IGNORED

LUMIN - Audiophile Network Music Player

@WKLIE

questions for U2 on Fiber Network :

some manufacturers offer "Passive Direct Attach Copper Twinax Cable" (DAC)

-Taiko : https://taikoaudio.com/taiko-2020/product/extra-dac-cable/ 
- FS version : https://www.fs.com/products/40160.html?attribute=8771&id=2370565
- Melco : https://melco-audio.com/c1/
- aso...

questions :
- is the U2 compatible with a Direct Attach Copper cable (DAC) ?
(Switch > DAC > U2)
- is a "Passive Direct Attach Copper Twinax Cable" an upgrade for the U2 ? (vs Fiber).. explication : "max. power consumption 0.1W" ??

6 hours ago, wklie said:

It seems that the feature has an issue with our older models.  While we investigate this issue:

As a workaround, please turn on D3 re-sampling, and upsample 44.1kHz to 88.2kHz (or 176.4kHz) to see if it plays normally for the A1 as a multi-room receiver.  If that still does not work, turn off Lumin Streaming (AirPlay) and Spotify Connect on the A1.

I set it to upsample 44.1 to 176.4 as a test, and it has been playing perfectly for the last 15 minutes. Looks like this is a solution. I would've heard the garbled audio by now if the problem was still there. 

Founder of Audiophile Style | My Audio Systems AudiophileStyleStickerWhite2.0.png AudiophileStyleStickerWhite7.1.4.png

19 hours ago, wklie said:

All three links are SFP+ not SFP.  Therefore they will not work on Lumin products.

Melco announces that its cable is compatible with Melco N1 & N5, Melco S10 / S100, Aurender, HiFi Rose, Linn Klimax DSM, Taiko Audio SGM Extreme / Extreme switch, SFORZATO DSP-Columba, DSP-Corvus, DST-Lepus...

why not with Lumin U2 ?

On 12/17/2023 at 9:54 AM, wklie said:

What was the search done on - NAS, Tidal, Qobuz or USB drive?  What iPad model (shown on the back) are you using?

On 12/18/2023 at 9:23 PM, wklie said:

We cannot reproduce this.  Please post a screenshot of your Lumin app search of NAS (MInimServer?) just before switching to another app.

This is the screenshot of my search of albums on Minimserver just before switching to another app.. when I return the search is cleared. It is still happening on my system

IMG_1034.png

On 2/7/2024 at 3:03 PM, wklie said:

I have asked the L2 team (technical and testing) to do that many times.

ah. hey, Mr Lie! I'm now on L2+U2, at 1000 hours (all massive big thanks to USA Dave) on copper. I saw that you are here, so I signed up. Also because the site owner was talking about SFP. I'm slowing moving toward optical once I get my master plan (switches, glass fibre etc)

So good to see you here @wklie

On 1/18/2024 at 4:02 PM, wklie said:

Connect D2 to L2 RJ45 port.

The L1 can be connected either to the main switch / router or L2.

L2 has SFP port for X1 P1 U2.  L2 supports network file system for file copy.  L1 only supports USB copy.

Hello wklie,

see attachment

if i have 2 x an L2 in a setup , and i want to copy music files from L2 no.1 to the other L2 no.2,

can i connect one L2 to the second L2 to RJ 45 port

and make full copy from L2 no.1 to the L2 no.2

or is there a better solution, to make full copy of music files to a second L2 ?

lumin-l2-network-connection-fibre-ethernet-second-L2.png

Having owned a U2 mini running off linear power for a while now, I don’t think there’s anything that can touch it at its price.

I had an aurender N20 and the U2 mini is more musically engaging by far. For a fraction of the cost.

Lumin hit it out of the ballpark with the U2 mini.

Waversa hub > Lumin S1 > Bakoon HPA-21

Well I have a LUMIN U2 Mini too with Farad Super3. Though price/performance and also flexibility I‘d rate the Holo Audio Red even higher. Has also great HQPlayerEmbedded & NAA support (which obviously LUMIN for whatever secret reason isn’t willing to support for years) and has already a good power supply built in. 

