IGNORED

LUMIN - Audiophile Network Music Player

The two L1 servers that I have did have mechanical drives (it’s been a few years ago so maybe the are using SSD). Replacing the was relatively easy but you need a really long and narrow screwdriver to reach the front screws. 

I just cloned the original drive to the SSD and was good to go. It might void the warranty. So be careful. 

the L1 is super simple. Plug in the usb to your computer, drag/drop the music to it like a standard usb drive, unplug usb and plug in Ethernet cable. All done, that’s it. The server show up on the LUMIN as well as other devices I have in my home. 

Music server: Two Lumin L1 music servers

Digital to Analog Converter(s): Lumin S1, two D1s and a D2

Amplifier(s): Peachtree Audio Grand Integrated

Loudspeakers: Martin Logan Summit X

Headphones: Stax SR-009

Headphone Amplifier(s): Woo Audio WES

Chungjh 

im not sure that I’d hear the difference as I am nearly 70 and played music way too loud all my life. ;-)

Music server: Two Lumin L1 music servers

Digital to Analog Converter(s): Lumin S1, two D1s and a D2

Amplifier(s): Peachtree Audio Grand Integrated

Loudspeakers: Martin Logan Summit X

Headphones: Stax SR-009

Headphone Amplifier(s): Woo Audio WES

9 hours ago, AZ Craig said:

The two L1 servers that I have did have mechanical drives (it’s been a few years ago so maybe the are using SSD). Replacing the was relatively easy but you need a really long and narrow screwdriver to reach the front screws. 

I just cloned the original drive to the SSD and was good to go. It might void the warranty. So be careful. 

the L1 is super simple. Plug in the usb to your computer, drag/drop the music to it like a standard usb drive, unplug usb and plug in Ethernet cable. All done, that’s it. The server show up on the LUMIN as well as other devices I have in my home. 

That is correct.  Placing music into the L1 is like using a USB HDD.  When you unplug the USB cable, it turns itself into network music library mode.  It is not like a NAS because L1 does not support SMB service, so you cannot copy music from a computer to L1 via network.  For those who like to copy music files from a computer to the network music server via network, you'll have to use a (preferably fanless) NAS, or run MinimServer directly on the computer.

Strictly speaking a drive replacement voids warranty.  In case of Lumin product repairs, the original parts (including drive) must be present.  I should also mention that we never tested the use of SSD inside L1, although a few users reported success.

Peter Lie

LUMIN Firmware Lead

@wklie I’m testing Tidal Master with Lumin U1 Mini. It sounds excellent but I have some questions for my understanding.

1. Just now I play Keith Jarret Standards vol 2 MQA. It shows ”MQA 24/192” on the app but on the dac display (over AES/EBU) it shows ”24/96”. Normally AES/EBU have no issues with this resolution.
  2. When I play for examplel Wayne Shorters ”Emanon” it shows ”MQA 24/44,1” on the app but ”24/88,2” on the dac display.

My dac (Aesthetix with Burr Brown 1792A) is not doing the decoding. It is made by U1 Mini.

It sounds very good but I’m curious to know why U1 Mini does not decode MQA as indicated on the app? 

@Ropet There are two stages of MQA decoding.  MQA certified transports with digital output (like the U1 MINI you have) will only do the MQA Core decoding (first unfold).  Case 1 is transmitted in 48kHz.  MQA Core decoding yields 96kHz.  Case is transmitted in 44.1kHz.  MQA Core decoding yields 88.2kHz.  This MQA Core decoding result is the same across U1 MINI, Tidal desktop app, Aurdivana and Roon.  The MQA sample rate you see refers to the original master that went into producing the MQA track, and is a different thing from transmission rate, Core decoded rate, DAC playback rate or render rate.

Only with a MQA certified DAC and Lumin analog output products, then the MQA rendering will occur following MQA Core decoding.  MQA Rendering takes into account individual DAC hardware and is optimized for particular hardware.  I worked on MQA integration for different DAC chips from different semiconductor manufacturers, so I do know for a fact that they are different on a numerical basis.  It is because MQA rendering is tailored to individual hardware, the MQA transports cannot do the rendering universally since every DAC is different.

