IGNORED

exaSound e18 - e20 - e28 - Info and Experiences Post All Here

Good News – exaSound has just released a new version of our Mac drivers for use with Mac OS X El Capitan. The new drivers are available for download on our website.

Some of our customers had issues using the previous version of our drivers when they upgraded to El Capitan. With this release of OS X Apple rewrote completely the USB stack. The issues were related to backward USB compatibility of El Capitan and are now fixed.

It was a particularly hard to trace the problem, it did not manifest itself on our test computers. Small number of our customers had the issue, while most of them did not report any problems. Special thanks to those who helped us by providing system logs and remote access to their computers.

The exaSound team

• 4 months later...
I am sorry, we don't offer Linux drivers.

Please consider doing so. I would be very interested in purchasing an e22 if only I could use it with native DSD output from a Linux-based endpoint.

--David

Listening Room: Mac mini (Roon Core) > iMac (HQP) > exaSound PlayPoint (as NAA) > exaSound e32 > W4S STP-SE > Benchmark AHB2 > Wilson Sophia Series 2 (Details)

Office: Mac Pro >  AudioQuest DragonFly Red > JBL LSR305

Mobile: iPhone 6S > AudioQuest DragonFly Black > JH Audio JH5

Playpoint?

I was thinking of something half the price or less. For the price of an e22 plus a PlayPoint, I could get a microRendu, a decent power supply for it, and have $4,500 left over for a DAC. I think the e22 is a very good value for what it offers, but the PlayPoint does more than what I need (HQP NAA and, secondarily, a RoonReady endpoint).

Speaking of the PlayPoint, though, isn't that Linux based? So why no exaSound Linux drivers? (There's been some speculation that the PlayPoint does DoP, but I sure don't know.)

--David

Listening Room: Mac mini (Roon Core) > iMac (HQP) > exaSound PlayPoint (as NAA) > exaSound e32 > W4S STP-SE > Benchmark AHB2 > Wilson Sophia Series 2 (Details)

So why no exaSound Linux drivers? (There's been some speculation that the PlayPoint does DoP, but I sure don't know.)

--David

It is not practical to maintain and support closed code drivers on an open-source operating system.

The PlayPoint is streaming native DSD to the DAC.

It is not practical to maintain and support closed code drivers on an open-source operating system.

The PlayPoint is streaming native DSD to the DAC.

Good to know that the PlayPoint is streaming native DSD. The other point, not so much.

Thanks for the info, though.

--David

Hi. I would like to know if you plan to offer PlayPoint or similar to stream to other dac's.

Thanks.

We would like to open the PlayPoint for use with other DACs. At this time we have several high-priority projects under development, so this will take a while.

• 1 month later...
... I think exaSound should offer a power source like this ...

Hi ! actually it would be very interesting to get the ExaSound designer opinion on this power supply replacement.

Maybe he has already done this and I have missed it.

It is a very important point.

Regards, gino

Hello everybody,

this is my experience with e28 DAC: I bought the DAC a year and a half ago, everything was working very well, really nice sound until the DAC started to casually play white noises at maximum volume to all speakers.

E.g. I was listening to classic music at high volumes (because of the huge dynamic) when suddently the DAC went crazy and started to play the white noise to all 6 channels.

This little joke costed me 2 pair of tweeters of my old AR9 speakers that burned litteraly out in less than a second with the crazy noise.

I contacted exaSound, and they replaced my e28 DAC with a new e28 MKII DAC (although the transformer and some other minor parts remained the same).

Everything was fine for about 2 months, until today when I was listening to some music (Pink Floyd's Dark side of the Moon 6ch mix) with a friend and suddently we experienced again the insane white noise; today for the first time on my brand new Monitor Audio Platinum 500 II speakers.

I really don't know what to do: I cannot trust anymore the DAC because this thing really damages the speakers (and my ears...), on the other hand I have no way to find out where and what the problem is.

Is there someone who has a suggestion or can help me finding a solution?

Best regards,

Andrea

Hi Andrea,

I am sorry to hear that the problem has reappeared. There is something in your environment that causes it. We haven’t seen any issues while continuously testing your old DAC. You are the only one reporting this kind of sudden noise.

We‘ve replaced your DAC with a brand new device after the end of the warranty period and we’ve offered a free upgrade to the latest Mark II revision. I don’t know what else we can do for you.

Best regards,

George

exaSound Customer Service

Thank you George for your reply, as I already wrote you via mail if the problem is not the DAC, then something is wrong with the drivers.

The DAC is connected via USB to a Windows computer (3.5 quad i7, 8GB RAM, USB3), so my system satisfies the PC requirements of the exaSound manual and, alone, there is nothing I can do to find the problem and solve it. The driver are a black-box for me: the only thing I can do is analyze the USB packets and try to find something. But this is really difficult and surely I’ll find nothing this way.

But, if I understand your reply, there is nothing you can do to help me further. I have to stop using the DAC and put it on his box to prevent that it will destroy my speakers? Or resell it and start using something else?

As a programmer I hope you are inquiring like me to find where is the issue and prevent further problems with every system.

