E38 with teddy supply

E38 with uptone suplly

zoom (sec)

20013110252122427416627137.jpg

zoom (1/10 sec)

20013110252122427416627136.jpg

zoom (5/100 sec)

20013110252122427416627135.jpg

Was recording my speakers with my Earthworks M30 through my Motu 1248 sound module.

It's SAME ...

After dinner, I will do a listening session ... When doing the test, I do not notice any difference in sound between js-2 and teddy while when the Teddy was new, the difference was pretty impressive.

Teddy have be left on all time time ... it's completely burned for sure now.

Interesting ?

By ears E38 + JS-2 (uptone) vs Teddy not sound the same.

I made MANY MANY A/B tonight.

I am not able to convince myself to prefer JS-2 or Teddy ... because it's depend what I am hearing!

I stay with my initial though.

JS-2 is more laid back, more body, less details, larger soundstage, bigger impact.

Teddy is more alive, sharper/clear details, uncanny and articulated bass. It's easy to read the different layers of the music.

With burn-in Teddy show more tones now, less extra highs energy from what I am remember from it's new state. I had the JS-2 as comparaison and JS-2 have a good 2 years old.

My advice ? If you look for little bit tap foot and analytic listening go teddy otherwise for this milky and cavernous sound filling your room, you closed your eyes and fall into the music go js-2! 8=)

I will be curious to try to DIY new wire to give the 12 volts.

The cable coming with the JS-2 is pretty big while the one with the teddy is like a guitar string. I do not have time for that for the moment ...

I took time to test the Sigma streamer against laptop on the dac.

With the Sigma, I was using Roon on my PC (towner) as renderer. The sigma was configured wifi using roon core.

Without the sigma, I was using laptop running (j-river/fidelizer 8 pro).

I prefer the global sound of roon/sigma, it's bigger, sweeter and more musical. The music have more ambiance and are less in my face.

I hear more details in the layers because the music is less packed at the same spot.

Good job Exa!

• 7 months later...

I bought a PlayPoint Mark I and e32 Mark II second-hand, added the Teddy Pardo LPS. Really happy with this combo, operationally and sonically.

Main System: QNAP TS-451+ > Silent Angel Bonn N8 > Sonore opticalModule Deluxe v2 > Corning SMF with Finisar FTLF1318P3BTL SFPs > Uptone EtherREGEN > exaSound PlayPoint and e32 Mk-II DAC > Meitner MTR-101 Plus monoblocks > Bamberg S5-MTM sealed standmount speakers. 

Crown XLi 1500 powering  AV123 Rocket UFW10 stereo subwoofers

Upgraded power on all switches, renderer and DAC.

4 hours ago, audiobomber said:

I bought a PlayPoint Mark I and e32 Mark II second-hand, added the Teddy Pardo LPS. Really happy with this combo, operationally and sonically.

I believe that was me you purchased that combo from.  Glad you are enjoying it!  I’m enjoying my Playpoint DM MkII - wonderful machine!

exaSound PlayPoint DM MkII with Uptone Audio JS-2 power supply; Horn Shoppe The Truth preamp; Coincident Frankenstein MkII mono blocs (mid/tweeter) and Dragon 211b mono blocs (woofers); Coincident Pure Reference Extreme MkII loudspeakers; Coincident cabling throughout...Analogue: Jean Nantais Ultimate Lenco turntable with Durand Kairos arm, Benz-Micro LPS cartridge; Coincident Statement phono stage

5 minutes ago, vinylphile said:

I believe that was me you purchased that combo from.  Glad you are enjoying it!  I’m enjoying my Playpoint DM MkII - wonderful machine!

Is that you Howard? 😊

Main System: QNAP TS-451+ > Silent Angel Bonn N8 > Sonore opticalModule Deluxe v2 > Corning SMF with Finisar FTLF1318P3BTL SFPs > Uptone EtherREGEN > exaSound PlayPoint and e32 Mk-II DAC > Meitner MTR-101 Plus monoblocks > Bamberg S5-MTM sealed standmount speakers. 

1 minute ago, audiobomber said:

Is that you Howard? 😊

Yup! 

exaSound PlayPoint DM MkII with Uptone Audio JS-2 power supply; Horn Shoppe The Truth preamp; Coincident Frankenstein MkII mono blocs (mid/tweeter) and Dragon 211b mono blocs (woofers); Coincident Pure Reference Extreme MkII loudspeakers; Coincident cabling throughout...Analogue: Jean Nantais Ultimate Lenco turntable with Durand Kairos arm, Benz-Micro LPS cartridge; Coincident Statement phono stage

12 hours ago, vinylphile said:

The Playpoint DM is an awesome piece; one and done! I didn't realize there was a Mark II already.

So how much time do you spend listening to vinyl vs. streaming, Mr. Vinylphile?

PS Time to update your signature. 

Would an upgraded PSU be worthwhile for a Playpoint? I asked exaSound about this and received a response that seems clear enough, yet still leaves room for a bit of audiophilia nervosa: 

"In my opinion there is no need for upgraded power supply for the PlayPoint.  This is true only when the PlayPoint is used with our DACs. The Isolation on the USB DAC input blocks the noise from the PlayPoint. 

Many customers disagree with this recommendation.  If you decide to try a linear power supply with the PlayPoint, there is one important rule.  You should use separate power supplies for the DAC and the PlayPoint.  Dual power supplies are not recommended.

You can experiment with any third-party audiophile-grade 12V linear power supply rated 3.33 Amps or more.  Teddy 12/4 and Sbooster will work fine."

My sMS-200 definitely benefitted from a linear power supply upgrade, so I suspect I would like it, but a 50W LPS can be both large and costly. I don't have much room left under my equipment rack, and I don't want to spend a lot. Does anyone have some advice to share?

2 hours ago, audiobomber said:

The Playpoint DM is an awesome piece; one and done! I didn't realize there was a Mark II already.

So how much time do you spend listening to vinyl vs. streaming, Mr. Vinylphile?

PS Time to update your signature. 

Was trying to update signature last night and couldn’t figure out how.  I’m usually primarily a vinyl listener as my name would suggest however since getting the PlayPoint DM it’s been almost all digital LOL.  The only real difference with the MkII is that it plays DSD8.

Am I correct that the Playpoint Mark I can only link to an exaSound DAC, and the e32 Mark II can only link to Windows and Mac computers or exaSound Playpoint and Sigma renderers?