Peter Lie

LUMIN Firmware Lead

Don’t tell that to Roon people, they will say you are crazy because in the network world zeros are zeros and ones are ones.... 

But despite what they think, that is a reality, software impact on sound quality at the end of the chain is a reality for many peuple who compared Roon, UPNP, Audirvana.... but the reality may be that hardware has impact on that too, the best the Roon Server and network upgrade is, the best Roon will sound (ssd for the system and storage, linear power supplies for server and all network accessories, non shielded ethernet cables choosed by ear, audiophile ethernet switch for the last network meters near audio gears...), everything matters in this side of audio toys and can make UPNP sound better but can make Roon sound better too and minimize differences between software solutions.

Some will tell you to use HQplayer to make Roon Sound the way you want, but tinkering with the signal don’t make it more natural, except if the dac need that to sound better, but it’s an other problem.

MSB Reference> Ypsilon Aelius 2 >Vivid G1 or Andra3

HQPlayer >Diretta DST>Holo May>Holo Serene>Kinki ex-m7>Leedh e2 glass or DIY (Davis/Heil).

5 hours ago, Nicoben45 said:

Don’t tell that to Roon people, they will say you are crazy because in the network world zeros are zeros and ones are ones.... 

But despite what they think, that is a reality, software impact on sound quality at the end of the chain is a reality for many peuple who compared Roon, UPNP, Audirvana.... but the reality may be that hardware has impact on that too, the best the Roon Server and network upgrade is, the best Roon will sound (ssd for the system and storage, linear power supplies for server and all network accessories, non shielded ethernet cables choosed by ear, audiophile ethernet switch for the last network meters near audio gears...), everything matters in this side of audio toys and can make UPNP sound better but can make Roon sound better too and minimize differences between software solutions.

Some will tell you to use HQplayer to make Roon Sound the way you want, but tinkering with the signal don’t make it more natural, except if the dac need that to sound better, but it’s an other problem.

Well, remember what you are comparing as well.  If you are using a Renderer as a Roon endpoint, the Network protocol is Roon RAAT.  If you are using the Renderer via UPNP, that is a very different Network protocol.  And if you are using HQPlayer, you are using their own NAA, which is a third Network protocol.  Each one of these different Network protocols will interact differently with the Renderer, and very likely will produce a different noise profile at the Renderer's output.  Some Renderers may perform better with one protocol over another, but it is not likely possible to say: Roon RAAT is better than UPNP, or NAA is better than RAAT, etc, as the interaction will be different for different Renderers running different operating systems.  The best Renderer, will reduce these differences to levels which should be inaudible.

Soon I will make some measurements to have a look at how hard each of these Network protocols make the Renderer work, which protocol requires more processing on the Renderer side...  I do not know yet, but I will find out.

As to the DAC and its relationship with HQPlayer:  I would suggest that ultimately, the most natural sound, will almost always happen when the DAC is allowed to do less work.  That is when one can do all processing and oversampling of the signal in HQPlayer, and the DAC then just converts the signal to analog and drives its output.  This reduces the level of RF inside the DAC.  Now there may be some exceptions to this (and I find the Tambaqui to the only exception which I have ever heard, as it manages to sound natural even though it is doing substantial internal processing), but for most DACs this will be the case.  HQPlayer OS works exceptionally well for DACs which will allow a NOS mode on their part, like my Bricasti M3 for DSD, or Holo and Denfrips DACs, etc.

SO/ROON/HQPe: DSD 512-Sonore opticalModuleDeluxe-Signature Rendu optical with Well Tempered Clock--DIY DSC-2 DAC with SC Pure Clock--DIY Purifi Amplifier-Focus Audio FS888 speakers-JL E 112 sub-Nordost Tyr USB, DIY EventHorizon AC cables, Iconoclast XLR & speaker cables, Synergistic Purple Fuses, Spacetime system clarifiers.  ISOAcoustics Oreas footers.                                                       

SONORE computer audio

These are words full of common sense, I gladly share this vision of things.

