IGNORED

LUMIN - Audiophile Network Music Player

4 hours ago, skyline said:

Has anyone compared USB and SPDIF outputs on their Lumin?

This is DAC dependent.  In one case, the customer preferred AES with his DAC originally, but then preferred USB after changing the USB cable.  When using AES or SPDIF output, disconnect the USB cable.

Peter Lie

LUMIN Firmware Lead

AI translation of D3 listening notes from https://spill.hk/audiovisual/LUMIN-D3-review/

In this test, the LUMIN D3 was paired with the Cambridge Audio CXA81 amplifier and Mission ZX-2 speakers. In terms of streaming, we tested TIDAL, KKBOX, Spotify, and local music playback via DLNA. The D3’s sound signature is familiar to LUMIN’s tuning, with excellent musical layering. Listening to Joe Hisaishi’s ‘A Symphonic Celebration,’ the instruments were detailed and composed, with a smooth and clean sound that wasn’t bland. It had both dynamic and melodic qualities, presenting both dynamic and static music in a balanced manner. The instruments and vocals were slightly forward but not overly pronounced, emphasizing the stereo image while still blending perfectly with the accompaniment. There was proper separation while maintaining the integrity of the music. Describing it as ‘perfect’ might be a bit exaggerated, but LUMIN’s tuning indeed has a unique charm that enhances the musical layering and transparency, giving a sense of ‘it sounds good.’

Furthermore, there are noticeable differences in sound quality among different sources on the D3, particularly in terms of resolution and stereo imaging. TIDAL and DLNA local music offer the best results, followed by KKBOX played through AirPlay 2, and finally, Spotify. The main differences lie in the level of detail and stereo imaging. For the same songs by Jacky Cheung (‘Li Xiang Lan’) and Sandy Lam (‘Breathe In… Breathe Out’), lossless files present a denser and smoother musical presentation compared to compressed audio. However, different sources still provide a pleasing and transparent sound. Of course, the level of analysis and control is not on par with the high-end T3 that we tested before, considering the price difference, but it still maintains LUMIN’s familiar and pleasing sound signature.

Peter Lie

LUMIN Firmware Lead

On 2/28/2024 at 10:53 PM, wklie said:

This is DAC dependent.  In one case, the customer preferred AES with his DAC originally, but then preferred USB after changing the USB cable.  When using AES or SPDIF output, disconnect the USB cable.

Has anyone used a Berkeley USB with their Lumin U2/mini?

I wasn’t prepared for how much the Berkeley improved the Lumin.

It’s a testament to the Berkeley that it has been around for this long and is still a night and day improvement over the Lumin’s USB and SPDIF output.

Waversa hub > Lumin S1 > Bakoon HPA-21

here, in order yo have as clear as possible feeling about the product, we should try to avoid mixing different ingredients... question to wklie: as from engineering/production point of view... is the Lumin USB output much superior to AES/SPDIF output? or from the project/test are almost the same?

Hey @wklie,

I am having trouble getting out of ROONONLY-mode/resetting my LUMIN U2.

It seems to go into something called Rescue Mode every time I am trying, and then it is rebooting to Roon only, again. See picture. How can I get back to regular LUMIN operation?

IMG_1079.jpeg

4 hours ago, atlerovik said:

It seems to go into something called Rescue Mode every time I am trying, and then it is rebooting to Roon only, again. See picture. How can I get back to regular LUMIN operation?

Please disconnect all USB devices from the Lumin first before you do a factory reset.

Peter Lie

LUMIN Firmware Lead

On 3/9/2024 at 3:50 AM, lupoal said:

here, in order yo have as clear as possible feeling about the product, we should try to avoid mixing different ingredients... question to wklie: as from engineering/production point of view... is the Lumin USB output much superior to AES/SPDIF output? or from the project/test are almost the same?

I have used both Lumin USB and SPDIF outputs.

I think my TotalDAC Gigafilter USB cable has more filtering to remove the digital nasties than my SPDIF cable. 

But both cannot compete with the Berkeley USB interface. There will be no going back once you hear it with your Lumin.

16 hours ago, skyline said:

There will be no going back once you hear it with your Lumin.

How do you know it is not the dac that is improving what you here? Or other parts in the combination, or maybe other things in the combined chain like grounding, power quality...? When you connect things there is a chain that is impacted, not only one piece.

I have no doubt Berkeley is a good USB cable, but is it only impacting the U2 Mini? I'm not so sure...

4 minutes ago, Ropet said:

How do you know it is not the dac that is improving what you here? Or other parts in the combination, or maybe other things in the combined chain like grounding, power quality...? When you connect things there is a chain that is impacted, not only one piece.

I have no doubt Berkeley is a good USB cable, but is it only impacting the U2 Mini? I'm not so sure...

Berkeley alpa USB is not a cable. It's USB to SPDIF converter.

