IGNORED

LUMIN - Audiophile Network Music Player

13 hours ago, rodrigaj said:

I can't help you with your setup, but I do know that the only way Airplay syncs video and audio is if the device sending the audio is also playing the video. For example, playing a Netflix video on an iPad, or in your case a Macbook, and Airplaying the audio to your Lumin would work.

Given the lack of inputs, perhaps you are trying to oversimplify too much?

Yes, perhaps this is the case. The general problem here is that good digital volume controls with muliple digital inputs/outputs suitable for a home audio setup are almost non-existent. My plan was to be able to use the digital volume control in the Lumin U1 Mini as volume control until for Dutch & Dutch have developed their digital control box (similar to Kii Three) which, I guess, will adjust the volume directly in the speakers just before the DAC stage.

I have found a digital format converter/volume control from Lake People that seems to fit in a home setup (including remote control), but it will add considerable extra cost for me if configured with the optional USB input + remote control:

https://power-holdings-inc.com/Lake-People-DAT-RS-05-Digital-Audio-Translator-p136295660

Anyone here that have had experience with the DAT RS05 ? 

1 minute ago, brw said:

My X1 has no complaints. 😊

U1 Mini either ;)

Qnap HS-264 NAS (powered by an HD-Plex 100w LPS) > Cirrus7 Nimbini v2.5 Media Edition i7-8559U/32/512 running Roon ROCK (powered by a Keces P8 LPS) > Lumin U2  > Metrum Acoustics Adagio NOS digital preamplifier > Metrum Acoustics Forte power amplifier (or  First Watt SIT 3  power amplifier or Don Garber Fi "Y" 6922 tube preamplifier + Don Garber Fi "X" 2A3 SET power amplifier, both powered from an Alpha-Core BP-30 Isolated Symmetrical Power Transformer) > Klipsch Cornwall III

headphones system:

Cirrus 7 > Lumin U2 > Metrum Acoustics Adagio > Pathos Aurium amplifier (powered by an UpTone Audio JS-2 LPS) > Focal Clear headphones

18 hours ago, wklie said:

Please go into router settings and change DNS to 8.8.8.8.

Then power down all network devices including Lumin, NAS, iPad, etc.  After router has booted up from the DNS change, power cycle it again, along with all network switches or WiFi AP,  etc.  Wait for 5 minutes, then power everything back up.

Thanks for reply; I have reconfigured my router to use g00gle dns within my network, no change in U1mini lags.

Looking at the tcpdump output from my router, it seems to be somehow related to track caching: upon selecting track from Tidal album, U1mini starts downloading full track from Tidal servers immediately, but playback is started only after full track is downloaded. It corresponds to subjective observation, that initial lag is shorter for shorter tracks, and longer for longer tracks.

Is there any option I have missed specifying if track playback should start immediately after selection, or upon full track is downloaded? Anyway, this does not explain why first track is interrupted after 14 seconds.

I could attach tcpdump output, if useful.

5 hours ago, mc said:

Looking at the tcpdump output from my router, it seems to be somehow related to track caching: upon selecting track from Tidal album, U1mini starts downloading full track from Tidal servers immediately, but playback is started only after full track is downloaded.

Neither the buffering logic nor size were changed in the recent firmware.  We have always had a buffer for internet streaming.  Playback will start as soon as it reaches a minimum level, not until the full track is downloaded.  I'll send you an old firmware to retest.

Peter Lie

LUMIN Firmware Lead

@smodtactical I think some models you mentioned are DAC instead of the digital output-only like the U1 MINI.  Something is not Roon Ready, and due to the way its description is written some people misinterpret it to have MQA decoding but it actually does not - it just allows bit perfect music transmission like every other digital-output streamer does.  Yet another has no AES or coaxial output.

Peter Lie

LUMIN Firmware Lead

3 hours ago, wklie said:

@smodtactical I think some models you mentioned are DAC instead of the digital output-only like the U1 MINI.  Something is not Roon Ready, and due to the way its description is written some people misinterpret it to have MQA decoding but it actually does not - it just allows bit perfect music transmission like every other digital-output streamer does.  Yet another has no AES or coaxial output.

All the devices I mentioned are pure network streamers. No dacs or amps.

4 hours ago, smodtactical said:

Wow amazing post thank you so much.

Curious how are you using the sbooster with the lumin U1 mini since the lumin has a big 3 prong connection?

Have you heard the simaudio mind 2 or bryston bdp 2 or 3 ?

sBooster provides a special Lumin connection kit  (compatible with the U1 Mini, D2, and T2) where you need to remove the IEC assembly.

https://www.sbooster.com/botw-pp-eco-12-13v/lumin-d2-streamer.

There are most likely other mentions of the Lumin connection kit/sBooster in this topic.

3 minutes ago, FIndingit said:

The consensus on this forum seems to be that Paul Hynes SR7 is one of the very best and practically unobtainable power supply. No doubt a 12V version of it would be great with the U1 Mini.

Then how about the best obtainable, or at one definitely better than the SBooster?

8 hours ago, Doak said:

Interested. Which is "best", please.

Of course the sBooster is not the best available PSU. However with the Lumin connection kit it provides a practical method to directly connect to the DC power input on the Lumin motherboard. No other company provides this type of adapter. Also hundreds of Lumin units have been upgraded with excellent feedback. sBooster provides excellent step by step instructions with photographs explaining how to do the conversion, and they provide the necessary tools including the correct size Torx screwdriver to replace the IEC inlet.

NFrom HiFi Shark forum:
“You may insert a USB thumb drive to either USB 1 or 2 position. You can play files this way. However, browsing is slower and is restricted to folder view, unlike using MinimServer. If you also use USB output to DAC, i.e. reading USB thumb drive and outputting to USB DAC, there will be sample rate limitations due to the nature of USB.
Peter Lie, Lumin Firmware Lead”
Unfortunately it appears that this info  translates to “count me out” regarding the U1 Mini since I use a USB HD (LPSU powered) exclusively to feed my DAC.
On 8/17/2019 at 10:28 PM, loudog said:

It’s 11.5b

did factory reset and so far it seems like there’s less lag.

In case you're still experiencing more lag than you had with firmware 11.4, I have a beta firmware for you.

Peter Lie

LUMIN Firmware Lead