IGNORED

Auralic Aries UPnP Renderer: Double DSD Over Wi-Fi

In trying to do DoP via toslink I found out my glass toslink cable was the culprit, but now, with the use of one of the generic black stock Hugo toslink cables, have DoP DSD (and 24/192) working via toslink. Add this to coax and USB.

I'm also streaming losslessly from Qobuz. Very nice! And Aries effortlessly switches from streaming to library mode, and back again.

Ted-

At some point if you have time could you confirm Aurilac's statement that the DSD(DoP) function works with the Mytek DAC? I know it's not an important request, but would help a group of us Mytek owners considering buying.

In trying to do DoP via toslink I found out my glass toslink cable was the culprit, but now, with the use of one of the generic black stock Hugo toslink cables, have DoP DSD (and 24/192) working via toslink. Add this to coax and USB.

I'm also streaming losslessly from Qobuz. Very nice! And Aries effortlessly switches from streaming to library mode, and back again.

Main listening (small home office):

Main setup: Surge protectors +>Isol-8 Mini sub Axis Power Strip/Protection>QuietPC Low Noise Server>Roon (Audiolense DRC)>Stack Audio Link II>Kii Control>Kii Three BXT (on their own electric circuit) >GIK Room Treatments.

Secondary Path: Server with Audiolense RC>RPi4 or analog>Cayin iDAC6 MKII (tube mode) (XLR)>Kii Three BXT

Bedroom: SBTouch to Cambridge Soundworks Desktop Setup.
Living Room/Kitchen: Ropieee (RPi3b+ with touchscreen) + Schiit Modi3E to a pair of Morel Hogtalare. 

All absolute statements about audio are false :)

Ted-

At some point if you have time could you confirm Aurilac's statement that the DSD(DoP) function works with the Mytek DAC? I know it's not an important request, but would help a group of us Mytek owners considering buying.

The Aries is probably Android-based (like Lumin), probably 4.2.2 jelly bean. Even though there exists a non-official Linux driver for Mytek, I don't think it will build for Android without modifying the code. It also depends on the Mytek firmware which I think is not possible to include (At least not without asking Mytek). Just my take.

Yay!

The Aries is probably Android-based (like Lumin), probably 4.2.2 jelly bean. Even though there exists a non-official Linux driver for Mytek, I don't think it will build for Android without modifying the code. It also depends on the Mytek firmware which I think is not possible to include (At least not without asking Mytek). Just my take.

The context is DoP over SPDIF, not USB and not necessarily Linux or Android. Note Ted's post referring to that.

Main listening (small home office):

Main setup: Surge protectors +>Isol-8 Mini sub Axis Power Strip/Protection>QuietPC Low Noise Server>Roon (Audiolense DRC)>Stack Audio Link II>Kii Control>Kii Three BXT (on their own electric circuit) >GIK Room Treatments.

Secondary Path: Server with Audiolense RC>RPi4 or analog>Cayin iDAC6 MKII (tube mode) (XLR)>Kii Three BXT

Bedroom: SBTouch to Cambridge Soundworks Desktop Setup.
Living Room/Kitchen: Ropieee (RPi3b+ with touchscreen) + Schiit Modi3E to a pair of Morel Hogtalare. 

All absolute statements about audio are false :)

? The Mytek responds well. DoP DSD over both SPDIF (coax) and AES (XLR) works fine with the Aries, as well as PCM up to 24/192.

? The Mytek responds well. DoP DSD over both SPDIF (coax) and AES (XLR) works fine with the Aries, as well as PCM up to 24/192.

Thanks, Ted. As firedog pointed out, this is an important factoid for us Mytek owners.

--David

Listening Room: Mac mini (Roon Core) > iMac (HQP) > exaSound PlayPoint (as NAA) > exaSound e32 > W4S STP-SE > Benchmark AHB2 > Wilson Sophia Series 2 (Details)

Office: Mac Pro >  AudioQuest DragonFly Red > JBL LSR305

Mobile: iPhone 6S > AudioQuest DragonFly Black > JH Audio JH5

I noticed on the Lightning app upper right hand corner, there is a Bluetooth symbol. Bluetooth being just a short distant wireless connection, I'm assuming the Bluetooth will be used in homes that do not have WiFi(or chose to not have WiFi) so that the Lightning app on the iPad can communicate directly with the Aries. The Aries in this case would have access to a NAS through ethernet or Hard Drive through USB connection. Can someone confirm this?

2 Ch stereo

Auralic Aries>Wireworld AES>Kitsune Holo Spring DAC L3>Van Den Hul-The Second balance cable>Sonic Euphoria (fully balance autoformer)>Van Den Hul-The Second balance cable>D-Sonic M3-1200S-A (Anaview AMS1000-2600)>Synergistic Tesla Accelerator cable>Ohm 3000 speakers plus Omni Harmonizer super tweeter

I don't believe the Auralic Aires supports control via the Lightning application over Bluetooth. Of course as Ted and Chris have the actual unit they are better qualified to answer. Or Mr. Wang of course.

Barr

Silver Circle Audio | Roon | Devialet | Synology | Vivid Audio | Stillpoint Aperture | Auralic | DH Labs

I would assume that bluetooth symbol was the iPad being used for the screenshots (i.e bluetooth connection was on and icon was showing). There is no bluetooth connectivity that I know of. The iPad needs wifi to be on the LAN, and the Aries needs ethernet or wifi.

