IGNORED

exaSound e18 - e20 - e28 - Info and Experiences Post All Here

The Corning cable has copper power leads within it just like any other USB cable. There is power on those when you plug into any normal USB jack at the PC end. It worked fine for me without doing anything special, except using a USB3 port instead of USB2 and an adaptor at the DAC end, as has been explained. You are overthinking it.

It is well known that available 5VBUS current at the far end of a Corning cable is extremely limited. To quote directly from Corning's main web page for the product:

"USB 3.Optical Cables by Corning are designed to be used with self-powered peripherals only. No significant power is available after powering its internal opto-electronics. A self-powered USB 3.0/2.0 hub can always be used at the peripheral (B-side) to provide power if desired."

That is why a great many Corning Optical USB cable owners use a REGEN (or similar) after the cable, before the DAC.

It is well known that available 5VBUS current at the far end of a Corning cable is extremely limited. To quote directly from Corning's main web page for the product:

"USB 3.Optical Cables by Corning are designed to be used with self-powered peripherals only. No significant power is available after powering its internal opto-electronics. A self-powered USB 3.0/2.0 hub can always be used at the peripheral (B-side) to provide power if desired."

That is why a great many Corning Optical USB cable owners use a REGEN (or similar) after the cable, before the DAC.

Right. However, the Exasound DACs are not powered by the USB connection. They have their own wall warts. And, while I did not use it extensively, it did work fine to my Exasound e28.

indeed. The 5V pin of the Corning can even be taped when using a Regen

I did not mention it before, but I am actually happier with the Exasound without the Regen. The Regen is out of my system. And, the Corning alone worked just fine without the Regen. But, the Corning is also out of my system in favor of a modest copper/silver metallic USB cable 5 meters long. My experiments with cables and extra boxes are done for now.

I did not mention it before, but I am actually happier with the Exasound without the Regen. The Regen is out of my system. And, the Corning alone worked just fine without the Regen. But, the Corning is also out of my system in favor of a modest copper/silver metallic USB cable 5 meters long. My experiments with cables and extra boxes are done for now.

How come you don't like the Regen?

P.S. 5 meters long USB cable?! I find 0.75m significantly better (soundwise) than 1.5m!

Triangle Magellan Concerto 2 < AQ Everest < Vitus Audio SS-010 Mk2 < AQ Dragon High Current < AQ WEL XLR < Chord Qutest DAC w UpTone JS-2 & AQ Dragon Source < AQ Diamond USB < Innuos Phoenix USB w AQ Dragon Source < Aurender N100H & AQ Dragon Source < NetGear GS105GE Switch w UpTone LPS1.2 < Supra CAT8 Ethernet < Gryphon PowerZone w AQ NRG-Wild < Stillpoints UltraSS, Ansuz Darkz D-TC & D2, Omicron Harmonic Stabilizer, Gold Evolution SE & Classic < Furutech FT-SWS (R) < Synergistic Research Orange Quantum Fuse < Solid Tech Hybrid < GigaWatt G-16A 2P Circuit Breaker

P.S. 5 meters long USB cable?! I find 0.75m significantly better (soundwise) than 1.5m!

I'm not dealing with trying to get a long USB run working, but I did purchase a Regen and I found no audible difference with my Exasound DAC so quit using it. I find Exasound DACs relatively immune from USB reclocking devices.

CAPS Pipeline with HDPlex Linear PSU running Win10 64 bit, AO 2.0, RoonServer, HQPlayer -> T+A DAC8 DSD -> Linear Tube Audio's MicroZOTL2 Headphone Amp with Mojo Audio's Illuminati Linear PSU -> Focal Utopia/Audeze LCD-3

I'm not dealing with trying to get a long USB run working, but I did purchase a Regen and I found no audible difference with my Exasound DAC so quit using it. I find Exasound DACs relatively immune from USB reclocking devices.

