IGNORED

LUMIN - Audiophile Network Music Player

My X1 is inbound and I am considering an upgrade to my QNAP NAS to offer a fiber connection directly to the X1 via its internal fiber optic port.  I am quite naïve when it comes to networking so I am asking probably dumb questions but here goes.:

The QNAP adapter I am considering is a dual-port 10GBe SFP+ adapter and a TRENDnet Gigabit Multimode adapter on either end of the fiber.  Can I directly connect the NAS to the X1 via multimode fiber or do I need some sort of device in the middle to connect to the router to resolve I.P. addresses, etc.?

Again, I apologize for my networking ignorance and if my plans don't make sense please let me know.

Denafrips Terminator + DAC fed by a Denafrips GAIA DDC, HTPC running JRiver MC, iFi PRO iCAN Signature headphone amp, Marantz AV8805, OPPO BDP-105 for SACD ripping, Sony UBP-X100ES for watching and listening, McIntosh MC1201s Front L/R with Bryston powering the remaining 5 channels, B&W N-801s, B&W HTM-1 in Tiger Eye, B&W 801 IIIs on the sides and in the rear, JL-F212 sub, ReVOX PR-99Mk II, Rega P10 and Alpheta 3, PS Audio Nuwave Phono Amp, Audeze LCD-4 and LCD-XC, UE18 IEMs, Sony CD3000 rebuilt, Sony VPL-VW995ES laser projector, Joe Kane Affinity 120" screen, Cables: Cardas Clear Beyond speaker, Wireworld Platinum Elite 7 RCA, custom (by me) XLRs using affordable, quality parts 🙂

2 hours ago, BlueSkyy said:

My X1 is inbound and I am considering an upgrade to my QNAP NAS to offer a fiber connection directly to the X1 via its internal fiber optic port.  I am quite naïve when it comes to networking so I am asking probably dumb questions but here goes.:

I found the definitive thread on Audioshark so no need to respond to this post.

Denafrips Terminator + DAC fed by a Denafrips GAIA DDC, HTPC running JRiver MC, iFi PRO iCAN Signature headphone amp, Marantz AV8805, OPPO BDP-105 for SACD ripping, Sony UBP-X100ES for watching and listening, McIntosh MC1201s Front L/R with Bryston powering the remaining 5 channels, B&W N-801s, B&W HTM-1 in Tiger Eye, B&W 801 IIIs on the sides and in the rear, JL-F212 sub, ReVOX PR-99Mk II, Rega P10 and Alpheta 3, PS Audio Nuwave Phono Amp, Audeze LCD-4 and LCD-XC, UE18 IEMs, Sony CD3000 rebuilt, Sony VPL-VW995ES laser projector, Joe Kane Affinity 120" screen, Cables: Cardas Clear Beyond speaker, Wireworld Platinum Elite 7 RCA, custom (by me) XLRs using affordable, quality parts 🙂

The standard fiber configuration of Lumin X1 is like this:

SFP switch + SFP module - (fiber) - SFP module + Lumin X1

The WiFi router, NAS, or Roon Core should be connected to the SFP switch via Ethernet.

For sample configuration:

SFP switch such as:

https://www.amazon.com/SYSTEMS-24-Port-Gigabit-Switch-SG11224NA/dp/B00VPT8XSQ

(1. The Amazon photo is wrong, the switch should be compact.  2. This is an end-of-life product that Cisco ceases hardware support on December 31, 2020.  3. It used to be available for less than $99.)

A pair of the same brand and type of single-mode 1310nm SFP modules such as:

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00U8PN0NQ/ref=psdc_537316_t1_B0000AZJZL

(This choice of SFP module needs to be compatible with the SFP switch above.  Note that SFP+ is not supported.)

LC-LC single-mode 9/125um Corning duplex fiber:

https://www.ebay.com/itm/3m-LC-LC-Duplex-9-125um-Corning-Clearcurve-Single-Mode-Bend-Insensitive-Fiber/332640995774?hash=item4d72f2c9be:g:mdUAAOSw7tVa7Ocm:rk:3:pf:0

In this setup, it is absolutely important not to connect both the fiber and copper Ethernet to the switch - this creates a loop and will bring down your whole network.  We actually had someone try this in our office by mistake, so I can tell you the effect. 🤣

3 hours ago, BlueSkyy said:

The QNAP adapter I am considering is a dual-port 10GBe SFP+ adapter and a TRENDnet Gigabit Multimode adapter on either end of the fiber.  Can I directly connect the NAS to the X1 via multimode fiber or do I need some sort of device in the middle to connect to the router to resolve I.P. addresses, etc.? 

A Taiwan review of Lumin X1 actually did something similar, and I translated the article here:

https://www.audioshark.org/showthread.php?t=15466&page=4&p=263007&viewfull=1#post263007

A fiber bridged setup should look like this (but we never tried this at Lumin, so at this time I don't recommend people doing this unless they really want to try this):

WiFi router or switch - (CAT-5e / 6) - copper Ethernet port of Lumin X1 - SFP module of Lumin X1 - (fiber) - SFP Module + QNAP SFP network card

In this setup, both copper and SFP network ports of Lumin X1 are used, but no loop is formed here.  The Lumin X1 bridges the QNAP to the network, so the QNAP gets the IP address from the WiFi router.  Everything is still on the same subnet.  You should not need the Trendnet FMC here unless you're talking about a different kind of network configuration.

Multi-mode also works, but I suggest single-mode.  Note that they use different modules and different fiber.

Peter Lie

LUMIN Firmware Lead

5 hours ago, greyscale said:

Linn App not working with D2 intermittent or not at all. Has Linn changed something in the App?. Android and Mohave affected here with a D2.

