IGNORED

LUMIN - Audiophile Network Music Player

Is there a way to

(1) use two outputs of a Lumin player, like two analogues, two digitals or one analogue and one digital, simoultaneously at the sime time by connecting two amps, two dacs or one amp and one dac

and

(2) set one of the outputs as variable (volume controlled) and the other one as fixed?

Thank you, in advance.

2. No.

Simultaneous two analog outputs: Lumin T2 / D2 / D1 only (be careful of ground loop)

Two non-USB digital outputs AES / BNC / coaxial / toslink : Lumin U1 / U1 MINI only

One analog + one digital: D2 / S1 / A1 / T1 / D1 for PCM output only

Peter Lie

LUMIN Firmware Lead

3 hours ago, Ropet said:

How about one USB connections to dac A and one to dac B when only one dac operates (switched on) at the time?

It works if and only if DAC A behaves as USB cable being disconnected when powered off.  This is often not true.

Peter Lie

LUMIN Firmware Lead

On 4/8/2021 at 9:37 PM, wklie said:

@tubegem Spotify HiFi is not yet launched.  Based on public news, it'll be some time later in 2021, and the pricing is unknown.  We are working to update our Spotify Connect implementation such that HiFi will be supported when needed.  At this time the best you can get is 320kbps, no matter what device you use, see here:

https://support.spotify.com/us/article/high-quality-streaming/

@alandbush This is not applicable to Lumin hardware.  Lumin Spotify Connect implementation does not allow a lower-than-best quality to be chosen at all.  This is to prevent an accidental misconfiguration causing a lower-than-best quality to be obtained.

Hi Peter

Thank you for the clarification. 

On 4/10/2021 at 1:22 PM, wklie said:

2. No.

Simultaneous two analog outputs: Lumin T2 / D2 / D1 only (be careful of ground loop)

Two non-USB digital outputs AES / BNC / coaxial / toslink : Lumin U1 / U1 MINI only

One analog + one digital: D2 / S1 / A1 / T1 / D1 for PCM output only

All clear. Thank you for the clarification, wklie.

15 hours ago, sonodynesrp205 said:

if D2 will be good match for my Exposure 3010S2D integrated

I looked at its specs and it looks fine, and Lumin D2 is uniquely suitable to match the low input sensitivity of Exposure.

If you use the Exposure volume control, you may connect D2 RCA output to the CD or AUX2 input of the Exposure.  You may need to set Lumin analog output level to Low, or further lower its volume if it clips for loud music content.

If you are interested in trying the D2 Leedh Processing Volume (i.e. control volume by Lumin app instead of Exposure), connect the D2 RCA output to the AV input of Exposure, if the AV input is not already used by an AV receiver pre-out.  Turn the Lumin volume way down before you play anything.

Peter Lie

LUMIN Firmware Lead

1 hour ago, wklie said:

I looked at its specs and it looks fine, and Lumin D2 is uniquely suitable to match the low input sensitivity of Exposure.

If you use the Exposure volume control, you may connect D2 RCA output to the CD or AUX2 input of the Exposure.  You may need to set Lumin analog output level to Low, or further lower its volume if it clips for loud music content.

If you are interested in trying the D2 Leedh Processing Volume (i.e. control volume by Lumin app instead of Exposure), connect the D2 RCA output to the AV input of Exposure, if the AV input is not already used by an AV receiver pre-out.  Turn the Lumin volume way down before you play anything.

Good to hear that. I will use Exposure volume control.

One more question - will be T1 a better match for my system? Maybe I can find used T1.

regards,
Simon

25 minutes ago, chungjh said:

Has anyone tried either the Westminster or AudioSensibility DC cable on Lumin X1? I am considering an upgrade to the stock DC cable if there is a noticeable (not subtle) improvement.

I've got the Westminster at 0.6m.  At the level of sound quality that the X1 produces stock right out of the box all changes are subtle.  I like what the Westminster cable did for me.

Denafrips Terminator + DAC fed by a Denafrips GAIA DDC, HTPC running JRiver MC, iFi PRO iCAN Signature headphone amp, Marantz AV8805, OPPO BDP-105 for SACD ripping, Sony UBP-X100ES for watching and listening, McIntosh MC1201s Front L/R with Bryston powering the remaining 5 channels, B&W N-801s, B&W HTM-1 in Tiger Eye, B&W 801 IIIs on the sides and in the rear, JL-F212 sub, ReVOX PR-99Mk II, Rega P10 and Alpheta 3, PS Audio Nuwave Phono Amp, Audeze LCD-4 and LCD-XC, UE18 IEMs, Sony CD3000 rebuilt, Sony VPL-VW995ES laser projector, Joe Kane Affinity 120" screen, Cables: Cardas Clear Beyond speaker, Wireworld Platinum Elite 7 RCA, custom (by me) XLRs using affordable, quality parts 🙂

I have the AudioSensibility Signature Cable in 0.5m length.

It is a definite upgrade over the cable I made myself previously using Duelund tinned copper.

Both were noticeably better than the stock cable, once they had time to break in.

Building your own is not easy or cheap.

First you need the pinout diagram that shows the high current vs. low current.

Not an issue if you use 20 awg or thicker everywhere, but the raw OCC cable is going to cost you.

You have 10x connectors at 0.5m = 5m + enough to terminate cleanly at both ends.

Call it 6.5m to be safe. 6.5m = roughly 21 feet.

Neotech 20 awg solid core OCC silver cable is $23 / ft on Parts Connection.

21 x 23 = $483 just for cable.

Add more for good silver or gold solder.

The connectors and cable clamps alone will set you back close to $200, and it is a royal PITA to solder, because the pins are very close together.