Proving these impacts by measurement, highlighting a possible prioritization of current and developing network audio protocols would be a major advance in the objectification of certain subjective audiophile feelings, ambitious isn’t it 😊

HQPlayer >Diretta DST>Holo May>Holo Serene>Kinki ex-m7>Leedh e2 glass or DIY (Davis/Heil).

@Nicoben45, Haha, well, I am not sure what one might "prove" this way, but at least I can measure the power consumption in the Renderer for each protocol, and see if there are significant differences.  This power consumption does reflect the amount of processing going on for each protocol, as I have verified that previously; measuring, for example, the power consumption of a Sonore Renderer and how it increases as sample rate increases.

SO/ROON/HQPe: DSD 512-Sonore opticalModuleDeluxe-Signature Rendu optical with Well Tempered Clock--DIY DSC-2 DAC with SC Pure Clock--DIY Purifi Amplifier-Focus Audio FS888 speakers-JL E 112 sub-Nordost Tyr USB, DIY EventHorizon AC cables, Iconoclast XLR & speaker cables, Synergistic Purple Fuses, Spacetime system clarifiers.  ISOAcoustics Oreas footers.                                                       

SONORE computer audio

I have a question re Lumin products. Are they going to support the Tidal connect and the possible Qobuz connect? If they do will this be via a firmware upgrade or will we need to buy a new product?

thanks

Pro-ject X2(Nakoaka MP150), Musical fidelity M3CDS, Lumin D2, Parasound Hint6, PMC twenty 23

Let's say that each way is good to explore in order to hope to find a common point between protocol and potential sound impact ...

Quite a few people are working on protocols ( WNDR for Waversa, Diretta...), sorry that the way to renderer immunity to whatever goes upstream is not well lit,  the future of dematerialized musical quality depends on it. Total immunity to protocols, power consumption, electrical pollution carried by the network and server, hard drives, usb links (so affected by the usb cable, unsuitable connection for an audio stream ... or it’s the receiver that should be immune to usb signal and power wires).

Let’s sum up: the manufacturers of dacs are far from the goal, to make their machines, the analogue output of d/a conversion and output stage totally immune to what is happening upstream, the real goal is here for future, it is a fundamental problem to which solutions are sought in each small cause upstream but if all the energy deployed for the upstream was used for the immunity of the downstream, the audiophile would once and for all be reconciled with dematerialized audio (but all manufacturers of small boxes would no longer have any work,  like manufacturers of injection pumps for cars soon 🙄). We are not there for now.

19 hours ago, barrows said:

Well, remember what you are comparing as well.  If you are using a Renderer as a Roon endpoint, the Network protocol is Roon RAAT.  If you are using the Renderer via UPNP, that is a very different Network protocol.  And if you are using HQPlayer, you are using their own NAA, which is a third Network protocol.  Each one of these different Network protocols will interact differently with the Renderer, and very likely will produce a different noise profile at the Renderer's output.  Some Renderers may perform better with one protocol over another, but it is not likely possible to say: Roon RAAT is better than UPNP, or NAA is better than RAAT, etc, as the interaction will be different for different Renderers running different operating systems.  The best Renderer, will reduce these differences to levels which should be inaudible.

Soon I will make some measurements to have a look at how hard each of these Network protocols make the Renderer work, which protocol requires more processing on the Renderer side...  I do not know yet, but I will find out.

As to the DAC and its relationship with HQPlayer:  I would suggest that ultimately, the most natural sound, will almost always happen when the DAC is allowed to do less work.  That is when one can do all processing and oversampling of the signal in HQPlayer, and the DAC then just converts the signal to analog and drives its output.  This reduces the level of RF inside the DAC.  Now there may be some exceptions to this (and I find the Tambaqui to the only exception which I have ever heard, as it manages to sound natural even though it is doing substantial internal processing), but for most DACs this will be the case.  HQPlayer OS works exceptionally well for DACs which will allow a NOS mode on their part, like my Bricasti M3 for DSD, or Holo and Denfrips DACs, etc.

