IGNORED

exaSound e18 - e20 - e28 - Info and Experiences Post All Here

You are satisfied using the exasound direct into your BAT johndoe? Did yours replace an expensive preamp?

Also, did the upgraded Hynes power supply make a worthwhile difference?

It seems really odd to connect this skinny (cheap?) little power wire into this piece of audio gear and getting fabulous sound...I have this fat powercord sitting here doing nothing...

Yes I am satisfied! I think it's the way to go...

And yes, the Hynes LPS made a worthwhile difference... More body, better separation, better low level details, improved dynamics and a blacker background! I couldn't listen without it anymore and... if you have a fat power cord and a transparent system you can plug it into the Hynes power supply and it'll make a difference! Not a huge difference (probably because of the 11 filtration stages of the exaSound) but it will make a noticeable difference!

Triangle Magellan Concerto 2 < AQ Everest < Vitus Audio SS-010 Mk2 < AQ Dragon High Current < AQ WEL XLR < Chord Qutest DAC w UpTone JS-2 & AQ Dragon Source < AQ Diamond USB < Innuos Phoenix USB w AQ Dragon Source < Aurender N100H & AQ Dragon Source < NetGear GS105GE Switch w UpTone LPS1.2 < Supra CAT8 Ethernet < Gryphon PowerZone w AQ NRG-Wild < Stillpoints UltraSS, Ansuz Darkz D-TC & D2, Omicron Harmonic Stabilizer, Gold Evolution SE & Classic < Furutech FT-SWS (R) < Synergistic Research Orange Quantum Fuse < Solid Tech Hybrid < GigaWatt G-16A 2P Circuit Breaker

• 1 month later...

Ok I have an e28 and have just rearranged the set up of my stuff. Stupidly I pulled the interconnects out of the dac without writing down which of the dacs 1-8 channels was attached to which l,c,r,s etc channel on the amp. Now I'm not convinced I've got them right.

Can anyone enlighten me as to how I should map 1-8 to l,c,r etc. USB from windows 10 pc running roon via e28 to power amp, if it matters.

Thanks. I shan't do it again. Promise.

Ok I have an e28 and have just rearranged the set up of my stuff. Stupidly I pulled the interconnects out of the dac without writing down which of the dacs 1-8 channels was attached to which l,c,r,s etc channel on the amp. Now I'm not convinced I've got them right.

Can anyone enlighten me as to how I should map 1-8 to l,c,r etc. USB from windows 10 pc running roon via e28 to power amp, if it matters.

Thanks. I shan't do it again. Promise.

Here is the Roon KB article on multi-channel and two test files.

https://kb.roonlabs.com/Multichannel

• 2 weeks later...

I don't understand why exaSound doesn't have their dac compatible with Linux.  This doesn't make any sense to me.  The market loss has to be substantial but yet not big enough for them to change.  It's totally bizarre to me!  

W10 NUC i7 (Gen 10) > Roon (Audiolense FIR) > Motu UltraLite mk5 > (4) Hypex NCore NC502MP > JBL M2 Master Reference +4 subs

Watch my Podcast https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCXMw_bZWBMtRWNJQfTJ38kA/videos

5 minutes ago, jtwrace said:

I don't understand why exaSound doesn't have their dac compatible with Linux. 

Probably because Linux only represents 2% of the operating system market.  Making drivers for Windows and Mac based computers is going to be a much higher priority for DAC makers, including exaSound.

58d46368f1f18_OperatingSystemMarketShare.png.1f3d15f2116795a096398faf418e0d17.png

https://www.netmarketshare.com/operating-system-market-share.aspx?qprid=10&qpcustomd=0

Just now, bmoura said:

Probably because Linux only represents 2% of the operating system market.  Making drivers for Windows and Mac based computers is going to be a much higher priority for DAC makers, including exaSound.

58d46368f1f18_OperatingSystemMarketShare.png.1f3d15f2116795a096398faf418e0d17.png

https://www.netmarketshare.com/operating-system-market-share.aspx?qprid=10&qpcustomd=0

I don't think you can use that when it comes to audio though and specifically streamers that use Linux such as the Sotm sMS-200 or µRendu.  

W10 NUC i7 (Gen 10) > Roon (Audiolense FIR) > Motu UltraLite mk5 > (4) Hypex NCore NC502MP > JBL M2 Master Reference +4 subs

Watch my Podcast https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCXMw_bZWBMtRWNJQfTJ38kA/videos

4 minutes ago, jtwrace said:

I don't think you can use that when it comes to audio though and specifically streamers that use Linux such as the Sotm sMS-200 or µRendu.  