I will test wifi this weekend ("n" to begin with; Chris has an ac router/gateway so he can test 80211.ac but 802.11n is possibly going to be enough for DSD128 anyway).

I'm really beginning to like the Lightning app a lot; we got a new version this morning and it seems a more stable (plus I now know where the consistent holes are, etc). Minimserver was never my favorite but through this app it is quite fine. The app is still having issues populating from a JRiver library so far, but it will be rectified. Stay tuned.

Thanks Ted for that info.

2 Ch stereo

Auralic Aries>Wireworld AES>Kitsune Holo Spring DAC L3>Van Den Hul-The Second balance cable>Sonic Euphoria (fully balance autoformer)>Van Den Hul-The Second balance cable>D-Sonic M3-1200S-A (Anaview AMS1000-2600)>Synergistic Tesla Accelerator cable>Ohm 3000 speakers plus Omni Harmonizer super tweeter

lets not start bad rumors here. Aries is not android based. It is using Linux so while android is a broadly speaking a variant of Linux, it is not Linux. As for the mytek, there is no need for blind guessing as to whether it will work or not. Search though this thread for discussion on it. Auralic has said while mytek is not native uac2 compatible and therefore compatible with Auralic, they are going to make it compatible around launch. Original poster was asking confirmation that this compatibility made it to the actual product that ted/Chris have.

As for the mytek, there is no need for blind guessing as to whether it will work or not. Search though this thread for discussion on it. Auralic has said while mytek is not native uac2 compatible and therefore compatible with Auralic, they are going to make it compatible around launch. Original poster was asking confirmation that this compatibility made it to the actual product that ted/Chris have.

Crashem, I already tested it yesterday with my own Mytek, and specifically told this thread that the Mytek works (post 1282). No need for more speculation or "they are going to make it compatible".

Waaaaaaay toooooooooo beta to comment :~)

Not even some impressions on sound quality?

Mac Mini / Pure Music > Firewire & USB > Metric Halo LIO-8 > Hypex NCORE 400 > Geddes Abbey Speakers > Rythmik Servo & Geddes Band Pass Subs // DH Labs Cables, HRS MXR Isolation Rack, PurePower 2000, Elgar 6006B

How is the layout and feel of Lightning compared with Lumin?

If it is anywhere near it is great.

The Aries is supposed to support OpenHome Media (ohMedia) aka UPnP with Linn extensions, so you should be able to use the Lumin app with it anyway for network streaming music files from a UPnP media server like MinimServer.

Come to think of it, it may be worth Chris or Ted testing this out, maybe trying out another ohMedia controller, such as the Kinsky app with the Aries too. Also a try out with a standard UPnP/DLNA supporting controller with it, eg, the excellent BubbleUPnP Android app, would be most welcome.

We are far more united and have far more in common with each other than things that divide us.

-- Jo Cox

The Aries is supposed to support OpenHome Media aka UPnP with Linn extensions, so you should be able to use the Lumin app with it anyway for network streaming music files from a UPnP media server like MinimServer.

Yes, this is correct.

This is also stated in the Auralic marketing material.

So I guess many of us are awaiting the verdict when controlling the Aries with the Lumin app.

It is free in the Apple store.

Indeed and Kinsky is free too plus the free version of BubbleUPnP should be good enough to test with (though I'm sure the Computer Audiophile test budget can cover the $5 for the full version license).

We are far more united and have far more in common with each other than things that divide us.

-- Jo Cox

Hi-rez, DSD and the convenience of electrical isolation. I like this idea more and more...

Hi-rez, DSD and the convenience of electrical isolation. I like this idea more and more...

Regarding isolation, the AES and Coax outputs on the Aries are transformer isolated, too.

Come to think of it, it may be worth Chris or Ted testing this out, maybe trying out another ohMedia controller, such as the Kinsky app with the Aries too. Also a try out with a standard UPnP/DLNA supporting controller with it, eg, the excellent BubbleUPnP Android app, would be most welcome.

? My first report here on this thread was with the Kinsky app, folks (posts 1218 and several after). As I said then (all of two days ago) it works fine; Kinsky just doesn't have the same search capabilities (as an example) as Lightning app, due to its nature. Lumin works too. I personally like the Lightning app navigation/look&feel better, but as Chris has stated, it is unfair to really compare right now cuz the Lightning app is not yet ready for prime time.

Mr. Wang and company were quite shrewd in sending the first two ARIES units to Ted_b and Chris. They knowingly got a pair of knowledgeable and influential beta testers and consultants for the cost of shipping 2 units out for review. When the Lightning app is finally ready for prime time we can all thank Ted_b and Chris. PS Audio and, I'm sure, others also send hardware and software to beta testers, the difference being that PSA folks, as already existing self-professed fans of the company's products, don't possess (or at least seem to profess) the same air of objectivity that reviewers like Ted_b and Chris have. With this post there's no bias or impropriety stated or implied for Ted_b and Chris, btw.

Pono has suggested that folks look to the CA website for information and discussion and, with this thread at 1299 posts and counting, the influence of CA in the audiophile marketplace is not lost on the folks at Auralic(after all, the reason companies send units for review in the first place). As much as I'd like to get my hands on the lightning app, I am quite content to wait a few weeks to have the app run smoothly when the ARIES is finally in my possession.

Esau