IGNORED

LUMIN - Audiophile Network Music Player

7 hours ago, FIndingit said:

Do you completely turn off your phone/pad when you start listening and cannot check the sample rate on the app?

The Lumin displays information for various reasons.  The name of the song, the bit and sample rate, the progress of the song (clock face)....all these could be found on the app but the display CONFIRMS the parameters of actual playback.  These are NOT reductant information.

And what if you did a sample rate upscale  (X2, X4 sample rates), a format conversion (PCM to DSD) or you need a confirmation that you are indeed playing MQA instead of normal 44.1KHz sampling of a MQA encoded track?  Only the Lumin display can validate that this is happening.

Ever since my first Lumin A1 in 2013, I have been plagued with this problem, the inability to confirm actual playback bit and sample rate from my listening position.  During the first few months, I was actually playing  MP3 without  knowing that JRiver converted all my AIFF and FLAC playback to MP3.  I only noticed it one day when I was close enough to observe the display.

(Audio)

3 hours ago, Audio said:

I have been plagued with this problem, the inability to confirm actual playback bit and sample rate from my listening position

what about moving closer when setting up your system then, once everything is as you want it, just forget about it?

settings won't change by themselves but tracks, during a playback session... will 😉

Qnap HS-264 NAS (powered by an HD-Plex 100w LPS) > Cirrus7 Nimbini v2.5 Media Edition i7-8559U/32/512 running Roon ROCK (powered by a Keces P8 LPS) > Lumin U2  > Metrum Acoustics Adagio NOS digital preamplifier > Metrum Acoustics Forte power amplifier (or  First Watt SIT 3  power amplifier or Don Garber Fi "Y" 6922 tube preamplifier + Don Garber Fi "X" 2A3 SET power amplifier, both powered from an Alpha-Core BP-30 Isolated Symmetrical Power Transformer) > Klipsch Cornwall III

headphones system:

Cirrus 7 > Lumin U2 > Metrum Acoustics Adagio > Pathos Aurium amplifier (powered by an UpTone Audio JS-2 LPS) > Focal Clear headphones

Just now, Hypercell said:

Hello Peter,

Is the umbilical cable connecting the X1 power Supply the same of the standard A1 Power Supply?

Thank you for the answer

No, The X1 power supply uses a different plug at both ends to connect to the X1 Streamer. However, the X1 power supply can be ordered with a special cable free of charge to connect to the A1, T1, or S1.

1 minute ago, vintageaxeman said:

No, The X1 power supply uses a different plug at both ends to connect to the X1 Streamer. However, the X1 power supply can be ordered with a special cable free of charge to connect to the A1, T1, or S1.

Thank you for the answer, so you mean that in the cable connecting X1 ps to the A1 the two connectors are different, right?

24 minutes ago, vintageaxeman said:

Yes. The connection to the X1PSU is the same, but the S1 has the same older style plug as the A1 and T1 of course. Here is a photo of my X1 PSU to S1 Streamer cable. The plug for the X1PSU is on the left. The plug to go into an A1, T1 or S1 streamer is on the right.

IMG_1959.jpeg

Is that the cable that Lumin supplied or a custom cable of your own manufacture?

Denafrips Terminator + DAC fed by a Denafrips GAIA DDC, HTPC running JRiver MC, iFi PRO iCAN Signature headphone amp, Marantz AV8805, OPPO BDP-105 for SACD ripping, Sony UBP-X100ES for watching and listening, McIntosh MC1201s Front L/R with Bryston powering the remaining 5 channels, B&W N-801s, B&W HTM-1 in Tiger Eye, B&W 801 IIIs on the sides and in the rear, JL-F212 sub, ReVOX PR-99Mk II, Rega P10 and Alpheta 3, PS Audio Nuwave Phono Amp, Audeze LCD-4 and LCD-XC, UE18 IEMs, Sony CD3000 rebuilt, Sony VPL-VW995ES laser projector, Joe Kane Affinity 120" screen, Cables: Cardas Clear Beyond speaker, Wireworld Platinum Elite 7 RCA, custom (by me) XLRs using affordable, quality parts 🙂

7 minutes ago, FIndingit said:

Since the wishing well is open, I would like to have:

- Qobuz pdf booklets on iOS app

- Larger back arrow on iOS app

- A way to hide some of the Qobuz album info (the year) in search listing to have more space for track names

- Even better sq

I second the request for pdf booklets for both Qobuz and my own library.  Auralic offers this feature.

