IGNORED

LUMIN - Audiophile Network Music Player

@chungjh

Jay,

It takes a while to break in, probably 400 hours to get at it's best.
Bass is noticeably more dynamic, cleaner and deeper and the presentation is more natural and relaxed.

Seems less tiring to listen to these days.

I wish they could redo the internal wiring loom without screwing the warranty, because if you look at the internal pictures, the stock cable is used internally from the switch back to the motherboards. It uses plastic clip connectors to the board, so it may be possible to replace the socket without needing to resolder anything.

ET

IMG_3443.jpeg

3 hours ago, ZombieMelvile said:

I bought U1 Min to use with Denafrips Terminator ( still awaiting the arrival of the Terminator ) but currently enjoying the Mini via Naim DAC

At first I thought about the Lumin D2 (all on one solution), I also like the T1 (used), but somehow I am most drawn to the U1 mini and Pontus II.

regards,
Simon

1 hour ago, EvilTed said:

@chungjh

Jay,

It takes a while to break in, probably 400 hours to get at it's best.
Bass is noticeably more dynamic, cleaner and deeper and the presentation is more natural and relaxed.

Seems less tiring to listen to these days.

I wish they could redo the internal wiring loom without screwing the warranty, because if you look at the internal pictures, the stock cable is used internally from the switch back to the motherboards. It uses plastic clip connectors to the board, so it may be possible to replace the socket without needing to resolder anything.

ET

IMG_3443.jpeg

Agreed, ET. However, it is possible to replicate the very simple internal wiring and ALL the connectors are available online. So you can replace the stock internal dc power cables with simple looms of your own choosing. Including external sockets & internal pc board plugs, fairly easily. Of course, I don’t advise it as it will nullify your warranty. But it IS possible. There you are.

6 hours ago, sonodynesrp205 said:

At first I thought about the Lumin D2 (all on one solution), I also like the T1 (used), but somehow I am most drawn to the U1 mini and Pontus II.

regards,
Simon

Simon how are connecting them, I am waiting for Audioquest Diamond AES/EBU to connect the Mini and Terminator , I dont hear much praise for USB connection

I don’t know if this is an API question, a question for Lumin or Quboz. 

I started my subscription with Quboz. It works excellent except that I have an issue with sorting favourites in Lumin U1 Mini. The appear to sort in a random order. I want them to be sorted in alphabetic order by Artist followed by Album Titel. This works with my own files but not with the favourites from Quboz I selected in Lumin.

Is there a solution to this?

3 minutes ago, HH_miller said:

Nothing beats a source first upgrade :-)

Just received the X power supply for my U1, this is a sweet upgrade. It has certainly surpassed my expectations, more of everything with a very airy presentation.

Well done Lumin!

Very good to hear.  Don't forget to check out one of the offerings for a replacement umbilical cord from the PS to the U1!

Denafrips Terminator + DAC fed by a Denafrips GAIA DDC, HTPC running JRiver MC, iFi PRO iCAN Signature headphone amp, Marantz AV8805, OPPO BDP-105 for SACD ripping, Sony UBP-X100ES for watching and listening, McIntosh MC1201s Front L/R with Bryston powering the remaining 5 channels, B&W N-801s, B&W HTM-1 in Tiger Eye, B&W 801 IIIs on the sides and in the rear, JL-F212 sub, ReVOX PR-99Mk II, Rega P10 and Alpheta 3, PS Audio Nuwave Phono Amp, Audeze LCD-4 and LCD-XC, UE18 IEMs, Sony CD3000 rebuilt, Sony VPL-VW995ES laser projector, Joe Kane Affinity 120" screen, Cables: Cardas Clear Beyond speaker, Wireworld Platinum Elite 7 RCA, custom (by me) XLRs using affordable, quality parts 🙂

Just now, HH_miller said:

At least two have offerings on their page audiosensibility.com and westminsterlab.com. I am convinced that custom cable makers like sablonaudio.com will be able make one as well.

I have the Westminster at 0.6m which, I believe, is their shortest.

Denafrips Terminator + DAC fed by a Denafrips GAIA DDC, HTPC running JRiver MC, iFi PRO iCAN Signature headphone amp, Marantz AV8805, OPPO BDP-105 for SACD ripping, Sony UBP-X100ES for watching and listening, McIntosh MC1201s Front L/R with Bryston powering the remaining 5 channels, B&W N-801s, B&W HTM-1 in Tiger Eye, B&W 801 IIIs on the sides and in the rear, JL-F212 sub, ReVOX PR-99Mk II, Rega P10 and Alpheta 3, PS Audio Nuwave Phono Amp, Audeze LCD-4 and LCD-XC, UE18 IEMs, Sony CD3000 rebuilt, Sony VPL-VW995ES laser projector, Joe Kane Affinity 120" screen, Cables: Cardas Clear Beyond speaker, Wireworld Platinum Elite 7 RCA, custom (by me) XLRs using affordable, quality parts 🙂

8 minutes ago, Mat said:

Just got my U1 mini.

Is this normal that on last 2 word display the brightness is dimmer comparing to the first word ?

20210428_190627.jpg

Yes at least it is on my X1.  I believe it may be that way to indicate "more to follow" but I could be wrong.

21 minutes ago, HH_miller said:

At least two have offerings on their page audiosensibility.com and westminsterlab.com. I am convinced that custom cable makers like sablonaudio.com will be able make one as well.

I think I'll have to stick with my own home brewed custom cables rather than pay those prices which are beyond my reach.....but thank you for the information!

5 minutes ago, vintageaxeman said:

I think I'll have to stick with my own home brewed custom cables rather than pay those prices which are beyond my reach.....but thank you for the information!

Good deal.  I will also stick with the $1.25 USD line fuse as well.  My ears can hear differences in some things like cables and such but not with fuses.

I do not encourage people to DIY the umbilical cord as it is difficult to make.  Many years ago we also came across one that was supposedly professionally made but overheated.  In another forum audiosensibility explained the component cost is 2/3 of the price, due to the high cost of OCC silver.

We do not endorse third party accessories or cables.

Peter Lie

LUMIN Firmware Lead

Just now, wklie said:

I do not encourage people to DIY the umbilical cord as it is difficult to make.  Many years ago we also came across one that was supposedly professionally made but overheated.  In another forum audiosensibility explained the component cost is 2/3 of the price, due to the high cost of OCC silver.

That seems correct.  Westminsterlabs, on the other hand, does not use "precious" metals in their offerings unless I am wrong.