IGNORED

exaSound e18 - e20 - e28 - Info and Experiences Post All Here

The THD+N graph that you are presenting is not appropriate for direct comparison of noise levels. I can only point out that the levels you show are around 0.0005% or -106dB.  The graph of the e32 noise floor is showing levels at around -160dB to -170dB, or 0.000001% to  0.0000003%.

exaSound-e32-Noise-Floor-800.png

7 hours ago, exa said:

Yes, it is. It contributes to jitter reduction, asynchronous playback, all-time 32bit operation. It also makes it possible to do the USB streaming at 0dBFS (maximum volume, no resolution loss) at all times. 

OK, thanks.  Is there any loss using the preamp for volume control of the outputs (XLR & RCA)?  

W10 NUC i7 (Gen 10) > Roon (Audiolense FIR) > Motu UltraLite mk5 > (4) Hypex NCore NC502MP > JBL M2 Master Reference +4 subs

Watch my Podcast https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCXMw_bZWBMtRWNJQfTJ38kA/videos

15 hours ago, jtwrace said:

OK, thanks.  Is there any loss using the preamp for volume control of the outputs (XLR & RCA)?  

Every preamp brigs a bit of extra noise and distortion.Usually they are negligible. The preamp is useful for tasks like input selection and unified volume control. If you don't need these functions it is better to avoid the unnecessary amplification of the preamp.

On 3/28/2017 at 10:01 AM, exa said:

Every preamp brigs a bit of extra noise and distortion.Usually they are negligible. The preamp is useful for tasks like input selection and unified volume control. If you don't need these functions it is better to avoid the unnecessary amplification of the preamp.

Can the PP be used with any dac?  

W10 NUC i7 (Gen 10) > Roon (Audiolense FIR) > Motu UltraLite mk5 > (4) Hypex NCore NC502MP > JBL M2 Master Reference +4 subs

Watch my Podcast https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCXMw_bZWBMtRWNJQfTJ38kA/videos

• 3 weeks later...
On 4/15/2017 at 5:14 PM, exa said:

Ted, bring a couple of nice tracks to play.  I can show you new PlayPoint features that you've requested.   

@exa

What new features?  Why aren't there that many customer postings about this dac here or anywhere else?  

1 hour ago, jtwrace said:

@exa

What new features?  Why aren't there that many customer postings about this dac here or anywhere else?  

The new features of the e32 and the e38 DACs are discussed on page 40 of this thread. 

With the March 2017 engine upgrade of the Computer Audiophile forum some internal cross-links and some external links to discussion threads are lost. Here are several discussions about the exaSound products:

I don't see a thread yet specifically for the e32, so I'll post my experiences here. I moved to the e22 Mk II from an Oppo 105D used as a DAC while I set up my Mac Mini and Synology NAS to house my growing DSD (and PCM) collection. I was very happy with the sound overall. I replaced the internal switching supply on the Mac with the UpTone linear supply board and fan controller. I experimented with a Regen, and like some others here I heard a difference, including some bass emphasis that did not feel unwelcome. I was using the e22 Mk II with the supplied switching power supply, plugged in to the same minimalist Shunyata power distributor as my preamp. That power distributor did not isolate the outlets from each other. 

I was impressed enough with the e22 Mk II and George's discussion of the improvements available with the new ESS pro chip that I upgraded to the e32. After burning in (I have found that--without getting into the psychoacoustic-adjustment-vs.-equipment-changes debate about burn in--both exaSound DACs' sound evolved, taking in excess of 200 hours of operating time to stabilize), the e32 was a clear improvement over its predecessor in many areas, the most immediately obvious (though not the most important) being an increased extension and authority in the bass. With the Regen in place the low end now seemed excessive, and I decided to try the e32 without it. The change made a clear improvement (in blind AB tests with an audio journalist friend). The bass remained extended and authoritative but no longer slightly bloated in the upper bass, and crucially, midrange articulation (timbre characterization and the sense of individual instruments within sections, etc.) was noticeably improved. My friend and I tried the blind AB test with a couple of other inline USB reclock/regeneration boxes as well, and agreed that the e32 sounded better in all cases without them. (I suspect in fact that the e22 Mk II's sound also was not really improved by the Regen--only changed--but some of the factors discussed below masked that to some degree.)

George has stated that some sonic improvement is achievable from his DACs by substituting a good linear supply for the supplied switcher. In part he attributes this to the switcher being the last potential source of digital noise into the DAC, given the galvanic isolation and power filtering measures designed to eliminate noise from the signal source. So having been pleased with the HDPLex 100W linear supply used to power my Mac Mini, I ordered Larry's new 200W LPS (same form factor as the 100W) to power the e32. That supply is now plugged in to a pure-sinewave UPS in an adjacent closet (which supplies the NAS and the other HPPlex/Mac mini, but is fed from the same box on a dedicated 20amp circuit as the  gear in the listening room, to to minimize ground loops). So the preamp is now the only device connected to the Shunyata distribution box.

