IGNORED

LUMIN - Audiophile Network Music Player

17 hours ago, The Computer Audiophile said:

Given the price of Qobuz and its superior product, I wouldn’t wish Amazon Music HD on my worst enemy. 

My trial is due to end so I’ve switched to Tidal and will see how we get along.

For the Sonos casual system I can also access Apple Music for its playlist on a 6 month trial, wife is more used to selecting from AM.

The endless river is sounding better on Tidal.

Setup:

Lumin D2> Roksan Blak> Focal 806

Just a thought.  The 10A fuse was put in there for some reason either by mistake or on purpose.  If it was put in on purpose it may have been to keep the system running if the 2A was blowing occasionally due to a slightly wonky power supply or issues with the load (the S1).  I'd get a supply of cheap 2A fuses and run the system with a cheap one before popping in a $150 fuse only to have it go up in smoke.

Denafrips Terminator + DAC fed by a Denafrips GAIA DDC, HTPC running JRiver MC, iFi PRO iCAN Signature headphone amp, Marantz AV8805, OPPO BDP-105 for SACD ripping, Sony UBP-X100ES for watching and listening, McIntosh MC1201s Front L/R with Bryston powering the remaining 5 channels, B&W N-801s, B&W HTM-1 in Tiger Eye, B&W 801 IIIs on the sides and in the rear, JL-F212 sub, ReVOX PR-99Mk II, Rega P10 and Alpheta 3, PS Audio Nuwave Phono Amp, Audeze LCD-4 and LCD-XC, UE18 IEMs, Sony CD3000 rebuilt, Sony VPL-VW995ES laser projector, Joe Kane Affinity 120" screen, Cables: Cardas Clear Beyond speaker, Wireworld Platinum Elite 7 RCA, custom (by me) XLRs using affordable, quality parts 🙂

My pleasure (after having been through just such as situation myself earlier in life)!

Denafrips Terminator + DAC fed by a Denafrips GAIA DDC, HTPC running JRiver MC, iFi PRO iCAN Signature headphone amp, Marantz AV8805, OPPO BDP-105 for SACD ripping, Sony UBP-X100ES for watching and listening, McIntosh MC1201s Front L/R with Bryston powering the remaining 5 channels, B&W N-801s, B&W HTM-1 in Tiger Eye, B&W 801 IIIs on the sides and in the rear, JL-F212 sub, ReVOX PR-99Mk II, Rega P10 and Alpheta 3, PS Audio Nuwave Phono Amp, Audeze LCD-4 and LCD-XC, UE18 IEMs, Sony CD3000 rebuilt, Sony VPL-VW995ES laser projector, Joe Kane Affinity 120" screen, Cables: Cardas Clear Beyond speaker, Wireworld Platinum Elite 7 RCA, custom (by me) XLRs using affordable, quality parts 🙂

@wklie I have discovered that Lumin App now seems to display composer instead of artist for Qobuz, but not Tidal - is this intended? Please see attached screenshots

Also, I have a feature request : In Listview for Qobuz and Tidal, could you please a column with recording Year, so it Will be possible to quickly identify latest release Year for a newly discovered Artist for example ;-)

Otherwise sincere thanks for a great app!

70DB56ED-CFE9-45AA-89A7-D7A033F580DE.png

A5EA47CF-B7C9-40A8-A97F-A7DB27B2C236.png

8 hours ago, Easterman said:

Lumin App now seems to display composer instead of artist for Qobuz, but not Tidal - is this intended?

Our preliminary analysis - The name shown is the performer(artist), not the composer, from Qobuz.  Even Qobuz web player is showing the same name.

