IGNORED

LUMIN - Audiophile Network Music Player

10 hours ago, wklie said:

Many preamps are not designed to handle a 6V rms source

... might be because 2v and 4v are, respectively, SE and XLR established output *STANDARDS*? 😉
🙄

Qnap HS-264 NAS (powered by an HD-Plex 100w LPS) > Cirrus7 Nimbini v2.5 Media Edition i7-8559U/32/512 running Roon ROCK (powered by a Keces P8 LPS) > Lumin U2  > Metrum Acoustics Adagio NOS digital preamplifier > Metrum Acoustics Forte power amplifier (or  First Watt SIT 3  power amplifier or Don Garber Fi "Y" 6922 tube preamplifier + Don Garber Fi "X" 2A3 SET power amplifier, both powered from an Alpha-Core BP-30 Isolated Symmetrical Power Transformer) > Klipsch Cornwall III

headphones system:

Cirrus 7 > Lumin U2 > Metrum Acoustics Adagio > Pathos Aurium amplifier (powered by an UpTone Audio JS-2 LPS) > Focal Clear headphones

1 minute ago, EvilTed said:

Just put some passive attenuators inline and be done with it....

http://www.rothwellaudioproducts.co.uk/html/attenuators.html

Those are the ones I use.  Great stuff!  Also, please note that the RCA versions are directional so make sure you specific source or load if and when you use them.

Denafrips Terminator + DAC fed by a Denafrips GAIA DDC, HTPC running JRiver MC, iFi PRO iCAN Signature headphone amp, Marantz AV8805, OPPO BDP-105 for SACD ripping, Sony UBP-X100ES for watching and listening, McIntosh MC1201s Front L/R with Bryston powering the remaining 5 channels, B&W N-801s, B&W HTM-1 in Tiger Eye, B&W 801 IIIs on the sides and in the rear, JL-F212 sub, ReVOX PR-99Mk II, Rega P10 and Alpheta 3, PS Audio Nuwave Phono Amp, Audeze LCD-4 and LCD-XC, UE18 IEMs, Sony CD3000 rebuilt, Sony VPL-VW995ES laser projector, Joe Kane Affinity 120" screen, Cables: Cardas Clear Beyond speaker, Wireworld Platinum Elite 7 RCA, custom (by me) XLRs using affordable, quality parts 🙂

10 minutes ago, The Computer Audiophile said:

Is there a standards document identifying this as a standard?

LOL.  Thanks, I needed that.  🙂  Maybe they are just "best practices".

Denafrips Terminator + DAC fed by a Denafrips GAIA DDC, HTPC running JRiver MC, iFi PRO iCAN Signature headphone amp, Marantz AV8805, OPPO BDP-105 for SACD ripping, Sony UBP-X100ES for watching and listening, McIntosh MC1201s Front L/R with Bryston powering the remaining 5 channels, B&W N-801s, B&W HTM-1 in Tiger Eye, B&W 801 IIIs on the sides and in the rear, JL-F212 sub, ReVOX PR-99Mk II, Rega P10 and Alpheta 3, PS Audio Nuwave Phono Amp, Audeze LCD-4 and LCD-XC, UE18 IEMs, Sony CD3000 rebuilt, Sony VPL-VW995ES laser projector, Joe Kane Affinity 120" screen, Cables: Cardas Clear Beyond speaker, Wireworld Platinum Elite 7 RCA, custom (by me) XLRs using affordable, quality parts 🙂

16 minutes ago, The Computer Audiophile said:

Is there a standards document identifying this as a standard?

uh-oh... looks actually there is not 🤔
(or at least... I couldn't find it)

though 2v and 4v is what for decades (almost) everyone agreed upon

lately, though, many are going for 2.5/3-5/6v

I remember Cees Ruijtenberg (Metrum Acoustics) saying that's just to have better noise *numbers* to publish in specs/web pages 🙄

Qnap HS-264 NAS (powered by an HD-Plex 100w LPS) > Cirrus7 Nimbini v2.5 Media Edition i7-8559U/32/512 running Roon ROCK (powered by a Keces P8 LPS) > Lumin U2  > Metrum Acoustics Adagio NOS digital preamplifier > Metrum Acoustics Forte power amplifier (or  First Watt SIT 3  power amplifier or Don Garber Fi "Y" 6922 tube preamplifier + Don Garber Fi "X" 2A3 SET power amplifier, both powered from an Alpha-Core BP-30 Isolated Symmetrical Power Transformer) > Klipsch Cornwall III

headphones system:

Cirrus 7 > Lumin U2 > Metrum Acoustics Adagio > Pathos Aurium amplifier (powered by an UpTone Audio JS-2 LPS) > Focal Clear headphones

7 minutes ago, pl_svn said:

uh-oh... looks actually there is not 🤔
(or at least... I couldn't find it)

though 2v and 4v is what for decades (almost) everyone agreed upon

lately, though, many are going for 2.5/3-5/6v

I remember Cees Ruijtenberg (Metrum Acoustics) saying that's just to have better noise *numbers* to publish in specs/web pages 🙄

Also, there were line levels specified for professional and consumer equipment types the latter being implemented to save costs.  IEEE and the Audio Engineering Society may have standards but you have to pay dearly to view them.

