick...

Yes, I will use Lumin and/or Kinsky for the time being, and my front end (of my dual JRiver/jplay regualr day-to-day setup) is a JRiver DLNA server. I will later fire up Minimserver on my 1513+ too.

The beta app will be delivered to us by morning, certificate and all. :) I guess they don't need my UDID but I sent it to them, regardless.

I don't understand one thing... On PC running JRiver I can point to whichever path I want (Internal HD, NAS, USB attached) and JRiver builds the library and if tagging is done properly everything functions like a charm.

Now, why is so hard to make a device that will have everything inside (hardware + software) I just attach ethernet connection, point to NAS, other end to DAC, take my iPad and sit down?

Hi,

When you access to your NAS directly from your PC it uses a specific network protocol so you can browse files on your NAS. UPNP is another protocol, dedicated to access multimedia files on the network : it has been invented to simplify connection between all heterogeneous home's devices so you don't need to know network information as IP address, you don't need to build complex configuration to connect together Apple OS, Windows OS, Android OS, Smartphone, Camera, etc...

With UPNP, all devices from all brands compatible with UPNP can talk together and share multimedia files., without network configuration knowledge.

The good thing is that Aries should be compatible with USB key or external hard drive : so you loose the media files share capability in your home but you don't need to buy a NAS.

The USB hard drive connected to the Aries will behave like a NAS, so you can share music files from that USB hard drive with other Aries you may buy, wirelessly through out the house.

2 Ch stereo

Auralic Aries>Wireworld AES>Kitsune Holo Spring DAC L3>Van Den Hul-The Second balance cable>Sonic Euphoria (fully balance autoformer)>Van Den Hul-The Second balance cable>D-Sonic M3-1200S-A (Anaview AMS1000-2600)>Synergistic Tesla Accelerator cable>Ohm 3000 speakers plus Omni Harmonizer super tweeter

Damn you beat me :~)

My FedEx guy hasn't arrived yet!

I'll call you shortly Ted.

Ted / Chris,

With all this build up to the Aries arrival, you must post some first impressions ASAP. There's the whole CA community waiting to hear how she looks, sounds, behaves, sings, dances, etc. It will be greatly appreciated by the masses. Thanks!

Yes, I will use Lumin and/or Kinsky for the time being, and my front end (of my dual JRiver/jplay regualr day-to-day setup) is a JRiver DLNA server. I will later fire up Minimserver on my 1513+ too.

The beta app will be delivered to us by morning, certificate and all. :) I guess they don't need my UDID but I sent it to them, regardless.

Too bad, Aries is not Squeezebox compatible, it would have been plug and play for music files and web radios as appz for Ipad and Android already exist. Hopefully in the near futur smile.png

join the resistance

Update:

After a couple of silly user error issues (like not having my main amps on!!!!! :) ) I have the following:

* Aries was easily found by Kinsky, as was my JRiver DLNA server

* After rebooting my Hugo it sees the Aries via USB; however it saw only 44k (red lighted output)

* Chris and I discussed JRiver and DLNA and he walked me through setting up the secondary options correctly (see below; we agreed we need to update the JRiver tutorials). No wonder the Hugo saw 44k, I had it set for Mp3. :)

dlna settings.jpg

* Now all is well and Aries passes all sample rates, including DSD128. Note: day one I am wired ethernet.

So far everything is playing nicely; no dropouts, no noise.

Really cool to know that basically, it does work as promised. The devil is in the details, but that is a good start.

Thanks, Ted and Chris

Update:

After a couple of silly user error issues (like not having my main amps on!!!!! :) ) I have the following:

* Aries was easily found by Kinsky, as was my JRiver DLNA server

* After rebooting my Hugo it sees the Aries via USB; however it saw only 44k (red lighted output)

* Chris and I discussed JRiver and DLNA and he walked me through setting up the secondary options correctly (see below; we agreed we need to update the JRiver tutorials). No wonder the Hugo saw 44k, I had it set for Mp3. :)

[ATTACH=CONFIG]13519[/ATTACH]

* Now all is well and Aries passes all sample rates, including DSD128. Note: day one I am wired ethernet.

So far everything is playing nicely; no dropouts, no noise.

Main listening (small home office):

Main setup: Surge protectors +>Isol-8 Mini sub Axis Power Strip/Protection>QuietPC Low Noise Server>Roon (Audiolense DRC)>Stack Audio Link II>Kii Control>Kii Three BXT (on their own electric circuit) >GIK Room Treatments.

Secondary Path: Server with Audiolense RC>RPi4 or analog>Cayin iDAC6 MKII (tube mode) (XLR)>Kii Three BXT

Bedroom: SBTouch to Cambridge Soundworks Desktop Setup.
Living Room/Kitchen: Ropieee (RPi3b+ with touchscreen) + Schiit Modi3E to a pair of Morel Hogtalare. 

All absolute statements about audio are false :)

aside from sound quality would love to see how this performs via wireless.

12TB NAS >> i7-6700 Server/Control PC >> i3-5015u NAA >> Singxer SU-1 DDC (modded) >> Holo Spring L3 DAC >> Accustic Arts Power 1 int amp >> Sonus Faber Guaneri Evolution speakers + REL T/5i sub (x2)

Other components:

UpTone Audio LPS1.2/IsoRegen, Fiber Switch and FMC, Windows Server 2016 OS, Audiophile Optimizer 3.0, Fidelizer Pro 6, HQ Player, Roonserver, PS Audio P3 AC regenerator, HDPlex 400W ATX & 200W Linear PSU, Light Harmonic Lightspeed Split USB cable, Synergistic Research Tungsten AC power cords, Tara Labs The One speaker cables, Tara Labs The Two Extended with HFX Station IC, Oyaide R1 outlets, Stillpoints Ultra Mini footers, Hi-Fi Tuning fuses, Vicoustic/RealTraps/GIK room treatments

I thought Aries wouldn't work with JRiver? Or am I confused?

As I understand it, Aries need some sort of server to get the info. So the server can be a PC or some server software loaded on your NAS. This is one area where I was hoping I could just point Aries to the NAS on my network and have it work.

12TB NAS >> i7-6700 Server/Control PC >> i3-5015u NAA >> Singxer SU-1 DDC (modded) >> Holo Spring L3 DAC >> Accustic Arts Power 1 int amp >> Sonus Faber Guaneri Evolution speakers + REL T/5i sub (x2)

Other components:

UpTone Audio LPS1.2/IsoRegen, Fiber Switch and FMC, Windows Server 2016 OS, Audiophile Optimizer 3.0, Fidelizer Pro 6, HQ Player, Roonserver, PS Audio P3 AC regenerator, HDPlex 400W ATX & 200W Linear PSU, Light Harmonic Lightspeed Split USB cable, Synergistic Research Tungsten AC power cords, Tara Labs The One speaker cables, Tara Labs The Two Extended with HFX Station IC, Oyaide R1 outlets, Stillpoints Ultra Mini footers, Hi-Fi Tuning fuses, Vicoustic/RealTraps/GIK room treatments

Wait, so I can't just point it to my NAS?

You can if your NAS has a UPnP server (or you can install one such as MinimServer).

Eloise

Eloise

---

...in my opinion / experience...

While I agree "Everything may matter" working out what actually affects the sound is a trickier thing.

And I agree "Trust your ears" but equally don't allow them to fool you - trust them with a bit of skepticism.

keep your mind open... But mind your brain doesn't fall out.