23 hours ago, Markus8 said:

Well I have a LUMIN U2 Mini too with Farad Super3. Though price/performance and also flexibility I‘d rate the Holo Audio Red even higher. Has also great HQPlayerEmbedded & NAA support (which obviously LUMIN for whatever secret reason isn’t willing to support for years) and has already a good power supply built in. 

So have you compared directly the Lumin U2 Mini/Farad Super 3 for sound quality with the Holo Red?

17 minutes ago, ItsintheTiming said:

So have you compared directly the Lumin U2 Mini/Farad Super 3 for sound quality with the Holo Red?

Ya. There are far more setup variations possible that provide more flexibility and room for improvement. So if you stick to Red OS, Ropieee or HQPlayer OS (which I prefer) that provides even better performance than the LUMIN.

9 hours ago, Markus8 said:

Ya. There are far more setup variations possible that provide more flexibility and room for improvement. So if you stick to Red OS, Ropieee or HQPlayer OS (which I prefer) that provides even better performance than the LUMIN.

Red is not a ”stand alone” streamer, not comparable to Lumin. Many of us don’t want to have powerful computers or servers buzzing with complicated software in the listening room. 

Say NO to ROON

Wrong! Red make exactly the same things and is a standalone streamer… upnp, Roon… all is the same, and Red give hqplayer, hdmi i2s output, linear power supply for 1/3 of the price of u2 mini, it’ s the reality and I had both at home at the same time. LUMIN give the app, the dsd conversion of pcm more, and it can sound better than the red with a good power supply (the Red is not perfect, and the U2 mini is not too).

MSB Reference> Ypsilon Aelius 2 >Vivid G1 or Andra3

HQPlayer >Diretta DST>Holo May>Holo Serene>Kinki ex-m7>Leedh e2 glass or DIY (Davis/Heil).

6 hours ago, Nicoben45 said:

Wrong! Red make exactly the same things and is a standalone streamer… upnp, Roon… all is the same, and Red give hqplayer, hdmi i2s output, linear power supply for 1/3 of the price of u2 mini, it’ s the reality and I had both at home at the same time. LUMIN give the app, the dsd conversion of pcm more, and it can sound better than the red with a good power supply (the Red is not perfect, and the U2 mini is not too).

We can turn off all servers, computers, phones and tablets, and the Red still keeps playing like Lumin does? Sorry I don’t have the proper technical term for that function, but upnp isn’t it. 

Say NO to ROON

On 2/6/2024 at 4:12 AM, The Computer Audiophile said:

Hi @wklie I’m testing the multi-room functionality and having some issues.

A firmware fix is available for S1 A1 T1 D1 D2 M1, in case anyone else is using the multi-room listener feature on any of these models.

Peter Lie

LUMIN Firmware Lead

12 hours ago, ItsintheTiming said:

Sorry to but in cross topic but can you confirm the maximum resolution for X1 playback via its USB input please. From an external SSD self powered drive DSD native or DXD filles stutter on playback but no problem with my U2mini playback.

Please use MinimServer, not directly connected USB drives, especially for DXD and DSD files.  This applies to the whole Lumin lineup, even though newer models have faster processors.

Peter Lie

LUMIN Firmware Lead

As I have invested a lot in buying DSD downloads and ripping SACDs if I can't play them via the Lumin U2 Mini's USB input I will have to sell the Lumin and find another streamer that allows this. I have a Naim Core which my contains lower resolution music files and don't have space to accommodate a NAS device. Anyone else playing back DSD 256 files in native mode successfully with other streamers?

6 hours ago, wklie said:

Please use MinimServer, not directly connected USB drives, especially for DXD and DSD files.  This applies to the whole Lumin lineup, even though newer models have faster processors.

23 hours ago, ItsintheTiming said:

Sorry to but in cross topic but can you confirm the maximum resolution for X1 playback via its USB input please. From an external SSD self powered drive DSD native or DXD filles stutter on playback but no problem with my U2mini playback.

Just to better understand … in this post you say there are issues with X1 playing DSD and DXD files from usb but the U2Mini works fine

4 hours ago, ItsintheTiming said:

SACDs if I can't play them via the Lumin U2 Mini's USB input

… and here you say U2Mini has issues … it’s difficult to understand

Stefano

My audio system