4 hours ago, atlerovik said:

Streaming-only customers should use Roon or some other software.  If that is the case, I think potential buyers ought to be informed about this. I bought a product costing me quite a lot of money, and the software-part of the product is not holding up to the expected standard when I am forced into the music library settings whenever launching the app. Seems that there is a hidden cost when purchasing Lumin: Roon.

You could logout Tidal from Lumin app, then try the free Linn Kazoo app.  There are other OpenHome / UPnP control points you may use with Lumin, even including JRiver or Audirvana.

Peter Lie

LUMIN Firmware Lead

3 hours ago, pl_svn said:

... might be because 2v and 4v are, respectively, SE and XLR established output *STANDARDS*? 😉
🙄

Lumin X1 / T2, dCS, Chord, Total DAC all have 6V rms balanced output.  Mytek is even higher.

With a direct to amp or passive preamp setup, you do need higher than 4V.

Peter Lie

LUMIN Firmware Lead

15 minutes ago, wklie said:

With a direct to amp or passive preamp setup, you do need higher than 4V.

still depends on the amp or passive pre (... and loudspeakers!)

higher than 4v *might* help in some scenarios but "breakes/annoys" in many more

at least Chord makes the output user-adjustable 😉

headphones system:

great! one can't but love Lumin 😍

headphones system:

5 hours ago, wklie said:

You could logout Tidal from Lumin app, then try the free Linn Kazoo app.  There are other OpenHome / UPnP control points you may use with Lumin, even including JRiver or Audirvana.

Thanks for the reply. At least, a bit better. Still would prefer using the Lumin app, though. Out of curiosity (and also frustration), why is it you can’t just allow users to enable or disable music server/library?

41 minutes ago, atlerovik said:

Thanks for the reply. At least, a bit better. Still would prefer using the Lumin app, though. Out of curiosity (and also frustration), why is it you can’t just allow users to enable or disable music server/library?

Is this an Android problem? I have disabled the server function in the app somehow and it never pops up any windows in ios. It used to though. Shows only Qobuz and tuneln logos now. Maybe it helps that there are no servers visible in my network. 

Say NO to ROON

11 minutes ago, FIndingit said:

Is this an Android problem? I have disabled the server function in the app somehow and it never pops up any windows in ios. It used to though. Shows only Qobuz and tuneln logos now. Maybe it helps that there are no servers visible in my network. 

No, it’s on IOS. Do you remember how you disabled it? I cannot find anywhere to do that.

11 hours ago, chungjh said:

To decrease the sibilance around 5 kHZ, how about using the equalizer function in Roon Nucleus.

If decreasing analog output level helped with the sibilance, then it proved you had a clipping problem.  I don't think doing DSP is the right way to fix clipping.

Peter Lie

LUMIN Firmware Lead

5 hours ago, wklie said:

This is a misunderstanding.

I'm not surprised that I misunderstood, Peter. I was a bit confused, so thank you for correcting my misunderstanding.

However, I'm still not 100% clear.

I was not the only one who recalled a conversation about Leedh processing and something about "below 60%", I know that because another forum member commented to me that he recalled the 60 issue being raised too.

I thought that the conclusion pointed to that when Leedh was chosen in Settings, Leedh processing worked above 60 on the Lumin volume control, but that below 60, the ordinary volume control system (non-Leedh) took over.

Please could you kindly clarify, therefore, what the situation is, if you can recall the discussion points too.

I will be very pleased if you can confirm that Leedh processing functions all the way from volume 0 to 100. :-)

Thank you.

6 hours ago, wklie said:

This is a misunderstanding.

I did, however, find a comment from June 9, 2020, that indicated that Leedh processing went non-linear or lossy with attenuation settings greater than  -30 decibels indicating that setting above (or below depending on how you look at it) should be avoided.

(PS.  I was the person that vintageaxman was referring to regarding the 60% setting)

1 minute ago, BlueSkyy said:

I did, however, find a comment from June 9, 2020, that indicated that Leedh processing went non-linear or lossy with attenuation settings greater than  -30 decibels indicating that setting above (or below depending on how you look at it) should be avoided.

So I wonder if Peter could clarify if that IS the case, and if so, what point on the Lumin Leedh volume scale of 1-100 does -30dB represent? Thanks, BlueSkyy and Peter.