This sounds like a great idea. Would you mind creating a new thread for it so we can follow that already? :)

On 1/24/2021 at 5:23 AM, Nicoben45 said:

(but all manufacturers of small boxes would no longer have any work,  like manufacturers of injection pumps for cars soon 🙄)

LOL.  I see what you tried to do here and my 707 B.H.P. Dodge Charger Hellcat will always need injection pumps and injectors and fossil fuel just like I'll always need vinyl and a nude diamond stylus.  😉

Denafrips Terminator + DAC fed by a Denafrips GAIA DDC, HTPC running JRiver MC, iFi PRO iCAN Signature headphone amp, Marantz AV8805, OPPO BDP-105 for SACD ripping, Sony UBP-X100ES for watching and listening, McIntosh MC1201s Front L/R with Bryston powering the remaining 5 channels, B&W N-801s, B&W HTM-1 in Tiger Eye, B&W 801 IIIs on the sides and in the rear, JL-F212 sub, ReVOX PR-99Mk II, Rega P10 and Alpheta 3, PS Audio Nuwave Phono Amp, Audeze LCD-4 and LCD-XC, UE18 IEMs, Sony CD3000 rebuilt, Sony VPL-VW995ES laser projector, Joe Kane Affinity 120" screen, Cables: Cardas Clear Beyond speaker, Wireworld Platinum Elite 7 RCA, custom (by me) XLRs using affordable, quality parts 🙂

On 1/23/2021 at 11:06 PM, barrows said:

I suggest: context switches, CPU utilization, power consumption fluctuation.  There is a network protocol that aims to reduce fluctuation in power consumption.  I've seen a similar effort for USB audio too.  As one may expect, these are immediately dismissed by objectivists in the spirit of bits are bits.

Peter Lie

LUMIN Firmware Lead

On 1/24/2021 at 6:05 PM, Akjohnson said:

I have a question re Lumin products. Are they going to support the Tidal connect and the possible Qobuz connect? If they do will this be via a firmware upgrade or will we need to buy a new product?

We are interested in supporting Tidal Connect for existing products.

Peter Lie

LUMIN Firmware Lead

1 hour ago, wklie said:

For those who have the new Apple Mac M1, please try Lumin app on it

... there's a Lumin app version for macOS too? 😮

where do I download it from? 😶

Qnap HS-264 NAS (powered by an HD-Plex 100w LPS) > Cirrus7 Nimbini v2.5 Media Edition i7-8559U/32/512 running Roon ROCK (powered by a Keces P8 LPS) > Lumin U2  > Metrum Acoustics Adagio NOS digital preamplifier > First Watt SIT 3  power amplifier (or Don Garber Fi "Y" 6922 tube preamplifier + Don Garber Fi "X" 2A3 SET power amplifier, both powered from an Alpha-Core BP-30 Isolated Symmetrical Power Transformer) > Klipsch Cornwall III

headphones system:

Cirrus 7 > Lumin U2 > Metrum Acoustics Adagio > Pathos Aurium amplifier (powered by an UpTone Audio JS-2 LPS) > Focal Clear headphones

1029381677_Screenshot2021-01-26at09_53_29.thumb.jpg.1138361d12eab42ae61d3a58f954a6ef.jpg

😢

(doesn't show up searching the App Store on an Intel Mac)

Qnap HS-264 NAS (powered by an HD-Plex 100w LPS) > Cirrus7 Nimbini v2.5 Media Edition i7-8559U/32/512 running Roon ROCK (powered by a Keces P8 LPS) > Lumin U2  > Metrum Acoustics Adagio NOS digital preamplifier > First Watt SIT 3  power amplifier (or Don Garber Fi "Y" 6922 tube preamplifier + Don Garber Fi "X" 2A3 SET power amplifier, both powered from an Alpha-Core BP-30 Isolated Symmetrical Power Transformer) > Klipsch Cornwall III

headphones system:

Cirrus 7 > Lumin U2 > Metrum Acoustics Adagio > Pathos Aurium amplifier (powered by an UpTone Audio JS-2 LPS) > Focal Clear headphones