That's what I've used for music files for years - computers with Windows.  Works fine. 

Just now, bmoura said:

That's what I've used for music files for years - computers with Windows.  Works fine. 

Yeah, that's old fashioned nowadays.  SMS > Dac using Roon is stellar!  

19 minutes ago, jtwrace said:

Yeah, that's old fashioned nowadays.  SMS > Dac using Roon is stellar!  

Or you can use the PlayPoint from exaSound for Roon, or the NADAC Player with built in Roon.  That assumes you prefer Roon to JRiver + JRemote or HQ Player.  Some do, some don't.   :)

9 minutes ago, bmoura said:

Or you can use the PlayPoint from exaSound for Roon, or the NADAC Player with built in Roon.  That assumes you prefer Roon to JRiver + JRemote or HQ Player.  Some do, some don't.   :)

Yes, I know what can be used.  I don't want to be tied to the PP.  That's the problem!

15 hours ago, jtwrace said:

I don't understand why exaSound doesn't have their dac compatible with Linux.  This doesn't make any sense to me.  The market loss has to be substantial but yet not big enough for them to change.  It's totally bizarre to me!  

exaSound DACs require the use of our proprietary drivers and they are closed source.  Using closed source drivers on LINUX is a bad practice and it will be very costly to maintain compiled versions for all LINUX flavors. That's why we offer our own optimized LINUX box - the PlayPoint.

Considering how bare-bones the ExaSound DAC circuitry is, it seems the majority of the asking price is going towards to the FPGA implementation -- as Sabre DACs from China have much more robust circuits at a fraction of the price.

The problem is, a lot of Computer Audiophiles use Linux-based network renderers like the MicroRendu. I'll never use anything Linux in my audio stream because I don't hate myself, but nevertheless it is a very common solution used by posters here. So it really shouldn't bee too much to ask for Linux drivers, as both major USB controllers on the market supports it. 

13 minutes ago, GUTB said:

Considering how bare-bones the ExaSound DAC circuitry is ...

Sabre DACs from China have much more robust circuits

@GUTB, can you please explain:

(1) In what respect the exaSound circuit is "bare bones".

(2) Likewise, how Chinese Sabre DACs are "robust".

(Please consider this a question, not an attack.  However, your post is meaningless without clarification.)

HQPlayer (on 3.8 GHz 8-core i7 iMac 2020) > NAA (on 2012 Mac Mini i7) > RME ADI-2 v2 > Benchmark AHB-2 > Thiel 3.7

1 minute ago, Bob Stern said:

@GUTB, can you please explain:

(1) In what respect the exaSound circuit is "bare bones".

(2) Likewise, how Chinese Sabre DACs are "robust".

(Please consider this a question, not an attack.  However, your post is meaningless without clarification.)

Sure. Here is an e20 Mk.III:

121713exasound3.jpg

The parts appear to be high-end, which is good. But this is a very lean output stage. Also no power supply.

Then we move onto:

The $800 Gustard X20 Pro. Note the dual-differential true balanced topology, dedicated digital/analog power supplies, high-end clock, and big capacitors. It lacks the FPGA implementation with custom filters and input stage.

5 hours ago, exa said:

exaSound DACs require the use of our proprietary drivers and they are closed source.  Using closed source drivers on LINUX is a bad practice and it will be very costly to maintain compiled versions for all LINUX flavors. That's why we offer our own optimized LINUX box - the PlayPoint.

Yeah, that's interesting for sure.  

Well, I'm very aware that measurements don't tell the whole picture, especially Sabre DACs which differ hugely on implementation. But since the discussion is moved towards measurements:

Gustard X20U Pro (9028 version):

TB2I.epcY1K.eBjSsphXXcJOXXa_!!125808208.TB2AyWoc9OI.eBjy1zkXXadxFXa_!!125808208.

Again, it costs around $800. I'll point out the e32 costs $3,500.

More expensive Chinese 9028/9038 DACs are in the $1,400-1,800 range, such as the X-Sabre Pro:

SNR > -134dB 20Hz-20kHz A-Weighting
THD+N <0.00012% at 1kHz A-Weighting <0.00015% at 20Hz-20kHz A-Weighting
Frequency Response 20Hz-20kHz (+0.01dB/-0.02dB)
Crosstalk > -151dB @1kHz

21 hours ago, jtwrace said:

I must say that the measurements of the e32 are quite impressive.  Is the proprietary software part of the objective performance?  

Yes, it is. It contributes to jitter reduction, asynchronous playback, all-time 32bit operation. It also makes it possible to do the USB streaming at 0dBFS (maximum volume, no resolution loss) at all times.