IGNORED

LUMIN - Audiophile Network Music Player

True story:

Back in the day when I lived in Bermuda, I had an old Bob Carver Phase Linear 700 amplifier that continued to blow fuses in the right channel.  It was party time, and I was getting tired of replacing the fuses every couple of minutes until I ran out of fuses.  I got the "bright" idea to wrap the blown right channel fuse with aluminum foil as an interim solution.  The right channel was back in action until there was this loud pop and smoke and the speaker grill on the right channel speaker, a Pioneer with a 15" woofer, went flying across the room.  The voice coil of the woofer was no longer in place but well in front of the speaker and it was the excursion of that voice coil that threw the speaker grill across the room.  What had happened was that one of the output transistors shorted putting 110 vdc across the speaker terminals.

A word to the wise should be sufficent.

Denafrips Terminator + DAC fed by a Denafrips GAIA DDC, HTPC running JRiver MC, iFi PRO iCAN Signature headphone amp, Marantz AV8805, OPPO BDP-105 for SACD ripping, Sony UBP-X100ES for watching and listening, McIntosh MC1201s Front L/R with Bryston powering the remaining 5 channels, B&W N-801s, B&W HTM-1 in Tiger Eye, B&W 801 IIIs on the sides and in the rear, JL-F212 sub, ReVOX PR-99Mk II, Rega P10 and Alpheta 3, PS Audio Nuwave Phono Amp, Audeze LCD-4 and LCD-XC, UE18 IEMs, Sony CD3000 rebuilt, Sony VPL-VW995ES laser projector, Joe Kane Affinity 120" screen, Cables: Cardas Clear Beyond speaker, Wireworld Platinum Elite 7 RCA, custom (by me) XLRs using affordable, quality parts 🙂

28 minutes ago, Markus8 said:

@wklie Can you help with that?

Yes.  No.  Maybe.  You need to define what low latency is.  In telecommunications and or in a chat environment low latency could be anything less than 150ms.  When listening to music does it really matter?

it is an interesting question however.

Denafrips Terminator + DAC fed by a Denafrips GAIA DDC, HTPC running JRiver MC, iFi PRO iCAN Signature headphone amp, Marantz AV8805, OPPO BDP-105 for SACD ripping, Sony UBP-X100ES for watching and listening, McIntosh MC1201s Front L/R with Bryston powering the remaining 5 channels, B&W N-801s, B&W HTM-1 in Tiger Eye, B&W 801 IIIs on the sides and in the rear, JL-F212 sub, ReVOX PR-99Mk II, Rega P10 and Alpheta 3, PS Audio Nuwave Phono Amp, Audeze LCD-4 and LCD-XC, UE18 IEMs, Sony CD3000 rebuilt, Sony VPL-VW995ES laser projector, Joe Kane Affinity 120" screen, Cables: Cardas Clear Beyond speaker, Wireworld Platinum Elite 7 RCA, custom (by me) XLRs using affordable, quality parts 🙂

3 hours ago, BlueSkyy said:

Yes.  No.  Maybe.  You need to define what low latency is.  In telecommunications and or in a chat environment low latency could be anything less than 150ms.  When listening to music does it really matter?

Not applicable for Lumin, but here's a useful program for Windows PCs called LatencyMon, a "Real-time audio suitability checker":

LatencyMon checks if a system running Windows is suitable for processing real-time audio and other tasks. LatencyMon analyzes the possible causes of buffer underruns by measuring kernel timer latencies and reporting DPC and ISR execution times as well as hard pagefaults. It will provide a comprehensible report and find the kernel modules and processes responsible for causing audio latencies which result in drop outs. It also provides the functionality of an ISR monitor, DPC monitor and a hard pagefault monitor.

LatencyMon will display the highest latencies of a kernel timer and report the highest execution times of ISR and DPC routines as well as hard pagefaults. In most cases it will also find the drivers and processes responsible for executing them. It will create a comprehensible report which also displays all sampled data in a detailed manner allowing you to perform in-depth analysis.

6 minutes ago, audio.bill said:

Not applicable for Lumin, but here's a useful program for Windows PCs called LatencyMon, a "Real-time audio suitability checker":

LatencyMon checks if a system running Windows is suitable for processing real-time audio and other tasks. LatencyMon analyzes the possible causes of buffer underruns by measuring kernel timer latencies and reporting DPC and ISR execution times as well as hard pagefaults. It will provide a comprehensible report and find the kernel modules and processes responsible for causing audio latencies which result in drop outs. It also provides the functionality of an ISR monitor, DPC monitor and a hard pagefault monitor.

