IGNORED

LUMIN - Audiophile Network Music Player

On 12/23/2019 at 2:38 AM, wklie said:

I'd like to have this tested on a wired network, so it rules out the Lumin app on iPad

@wklie My issue with my remote is solved. I bought an iPad and now everything is working as supposed. It seams there is an interface problem between the Lumin iPad app and the one made for Android or that there is a special feature thar has to be closed or ticked in Android. However, I can't find any. Another difference is that the Android Lumin app close down "time after time". The Android app seems not be ready, which is a pity. There are many Android tablets and mobiles out there.

Anyway, my problem seems to be over and I am very satisfied with my U1 Mini. It looks great, sounds excellent with a well working app on iPads.

Just a final (?) question: what does the function "Diable Auto-Lock" do with the options "Off - Playing - Charging" do? I can't find any explanation on this on your home page

9 hours ago, Ropet said:

what does the function "Diable Auto-Lock" do with the options "Off - Playing - Charging" do?

iPad should default to lock screen after timeout.  When you have music playing, if you don't want the iPad to turn the screen black automatically, you may try this option.

Peter Lie

LUMIN Firmware Lead

I bought a LUMIN U1 Mini. Unfortunaly it was far away from a ”Plug & Play” experience. The good news is that I can’t blame any of this on LUMIN.

My first experience was ”network error” on Lumin. It ended up in buying a new router as the one provided from my network supplier did not work together with U1 Mini. Second experience was instable app using Android. It closed down numbers of time and on top of this it could not wake up U1 Mini from ”stand by” position. Why my Android did not work I can only guess. Obviously some conflict of some sort. So I bought an iPad and since then everything works great. I’m very satisfied. 

I also have a question for you. I have set up U1 Mini using JRiver in my laptop which is also my server just sending unprocessed files from a HDD connected over USB to my laptop and then over my network to U1 Mini. I also use the laptop for ripping, downloading and catalogue structure built and maintained in JRiver. The laptop is dedicated for this mission only. I only stream my private files, about 300 downloaded hi-res files and 4,000 ripped albums (about 1,000 more to go). I have no interest of Roon or streaming from external sources. I’m the old fashion type that want to own my albums.

This is how I have set it up today (sorry for some Swedish words but I think you get it).

The reason I use AES/EBU is due to I’m not in favour of the USB contact quality. For sound I find them equal with some (small) favor for AES/EBU but the main advantage is stability.

91D8332A-E30F-471F-9941-49DC7102A592.jpeg.1740eee60dee1b458f9ce00c1a9b08ed.jpeg

My intention has been to connect a NAS but after reading back and forth, not least on this forum, I am a bit reluctant to do so. My main concerns are the following: 

• With a NAS as server I need a new software to maintain the files. The most talked about is MinimServer (together with Java). What I am afraid of is to rebuild the structure I used with JRiver for approx 4,300 albums and also the album images I have replaced with higher resolution (a couple of hundreds). Do you know a way to export the structure from JRiver (artist - album - genre - year - recent ripped (plus composer - soloist - conductor - orchestra on classical music)?
  • Do you see any ”concerns” or issues continue as I do it? Points of improvements?

Sorry for long post but I do not get a clear picture reading all posts using one or the other way. They are going all ways from negative to positive on both using NAS and MinimServer so I hope I can get your opinion my solution in a more direct way.

Lumin app is designed to work with MinimServer.  If you'd like to try it, I suggest you install MinimServer on your laptop first.  This way you'll find out whether this transition is doable and good enough for you before committing to purchase a NAS (either QNAP or Synology) for this.

For exporting from JRiver and transitioning to MinimServer, you may also consider posting in JRiver forum and MinimServer forum.

Peter Lie

LUMIN Firmware Lead

....and you can operate JRiver directly from a QNAP NAS.

Just download the JRiver for QNAP App on your QNAP NAS and let it run from there.  You no longer need a PC.

You just upload new content to your folder in the NAS.  And then update your JRiver using the "import a single folder".

(Audio)

8 hours ago, Audio said:

....and you can operate JRiver directly from a QNAP NAS.

Just download the JRiver for QNAP App on your QNAP NAS and let it run from there.  You no longer need a PC.

You just upload new content to your folder in the NAS.  And then update your JRiver using the "import a single folder".

(Audio)

This is very interesting to me but when I went to the application section on both my NAS systems I could not find JRiver available for download and installation.  Possibly it's available only on specific NAS systems and not mine?

Where did you find the application again?

Denafrips Terminator + DAC fed by a Denafrips GAIA DDC, HTPC running JRiver MC, iFi PRO iCAN Signature headphone amp, Marantz AV8805, OPPO BDP-105 for SACD ripping, Sony UBP-X100ES for watching and listening, McIntosh MC1201s Front L/R with Bryston powering the remaining 5 channels, B&W N-801s, B&W HTM-1 in Tiger Eye, B&W 801 IIIs on the sides and in the rear, JL-F212 sub, ReVOX PR-99Mk II, Rega P10 and Alpheta 3, PS Audio Nuwave Phono Amp, Audeze LCD-4 and LCD-XC, UE18 IEMs, Sony CD3000 rebuilt, Sony VPL-VW995ES laser projector, Joe Kane Affinity 120" screen, Cables: Cardas Clear Beyond speaker, Wireworld Platinum Elite 7 RCA, custom (by me) XLRs using affordable, quality parts 🙂

6 hours ago, BlueSkyy said:

Where did you find the application again?