54 minutes ago, Ropet said:

Or other parts in the combination, or maybe other things in the combined chain like grounding, power quality...? When you connect things there is a chain that is impacted, not only one piece.

But yes, I agree with you. The power cord for the Berkeley definitely affects the overall sound of my system.

Berkeley alpha USB connects to the USB output of your Lumin U2/mini (via a USB cable).

It converts it to SPDIF which goes into your DAC (via an SPDIF cable).

If you want USB to USB, you can get Innuos Phoenix USB.

Don't listen to the Berkeley unless you're prepared to buy it.

Berkeley currently has my unit to upgrade it to series 2, and I can see there is no going back to life without it.

My U2 mini (running off linear power) with the Berkeley is better than a streamer I had that cost 5x more.

Yes the Berkeley is a night and day difference from the Lumin U2 mini USB/SPDIF outputs.

That's not to disparage Lumin in any way, the Berkeley is that good and would improve almost every streamer out there. The idea is the Berkeley levels the playing field so you don't need to spend $20k on a streamer.

I didn't have a chance to compare against other DDCs, there are many choices now.

But the Berkeley is so good I'm sticking with it (and having it upgraded to series 2).

Well... the point is also that the Berkeley is not exactly the cheapest ddc in the market, for example there are also good reviews about Matrix X-spdif 3 and it cost just a fraction of Berkley... so, how much more good is the Berkley to justify the price gap? Is there a gap?

... then, to go back in topic, I'm wondering how is possible a not cheap at all unit like the Lumin can have a not good enough spdif output?

... then, last but not least, Berkley + Lumin 2mini is almost at price level of Lumin 2... can maybe a Lumin 2 compete with the combo?

Well that is the fun part of the hobby, deciding how to use our limited resources to upgrade the sound.

I agree with you on the price of the Berkeley, I bought mine second hand and had Berkeley upgrade it to Series 2.

As far as the USB/SPDIF output, that is the assumption I (and many others) had made. That the Berkeley was redundant with todays high end streamers. But that is obviously not the case. It is really quite astonishing that the Berkeley has been released for 10+ years and is still such an upgrade over the current high end streamers USB/SPDIF output.

We can ask @wklie, but I assume the USB/SPDIF outputs are identical on the U2 and mini.

On 2/29/2024 at 12:57 AM, Stefanel63 said:

Thanks Peter, is slow blow supposed to be as safe as the fast fuse type?

A slow blow fuse will subject the downstream electronics is a longer overload condition than would a fast blow fuse.  Could that lead to damage to the electronics?  Who can say.  If it were mine, I'd stick with the specified type of fuse.

Denafrips Terminator + DAC fed by a Denafrips GAIA DDC, HTPC running JRiver MC, iFi PRO iCAN Signature headphone amp, Marantz AV8805, OPPO BDP-105 for SACD ripping, Sony UBP-X100ES for watching and listening, McIntosh MC1201s Front L/R with Bryston powering the remaining 5 channels, B&W N-801s, B&W HTM-1 in Tiger Eye, B&W 801 IIIs on the sides and in the rear, JL-F212 sub, ReVOX PR-99Mk II, Rega P10 and Alpheta 3, PS Audio Nuwave Phono Amp, Audeze LCD-4 and LCD-XC, UE18 IEMs, Sony CD3000 rebuilt, Sony VPL-VW995ES laser projector, Joe Kane Affinity 120" screen, Cables: Cardas Clear Beyond speaker, Wireworld Platinum Elite 7 RCA, custom (by me) XLRs using affordable, quality parts 🙂

5 hours ago, Lmn said:

The Lumin U2 mini is equipped with an spdif-output. It‘s not necessary to convert the signal from usb to spdif.🤔

well... skyline declare the spdif from Lumin usb via Berkeley is better then that one directly from Lumin...

2 minutes ago, lupoal said:

well... skyline declare the spdif from Lumin usb via Berkeley is better then that one directly from Lumin...

Oh boy.

Denafrips Terminator + DAC fed by a Denafrips GAIA DDC, HTPC running JRiver MC, iFi PRO iCAN Signature headphone amp, Marantz AV8805, OPPO BDP-105 for SACD ripping, Sony UBP-X100ES for watching and listening, McIntosh MC1201s Front L/R with Bryston powering the remaining 5 channels, B&W N-801s, B&W HTM-1 in Tiger Eye, B&W 801 IIIs on the sides and in the rear, JL-F212 sub, ReVOX PR-99Mk II, Rega P10 and Alpheta 3, PS Audio Nuwave Phono Amp, Audeze LCD-4 and LCD-XC, UE18 IEMs, Sony CD3000 rebuilt, Sony VPL-VW995ES laser projector, Joe Kane Affinity 120" screen, Cables: Cardas Clear Beyond speaker, Wireworld Platinum Elite 7 RCA, custom (by me) XLRs using affordable, quality parts 🙂