LatencyMon will display the highest latencies of a kernel timer and report the highest execution times of ISR and DPC routines as well as hard pagefaults. In most cases it will also find the drivers and processes responsible for executing them. It will create a comprehensible report which also displays all sampled data in a detailed manner allowing you to perform in-depth analysis.

Yes I use LatencyMon for PC.  NVIDIA drivers kill my audio performance with JRiver.

2 minutes ago, The Computer Audiophile said:

I should also add that I have friends who swear by the absolute lowest latency achievable. It doesn't make sense to me, but it doesn't have to. I even except the ultimate in high latency, the postman delivering an album after ordering it :~)

For me, the postman always rings twice.

21 hours ago, Lmn said:

The Lumin U2 mini is equipped with an spdif-output. It‘s not necessary to convert the signal from usb to spdif.🤔

I know, that's what I thought for ten years too 😂

Then you hear the Berkeley and wonder, where have you been all of my life?

Waversa hub > Lumin S1 > Bakoon HPA-21

On 3/12/2024 at 6:20 PM, BlueSkyy said:

Well similar to what RoPieee and HQPlayer have released recently. And many users report from better sound quality. 

We have released a new feature in Lumin app for both iOS (app version 9.2.1) and Android (app version 6.2.0) to display Qobuz Musical Work, which is primarily useful for classical music.

Note that if you have set Lumin app to use Double Tap, this will be applicable to radio or external audio input (P1 or M1).

Peter Lie

LUMIN Firmware Lead

4 minutes ago, wklie said:

We have released a new feature in Lumin app for both iOS (app version 9.2.1) and Android (app version 6.2.0) to display Qobuz Musical Work, which is primarily useful for classical music.

Note that if you have set Lumin app to use Double Tap, this will be applicable to radio or external audio input (P1 or M1).

That’s great Peter! Thanks. It works fine … can we expect this feature with Minimserver too?

IMG_3124.png

Stefano

My audio system

Listening impressions of Lumin T3 review from Qobuz magazine via AI translation:

T3 also benefits from its dual-mono architecture to create a sound devoid of any possible impurities, at a reference level in this price range. The elements are perfectly delineated, with unwavering precision, as on the drums of small jazz ensembles (such as Kind of Blue) or rock bands (like Led Zeppelin). In classical music, Holst’s The Planets (Karajan Decca or Levine DG version) allows each instrument in a large symphony orchestra to be defined, bringing out countless details and illuminating every harp or flute intervention.

At the same time, listening to a much more subdued album like London Circa 1720 (HM), dedicated to Corelli’s pieces performed by the ensemble La Rêveuse, highlights the perfect timbre of the violins and especially the flute, while capturing every breath and preserving its magnificent flexibility. Similarly, Scott Ross’s harpsichord in his famous recordings of Scarlatti’s sonatas is showcased with remarkable string detail, already very fine with the U2 mini connected to our DAC, but even more subtle and defined thanks to the U2 and therefore the T3, whose conversion perfectly matches the purity of the network streamer. In the latest album Elles by Youn Sun Nah, the calm rendition of Nina Simone’s “Feeling Good” immediately transports you to the purest and brightest sounds imaginable, providing constant pleasure.

Peter Lie

LUMIN Firmware Lead

Nice review of the D3. Of interest for me was the Lab report section. The findings and information there has been very helpful to further fine tune my X1. Very helpful information - thanks to the writer and Peter for sharing.

@wklie

With regards to the Lumin app, is there any work being done to add Amazon Music HD or Apple Music? I'd also really appreciate an interactive radio paradise ability - similar to their apps.(the ability to skip songs and see artist/track info) All of these services are available on other streamers, but they don't have the sound quality that I get from my new U2. Any update would be appreciated.

16 minutes ago, Chiller said:

Does anybody know if it's possible to clear the playlist in the Lumin app without stopping the currently playing song? Sometimes I like to change up my playlist, but want to keep the music going.

LUMIN only plays from it's playlist, so no, clearing it will stop playback.
If you want music while clearing the playlist you could switch to a different streaming source - Spotify Connect, TIDAL Connect, AirPlay or FLAC Radio will play instead of the normal App playlist.

Associated with LUMIN - The Audiophile Network Music Player.

1 hour ago, thingswelike said:

LUMIN only plays from it's playlist, so no, clearing it will stop playback.
If you want music while clearing the playlist you could switch to a different streaming source - Spotify Connect, TIDAL Connect, AirPlay or FLAC Radio will play instead of the normal App playlist.

Thanks for the response, that's unfortunate - hopefully that could be provided as an option - Roon can do it...