Thank you,

Andrea

We've invested great effort and time to replicate the problem. During the two weeks of testing it hasn't occurred. I believe it is not the DAC or the drivers. In any event, with the information available to us there is nothing that we can do at this time.

Hello everybody,

this is my experience with e28 DAC: I bought the DAC a year and a half ago, everything was working very well, really nice sound until the DAC started to casually play white noises at maximum volume to all speakers.

E.g. I was listening to classic music at high volumes (because of the huge dynamic) when suddently the DAC went crazy and started to play the white noise to all 6 channels.

This little joke costed me 2 pair of tweeters of my old AR9 speakers that burned litteraly out in less than a second with the crazy noise.

I contacted exaSound, and they replaced my e28 DAC with a new e28 MKII DAC (although the transformer and some other minor parts remained the same).

Everything was fine for about 2 months, until today when I was listening to some music (Pink Floyd's Dark side of the Moon 6ch mix) with a friend and suddently we experienced again the insane white noise; today for the first time on my brand new Monitor Audio Platinum 500 II speakers.

I really don't know what to do: I cannot trust anymore the DAC because this thing really damages the speakers (and my ears...), on the other hand I have no way to find out where and what the problem is.

Is there someone who has a suggestion or can help me finding a solution?

Best regards,

Andrea

First, I assume you have carefully tested to be sure that it is indeed the DAC and nothing else. I also assume you are using their stock power supply. If not, hmmm. I wonder if that could be causing the issue.

I seriously doubt that anyone else on the planet can "fix" your DAC other than Exasound. I am sure that they will do so. And, the plain fact is you have no choice. It has no resale value unless repaired.

So, my suggestion would be to avoid bad mouthing them until it is repaired. You do not want to strain your relationship with them until you no longer need their services. This post does not make things better in that regard.

I understand your frustration and anger, even, but it is foolish to persist in public criticism while you are still dependent on their good will. That is just not in your best interest. It is like Donald Trump loudly and publically insulting a judge while Trump has an important case pending before that judge. Like him, you may be foolishly shooting yourself in the foot out of pique.

Stuff happens, even to the best of equipment from the best of companies. So, I would quietly work with Exasound until it is fixed.

My E28 has been exceptional over 2 years using the stock power supply. I leave mine powered on all the time.

And, as you know, your choices in a Mch DAC are quite limited, though there are a few.

Thank you Fitzcaraldo215 for your reply.

My initial post was not against exaSound, I started writing that "everything was working very well, really nice sound"

Before my posts here I wrote to exaSound but, as you can see they wrote me back that "with the information available to us there is nothing that we can do at this time" so I asked here on the forum for some help: maybe somebody else has some advices to solve the problem.

I dont think that the DAC has problems: as you can read exaSound very kindly replaced my MKI DAC with a brand new MKII DAC, but unfortunately the problem has not been solved.

For this reason I asked them for some advices, e.g. a way to analyze the USB data and understand where the problem is (motherboard, foobar, etc.). I allowed myself to ask them for a solution because, as you know, the e28 is a valuable product, and I expect some support for such a purchase.

It has indeed something to do with the DAC. My chain has no other DSP:

foobar2000 (ASIO to exaSound e28) -> exaSound e28 -> McIntosh Power Amplifiers.

I leave out foobar from the problem because this is happening also with other programs, and foobar is not using DSPs.

I am using the stock PSU.

I'm also expecting that exaSound will "fix" my problem (rather than the DAC itself), but from the replies I got, it seems not to be the case.

I completely agree with you that it has no sense going against exaSound in public criticism and I repeat that my intention was to ask for some advices here on the forum.

I hope this post can clarify my stance and that I will get some useful help.

Thank you everybody,Andrea

Thank you Fitzcaraldo215 for your reply.

My initial post was not against exaSound, I started writing that "everything was working very well, really nice sound"

Before my posts here I wrote to exaSound but, as you can see they wrote me back that "with the information available to us there is nothing that we can do at this time" so I asked here on the forum for some help: maybe somebody else has some advices to solve the problem.

I dont think that the DAC has problems: as you can read exaSound very kindly replaced my MKI DAC with a brand new MKII DAC, but unfortunately the problem has not been solved.

For this reason I asked them for some advices, e.g. a way to analyze the USB data and understand where the problem is (motherboard, foobar, etc.). I allowed myself to ask them for a solution because, as you know, the e28 is a valuable product, and I expect some support for such a purchase.

It has indeed something to do with the DAC. My chain has no other DSP:

foobar2000 (ASIO to exaSound e28) -> exaSound e28 -> McIntosh Power Amplifiers.

I leave out foobar from the problem because this is happening also with other programs, and foobar is not using DSPs.

I am using the stock PSU.

I'm also expecting that exaSound will "fix" my problem (rather than the DAC itself), but from the replies I got, it seems not to be the case.

I completely agree with you that it has no sense going against exaSound in public criticism and I repeat that my intention was to ask for some advices here on the forum.

I hope this post can clarify my stance and that I will get some useful help.

Thank you everybody,Andrea

Andrea, just because "Foobar is not using DSPs" does not mean it can not be an issue. I would still try another program if you have not.

