IGNORED

LUMIN - Audiophile Network Music Player

2 minutes ago, stefano_mbp said:

Just to better understand … in this post you say there are issues with X1 playing DSD and DXD files from usb but the U2Mini works fine

… and here you say U2Mini has issues … it’s difficult to understand

Sorry for the confusion. The X1 does not play DSD or DXD files from its USB input but The U2 mini plays them fine. I am concerned that as Wilkie said not to use the USB input with an external SSD drive self powered for this playback I might be doing some damage to the U2 mini.

1 hour ago, stefano_mbp said:

@ItsintheTiming reading about the Naim Core it seems you can connect an external usb hdd/hdd to it, in this way all the content of the external hdd/ssd should be available through the Naim Core UPNP server … maybe this can solve your issue with X1

….

but maybe the Naim isn’t compatibile with DSD/DXD …

Thank you so much Stefano your good idea worked. Attaching the external self powered SSD drive via USB to the Naim Core adds all the DSD files etc to the Core's library accessible via the Lumin app and when played back on the U2 mini via its USB output to my Holo Audio Spring 3 v2 DAC they are playing as native DSD.

5 minutes ago, ItsintheTiming said:

Thank you so much Stefano your good idea worked. Attaching the external self powered SSD drive via USB to the Naim Core adds all the DSD files etc to the Core's library accessible via the Lumin app and when played back on the U2 mini via its USB output to my Holo Audio Spring 3 v2 DAC they are playing as native DSD.

That’s great! Glad you could solve your issue

Stefano

My audio system

AI Translation of D3 listening notes from FIDELITY-Magazine.com

If I read it correctly, the D3 is reviewed in Roon Only mode.

The little Lumin has power. Its sound immediately captivates the listener. It is rhythmically precise, rich in color, well-defined, and has substance. While “breathing” spaces or holographically reconstructed stages came to mind as spontaneous reactions with other digital players, it is the small Lumin’s physical, dense representation that plays captivatingly forward and is fun from the first note. This does not mean that it lacks atmosphere or resolution - both are simply not the focus. One could certainly attest to the D3’s particularly pleasant and holistic handling of the high frequencies.

In a direct comparison with my Aqua La Voce S3 DAC, the Lumin wins with that very punch. That is more than just a commendable achievement. After all, the Italian DAC is an elaborately built R2R converter, supplied by two linear power supplies based on toroidal transformers, while the Lumin is powered by a switching power supply. Granted, after more intense listening, the Aqua can catch up with its inherent elegance and openness. But the D3 remains the fun machine.

Peter Lie

LUMIN Firmware Lead

@wklie
Hi,

I am thinking of putting a Lumin, the U2 mini, in my system ... I would ask your opinion, though, on whether it brings improvement or not, this is the current scheme:

lan (from the wall) --> FMC --> fiber optic --> FMC -->NUC with Roon Rock -->usb (no power supply) --> Matrix X-Spdif2 --> AES --> dac (my dac has no usb or I2s input and do not manage DSD)

now... I think most of the problems in a usb audio connection come from noises carried by the +V in the usb (internal noise from the pc)... others from noises from the lan... then the others noise from the power supply  

all participants in my system (excluding the dac) are powered through dedicated linear power supply, each its own

I know that in AES clock quality is very important to reduce jitter as much as possible, according to what they state in Matrix the quality should be quite good

the way I have structured my system should have isolated all sources of noise

the question is:

if I replace the Matrix with the U2mini, eliminating the direct NUC-->Matrix connection, and inserting a lan switch to thus have a NUC/Roon --> U2mini/dac connection (possibly via fiber optic) ... in your opinion could I improve audio quality further?

thks :)

thank you 🙂

yes, unfortunately my dac is R2R and tube, quality I can't find in T3... but the question was (maybe my poor english has not been clear enough, sorry) about AES output: is, in your opinion, the U2mini AES output better then that from Matrix X-Spdif2? ... if yes, then I can evaluate to modify my setup, if not then the Roon Rule1 could not make sense in my situation as I already have (I think/hope) quite good electrical noise immunity in my setup

Getting jack of using iPad for audio apps (and everything else) ; researching which apps now on IOS that can work on Apple CPU found in laptops.

