IGNORED

LUMIN - Audiophile Network Music Player

On 4/9/2021 at 2:11 PM, Kray said:

Just wanted to share an experience. I have a U1 Mini and it’s been the only streamer I’ve had that is equal to my cd transport. 

I recently dabbled in building a pi2AES ropieee endpoint, using AES to my DAC. At first it sounded similar to Mini, but best way for me to judge is long term use over a couple weeks. So afterwards I found the pi2AES was just missing something. Some of my favorite tracks/albums just didn’t seem as enjoyable. It was small but I could tell. 

I added the Mini back in and the happiness is fully back. I’m planning on adding an ext LPS next. 

but to end. For $300 the pi2AES is pretty amazing gear, especially with a AES digital output. You’d expect the Lumin to beat it at 7x the price. But there’s been so much talk of these RasPi decides I thought I’d check it out for myself. 

I’m a happy Lumin owner and the support has been phenomenal. 

3E4CE552-8273-44A8-9E38-0AB5FBFB8AF8.jpeg

So nice to see someone comparing performance to CD. This is what it’s all about isn’t it? To bring digital file player performance closer to CD. I honestly think that many audiophiles are still in the “lets-get-this-working” phase, - and “wow, - isn’t this convenient.”

On 4/17/2021 at 2:50 PM, EvilTed said:

@chungjh

I wish they could redo the internal wiring loom without screwing the warranty, because if you look at the internal pictures, the stock cable is used internally from the switch back to the motherboards. It uses plastic clip connectors to the board, so it may be possible to replace the socket without needing to resolder anything.

ET

It is possible to replace the internal wiring loom, but not recommended, because most people would just mess it up. Lumin use a blob of hard-set adhesive to secure the board connectors together. It is a common practice in the industry to avoid pairs of connectors coming apart in transit, or due to vibration. It is not a practice deemed necessary by the likes of Naim, Linn and other top manufacturers. I'm sure this practice is something that Lumin will have no interest in addressing, however, as no manufacturer wants to encourage users to start fiddling around inside their products, switching cables and connectors from their standard items for components of an unknown standard, causing issues, and invalidating warranties. So the best thing is to leave well alone.

As for the umbilical cord and the mains cable, there is clearly a market for a higher grade cable from Lumin. Just like there was a call for a Lumin remote which they eventually responded to with a fine product.

So perhaps Lumin could now consider a separate set of higher quality cables for their streamers?  It does look like there is a small market for them.

Hello all ! I know this topic was discussed but very briefly please.

The BNC connector on my T2 looks like a male BNC connector - is this true ? so if I'd like top connect the Lumin to a DAC I need a BNC female to RCA male connector - right ? can anyone recommend a good cable for that ? or a good adaptor that won't cause any sonic issues ?

Many thanks !

1 hour ago, nirw said:

The BNC connector on my T2 looks like a male BNC connector

Lumin BNC output connector is female.  Try getting a BNC to RCA (no less than) 1.5m cable instead of using an adapter.  I read that someone tried bluejeans cable.

Peter Lie

LUMIN Firmware Lead

I am using a Cullen bnc on my d1

Den: Kef LS50 Wireless, Velodyne SPL1200, Lumin D1, Cayin SCD50T, Jolida D9, Technics 1200, Denon DL160, Wireworld Eclipse Silver 7 IC

Livingroom: T+A PA1530 r Integrated Amplifier, Innous Zen MKIII, L.K.S audio MH Da004, Tyler Acoustics Highland H2, High Fidelity Reveal IC, Wireworld Eclipse Silver 8 Speaker cable. 

1 hour ago, wklie said:

Lumin BNC output connector is female.  Try getting a BNC to RCA (no less than) 1.5m cable instead of using an adapter.  I read that someone tried bluejeans cable.

Thanks and admittedly I don't have lots of experience with BNC connectors but isn't this a male connector ? All the photos I found on the internet of a female BNC connector don't have this center piece.

Thanks for your patience !

20210509_183450.thumb.jpg.ee522544ad2e5330f6f1c45da5400e2b.jpg20210509_183506.thumb.jpg.f1c3d7cf523fb4481c3ba5e57ffab715.jpg

2 hours ago, wklie said:

I've used BJC with excellent results but I prefer any cable made with Mogami 3080 over just about anything else I've tried.

Denafrips Terminator + DAC fed by a Denafrips GAIA DDC, HTPC running JRiver MC, iFi PRO iCAN Signature headphone amp, Marantz AV8805, OPPO BDP-105 for SACD ripping, Sony UBP-X100ES for watching and listening, McIntosh MC1201s Front L/R with Bryston powering the remaining 5 channels, B&W N-801s, B&W HTM-1 in Tiger Eye, B&W 801 IIIs on the sides and in the rear, JL-F212 sub, ReVOX PR-99Mk II, Rega P10 and Alpheta 3, PS Audio Nuwave Phono Amp, Audeze LCD-4 and LCD-XC, UE18 IEMs, Sony CD3000 rebuilt, Sony VPL-VW995ES laser projector, Joe Kane Affinity 120" screen, Cables: Cardas Clear Beyond speaker, Wireworld Platinum Elite 7 RCA, custom (by me) XLRs using affordable, quality parts 🙂

29 minutes ago, wklie said:

Notice the hole in the center?  That's why it's female.  (Is this sexist?)

BNC stands for what?  I've heard "baby N connector", British Nut Connector, etc.  Does anyone really know what the correct answer is?  And, yes, that was a sexist remark!  I call them "goes into" and "comes out of" just to be politically correct.

