IGNORED

LUMIN - Audiophile Network Music Player

37 minutes ago, musicguy said:

I like seeing just the songs.  (I dont care about seeing artist or albums.)  

This a personal choice of course. This might be a little bit week strategy once you have thousands of album. Then it is an advantage to be able to search between genres, years, songs, artist, album or composers. I have about 50,000 songs and roughly 5000 albums. It takes a excellent memory to recall all of the song by heart. But one maybe rembers the genre, year, artist or album to find what I'm looking for. Then the search engine is really a blessing. Or I Want to play all albums by, say John Lee Hooker or chose among the compositions by Frantz Schubert...

So in order to ger the full potential over time it is worth while to have a good order and structure already from the beginning. Most often I also replace the cover to have at least 600 pixels in order to be able see it properly on the screen.

That is my view on it.

3 hours ago, musicguy said:

I have really been enjoying my new lumin

I have a hard drive hooked up with my own music.  I can see and play music from it.  But I can only get the folders to show.  I normally like just seeing songs.  I cant get the screen below  on my ipad.  I have never seen this option appear on my ipad.  I can only see artist and the album i ripped.  

Browse: Sort

This is normal when just connecting a Hard Disk Drive directly to LUMIN via USB.
To gain the 'Tag Browsing', please use a Computer or NAS running a good server such as Minimserver.

Associated with LUMIN - The Audiophile Network Music Player.

@Ropet

Totally get what you are saying.   I can select artiest then album if i like.  

I also enjoyed just scrolling through all the music by songs.  Sometimes i see something i haven't heard in a while.  Kind of like a large shuffle juke box.   That's why i would like to just see songs listed.   Its not that i only want to select by song all the time.  But right now i don't even have that option.  That's what I'm trying to fix.

M usicguy

Just now, musicguy said:

@thingswelike

That is what i have been doing.  Direct hard drive to lumin.

Thanks for the info

If a more plug-and-play option is preferable, then please consider LUMIN L1 - it behaves as a USB hard disk when plugged into a computer and then automatically becomes a music server when on the network - it is obviously optimised for LUMIN tag browsing.
When moving to Tag Browsing, it's important to ensure that your music is tagged correctly - MP3Tag can do this automatically.

Associated with LUMIN - The Audiophile Network Music Player.

5 minutes ago, thingswelike said:

MP3Tag can do this automatically.

Thanks for this remark. I mentioned only MinimServer2 previously. That is the music server that is fit for Lumïn's all options. One need as well a tagging tool of course and I also use Mp3Tag which is a perfect match for MinimServer -> Lumïn U1 Mini

16 hours ago, DrNikonian said:

The gain of my preamp is +12 dB. So in the Lumin settings of Analog Audio Output Level, should I set Normal or Low?

This is system and to a less extent (type of) music dependent.

If it sounds too loud for you or causing the usable volume range in the preamp to be too limited, then set it to Low.  Otherwise Normal is the default.

Peter Lie

LUMIN Firmware Lead

@wklie

Just to be clear, as I have not seen this topic brought up here.

With the new version of Minimserver - Minimserver 2.0.x - Is Lumin's recommendation to use the free Starter edition of the software for NAS server functionality of Lumin App?

In the past, using Minimserver 0.8.x, I have had mixed results, when changing settings. These are no longer available in the free version (i.e., settings such as "reversename" have worked well, while others, not so well).

FWIW, I do not wish to use the Folder option. I know that most of the settings work when using this view.

"The function of music is to release us from the tyranny of conscious thought", Sir Thomas Beecham. 

For new users, they may install the MinimServer 2, as I believe the old version packages can no longer be downloaded from the official site.

For existing users running 0.8.x with no issue, please keep using it.  We have not spent much time with MinimServer 2 at this point.

Peter Lie

LUMIN Firmware Lead

The old packages are no longer available and will no longer be upgraded. Users of 0.8 can continue to use it indefinitely w/o any updates and bug fixes.

I went ahead and installed V2. The starter (free) package of MinimServer 2 works perfectly well as does the paid version. For most users, the starter package will be all that they need. I used the "reversename" tag option on Minimserver 0.8, so I will probably pay. It's a good way to support Minimserver.

Users can sign up for the free 30 day trial to try out the new features incorporated in MinimServer 2. The trial allows you to toggle between the free and paid version to see the differences. This would of course matter only if you use tag options, profiles, etc.

FYI Warning - you must decide ahead of time. Installing, V 2 will delete 0.8, and you will not be able to go back.

"The function of music is to release us from the tyranny of conscious thought", Sir Thomas Beecham. 