Well neither do I but my findings are dissimilar. In my system the Regen brought less tension to the music, a better separation and clarity to the sound, a more fluid presentation. Maybe my system is more transparent. Also, I don't have a CAPS which I'm sure it helps a lot... :)

Triangle Magellan Concerto 2 < AQ Everest < Vitus Audio SS-010 Mk2 < AQ Dragon High Current < AQ WEL XLR < Chord Qutest DAC w UpTone JS-2 & AQ Dragon Source < AQ Diamond USB < Innuos Phoenix USB w AQ Dragon Source < Aurender N100H & AQ Dragon Source < NetGear GS105GE Switch w UpTone LPS1.2 < Supra CAT8 Ethernet < Gryphon PowerZone w AQ NRG-Wild < Stillpoints UltraSS, Ansuz Darkz D-TC & D2, Omicron Harmonic Stabilizer, Gold Evolution SE & Classic < Furutech FT-SWS (R) < Synergistic Research Orange Quantum Fuse < Solid Tech Hybrid < GigaWatt G-16A 2P Circuit Breaker

It is simple. I preferred the sound into the e28 without the Regen. I gave it a lengthy trial. I assumed initially that the slight sonic change I heard was "better". But, after awhile, I think my expectation bias wore off and my evaluation was more just about the sonic result on its own terms.

5 meters is what I need to get from a noisy computer in the next room. Tried the Corning, but I preferred my metallic cable. I am quite happy with the sound of the 5 meter cable.

Not taking about jaw dropping differences in either case. But, each changed the sound slightly.

And, if 0.75 meters is significantly better, how about 0.1 meter or just a MM A-B adapter? Have you tried that? Double blind? I assume you are using an Exasound.

And, if 0.75 meters is significantly better, how about 0.1 meter or just a MM A-B adapter? Have you tried that? Double blind? I assume you are using an Exasound.

Fitz, I have always been curious how one would go about doing such a comparison "double blind," i.e., the person plugging and unplugging the components would have no awareness of what they were doing. :)

One never knows, do one? - Fats Waller

The fairest thing we can experience is the mysterious. It is the fundamental emotion which stands at the cradle of true art and true science. - Einstein

Computer, Audirvana -> optical Ethernet to Fitlet3 -> Fibbr Alpha Optical USB -> iFi NEO iDSD DAC -> Apollon Audio 1ET400A Mini (Purifi based) -> Vandersteen 3A Signature.

Fitz, I have always been curious how one would go about doing such a comparison "double blind," i.e., the person plugging and unplugging the components would have no awareness of what they were doing. :)

Details, details.

Quick, near instaneous a-b switching would likely be impossible anyway. But, the testor and the testee could be alternately shuttling into the room and back outside. Or, just go with single blind on a blindfolded listener.

My real point is I suspect that the perceived difference or preference would vanish under any sort of reasonable bias controlled listening. I am quite happy even if proven wrong on that.

• 1 month later...

Guys, you move too fast... e20 MkI, MkII, MkIII, e22 MkI, MkII and now e32... :(

• 5 weeks later...
@exa what is new about the e32 compared to an e22 MkII besides the ES9028PRO?

Pareto Audio AMD 7700 Server --> Berkeley Alpha USB --> Jeff Rowland Aeris --> Jeff Rowland 625 S2 --> Focal Utopia 3 Diablos with 2 x Focal Electra SW 1000 BE subs

i7-6700K/Windows 10  --> EVGA Nu Audio Card --> Focal CMS50's 

@exa what is new about the e32 compared to an e22 MkII besides the ES9028PRO?

The e32 has significant improvements in the way DSD128 and DSD256 are handled. The new DAC chip, the es9028pro requires new circuit board design and new firmware. There are numerous stability improvements. The drivers are updated to control the SPDIF/TOSLINK/USB input selection. The appearance of the front and rear plates is upgraded.

• 3 weeks later...
The e32 has significant improvements in the way DSD128 and DSD256 are handled. The new DAC chip, the es9028pro requires new circuit board design and new firmware. There are numerous stability improvements. The drivers are updated to control the SPDIF/TOSLINK/USB input selection. The appearance of the front and rear plates is upgraded.

Difference between e28 mk1 and mk2?

Dedicated 20A>>MacBook PRO Core i7>Decibel>Metric Halo LIO8(firewire) or Exasound e28(usb)>RedCo Mogami Multi Channel Snake Balanced Interconnect Cables via DB25 Neutrik Balanced Connectors 3 pin Male XLR-Blk/Gold or BJC RCA Cables

Dedicated 20A>>Dual APC LineVoltageRegulators 1200Wx2>>McCormack DNA 1 DLX mono blocks>Mogami W3104 bi-wire>Aerial 10T v2 Mounted to SoundAnchor Stands+Spikes

Separate 20A>>Dual HSU Research 10 inch Subwoofers

Difference between e28 mk1 and mk2?