I was not really prepared for the quality of sound resulting from this set of changes. I expected subtle improvement, but instead it was, in the words of my journalist friend, "an order of magnitude." I hypothesize that this is due to three factors: partly to removal of digital noise into the DAC, as George expected; but also due to digital noise from the switcher no longer being directly transmitted via its plug to the adjacent plug of the preamp; and partly due to the robust capacity of the LPS itself (as Victor Khomenko has written, in an automotive analogy for why he designs oversized power supplies in his components, "there's no substitute for cubic inches"). There is now no switching supply anywhere in my audio chain.

I conclude from my experience that the engineering of the e32 is indeed very successful, and that George's measures to address noise from the signal source at the receiving end are effective. I don't want to resort to audiophile cliches to describe the sound. I'll just say that the spatial, spectral, dynamic, and timbral perceptual effects we look for are impressive. The overall system now has among the lowest noise floors I've ever heard, with concomitant resolution of low-level events, reverberant tails, etc. Last night I had the chance to hear several direct AB comparisons of MQA-studio tracks with the same non-MQA tracks (via an Aurender) on a system with high-end Magico speakers and Berning amps. The perceived character of the improvements in reduced "smear" from the e32 and LPS playing DSD files in my system were analogous to (though different in mechanism from) the improvements ("deblurring") that the MQA-studio process seeks to provide. I think my system is now hitting the constraints of the speed of the drivers and enclosure rigidity in my (excellent but now 10+ years old) speakers. But if you had asked me even two years ago whether I'd ever have sound this good, I would have said, "no way." So I'm incredibly pleased to be exploring repertory with the e32 setup. And saving pennies for upgraded speakers . . . .

----------

System: Synology 1515+ NAS -> direct cat 6A ethernet to Mac mini server (HDPLex 100W LPS) -> 0.6 M Supra USB cable to exaSound e32 (HDPlex 200W LPS) -> Shunyata balanced cables to BAT VK-55SE ->Shunyata balanced cables to BAT VK-160SE monoblocks, bi-wired via Tara Labs RSC to Von Schweikert VR 4 Gen III HSE speakers, Martin-Logan Descent sub. JRiver for library and player via JRemote on iPad. VPI Aries & JMW Memorial arm, Grado Reference cartridge. (9' wide by 7' tall fully loaded bookcase on wall behind speakers with volumes inset at staggered intervals to form a pseudo-Schroeder diffuser.)

exaSound has a 20% Off Sale on their e38 Multichannel DAC, e32 Stereo DAC and Playpoint Network player with DSD 256 and FLAC Multichannel files playback during this weekend's AXPONA 2017 Audio Show in Chicago. Visit Room 604 to hear their DACs and get the 20% discount. 

Also of interest at AXPONA 2017, the launch of the new Sonoma Acoustics M1 Electrostatic Headphone System. The Sonoma Acoustics team includes members of the original SACD Project launch team in the US (David Kawakami, Dr. Andrew Demery and Gus Skinas). Pre-orders for the M1 are available from Acoustic Sounds.

http://news.acousticsounds.com/post.cfm/sonoma-acoustics-acoustic-sounds-partner-for-headphone-system-launch-at-axpona

A few days ago I received the e38 from Nativedsd. As I live in the Netherlands it was easier to order from Nativedsd to avoid heavy customs/VAT bill. 

Around 10 hours of playback. As I have not received the log in for the drivers yet, it is 2 channel toslink for now. It already sounds very good. I had the tv/radio set top box connected which was nice. Now the audio pc via toslink. 

Once I have the driver I will switch to USB for pcm and dsd stereo and surround. 

If you are in doubt about this dac, and you are at the audio show mentioned by Brain, have a listen. That 20% discount makes it very attractive. 

8 hours ago, Robert van Diggele said:

As I have not received the log in for the drivers yet, it is 2 channel toslink for now.

Did you email exaSound?  I received my login within 24 hours.

HQPlayer (on 3.8 GHz 8-core i7 iMac 2020) > NAA (on 2012 Mac Mini i7) > RME ADI-2 v2 > Benchmark AHB-2 > Thiel 3.7

1 hour ago, Bob Stern said:

Did you email exaSound?  I received my login within 24 hours.

Correction:  I purchased directly from exaSound, and I received a login username and password within my shipment confirmation.  I don’t know the procedure when you purchase from NativeDSD.