Power off the D2 and all control devices.  Power cycle the router and all network switches / access points.  Wait for 5 minutes then power everything up.

Peter Lie

LUMIN Firmware Lead

On March 20, 2019 at 10:47 PM, wklie said:

That is still true for X1.  The S1 beta firmware was sent to you in PM.

I no longer have the S1 and I am happily burning in a new black X1.  Out of the box I notice a much more three dimensional sound stage somewhat akin to Bob Carver's "Sonic Hologram" system from the late 1960s.  Very tasty!

Also is the beta firmware that was built to address HDMI handshake issues with the AV8805 applicable to the X1 as well?

Thanks

10 hours ago, BlueSkyy said:

I no longer have the S1 and I am happily burning in a new black X1.  Out of the box I notice a much more three dimensional sound stage

Yes!  This is one of the major improvements made in X1 regarding SQ.

X1 does not have HDMI output.

Peter Lie

LUMIN Firmware Lead

I couldn't find an HDMI output either!  😉

Reposting @BlueSkyy impressions of Lumin X1 in https://www.audioshark.org/showthread.php?t=14248&page=21&p=269022#post269022

My early impressions of moving from the S1 to the X1 are, quite literally, beyond my expectations! For me at this point in my listening career, it’s all about sound stage for and my venerable B&W N800s have literally faded from view. At times before with the S1, I could identify where the speakers were positioned with certain pieces of music even with eyes closed. With the X1, the speakers are gone and the sound field extends well to the sides of the speakers even encroaching on where the side surrounds would be if I were in 5.1 surround mode. I actually had to get up and check if I had something mis-configured just to be sure. There is also a glorious sense of height both above and below the speakers as well as depth that I was not prepared for. Astonishing!

(The material I am currently listening to is some works by Isao Tomita, a Japanese master of the synthesizer, including “Kosmos” and “The Bermuda Triangle”. I am looking forward to listening to more symphonic music later on.

Peter Lie

LUMIN Firmware Lead

10 hours ago, Ralf11 said:

I had no idea Kevin was that old!  I bought my Audio Research pre-amp from him and the video nails his ... "uptempo" speedy voice - I thought he 25...

I tell ya, he is like that in person, speedy non-stop its like he has drank a load of espresso

The Truth Is Out There

A dealer has this to say about the new Lumin AMP (Class AB) at https://www.audioshark.org/axpona-138/axpona-2019-best-16274.html

Lumin/Vivid Giya G2. ... It was clearly the sleeper of the show. The new Lumin amps were doing the duties in bridged mode and had the speakers totally under control and displaying incredible musicality with no faults.

Best new amplifier:

... the new Lumin AMP. What a sleeper. Terrific musical sound. Liquid and smooth with perfect balance.

We have just got a new batch of Lumin AMP (silver). US MSRP is roughly in the ballpark of Lumin X1.

Peter Lie

LUMIN Firmware Lead

I am borrowing a friend's U1 Network Transport for comparison with my current U1 Mini.

I like the performance improvement of the U1 but the X1 has me salivating, 😋.

I read that the new X1 PSU can be used with the S1/A1/T1 using a special adapter cable. Apparently it will also work with the U1.

I can see the obvious benefit for the Network Players which have both the transport and DAC (analog and digital sections). 

Question: How much of a performance improvement will the X1 PSU give to the U1 Network Transport and is this a worthwhile upgrade (versus the Network Players)? What features of the X1 PSU beyond the CNC milled enclosure provide a benefit to the U1?

The U1 is based on the transport technology of the S1.

Question: What improvements have been made to the transport technology of the X1 versus the S1/U1. There has been much discussion on the improvement on the DAC technology and it is easy to figure this out from the technical specifications and reviews.

Which of the following improvements would apply to the transport only functionality (I have crossed out the features that I assume apply to the DAC section only):

• New processor delivers native DSD512 & PCM768 playback
  • Dual Mono design throughout maximises channel separation
  • Dual ES9038Pro SABRE DACs featuring 140dB dynamic range
  • Femto Clock System with precision FPGA distribution
  • New Output Buffer design
  • Dual Mono dual stage linear regulator
  • Optical Network provides complete isolation from network digital noise
  • USB Digital Audio Output supports Native DSD512

Is there any improvement on the S/PDIF digital output section on the X1 versus the S1/U1?

Are there any other improvements to the transport section of the X1 versus the S1/U1 that are worth mentioning?

From the U1 to X1, the major differences for the transport SQ are the improved design of the X1 PSU, improved power supply circuit on the X1 board, the femto clock and support for optical network.  U1 / U1 MINI / T2 / X1 use the same processor for transport functionality, different from that for S1 (despite the marketing description).

Peter Lie

LUMIN Firmware Lead

Peter:

Thanks for the answers on the U1 vs X1.

In the U1 settings ->Digital Audio Output Setting the S/PDIF, AES/EBU, and Toslink settings can be turned off.

If one is using the S/PDIF output and doesn't care about direct connected USB storage device, it would be nice to turn off the USB input/output.

-->

Is this possible? My guess is no (to support USB storage devices) but it is worth asking.

1 hour ago, greyscale said:

Just found Minumstream app. Can this be used with a D2? 

I tried to googled it but could not find what it is.  Please check the spelling and/or give me a link to look at.

Peter Lie

LUMIN Firmware Lead

Yes, MinimStreamer should work as we have success reports of using it to transcode DSD128 to PCM for playback with DSD64-only Lumin A1 / T1 / D1.

D2 supports DSD128, so MinimStreamer is not necessary for DSD128 playback.

However since you call it an "app", I'm not sure it is what you think it is.

Peter Lie

LUMIN Firmware Lead