You are going to be close to $700 for parts alone.

Then you are going to spend hours messing with the soldering.

It took me 2 weekends to complete it and I have a degree in electronics :)

Save the hassle and give Steve a call and get the AS cable ;)

I have several different cables. One is the stock cable from the standard rectangular power supplies to a T1, A1 or S1.

I also bought one which was an upgrade cable, same plugs, with silver plated copper cable, from a guy in LA who had then bought a pure silver version of the cable from the same supplier.  Since then, I have bought an S1 and an X1 power supply, and made two of my own cable design using Neotech rectangular pure silver cores, PTFE insulation, copper screen and carbon fibre outer.

WestminsterLabs products are probably much better but I don't know any reason why they should be, and they were far too expensive for me.

1 hour ago, EvilTed said:

I have the AudioSensibility Signature Cable in 0.5m length.

It is a definite upgrade over the cable I made myself previously using Duelund tinned copper.

Both were noticeably better than the stock cable, once they had time to break in.

Building your own is not easy or cheap.

First you need the pinout diagram that shows the high current vs. low current.

Not an issue if you use 20 awg or thicker everywhere, but the raw OCC cable is going to cost you.

You have 10x connectors at 0.5m = 5m + enough to terminate cleanly at both ends.

Call it 6.5m to be safe. 6.5m = roughly 21 feet.

Neotech 20 awg solid core OCC silver cable is $23 / ft on Parts Connection.

21 x 23 = $483 just for cable.

Add more for good silver or gold solder.

The connectors and cable clamps alone will set you back close to $200, and it is a royal PITA to solder, because the pins are very close together.

You are going to be close to $700 for parts alone.

Then you are going to spend hours messing with the soldering.

It took me 2 weekends to complete it and I have a degree in electronics :)

Save the hassle and give Steve a call and get the AS cable ;)

Evil Ted

In what way is the AS cable better than stock? With the 12% discount, it may be cheaper than the DIY.

Jay

I have several different cables. One is the stock Lumin cable from the standard rectangular power supplies to a T1, A1 or S1.

I also bought one which was an upgrade cable, same plugs, with silver plated copper cable, from a guy in LA who had then bought a pure silver version of the cable from the same supplier.  Since then, I have bought an S1 and an X1 power supply, and made two of my own cable design using Neotech rectangular pure silver cores, PTFE insulation, copper screen and carbon fibre outer.

WestminsterLab's products are probably much better than my attempt, but I don't know any reason why they should be, and they were far too expensive for me to consider.

So these are the parts that I used:

1. The Hirose plug which fits into the X1 power supply is £15.25 from RSWWW in the UK.

2. The 8 pin connector which fits into a T1, A1 or S1 is £5.22 also from RSWWW in the UK.

3. The rectangular pure silver Neotech wire in PTFE insulation is £111.45 for 3 metres from HiFiCollective in the UK. It is quite fine but it is rated at 300v 4.4amps. What more do you need! We are not using this as loudspeaker cable or mains power cable!  Only 6 inner cables are used in the X1 power supply to T1/A1/X1 streamer, even though the two connectors have 10 pins and 8 pins. Wiring is easy. Pin 1 goes to Pin 1, Pin 2 goes to Pin 2 etc.  So 6 lengths of 50cm gives a total requiremnt of 3 metres.

4. I wrapped some 3M RF shielding tape around the 6 insulated cores. I then used ordinary heatshrink tubing over that, and finally used some REAL carbon fibre expandable sleeving from EasyComposites in the UK, which was £7.48 per metre.

5. I used a good quality solder which includes a small percentage of pure silver, which is easy to find online for very little cost per metre.

The total cost was near enough £140.00 plus various postage costs.

Compare that to Audiosensibility at WestminsterLab's cost.

Audiosensibility's is actually quite reasonable at around £500 UK Pounds. Personally I feel that WestminsterLab cable is too much. But hey, I can't afford an X1, and probably people who CAN afford an X1 would love to buy the Westminsterlab cable.

But it makes my Do It Yourself version look like a bargain.

Screenshot 2021-04-15 at 18.03.07.png

Screenshot 2021-04-15 at 18.12.33.png

Screenshot 2021-04-15 at 18.15.50.png

Screenshot 2021-04-15 at 18.28.00.png

Screenshot 2021-04-15 at 19.07.41.png

5 hours ago, chungjh said:

Has anyone tried either the Westminster or AudioSensibility DC cable on Lumin X1? I am considering an upgrade to the stock DC cable if there is a noticeable (not subtle) improvement.

chungih,

I did a short review on the AudioSensibility DC cable last year, and I believe you had posted on that thread, so most likely not new info from me to you on this, https://www.audioshark.org/lumin-169/replacement-power-cable-lumin-x1-18507.html  I am still very pleased with the AudioSensibiIity DC cord, but have not heard the Westminster offering.  

7 hours ago, sonodynesrp205 said:

Good to hear that. I will use Exposure volume control.

One more question - will be T1 a better match for my system? Maybe I can find used T1.

regards,
Simon

I was in the same boat. I ended up with a D2 and Sbooster power supply which I felt was the right choice. The upgrade to the T2 was more significant in my opinion. 

Headphones: Audeze LCD-3 / Focal Clear/ Sennheiser HD650 

Speakers: Devore Fidelity O/96 and Graham Chartwell LS3/5a

Amps: Leben CS600x / Bottlehead 300b amp and 300b preamp custom

Digital: Lumin X1 and T2 / A&K 120 I DAP

Cables: Foundation Research LC1/2 and Cardas Golden Reference AC, Acoustic Zen Absolute, Silver Ref. II and Cardas Clear and Light ICs