HQPlayer (on 3.8 GHz 8-core i7 iMac 2020) > NAA (on 2012 Mac Mini i7) > RME ADI-2 v2 > Benchmark AHB-2 > Thiel 3.7

7 hours ago, Bob Stern said:

Correction:  I purchased directly from exaSound, and I received a login username and password within my shipment confirmation.  I don’t know the procedure when you purchase from NativeDSD.

I received it a few hours ago. NativeDSD contacted exa and George has sent me the log in. 

That I mentioned the non receipt on a public forum was no critisism but more because of my enthusiasm of the DAC using the toslink and how good it already sounds in stereo. Therefore I was looking forward to get going with the multichannel :)

11 hours ago, Robert van Diggele said:

I was looking forward to get going with the multichannel :)

Now the real fun begins!  :)

Be sure to check out the Free DSD Stereo & Multichannel downloads in the Just Listen and Members sections of the NativeDSD Music web site.  Some nice music to test out the e38 there.

https://members.nativedsd.com/

https://justlisten.nativedsd.com/albums/JLBFOMahler3-mahler-symphony-no-3-in-d-minor

• 2 weeks later...

Hi Chris,

I've just read your Notes From a Disconnected Axpona. When you came to our room you should have asked for the ..."Other Playlist".  I had on the menu Kraftwerk, Ayreon – 01011001, Ark with Jørn Lande and Goran Bregovic & His Wedding and Funeral Band.  After all, the theme for the exaSound room this year was Heavy Metal.

In my experience there was some disconnect - the visitors don't know much about networked audio.  They tell us they are familiar with the speakers and the amplifiers that we use and they are in love with the sound of the room, but they are afraid to make the move to digital audio, DACs and network players.

On the other side there were some great connections.  During the first hour of the first day of the show people came straight from the registration to our room on the 6th floor to experience our devices. Some kept coming back again and again.

Here are some pictures from the exaSound room at AXPONA 2017.

Anyone have some impressions of the 38 compared to other branded 2 channel dacs in the same price range? I wouldn't mind going active and using pc based crossovers etc with the 38. My main concern is if it doesn't compete with 2 channel dacs I don't want to buy 8 channels that don't compare. 

Thank you

Peach Audio Iso Transformer, Linn Akurate DSM, McIntosh MA2275 

Paradigm 30th Anniversary Tributes, SVS SB13 Ultra x2, Dynaudio BM5A MKII

19 minutes ago, bunno77 said:

Anyone have some impressions of the 38 compared to other branded 2 channel dacs in the same price range? I wouldn't mind going active and using pc based crossovers etc with the 38. My main concern is if it doesn't compete with 2 channel dacs I don't want to buy 8 channels that don't compare. 

Thank you

I have the e38 and I also have the Light Harmonics Pulse and Chord Hugo.  I like the e38 most.

1 minute ago, mlknez said:

I have the e38 and I also have the Light Harmonics Pulse and Chord Hugo.  I like the e38 most.

That's fantastic  news. May I ask which pulse and if you have a Lps. I have the lh labs geek pulse s infinity and lh labs lps1. I like the Hugo too. 

Peach Audio Iso Transformer, Linn Akurate DSM, McIntosh MA2275 

Paradigm 30th Anniversary Tributes, SVS SB13 Ultra x2, Dynaudio BM5A MKII

On ‎3‎/‎27‎/‎2017 at 9:52 AM, exa said:

The THD+N graph that you are presenting is not appropriate for direct comparison of noise levels. I can only point out that the levels you show are around 0.0005% or -106dB.  The graph of the e32 noise floor is showing levels at around -160dB to -170dB, or 0.000001% to  0.0000003%.

exaSound-e32-Noise-Floor-800.png

Noise floor with no signal has nothing to do with percents of distortion.  There is no signal, so there cannot be any distortion.  This is misleading.  The other post of a DAC measurement (that you are using to compare) was a measurement of distortion of a given signal.  If you want to do a comparison then you need to show the same test.  There was no picture shown of the "noise floor" of the other DAC. 

Measurements are just a starting point.  Most all DACs with ESS chips these days measure super.  Yet, they all sound different....and the one that measures best is not always the one that sounds the best.  Please, trust your ears.

Speaking of measurements......I wonder how the new $1460 LKS MH-D004 DAC measures.  It has two ESS9038 DACs in it.  A single 9038 is essentially 4 9028s in parallel.  A single 9028 run in stereo mod (like what Exasound is doing) will give you 4 parallel DACs.  Dual 9038s run in mono mode will give you essentially 32 9028 DACs in parallel.  The more DACs in parallel the lower the noise and the greater the dynamic range....this is a fact.