Peter Lie

LUMIN Firmware Lead

Regarding the analog outputs of the X1, I am currently connecting the X1 via the balanced outputs to the single balanced input on my preamplifier via a 1.0 meter pair of Wireworld Gold Eclipse 7 cables.  In my new hardware configuration, I need the single XLR input on the preamp for other duties (a lengthy run (16 feet) from the output of my phono preamp) for the benefits of common mode noise rejection, etc. that a balanced connection would afford me and am considering moving the X1 to an unbalanced connection.  I have listened to the X1 via both the XLR (Wireworld cables mentioned above) and the RCA outputs (RCA via relatively inexpensive unbalanced cables) and my ears cannot reliably detect any real difference other than maybe some induced by my own personal biases (XLR is better than RCA).

My question is for those of you who have experimented with both the analog outputs of the X1:  Which do you prefer and why?

Thanks for your thoughts!

17 hours ago, Easterman said:

In Listview for Qobuz and Tidal, could you please a column with recording Year, so it Will be possible to quickly identify latest release Year for a newly discovered Artist for example 😉

Unfortunately, it seems that the search results from the API do not include this piece of information.  It is not viable to perform an extra query for every result.

Peter Lie

LUMIN Firmware Lead

I just bought Lumin U1 Mini. I think it is a wonderful gear. Two issues though. I run it with my Samsung Galaxy Android 8.1.0 (32 GB). I have set up a hirdwired laptop (W10) connected with a HDD to the router as a server. My music software is JRiver v26 which is run in DNLA mode in "Audiophile 24 bits dac". 

1. The app works quite ok normally but other times it does not connect to the U1 Mini after having been in stand by. I try over and over. Sometimes it helps to make hard restart on the U1 Mini. Other times I have remove the app and reinstall it (and reload my music library of 4.080 albums). Is there someting I have missed?

2. I also tried to run the U1 Mini using JRiver in JRemote. It works but I have not found a way to play gapless. Any advices and solutions known to you?

(Reason I use JRiver is that I have more tags possibilities i JRiver, mainly on classical music like searching by soloist, conductor, composer, orchestra for the same albums - that is why I'm also reluctant to go for a NAS with Minim Server. Impacting is also the amount of allbums I have to rework).

@Ropet

1. Without power cycling the Lumin, please try Linn Kazoo app and JRiver on your Windows laptop (not the Android phone) to isolate the problem.  For Android you may also try Linn Kazoo app or Bubble DS Next.

2. JRiver gapless has worked for Lumin since April 2013.  It also worked when I tested it again a year ago.  Please make sure the music you test are from the same album in the same lossless format (e.g. 16/44.1 FLAC) in the right order.  And make sure Disable SetNext is unchecked.

Peter Lie

LUMIN Firmware Lead

Thanks for your quick support, @wklie It is really appreciated.

I have not tried 2) yet on JRiver yet, but I will. At the same time I'm beginning to like Lumin app more and more. The problem I desribed previously 1) is still there. I have tried also Linn Kazoo and Bubble DS but same result. It is not a problem once the U1 Mini opened up. The issue is that it does note wake up through the app. The server is vissible but not the Lumin.

What I do now is that I just clear the play list and let Lumin display stay with the blue ring. I have disabled the stand by function. Then there are no issues, but I can't get it live from the app and it is the same with Bubble and Linn.

I hope you can give me some hints on how go about it.

I'd like to have this tested on a wired network, so it rules out the Lumin app on iPad (which requires something to be wired).

When the Lumin is in standby, please verify that Linn Kazoo app on a wired computer can see the Lumin.  It should also be possible to manually wake up the Lumin using this app - please check this.

Peter Lie

LUMIN Firmware Lead

They were spot on with the review but, then, I have been thoroughly biased towards Lumin products beginning with the love affairs with the A1, the S1 and now the X1.  It's the three dimensional sound stage the X1 provides that is most attractive to me.

On 12/23/2019 at 2:38 AM, wklie said:

please check this.

I will look into this after Christmas as I do not want to jeopardize the use during the X-mas. It works very well if I let the U1 Mini be on day and night or turn on/off on the back.

Just a comment on my tablet. I use Galaxy tablet SM-T580 (32 GB) with Android 8.1.0

I will revert as soon as I have tried.