New e28 Mark II features include:

• Auto–power up after sleep
  • User adjustable power down after inactivity
  • Maximum volume limiter allows the e28 to directly drive a power amplifier while protecting your loudspeakers from damaging overloads
  • MP3Safe™ software protection against clipping caused by faulty or erroneous signal processing and data manipulation. MP3Safe analyzes incoming musical information, and safeguards against poorly formed data words caused by errors in lossy encoding and digital signal processing. MP3Safe takes the crunch out your lower resolution music
  • The ability to extinguish the display light via the e28’s included IR remote for no visual distractions while listening
  • Redesigned, more substantial and deeply sculpted front plate
  • A 12V trigger output has been added for amplifier sequencing and automation

Then there's the differences between the e28 Mk. II and the new e38.... :)

I've listed these in another thread:

• Lower noise
  • Lower distortion
  • Faster locking when sampling rate is changed
  • Faster switching between inputs
  • More stable and consistent processing of DSD128 and DSD256.
  • Inputs can be selected from the Dashboard
  • New drivers and firmware
  • DoP support, if anybody needs it.
  • Front plate cosmetic enhancements

The old ES9018 had to be handled with custom settings under controlled hardware conditions to be able to play DSD256. It was possible with very limited room for customization. The new ES9028PRO allows more freedom at the top sampling rates and can be further fine-tuned.

I've listed these in another thread:

• Lower noise
  • Lower distortion
  • Faster locking when sampling rate is changed
  • Faster switching between inputs
  • More stable and consistent processing of DSD128 and DSD256.
  • Inputs can be selected from the Dashboard
  • New drivers and firmware
  • Front plate cosmetic enhancements

The old ES9018 had to be handled with custom settings under controlled hardware conditions to be able to play DSD256. It was possible with very limited room for customization. The new ES9028PRO allows more freedom at the top sampling rates and can be further fine-tuned.

How much lower noise and distortion? I have done some searches and have not found any concrete numbers :)

Dedicated 20A>>MacBook PRO Core i7>Decibel>Metric Halo LIO8(firewire) or Exasound e28(usb)>RedCo Mogami Multi Channel Snake Balanced Interconnect Cables via DB25 Neutrik Balanced Connectors 3 pin Male XLR-Blk/Gold or BJC RCA Cables

Dedicated 20A>>Dual APC LineVoltageRegulators 1200Wx2>>McCormack DNA 1 DLX mono blocks>Mogami W3104 bi-wire>Aerial 10T v2 Mounted to SoundAnchor Stands+Spikes

How much lower noise and distortion? I have done some searches and have not found any concrete numbers :)

ok - found this for the e28

Total Harmonic Distortion + Noise: 0.000359% @ 1KHz, 0dBFS

Intermodulation Distortion: 124 db / 0.0000605% % @ 19KHz + 20KHz 0 dBFS

2nd order IMD

Signal-to-Noise Ratio: 125 dB, A-weighted, 2 Vrms

DAC Master Clock Jitter: 0.13 psec rms

Frequency Response: 0 Hz - 20kHz (-0.15dB)

Phase-Non-inverting

Channel Separation: 134 dB @ 1KHz for adjacent channels, 123 @ 1KHz between channel groups

My understanding is that Mac users need DoP to play native DSD if we want to use a player other than HQPlayer or Decibel. Because neither of these supports plugins, I prefer Audirvana.

Plugins are the only way to implement on-the-fly parametric EQ, which I find useful to tame screechy old recordings. It amazes me that so few audiophiles take advantage of user-adjustable EQ (as opposed to fixed room EQ). Somehow the old hairshirt mentality of analog preamps has carried forward unnecessarily into the digital age.

HQPlayer (on 3.8 GHz 8-core i7 iMac 2020) > NAA (on 2012 Mac Mini i7) > RME ADI-2 v2 > Benchmark AHB-2 > Thiel 3.7