Denafrips Terminator + DAC fed by a Denafrips GAIA DDC, HTPC running JRiver MC, iFi PRO iCAN Signature headphone amp, Marantz AV8805, OPPO BDP-105 for SACD ripping, Sony UBP-X100ES for watching and listening, McIntosh MC1201s Front L/R with Bryston powering the remaining 5 channels, B&W N-801s, B&W HTM-1 in Tiger Eye, B&W 801 IIIs on the sides and in the rear, JL-F212 sub, ReVOX PR-99Mk II, Rega P10 and Alpheta 3, PS Audio Nuwave Phono Amp, Audeze LCD-4 and LCD-XC, UE18 IEMs, Sony CD3000 rebuilt, Sony VPL-VW995ES laser projector, Joe Kane Affinity 120" screen, Cables: Cardas Clear Beyond speaker, Wireworld Platinum Elite 7 RCA, custom (by me) XLRs using affordable, quality parts 🙂

1 minute ago, nirw said:

Did you try the Belden 1694A ?

I have not.  Do you like it?  By the way, if you are in the USA there's a company called Event Horizon Services that does a pretty good job on just about any type and configuration of cable you may need.  Not stratospherically priced but best of build quality using high quality Neutrik branded connectors.  I don't work for them but use them when I can't do it myself.

5 minutes ago, BlueSkyy said:

I have not.  Do you like it?  By the way, if you are in the USA there's a company called Event Horizon Services that does a pretty good job on just about any type and configuration of cable you may need.  Not stratospherically priced but best of build quality using high quality Neutrik branded connectors.  I don't work for them but use them when I can't do it myself.

I live in the south of France / Italy but will look them up. Thanks for the tip

57 minutes ago, wklie said:

Notice the hole in the center?  That's why it's female.  (Is this sexist?)

It’s a strange world where what used to be definitively male or female can genderswitch, or indeed be gender neutral. The rule of thumb is that if it has a prong, it’s male, if it has a hole it must be female. But a BNC connecttor has a large hole with a prong sticking put of it. So things aren’t always as simple as they should be. :-) The central metal connector sticks out, so it is male. But in lots pf ways, it may be hermaphrodite if you apply human anatomical terminology to it. That’s really why we shouldn’t do so. Maybe it would be better nowadays to call them ‘plug’ and ‘socket’ or even adopt new terminology like USB, ie A and B, rather than referring to an animal kingdom gender specific term.

2 hours ago, vintageaxeman said:

It’s a strange world where what used to be definitively male or female can genderswitch, or indeed be gender neutral. The rule of thumb is that if it has a prong, it’s male, if it has a hole it must be female. But a BNC connecttor has a large hole with a prong sticking put of it. So things aren’t always as simple as they should be. :-) The central metal connector sticks out, so it is male. But in lots pf ways, it may be hermaphrodite if you apply human anatomical terminology to it. That’s really why we shouldn’t do so. Maybe it would be better nowadays to call them ‘plug’ and ‘socket’ or even adopt new terminology like USB, ie A and B, rather than referring to an animal kingdom gender specific term.

A male BNC plug has a simple solid wire sticking out of the centre of it, so the Lumin BNC output, which has a central connection with a hole in it, is FEMALE!

6 minutes ago, vintageaxeman said:

A male BNC plug has a simple solid wire sticking out of the centre of it, so the Lumin BNC output, which has a central connection with a hole in it, is FEMALE!

Possibly not in California, USA, but I digress.  Happy Mother's Day if  you celebrate it!

Perfect.

On 4/28/2021 at 3:12 PM, chungjh said:

How much SQ improvement are people getting by replacing the stock umbilical cord?

I have just received my audiosensibility cable, out of the box it adds a nice touch of cleanness. No harsh silver attributes at all. If you are at a certain level in you setup all gains are marginal, this for me was the right move since I am now at the point of replacing some cable. 

1 hour ago, HH_miller said:

I have just received my audiosensibility cable, out of the box it adds a nice touch of cleanness. No harsh silver attributes at all. If you are at a certain level in you setup all gains are marginal, this for me was the right move since I am now at the point of replacing some cable. 

I agree. I find silver superior, not just for its extra hf detail, but for the effect this has on lower frequencies. I found the same when I added Townshend Supertweeters to my system. The bass seemed to suddenly have extra detail and was better defined.

Audio enthusiasts often talk about copper or silver cables having a sound which is reminiscent of the physical appearance of those metals. ie copper being 'warm', silver being 'bright'. That is of course, just a coincidence.

What has always struck me concerns the vast difference (in hifi terms) of their conductivity. Silver conducts about 7% better than copper. (Silver clocks in at 63 x 10^6 siemens/meter, roughly seven percent higher than the conductivity of annealed copper, which stands at 59 x 10^6 siemens/meter.)

Most audiophiles don't normally have the necessary equipment to go around measuring cables of course, we rely on test reports online and in magazines, or we read up on scientific theory. And we believe what we think we are hearing. We like to think we've made the right decision! :-) But I always wonder what is actually being LOST in that 7% difference. If copper is around 7% WORSE at conducting electrical signals than silver, what exactly is that 7% loss?  Is it possible that everything across the audible frequency range and above are is all being equally attenuated? Or is it that some frequencies are attenuated more than others? All things being equal, I'm sure the difference in sonic fingerprint between silver and copper is actually down to what exactly  is missing in that 7% loss. Just my thoughts!

Since it is power (instead of interconnect) that we're talking about, for the same AWG I guess it might deliver higher current when needed.  (I'm sure there are other theories that attempt to explain how it can sound different.)

Peter Lie

LUMIN Firmware Lead