I see Lumin app is capable which is great, but have a question concerning the newer m3 chips as rumoured to be released in March April 2024 in the MacBook Air. I suppose the 'm' architecture is the same except more cores/speed which shouldn't make a difference, but will ask if the Lumin app needs to be changed/upgraded to work on the m3.

image.png.e361af3a051ca355b283bb880e9b0f56.png

jPlay works too, Audirvana may, depending on the laptop, which is kind of strange, some experimentation needed.

AS Profile Equipment List        Say NO to MQA

I just received my U2 one week ago, and it has been playing 24/7 because of the time needed for running-in. However, today, while listening, I experienced lots of random hang ups. The device seemed unresponsive to commands both from the remote control (volume up/down or next track) and in the Lumin app. The app seems to respond to my interaction, but nothing happens with the playback, it just continues how it was. Then, suddenly, after up to around a minute it responds to the commands it was given previously.

Any ideas, @wklie?

On 2/20/2024 at 10:27 AM, stefano_mbp said:

You can run Minimserver on a minipc like a Intel Nuc, fanless minipc with Celeron processor or even on a Raspberry Pi4, they are both less “intrusive” than a nas

Personally, I run a RPi 5 (8GB model) with an external 2 TB HDD attached to it via the USB for my local collection (not too big, around 250 albums). It, apparently, is quite more powerful than the RPi 4, so it could probably stretch to a thousands albums large library, but I haven't tested it in such an environment. This setup I have with the mentioned local collection size works fast.

IF you plan to host a larger collection, than a NUC-grade machine is definitely a better option, although a bit more expensive. Even a 2-3 years old ones are quite strong if you buy with a stronger grade CPU (CPUs didn't change that much in the last several years), you may buy them used for less $$$.

6 hours ago, atlerovik said:

Then, suddenly, after up to around a minute it responds to the commands it was given previously.

In order to verify the hardware:

Please try a different network cable to a different network port.

Please place a few 44.1kHz FLAC files on a USB thumb drive.  Plug it into U2.  In Lumin app, choose the library to be the Lumin USB Music Server.  Clear the playlist.  Add those files from the thumb drive to the playlist.  Turn on repeat and play.

To eliminate WiFi influence, please try using a UPnP control app or Linn Kazoo on a computer on LAN (not WiFi).

Peter Lie

LUMIN Firmware Lead

Thanks @wklie, I will try this later today.

Just to clarify: the music never stopped playing, there was no problems with the sound. The only thing was that it was not responding to volume changes, track changes and so on. Also, this happened also with the Lumin remote control, plugged in via USB. I believe this then could not be related to WiFi. Is this not right?

On 2/27/2024 at 6:32 AM, atlerovik said:

Thanks @wklie, I will try this later today.

Just to clarify: the music never stopped playing, there was no problems with the sound. The only thing was that it was not responding to volume changes, track changes and so on. Also, this happened also with the Lumin remote control, plugged in via USB. I believe this then could not be related to WiFi. Is this not right?

I have the same problem randomly.

Waversa hub > Lumin S1 > Bakoon HPA-21

On 2/27/2024 at 9:03 AM, Philippe Bill said:

I just listened to a Lumin U2 mini with a Paul Hynes SR4 power supply, the quality is of a very high level and the Lumin app is constantly improving.. well done to Lumin !

Lumin U2 mini is exceptionally musical with a good LPS and the right system setup.

Has anyone compared USB and SPDIF outputs on their Lumin?

I have been using a Black Cat Tron SPDIF with good results.

I just tried a TotalDAC Gigafilter USB cable, and I'm surprised how good it is.

My Lumin keeps getting better with the right system upgrades.