3 hours ago, rodrigaj said:

Installing, V 2 will delete 0.8, and you will not be able to go back

though... a couple of months ago I installed v2.x on my Qnap NAS, replacing v0.8, and everything works just as it did before :)

Qnap HS-264 NAS (powered by an HD-Plex 100w LPS) > Cirrus7 Nimbini v2.5 Media Edition i7-8559U/32/512 running Roon ROCK (powered by a Keces P8 LPS) > Lumin U2  > Metrum Acoustics Adagio NOS digital preamplifier > First Watt SIT 3  power amplifier (or Don Garber Fi "Y" 6922 tube preamplifier + Don Garber Fi "X" 2A3 SET power amplifier, both powered from an Alpha-Core BP-30 Isolated Symmetrical Power Transformer) > Klipsch Cornwall III

headphones system:

Cirrus 7 > Lumin U2 > Metrum Acoustics Adagio > Pathos Aurium amplifier (powered by an UpTone Audio JS-2 LPS) > Focal Clear headphones

8 hours ago, wklie said:

For new users, they may install the MinimServer 2, as I believe the old version packages can no longer be downloaded from the official site.

For existing users running 0.8.x with no issue, please keep using it.  We have not spent much time with MinimServer 2 at this point.

Has Lumin ever considered developing their own, bespoke, server?  I'd hate to see MinimServer change so radically or even go away that it would render your products less than the best that they already are.

I guess the fact that they, the Lumin products, do confirm to certain standards would eliminate the potential for them to be rendered unusable.  Of course, if MinimServer eliminated access to use a free version that would be cause for concern too.

Denafrips Terminator + DAC fed by a Denafrips GAIA DDC, HTPC running JRiver MC, iFi PRO iCAN Signature headphone amp, Marantz AV8805, OPPO BDP-105 for SACD ripping, Sony UBP-X100ES for watching and listening, McIntosh MC1201s Front L/R with Bryston powering the remaining 5 channels, B&W N-801s, B&W HTM-1 in Tiger Eye, B&W 801 IIIs on the sides and in the rear, JL-F212 sub, ReVOX PR-99Mk II, Rega P10 and Alpheta 3, PS Audio Nuwave Phono Amp, Audeze LCD-4 and LCD-XC, UE18 IEMs, Sony CD3000 rebuilt, Sony VPL-VW995ES laser projector, Joe Kane Affinity 120" screen, Cables: Cardas Clear Beyond speaker, Wireworld Platinum Elite 7 RCA, custom (by me) XLRs using affordable, quality parts 🙂

54 minutes ago, BlueSkyy said:

I'd hate to see MinimServer change so radically or even go away that it would render your products less than the best that they already are.

In my view MinimServer is fantastic and version 2 Starter even better. In the old version I had to contact friends and their webservice to get everything up and running. When I installed v.2 in my Synology it was just to "push the button" and wait for the files to be uploaded and then it worked as supposed with the Lumïn app. 

There is nothing such as free dinners. I only use the free MinimServer2 Starter and made a donor as a preciation. Their on line service is one of the best I know of. Reply within 24 hours and they are very supportive. In my view there is nothing strange in that they upgrade their versions just like Lumïn. I think this is something that increases the respect.

Hi and I don't disagree with you but my point still stands.  I've paid for JRiver MC for many years through many upgrades and I may do that with MinimServer as well and I am glad that Lumin products do not rely on a single application to work.

Denafrips Terminator + DAC fed by a Denafrips GAIA DDC, HTPC running JRiver MC, iFi PRO iCAN Signature headphone amp, Marantz AV8805, OPPO BDP-105 for SACD ripping, Sony UBP-X100ES for watching and listening, McIntosh MC1201s Front L/R with Bryston powering the remaining 5 channels, B&W N-801s, B&W HTM-1 in Tiger Eye, B&W 801 IIIs on the sides and in the rear, JL-F212 sub, ReVOX PR-99Mk II, Rega P10 and Alpheta 3, PS Audio Nuwave Phono Amp, Audeze LCD-4 and LCD-XC, UE18 IEMs, Sony CD3000 rebuilt, Sony VPL-VW995ES laser projector, Joe Kane Affinity 120" screen, Cables: Cardas Clear Beyond speaker, Wireworld Platinum Elite 7 RCA, custom (by me) XLRs using affordable, quality parts 🙂

6 minutes ago, stefano_mbp said:

They don’t... afaik you can attach a usb hdd and they work ... of course in this case you loose all the added functionalities that are proper to Minimserver.

I've done that in the past and, yes, it works fine.

Thanks gents!

I forgot about the L1 and will have to see if I can find some info on it, maybe a manual, that describes it and what the underlying software is based upon.

AZ Craig, you said it's delivered with a mechanical hard drive?

35 minutes ago, AZ Craig said:

I have two L1 servers and they work great.  I really like not having to deal with NAS software as the L1 it is just load-and-go.  First thing I did was replace the spinning disk hard drive with a SSD.  Works like a champ and I don't have to worry about the day when the spinning disk goes clunk in the night.

AZ, do you find any difference in SQ between your stored music and the same music streamed? Some have claimed that streaming lower SQ a bit.