Also to help narrow this.

1) How often does this happen?

2) What type and rates are the Files? 16/44. 24/96. DSD? Any and all?

3) Does it come and go or come and stay?

4) When it happens is it sudden and as loud as the volume that was already set. Or does it come on slow and build?

Any details may help.

Also if you can try another computer and see if this still happens. All with NEW down loads of all programs and Drivers.

Good luck and let us know.

Ambassador for Sound Galleries Monaco and Taiko Audio The Netherlands 

Sound Test USA

[email protected]

Sound Galleries SGM 2015 Music Server>ROON-all rates up-sampled to DSD512 by HQ Player>Sablon Reserva 2017 USB>T+A DAC 8 DSD>Merrill Audio Veritas Ncore NC1200 Mono Amps>B&W 802D>High Fidelity Cables Interconnect, Speaker & Power Cords for Amps & SGM & T+A>Power Conditioning High Fidelity MC-6 Hemisphere>T+A & Hemisphere supported by Stillpoints Ultra Mini - B&W 802D & Veritas supported by Stillpoints Ultra SS>All sitting on IKEA Aptitlig bamboo butcher blocks - Taiko Audio Setchi active grounding on SGM & T+A

I am a veteran of exaSound dacs, own a couple (including the e28) and have never had this issue. Most white noise issues have to do with the source sending the DAC something it does not interpret (was a problem early on with DoP, for example, when flags were wrong). Can you try other sources; does it happen only with certain file types?

@hifial

Thank you for your reply!

1) With DAC MKI ~1 time a week with ~3/4 hours listening. Usually after the first time, it happened continuosly 1/2 times per hour until PC restart. With MK II first time after 1,5 months.

2) In foobar I only use FLAC (2, 4.1, 5.1). I sometimes use Dirac, when using the DAC for other stuff (Skype, ...) because Windows doesn't see the DAC as audio output (because of ASIO): in this case I experienced two types of problems:

- white noise (also when speaking in skype)

- channel inversion: usually L->L, R->R, C->BR, LFE->BL, BR->C, BL->LFE

3) Stay until:

- white noise: stop and play on foobar, change fader on exaSound driver panel, restart the DAC

- channel inversion: restart the DAC

4) It is suddently at the volume that was already set. So when listening to classical music (peak at -15dB), the white noise comes at 0db and you can imagine what happens ;-)

I will try on another computer but if this happens one time a month it is difficult to test this way. I'd like to know where the problem is to solve it, but I think that only exaSound can help me as Fitzcaraldo215 said.

I was 100% sure, after exaSound changed my MKI that everything was fine after one and a half months without problems!

@ted_b Please see my reply to @hifial. If anything is not clear please ask me!

Thank you for your help! Best regards, Andrea

Andrea: The very first thing I would try is to switch to a file (song) with different file parameters, i.e. make sure that this problem exists across all PCM?DSD formats and across 16/44 all the way to 24/192 etc. I have had similar problems in my system and it was always a case of the DAC not reading the format of the file it was being fed (for example HDCD encoded files). At times the DAC can get stuck on the misread file, so you may have to stop it and then switch, but until you have tested this across differing files and ideally differing software front-ends, it is hard to put the blame on the DAC.

Synology NAS>i7-6700/32GB/NVIDIA QUADRO P4000 Win10>Qobuz+Tidal>Roon>HQPlayer>DSD512> Fiber Switch>Ultrarendu (NAA)>Holo Audio May KTE DAC> Bryston SP3 pre>Levinson No. 432 amps>Magnepan (MG20.1x2, CCR and MMC2x6)

Thank you sdolezalek.

In foobar I always play FLAC PCM or WAV PCM from 16/44 to 24/192 (never used DSD), but when using Dirac with other apps (Skype, YouTube, etc.) the formats are various and the problem persist (see point 2 of previous answer). So I don't think the problem comes from the file format: FLAC is a very common format, shouldn't it play problemfree on a DAC?

I would suggest that you remove Skype, YouTube, Dirc, etc from your PC. Turn off and remove ALL that you can.

Remove the exaSound Driver and then down load a new Driver.

Do the same with Foobar.

Then see if you still have a problem.

This sounds like a software problem on the PC side and not a DAC and Driver. Just my opinion. But I have seen a similar situation were software kept interfering while music file was being played.

Ambassador for Sound Galleries Monaco and Taiko Audio The Netherlands 

Sound Test USA

[email protected]

Sound Galleries SGM 2015 Music Server>ROON-all rates up-sampled to DSD512 by HQ Player>Sablon Reserva 2017 USB>T+A DAC 8 DSD>Merrill Audio Veritas Ncore NC1200 Mono Amps>B&W 802D>High Fidelity Cables Interconnect, Speaker & Power Cords for Amps & SGM & T+A>Power Conditioning High Fidelity MC-6 Hemisphere>T+A & Hemisphere supported by Stillpoints Ultra Mini - B&W 802D & Veritas supported by Stillpoints Ultra SS>All sitting on IKEA Aptitlig bamboo butcher blocks - Taiko Audio Setchi active grounding on SGM & T+A