I went out looking and found this:

https://www.google.com/url?sa=t&source=web&rct=j&url=https://download.qnap.com/QPKG/GUIDE/Jriver_ENG.pdf&ved=2ahUKEwj1ueb3vuDmAhWO-ioKHQc8CQkQFjAEegQIAhAB&usg=AOvVaw0ooHYtTcqMgGDNOEggvA0K

I talked to a friend working with IT in his profession. He warned me a bit at this requires a "Docker/Container-teknology". Don't ask me what this means (yet). I will look into it to understand. The guy told me that I have to rebuils my IT structure to make this work. I can't say what this means in practice either. First we celebrate new year...

Got it and thanks!  I misunderstood that it was a QNAP application install like minimserver.  I see it installs under or as an HD Station application.  As I don't typically have a keyboard/mouse/display connected to the NAS I think I'll stay with my HTPC at this point.

Denafrips Terminator + DAC fed by a Denafrips GAIA DDC, HTPC running JRiver MC, iFi PRO iCAN Signature headphone amp, Marantz AV8805, OPPO BDP-105 for SACD ripping, Sony UBP-X100ES for watching and listening, McIntosh MC1201s Front L/R with Bryston powering the remaining 5 channels, B&W N-801s, B&W HTM-1 in Tiger Eye, B&W 801 IIIs on the sides and in the rear, JL-F212 sub, ReVOX PR-99Mk II, Rega P10 and Alpheta 3, PS Audio Nuwave Phono Amp, Audeze LCD-4 and LCD-XC, UE18 IEMs, Sony CD3000 rebuilt, Sony VPL-VW995ES laser projector, Joe Kane Affinity 120" screen, Cables: Cardas Clear Beyond speaker, Wireworld Platinum Elite 7 RCA, custom (by me) XLRs using affordable, quality parts 🙂

After hours and hours testing back and forth using USB or AES/ESB cables, I have decided to go for AES/EBU on my Lumin U1 Mini. First of all the XLR contacts feels more secure. With USB cables (Transparent) I have had a couple of occasions where Lumin lose contact with the dac. If this is due to Lumin, the contacts or the dac I can't say. (When I used laptop as a player it happened quite frequent). With AES/EBU I have not had this issue. It feels much more stable. On top of this I think it sounds a bit tighter thou it is on the margin and I can't say it is reality or just a feeling. That this will give max pcm 24/192 I do not see as an issue.

At the same time I have 100+ dsd-albums that I prefer to play in their native format. So I tried to connect the USB cable as well and witched source on the dac when I play dsd. It worked well. But when going back to pcm over AES/EBU it did not work. It was "hacking". I reboted Lumin and then it was OK again but only to back next time again. Obviously it is not possible to have two connections at the same time like from a preamplifier.

A request for the future is to make this possible. It increase flexibility instead connect and disconnect cables. A question of curiosity is why this is not working as an option today?

@wklie Does the Lumin software provide a sync delay setting like Roon & Aurender to give DACs additional time for sample rate changes? This can be particularly useful/helpful when using S/PDIF inputs. I'm considering a U1 but would really like to have this feature available.

Main System: [Synology DS216, Rpi-4b LMS (pCP)], Holo Audio Red, Ayre QX-5 Twenty, Ayre KX-5 Twenty, Ayre VX-5 Twenty, Revel Ultima Studio2, Iconoclast speaker cables & interconnects, RealTraps acoustic treatments

Living Room: Sonore ultraRendu, Ayre QB-9DSD, Simaudio MOON 340iX, B&W 802 Diamond

9 hours ago, wklie said:

There is a built-in delay that is not customizable.

Thanks. That is interesting, how long is the delay?

Main System: [Synology DS216, Rpi-4b LMS (pCP)], Holo Audio Red, Ayre QX-5 Twenty, Ayre KX-5 Twenty, Ayre VX-5 Twenty, Revel Ultima Studio2, Iconoclast speaker cables & interconnects, RealTraps acoustic treatments

Living Room: Sonore ultraRendu, Ayre QB-9DSD, Simaudio MOON 340iX, B&W 802 Diamond

On 1/4/2020 at 9:59 AM, wklie said:

For Lumin U1 or U1 MINI, please disconnect the USB before you use the AES / BNC / RCA / toslink output.  The presence of USB DAC is automatically detected and it'll override the other outputs.

If I understand correctly . . . I have the Mini connected to North Star Design DAC via usb and aes. No issues, no unplugging cables. I just toggle the switch on the front of the NSD to choose the cable I want to use (DAC has no RC, wish it did)

8 hours ago, roadCingKlassik said:

. I have the Mini connected to North Star Design DAC via usb and aes.

This worked for me as well but not allways. It starts "tugging" when going from one to other. But if I reboot it worked again until next switch. I use Aesthetix Romulus dac. 

@wklie, I see the that two of the three Linear power supplies you mentioned have different specs.  The Sbooster is 12-13 volt@3A and the PLiXiR Elite BDC Linear Power Supply Kit for Lumin D2 / Lumin U1 - Mini is 12 volts@2A.  Will 2 or 3 amps both work fine with the U1 mini?

Thanks for your support.