10 hours ago, pl_svn said:

what about moving closer when setting up your system then, once everything is as you want it, just forget about it?

settings won't change by themselves but tracks, during a playback session... will 😉

Easy for you to say.

I got a small room and I am already sitting 6 ft away from my Lumin.  How much closer do you want me to sit?  3 ft?  All the displays on my Ayre QX-5, Ayre KX-R and my Denon AVC-X8500H, I can read but the Lumin bit and sample rate, it is almost impossible to read.  Even the X2 image.

Like I say again, the Lumin display is a verification / confirmation of the playback parameters.  It is not about any changes.

(Audio)

IMG_8290.jpeg

IMG_8291.jpeg

10 minutes ago, Audio said:

Easy for you to say.

I got a small room and I am already sitting 6 ft away from my Lumin.  How much closer do you want me to sit?  3 ft?  All the displays on my Ayre QX-5, Ayre KX-R and my Denon AVC-X8500H, I can read but the Lumin bit and sample rate, it is almost impossible to read.  Even the X2 image.

Like I say again, the Lumin display is a verification / confirmation of the playback parameters.  It is not about any changes.

(Audio)

IMG_8290.jpeg

IMG_8291.jpeg

Just trying to offer a non-software related solution here but would it be a possibilty to move the Lumin from underneath that piece of equipment and move it to the space in front toward your seating area in front of the remotes or is that something that is not fixed in place?

Denafrips Terminator + DAC fed by a Denafrips GAIA DDC, HTPC running JRiver MC, iFi PRO iCAN Signature headphone amp, Marantz AV8805, OPPO BDP-105 for SACD ripping, Sony UBP-X100ES for watching and listening, McIntosh MC1201s Front L/R with Bryston powering the remaining 5 channels, B&W N-801s, B&W HTM-1 in Tiger Eye, B&W 801 IIIs on the sides and in the rear, JL-F212 sub, ReVOX PR-99Mk II, Rega P10 and Alpheta 3, PS Audio Nuwave Phono Amp, Audeze LCD-4 and LCD-XC, UE18 IEMs, Sony CD3000 rebuilt, Sony VPL-VW995ES laser projector, Joe Kane Affinity 120" screen, Cables: Cardas Clear Beyond speaker, Wireworld Platinum Elite 7 RCA, custom (by me) XLRs using affordable, quality parts 🙂

36 minutes ago, Audio said:

Like I say again, the Lumin display is a verification / confirmation of the playback parameters.

forgive me... to each his own obsession(s) 😉 ... but again: once set the way you like 'em... those parameters will *not* change by themselves. *never*!

just trust Lumin and be sure that if, eg, a 2x upsampling was set for a given bit/sample rate... that's what you'll get each and every time untill *you* change it

so... set the parameters the way you want, start playback, move close to your Lumin to check (a few seconds are enough), then move back to you listening position, relax and just enjoy the music

(rinse and repeat only next time you want to change something)

Qnap HS-264 NAS (powered by an HD-Plex 100w LPS) > Cirrus7 Nimbini v2.5 Media Edition i7-8559U/32/512 running Roon ROCK (powered by a Keces P8 LPS) > Lumin U2  > Metrum Acoustics Adagio NOS digital preamplifier > Metrum Acoustics Forte power amplifier (or  First Watt SIT 3  power amplifier or Don Garber Fi "Y" 6922 tube preamplifier + Don Garber Fi "X" 2A3 SET power amplifier, both powered from an Alpha-Core BP-30 Isolated Symmetrical Power Transformer) > Klipsch Cornwall III

headphones system:

Cirrus 7 > Lumin U2 > Metrum Acoustics Adagio > Pathos Aurium amplifier (powered by an UpTone Audio JS-2 LPS) > Focal Clear headphones

I think wherever there's clever people joking is part of the game (... if not *most* of it 😉) and it definitely looks @Audio took comments/suggestions the right way 🙂

headphones system:

6 hours ago, Audio said:

It's fortunate that you guys are NOT in the Lumin team.  :)

(Audio)

Touché.  Please know that I, for one, meant nothing disrespectful but only was trying to add a bit of humor in an otherwise outright miserable time the whole world is having to deal with.