IGNORED

LUMIN - Audiophile Network Music Player

29 minutes ago, wklie said:

I do not encourage people to DIY the umbilical cord as it is difficult to make.  Many years ago we also came across one that was supposedly professionally made but overheated.  In another forum audiosensibility explained the component cost is 2/3 of the price, due to the high cost of OCC silver.

We do not endorse third party accessories or cables.

I fully agree, Peter, I would not recommend people thinking about making their own DIY cables either. It poses too much of a risk to the equipment.

2 minutes ago, vintageaxeman said:

I fully agree, Peter, I would not recommend people thinking about making their own DIY cables either. It poses too much of a risk to the equipment.

But in one of your earlier posts you said you will stick to your own homebrew, DIY, cables.  Maybe you are talking about other types of cables and not the Lumin umbilical?

Denafrips Terminator + DAC fed by a Denafrips GAIA DDC, HTPC running JRiver MC, iFi PRO iCAN Signature headphone amp, Marantz AV8805, OPPO BDP-105 for SACD ripping, Sony UBP-X100ES for watching and listening, McIntosh MC1201s Front L/R with Bryston powering the remaining 5 channels, B&W N-801s, B&W HTM-1 in Tiger Eye, B&W 801 IIIs on the sides and in the rear, JL-F212 sub, ReVOX PR-99Mk II, Rega P10 and Alpheta 3, PS Audio Nuwave Phono Amp, Audeze LCD-4 and LCD-XC, UE18 IEMs, Sony CD3000 rebuilt, Sony VPL-VW995ES laser projector, Joe Kane Affinity 120" screen, Cables: Cardas Clear Beyond speaker, Wireworld Platinum Elite 7 RCA, custom (by me) XLRs using affordable, quality parts 🙂

2 minutes ago, chungjh said:

How much SQ improvement are people getting by replacing the stock umbilical cord?

Mine was noticeable but not earth shattering.  Was it worth the nearly $2k I spent?  Even I can't answer that at this point.

Denafrips Terminator + DAC fed by a Denafrips GAIA DDC, HTPC running JRiver MC, iFi PRO iCAN Signature headphone amp, Marantz AV8805, OPPO BDP-105 for SACD ripping, Sony UBP-X100ES for watching and listening, McIntosh MC1201s Front L/R with Bryston powering the remaining 5 channels, B&W N-801s, B&W HTM-1 in Tiger Eye, B&W 801 IIIs on the sides and in the rear, JL-F212 sub, ReVOX PR-99Mk II, Rega P10 and Alpheta 3, PS Audio Nuwave Phono Amp, Audeze LCD-4 and LCD-XC, UE18 IEMs, Sony CD3000 rebuilt, Sony VPL-VW995ES laser projector, Joe Kane Affinity 120" screen, Cables: Cardas Clear Beyond speaker, Wireworld Platinum Elite 7 RCA, custom (by me) XLRs using affordable, quality parts 🙂

I have an A1 and semi-recently replaced the stock power supply with a Kenny Lau along with his umbilical cord. I did

find this to be a nice upgrade. I am wondering if the x-1 power supply offers any significant improvement for an A1 over the Kenny Lau. Has anyone tried that?

The U1mini has a simple 12v power supply, when the U1 and friends has two different power inputs. So the U1mini can only be upgraded by an other psu that bring one 12v output. Good results at home with the Paul Hynes SR4t and home made dc cable. 

MSB Reference> Ypsilon Aelius 2 >Vivid G1 or Andra3

HQPlayer >Diretta DST>Holo May>Holo Serene>Kinki ex-m7>Leedh e2 glass or DIY (Davis/Heil).

12 hours ago, BlueSkyy said:

But in one of your earlier posts you said you will stick to your own homebrew, DIY, cables.  Maybe you are talking about other types of cables and not the Lumin umbilical?

If I said I was using a DIY cable, that was probably the Gotham interconnects that were made by a part-time professional, not me, and the Gotham speaker cables made by myself.  I am using something branded (cannot tell you which) and more costly to replace the Gotham interconnect (that is now used with my 2004 AV receiver, and with the age of it I think the relatively inexpensive cable actually is worth more than the market value of the receiver).  And my Gotham speaker cable has recently been replaced by the Duelund Dual DCA12GA naked.  Only after I replaced the original speaker cable I used for years did I find that I actually made it wrong in the first place.  I am pleased with both cable upgrades.

The Lumin umbilical cord is more difficult to make because, I believe, there are a lot of wires (with a certain gauge requirement) squeezed into relatively small connectors.

Peter Lie

LUMIN Firmware Lead

11 hours ago, Roy Boy said:

I have an A1 and semi-recently replaced the stock power supply with a Kenny Lau along with his umbilical cord. I did

find this to be a nice upgrade. I am wondering if the x-1 power supply offers any significant improvement for an A1 over the Kenny Lau. Has anyone tried that?

I recall reading several positive reports by users of S1 and U1.

If you are willing to try a more neutral sound signature, you may also check out the T2.

Peter Lie

LUMIN Firmware Lead

I wouldn't call chopping off - with or without fading - the title of a work, a "feature". But...whatever.

(The display on the Lumin is a big bugaboo with me - I leave it entirely off.)

"The function of music is to release us from the tyranny of conscious thought", Sir Thomas Beecham. 

I leave my display off entirely as well but not because of the fading feature which I understand and actually like because it "bows out" to the track count and track timing circle on the right.  I keep mine off because this sort of display technology is prone to "burn in" where segments that don't get used much begin to fade away permanently.  I wish there was a maintenance function that you could invoke that would light the whole thing up so that the faded elements could be rejuvenated.

1 hour ago, musicguy said:

lumin  u1 mini break-in,.  

I ran my stock u1 for 1 week before I gave a good listen.   I have a uptown audio Mac mini - with js-2 power supply.  it took a week before my lumin u1 mini beat it.   Now if you upgrade to a sbooster power supply.  The u1 mini. really steps up to a huge improvement!!  Bass is better  soundstage,  smoothness.  many more area.  But this all depends on your system.   

Im running a lumin u1 mini with sbootster.   Best streaming sound I have ever had. 

m usicguy

Thanks,

I like to upgrade to sbooster, but I don’t know where to buy in my country .

I live in Jakarta- Indonesia .

6 hours ago, nikolaos1969 said:

Do you consider it a problem of CXA81 amp/DAC ?

no: DSD always plays 6db lower than PCM

Qnap HS-264 NAS (powered by an HD-Plex 100w LPS) > Cirrus7 Nimbini v2.5 Media Edition i7-8559U/32/512 running Roon ROCK (powered by a Keces P8 LPS) > Lumin U2  > Metrum Acoustics Adagio NOS digital preamplifier > First Watt SIT 3  power amplifier (or Don Garber Fi "Y" 6922 tube preamplifier + Don Garber Fi "X" 2A3 SET power amplifier, both powered from an Alpha-Core BP-30 Isolated Symmetrical Power Transformer) > Klipsch Cornwall III

headphones system:

Cirrus 7 > Lumin U2 > Metrum Acoustics Adagio > Pathos Aurium amplifier (powered by an UpTone Audio JS-2 LPS) > Focal Clear headphones